PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated player in the draft

Sportspolymath
05-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I think Darius Morris, should definitely be listed in the first round of any mock draft, yet somehow people have him in the second round. The kid can do it all.

http://www.nbadraft.net/darius-morris-pure-point-guard

JamStone
05-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Good size, solid athleticism, good handle, and good maneuverability when he gets in the lane. But he's not a very good long range jumpshooter. He's also got tunnel vision from time to time, when he has his mind set to drive the ball, he forces shots at times. Even though he has a good assist total, a lot of that comes from transition and because he had the ball in his hands like 90% of the time on offense. He's got solid athleticism but he's not particularly fast for a PG at least on the NBA level. His inability to shoot is going to hurt him because he won't be able to drive and finish as easily in the NBA. Decent pro prospect, but even in this weak draft, I think he's rated correctly as a borderline first round pick.

Sportspolymath
05-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I respect your opinion, as you speak with knowledge of his game, but I think the shooting aspect is easily improved with reps from the great coaches in the NBA. Teaching someone to pass the ball is a lot harder. That's why few two guards can ever transition to the point.

JamStone
05-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I watched about 15-20 Michigan games this season. Saw about a dozen of them last year. Morris has his moments where he's passing the ball okay. But I'm not convinced he's that great of a playmaker. You put the ball in one guard's hands like 90% of the time on offense, he's going to get his share of assists. Allen Iverson had a couple seasons where he averaged 7-8 assists. Derrick Rose is taking 24 shots a game in the playoffs and still almost averages 8 assists. It's about having the ball in your hands a lot. Coach Beilein basically gave Morris the keys to the car and let him roll with it.

If you watch game in and game out, you'd see a lot of selfish plays by Morris even when he's collecting a lot of assists. Forced drives when teammates are open. Having his head down when he drives. At times he was very frustrating because he'd try to do too much when the smart play required very little. He doesn't have the blazing speed of guys like Aaron Brooks or Ty Lawson. And he doesn't have the insane athleticism of a Derrick Rose. He won't be able to finish at the rim nearly as well in the NBA as he did in college. And if you take that away from him, because he's not a great shooter, he will be much more ineffective at the next level until he gets a respectable jumper. He may or may not do that, but right now, it's not good enough.

The most underrated draft prospect for me is Scotty Hopson out of Tennessee. Size, athleticism, and innate one-on-one scoring ability to be a player in the NBA.