PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hog Meat & seasoning.........

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 09:45 AM
ok,
for those of you who partake of the wildlife raoming thru all of our yards......
how do you season your Hog meat whne preparing as sausage (with or wioth out the sausage skin)????? :huh

the reason I ask is : MY father in-law has always seasoned ours , and it's worked out good for multiple uses. He just uses some Kosher salt, peppercorns and maybe a little cumin.

Well tuesday my mother in law comes up to see us with 3 packages of Hog Meat and warns me :"these were seasoned by Uncle Benny.. so they are different"
Well she wasn't shittin' me! I defrosted one of those bad boys to make chili yesterday.. and i swear it was chok full of freakin twigs and crap. I'm not even sure what all he put in there but I swear I saw some whole coriander seeds!
I had allready made the beans ahead of time so I HAD to go on and finish the chili.... but it has a strange flavor. Weird... nutty.

I'd always assumed there was just one way to flavor hog meat........ am I wrong?
How do you do it?

Flea
06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I have a hard time eating wild hog. The flavor is too intense.
:lol at the twigs.

travis2
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
I have a hard time eating wild hog. The flavor is too intense.
:lol at the twigs.

That is a big function of how large the hog is. A young pig is absolutely incredible.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a wild pig over 100 lbs or so. Others here may have different threshholds.

As to the spicing...I can't help you there, ObiWan. We don't spice the venison and pork separately...only when we mix it just prior to grinding.

06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Normally, I just take mine to Broadway Lockers for pan sausage and take the ribs (I quarter them in the field) for the pit. I don't have the facility to make sausage, but a running buddy of mine does. I ring him up to see what he uses.

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Normally, I just take mine to Broadway Lockers for pan sausage and take the ribs (I quarter them in the field) for the pit. I don't have the facility to make sausage, but a running buddy of mine does. I ring him up to see what he uses.

Thanks.

Sportcamper
06-09-2005, 10:36 AM
http://www.springhillphoto.co.uk/images/wild-hog-web2.jpg

EAT MORE BEEF!

travis2
06-09-2005, 10:41 AM
http://www.springhillphoto.co.uk/images/wild-hog-web2.jpg

EAT MORE BEEF!

ummmm...wrong kind of wild hog there, Jimbob...closer to this:

http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/hog-hunt/hog-hunting-2.jpg

Sportcamper
06-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Mine just looks so sad though..... :lol

Shelly
06-09-2005, 10:49 AM
and i swear it was chok full of freakin twigs and crap

He was adding fiber to bring on the crap part! :lol

06-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok, Obiwan, if you're going to make smoked sausage, here's what I've done with my running buddy in the past:

Make a big patty of about 15 lbs on the table.

White the top with salt. Mix thoroughly.

Make patty again.

Black the top with pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Make patty again.

Add Garlic Powder to taste (about 1/2 amount of salt & pepper is how he does it) or fresh garlic (my preference using the canned kind that you see at HEB).

Final mix.

Stuff then Smoke for at least 8-10 hours for taste using your choice of hardwood.

Done.

But if you're making pan sausage, try this:

Pan sausage is a trial by fire effort.

Good thing is that you can make a smaller increment and heat some up to taste until you get the recipe like you want it.

We use salt, pepper, LOTS of sage, and some red pepper depending on the attitude at the time.

I've been making it often at the house this year as I didn't have any made by the processors last year.

When I see ground pork at the grocery store in 1lb increments I'll buy some and mix it 65/35 deer to pork. The ratio is your call. Some like 50/50. I like mine a little leaner. Don't go beyond 70/30 because you need the fat content in the sausage or it won't fry good in a pan.

I mix the meat thoroughly and make it into a patty. I then add the spices to taste. It usually takes me 1-2 pieces in the frying pan before I get it right.

Once made, I make rolls that I cover in wax paper and I'm golden.

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 12:25 PM
thanks for the ideas 1369!! I think we'll be doing our own from now on , or making sure my father in law does it and doesn't pass the buck to uncle "twigs and stuff".!!! :lol

I usually use it for patties and chili. Unless I get it processed in rolls.