PDA

View Full Version : Butler impresses in rehab

dallaskd
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle may have opened the door for Caron Butler to return in time for the Western Conference finals, just three days after team president Donnie Nelson called that idea "next to impossible."

"He's now at a point where he's dunking the ball and he's making more and more progress," Carlisle said Tuesday. "When he's back, he's going to be back 100 percent. Timetable-wise, I don't know exactly when that's going to be. I'll tell you what, it's [Butler's aggressive rehab] something that's energized our team, really since he took his knee cap and shoved it four inches back into place on Jan. 1 in Milwaukee."

That's when and where Butler ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee. He underwent surgery a few days later in Dallas. The Mavs quickly ruled him out for the season, but Butler has consistently set a goal of returning during the playoffs. Butler has dropped hints since the first round that he could soon be cleared for physical contact, which would seemingly pave the way for the rugged small forward to put on the uniform.

However, prior to the start of the second-round series against the Los Angeles Lakers, Carlisle adamantly ruled Butler out for the duration of the series. On Saturday, the day before the series-clinching Game 4, Nelson said a return by Butler at any point moving forward would be "next to impossible."

Yet, when asked for clarification, specifically if he was prepared to rule Butler out for the Western Conference finals, which start either Sunday or Tuesday against Oklahoma City or Memphis, Carlisle cut off the conversation.

"I'm not going to talk about a a timetable because I'm not a doctor," Carlisle said.

But, Carlisle does consult with doctors that constantly examine and monitor Butler's progress.

"I'm not going to comment on it," Carlisle said.

The Butler topic came up when Carlisle was asked if he could have imagined the team making this deep of a run if he had been told earlier in the season that he would lose Butler and Rodrigue Beaubois would be a non-factor.

Carlisle then delivered a 2-minute monologue on Butler's inspiration to the team and how Beaubois has contributed despite being displaced to the end of the bench.

"I believe both guys have had an impact," Carlisle said. "Caron, just simply being here every day and doing what he's doing is an incredible source of inspiration for all of us. I can't even begin to explain to you his positive attitude, the work that he's putting in; he's in here two or three times a day."

The dunking Carlisle brings up isn't something entirely new for Butler in his recovery process. He's been working on the court with assistant coaches for some time now. However, as of recently, he had not started working on lateral movement, an area crucial to playing in games. It's not clear how far he has progressed in that area.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6521524

mavsfan1000
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Great attitude. But I don't want him messing with our rhythm. It's just too late for him this year.

dallaskd
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Great attitude. But I don't want him messing with our rhythm. It's just too late for him this year.

you feel the same about roddy as well?

mavsfan1000
05-10-2011, 09:52 PM
you feel the same about roddy as well?
Roddy is a great example of why not to implement someone coming off of injury so late in the season. But he had plenty of time to prove himself in the regular season. I guess it just wasn't his year.

dallaskd
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Roddy is a great example of why not to implement someone coming off of injury so late in the season. But he had plenty of time to prove himself in the regular season. I guess it just wasn't his year.

usually at this point i would be begging for the French Allah, but barea has been fuckin ballin' in the playoffs so far. Although i still think Roddy would be nice to match Westbrook's speed and would be huge getting to the rim vs miami's garbage PG's. Key with roddy is: dont start him and play him in 3-5 minute spurts

mavsfan1000
05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
yeah but if we suddenly acquired devin harris in a specialized move ok'ed by stern you'd be all "fuck yeah, let's get this guy in the rotation!" lmao bullsfan
The reason I don't like Butler coming is the team is moving the ball so well. If there's one thing you could complain about Butler, it's his selfishness on offense. It's like the Kings implementing Webber after his serious injury. It hurt the team more than it helped them. This team reminds me of that Kings team a little with their unselfishness.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2011, 10:05 PM
yeah but if we suddenly acquired devin harris in a specialized move ok'ed by stern you'd be all "fuck yeah, let's get this guy in the rotation!" lmao bullsfan
I'm not even sure about Harris this late in the season. The mavs are playing so well right now. Don't mess with the rhythm.

lefty
05-10-2011, 10:26 PM

I agree

Adelman fucked up with Peja in 2002

TheManFromAcme
05-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Mavs are on a roll. Play Caron in garbage time and see what happens. Mavs are a well-oiled machine right now. don't screw it up carlisle.

Muser
05-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Leave him until next season, look what happened with the Magic and Nelson in 09.

Giuseppe
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Leave him until next season, look what happened with the Magic and Nelson in 09.

#15.

Just like that.

sefant77
05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
If he is really healthy and moving well, then bring him sometimes off the bench when Peja is a bad matchup (Heat finals?).

Vs James its good to have another 6-7 to 6-9 guy that isnt Peja or a stiff like Brewer.

hater
05-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I don't get it. If he's 100% according to doctors he needs to be back in the lineup. If the doctors are wrong burn those motherfuckers on a stake. That's why the fuck those doctors get paid big bucks :pctoss

We need Tuff for the Finals where Carlton's nuts will shrivel like sweet green peas.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't get it. If he's 100% according to doctors he needs to be back in the lineup. If the doctors are wrong burn those motherfuckers on a stake. That's why the fuck those doctors get paid big bucks :pctoss

We need Tuff for the Finals where Carlton's nuts will shrivel like sweet green peas.
Peja is better scorer and Marion is the better defender. The only place he could possibly fit is starting shooting guard. But I also like Stevenson's role of shutting down shooting guards to start the game and be defensive minded.