PDA

View Full Version : I'm insane now...

TeyshaBlue
05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
....and this is the picture that did it.

http://www.fwweekly.com/images/stories/images/5-11-2011/COVER-IMAGE.jpg

Cutting the Economy to Ribbons
Rick Perry says a no-new-taxes budget is good for business in Texas – but is it? (http://www.fwweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4747:cutting-the-economy-to-ribbons&catid=30:cover-story&Itemid=375)

coyotes_geek
05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I believe in this state it's a felony to photoshop Rick Perry's hair like that. The rest of him, fine. But not the hair!

lazerelmo
05-11-2011, 02:51 PM
So they decided to release the photo after all.

Scary.

boutons_deux
05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
We've already seen how people reacted when the cuts in property taxes reduced their school budgets and facilities and increased class sizes.

We'll see how they react if and when all these cuts hit the schools harder, close nursing homes, etc, etc.

TeyshaBlue
05-11-2011, 03:03 PM
We've already seen how people reacted when the cuts in property taxes reduced their school budgets and facilities and increased class sizes.

We'll see how they react if and when all these cuts hit the schools harder, close nursing homes, etc, etc.

Let's hope so and vote that shitbag outta Austin.

RandomGuy
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Hundreds of nursing homes could very likely close, for instance, destabilizing that industry across the state. Agencies that provide home health services likely would go out of business as well. The Children’s Health Insurance Program faces deep cuts. Hospitals would take about a $780 million hit; many would have to cut their staffs, and, industry representatives said, a few might have to close. Businesses that in turn are related to those industries could be affected as well.

Perry pooh-poohed the report, telling reporters that he has “lost faith” in the Legislative Budget Board’s abilities. And groups like the Texas Taxpayers Research Association charge that the board’s job loss figures really show the effect of the economic downturn, not the actions of state budgeters.

I don't think the Republicans and no-tax jackwagons driving this bus realize the shitstorm that is coming up fast behind them.

I, for one, am glad that the "no new taxes" crowd has a state to test their fucktarded theories in. It is, at the same time, sad that it has to be the state I am living in, and trying to raise kids in.

If this kind of bullshit draconian stupidity continues, I'm honestly not sure I would stay here. Hopefully we can elect some grownups in the next election.

You can bet that the State will be fighting lawsuits out the ass in the coming year over this budget. I wonder how much that will cost?

Fuck.

RandomGuy
05-11-2011, 04:38 PM
In most nursing homes, there are some residents who no longer have family members whose homes they might be moved to.

What she would do if those kinds of patients had to be relocated, Michael said, “is a bridge I haven’t crossed in my thinking. What do I do? Take them to a homeless shelter? A hospital? And who pays? That’s very detrimental to our economy.”

:bang

Man, the more I read the angrier I get about this.

Any libertarian fucktard want to tell me what the magic private sector solution to this is?

Let's shit on the "nanny state", fine, but give me a non-goverment solution that doesn't involve literally throwing senior citizens who can't remember what year it is out on the street. If you can't do that, then take your "small goverment" philosophy and shove it up your immoral ass.

EVAY
05-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't think the Republicans and no-tax jackwagons driving this bus realize the shitstorm that is coming up fast behind them.

I, for one, am glad that the "no new taxes" crowd has a state to test their fucktarded theories in. It is, at the same time, sad that it has to be the state I am living in, and trying to raise kids in.

If this kind of bullshit draconian stupidity continues, I'm honestly not sure I would stay here. Hopefully we can elect some grownups in the next election.

You can bet that the State will be fighting lawsuits out the ass in the coming year over this budget. I wonder how much that will cost?

Fuck.

Well, California is already the poster child for the 'no taxes' stuff. Remember that the proposition in California that passed about 25 years ago that required a 2/3 majority of the voting public to pass any state tax increase.

Then, of course, they also passed a law that required only a 51% majority to pass spending increases.

So, California, unsurprisingly, is in the worst budget situation of all the states.

Texas, however, is in a very similar boat to that of California, i.e., a huge budget deficit. Texas, however, does it without any voter involvement at all.Texas' governor just screws this state's budget all by himself. It is pretty impressive, in a totally sick kind of way.

fraga
05-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Fuckin' Perry...how he keeps winning...I have no idea...

