PDA

View Full Version : 80 Videogames heading to the Smithsonian for an Art Exhibit

IronMaxipad
05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
More than 80 video games, from "Donkey Kong" to "Metal Gear Solid," have been chosen by the public to be part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum's "The Art of Video Games" exhibit in Washington, D.C., starting next spring.
The exhibit will focus on the last 40 years' "evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects and the creative use of new technologies," the Smithsonian says.
Curator of the exhibit, Chris Melissinos, who also spent 15 years at Sun Microsystems, where he was chief gaming officer and chief evangelist), along with museum staffers, and an advisory group of game developers, designers, "industry pioneers" and journalists, put 240 games on a public ballot for the decision on which games should be shown.

"The games were selected based on a variety of criteria, including visual effects, creative use of new technologies, how the game fit into the narrative of the exhibition, and how world events and popular culture influenced the message of the game," the museum says on its website.
Voting was done between Feb. 14 and April 17, and an impressive 3.7 million votes were cast by 119,000 people in 175 countries.
"The winning games, along with the discussions on the forum and the emails we’ve received, show that people invested a lot of thought before casting their votes, considering (and sometimes debating) the artistic merits of each game," said the museum on its blog.
"We are thrilled that this has generated so much discussion, and hope that this is just the beginning as we continue to develop the exhibition over the next 10 months."

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/09/6613809-80-video-games-head-for-smithsonian-art-exhibit

List of games:
1943: The Battle of Midway
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
After Burner
Attack of the Mutant Camels
Bioshock
Boom Blox
Brütal Legend
ChuChu Rocket!
Combat
Desert Commander
Diablo II
Donkey Kong
DOOM II
Dune II: Battle for Arrakis
Earthworm Jim
Einhander
Fable
Fallout
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
flOw
Flower
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Goldeneye 007
Gradius V
Gunstar Heroes
Halo 2
Heavy Rain
Jumpman
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II
Marble Madness
MassEffect 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metroid Prime 2: Echos
Minecraft
Okami
Pac-Man
Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star IV
Pikmin 2
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
Pitfall!
Portal
Rez
Shadow of Colossus
Shenmue
Sid Meier's Pirates!
SimCity
SimCity 2000
Sonic Adventure
Space Invaders
Spy vs Spy
Star Fox
Star Fox: Assault
Star Strike
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator
StarCraft
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Brothers 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario World
The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Walker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tomb Raider
TRON: Maze-Atron
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Utopia
Worms Armageddon
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Zaxxon

BlackSwordsMan
05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
no mega man? teh fuck

BlackSwordsMan
05-10-2011, 10:57 PM
what is attack of the mutant camels? wtf

Dex
05-10-2011, 11:03 PM
no mega man? teh fuck

Yeah that's a glaring omission.

TLoZ representing. :tu

FF fanboys are going to be up in arms.

LOL AD&D.

baseline bum
05-10-2011, 11:15 PM
No Galaga? And Pac-Man over Ms. Pac-Man? Not having Street Fighter 2 is unforgivable.

baseline bum
05-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Mario Brothers is of course the #1 omission. That's still the most fun game ever created.

BlackSwordsMan
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
not one capcom game
shit on my chest and smear it

BlackSwordsMan
05-10-2011, 11:29 PM
nvm okami
still shit on my chest

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2011, 08:48 AM
no sport titles hahaha

wtf warcraft 2, heroes 3 or red alert is not even on the list, let alone warcraft3 or wow, or popular online mmporgs

fkn fail

METALMiKE
05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
wtf no Black Ops???

hater
05-11-2011, 09:11 AM
No Ultima???

Zork???

any Sierra titles???

Muser
05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Did any of you read the article or just look at the games? It's not just the quality of the game itself.

Muser
05-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd swap MGS2 for MGS4 though.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Mario Brothers is of course the #1 omission. That's still the most fun game ever created.

I was surprised to see that too. I guess they decided Link would be their guy for showing a character evolve from the earliest of 8 bit sprites to 3-D. Still, that game's too iconic to leave out.

Muser
05-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Brutal Legend is bullshit though, that game had nothing artsy about it.

cheguevara
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Oblivion?

NASpurs
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Okami? Check.
Shenmue? Check.
Shadow of the Colossus? Check.

My games are there.

CuckingFunt
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Brutal Legend is bullshit though, that game had nothing artsy about it.

Yeah. If I were going to include a Tim Schafer/Double Fine game, it probably would have been Psychonauts.

CuckingFunt
05-11-2011, 11:54 AM

wtf warcraft 2, heroes 3 or red alert is not even on the list, let alone warcraft3 or wow, or popular online mmporgs

fkn fail

From the article: "There will also be five games that visitors can play (for a "few minutes," the Smithsonian says), as examples of those that best demonstrate interactivity: "Pac-Man," "Super Mario Brothers," "The Secret of Monkey Island," "Myst" and ... wait for it ... "World of Warcraft" (You knew it had to to be in there, didn't you?)."

CuckingFunt
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd be curious to see the list of 240 titles that was sent out for voting. Too bad that wasn't published.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
From the article: "There will also be five games that visitors can play (for a "few minutes," the Smithsonian says), as examples of those that best demonstrate interactivity: "Pac-Man," "Super Mario Brothers," "The Secret of Monkey Island," "Myst" and ... wait for it ... "World of Warcraft" (You knew it had to to be in there, didn't you?)."

Damn your literacy!:madrun

Actually Donkey Kong's on the list so I guess Mario's in there from his humblest of beginnings as "Jumpman".

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2011, 12:11 PM
donkey kong as in kong from the hand held games? that had a double screen jumping over barrels and climbin ladders to save the princess?