George Gervin's Afro
05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Fuck.

Newt Gingrich's plan for 2012 is to make the country more like Texas..

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 09:09 AM
The silence of the board conservatives is deafening.

This is exactly the kind of budget that the Tea Party wants.

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 09:19 AM
The silence of the board conservatives is deafening.

This is exactly the kind of budget that the Tea Party wants.

*Psst* A board conservative created the thread.:lmao

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I've really got to learn to pass on the softballs.:depressed

EVAY
05-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Teysha,

I think you have to recognize that relatively few self-described 'board conservatives' herein would agree with a lot of what you posit. I probably a would most of the time, but lots of them just say 'gut the programs for the poor and elderly and young and cut taxes more'.

On the other hand, some of us agree that taxes must be raised in order to have a balanced fiscal program, and that, although entitlement programs are in desperate need of reform, a 'slash and burn' approach is not the proper response in a nation as wealthy as ours. Moreover, the notion that education is the place to make up monies in a budget deficit is as short sighted as it is mean.

I virtually despair of many conservatives ever understanding that one of their favorite talking points "throwing money at education' is logically fallacious. They fail to grasp that while money alone is an inadequate solution to the problems of under-performance in our public education system, that money is, nonetheless, required.

In other words, money is a necessary but insufficient causal agent in superb public education. Too often among the far right, the chant that 'we spend so much money and it does no good proves that we should stop throwing money at education". :lol Well, okay, that's a bit long for a chant, but you understand my point.

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 11:19 AM

No offense, but I have never really considered you one of the hard-core conservatives. Probably why the thing with the "mainstream" vs "extremist" website in the other thread threw me for something of a loop.

MannyIsGod
05-12-2011, 11:30 AM

You aren't a conservative. You might be what conservatives would be if the were actually, you know, conservative, but thats not what the word means anymore in regular American political discourse.

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
No offense, but I have never really considered you one of the hard-core conservatives. Probably why the thing with the "mainstream" vs "extremist" website in the other thread threw me for something of a loop.

Ah, I was just swinging at the lob you pitched me.:lol No probs, dude.:toast

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
you aren't a conservative. You might be what conservatives would be if the were actually, you know, conservative, but thats not what the word means anymore in regular american political discourse.

you lie!!!!!

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
You aren't a conservative. You might be what conservatives would be if the were actually, you know, conservative, but thats not what the word means anymore in regular American political discourse.

I used to consider myself somewhat conservative (fiscally) and independent as well.

I think the definition of that has drifted since 1995 or so.

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I used to consider myself somewhat conservative (fiscally) and independent as well.

I think the definition of that has drifted since 1995 or so.

I think you can go back earlier than that. You can thank Jerry Fucking Falwell for the Bataan Death march to the neocon right.

johnsmith
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Logic and common sense are two concepts that belong nowhere near the concepts of liberals and conservatives..........as it pertains to today's politics anyway.

lazerelmo
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I would think more libs would be on board with this. The end game of this is essential a tax on the rich. Any reduction of revenue coming from a nursing home's Medicaid payers will result in a higher rate for the self-payers. You don't really think they are going to close up shop and let 100k's of govt money walk out the door for someone else to snatch up.

Winehole23
05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
You aren't a conservative. You might be what conservatives would be if the were actually, you know, conservative, but thats not what the word means anymore in regular American political discourse.I see what you mean, but IMHO it's like religion -- everyone gets to say for himself what he is.

If demagogic nationalists, populists and theocrats have taken the moniker for themselves that hardly means that others may not describe themselves -- with the intellectual/historical consistency you emphasized -- likewise.

boutons_deux
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
BigPharma is one of the slimiest, greediest abusers of nursing home residents, in conspiracy with the in-house doctors (who get their cut), to stuff the residents full of expensive drugs paid for by Medicare/Medicaid.

MannyIsGod
05-12-2011, 12:02 PM
By all means, WH, everyone is allowed to describe themselves how they want but in modern political discourse conservative means a certain type of person and thats not Teysha Blue. Its Wild Cobra.

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I would think more libs would be on board with this. The end game of this is essential a tax on the rich. Any reduction of revenue coming from a nursing home's Medicaid payers will result in a higher rate for the self-payers. You don't really think they are going to close up shop and let 100k's of govt money walk out the door for someone else to snatch up.

Rich people don't go to nursing homes. Fail.

Winehole23
05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
By all means, WH, everyone is allowed to describe themselves how they want but in modern political discourse conservative means a certain type of person and thats not Teysha Blue. Its Wild Cobra.Modern going back how far?

MannyIsGod
05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Not very I guess. Less than 2 decades. Perhaps modern is a bad word to use and recent is better. As someone in their earlier 30s its hard to think past a time when I actually started to care about politics in the 90s. I'm pretty sure you and Teysha both have some years on me and RG so maybe thats why there's a disconnect here. We've pretty much never known an adult life where conservatives aren't much more than what the are today.

Soul_Patch
05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I think you can go back earlier than that. You can thank Jerry Fucking Falwell for the Bataan Death march to the neocon right.

Absofuckinglutely exactly. Thank you.

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Not very I guess. Less than 2 decades. Perhaps modern is a bad word to use and recent is better. As someone in their earlier 30s its hard to think past a time when I actually started to care about politics in the 90s. I'm pretty sure you and Teysha both have some years on me and RG so maybe thats why there's a disconnect here. We've pretty much never known an adult life where conservatives aren't much more than what the are today.

N00b!

Soul_Patch
05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
BigPharma is one of the slimiest, greediest abusers of nursing home residents, in conspiracy with the in-house doctors (who get their cut), to stuff the residents full of expensive drugs paid for by Medicare/Medicaid.

Ok grant it, im fairly new to reading this board at all..but it seems like each time i do, I find this fellas posts that seem to be so far out of left field, its almost a joke.

Is this just a troll account, or is this guy really for real?

MannyIsGod
05-12-2011, 01:12 PM
N00b!

lol

Winehole23
05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Fair enough. Talk of liberal and conservative means very little anymore. Rs and Ds alike are big government/big business parties. They differ mainly in how the goodies get handed out.

Winehole23
05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Is this just a troll account, or is this guy really for real?Dunno. boutons isn't distinguishable in any meaningful way from a troll. I prefer to think of him as a bot.

lazerelmo
05-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Rich people don't go to nursing homes. Fail.

:lol Just stick to that story when your are signing the paperwork before you go in.

Soul_Patch
05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Fair enough. Talk of liberal and conservative means very little anymore. Rs and Ds alike are big government/big business parties. They differ mainly in how the goodies get handed out.

This is exactly right. I try and argue this exact point all the time.

In fact, this was my exact post from earlier today, on another board talking about how the Republicans dont really have anyone to run in 2012. This board is full of hardcore racist rednecks talknig politics, mostly from east texas area. I go there for the fishing discussion, but often get sucked in by their absolutely insane rightwing (true wingnut) political board they have.

These are the exact reasons people like myself, start leaning more toward center or left, than right. Which is why im sure the republican party is struggling the way it is. There are people liek the majority here that will vote republican, regardless of issues, they are straight ticket...but the vast majority of Americans arent that way. When both parties are pretty much mirrors of each other, save a few nuanced issues, does it really matter anymore?

Forgot to add. Myself, and im sure there are others, are just sick of the hypocrites in politics. Republican and Democrat alike. They frame themselves out in words to be one thing, when in actions they are very rarely that one thing. People jump on the bandwagon, because it sounds perfect...it just rarely, if ever, is. (see our current POTUS).

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Dunno. boutons isn't distinguishable in any meaningful way from a troll. I prefer to think of him as a bot.

I think that is the general consensus.

Every once in a great while the human behind that drops the facade for a split second, but that could just be a glitch in the code. :lol

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
:lol Just stick to that story when your are signing the paperwork before you go in.

No way man, I'm goin' out like Slim Pickins did in Dr. Strangelove.

http://www.inpapasbasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Dr_Strangelove_Slim_Pickens1.jpg

boutons_deux
05-12-2011, 03:17 PM
As State Faces Deep Cuts, Texas Commits $250 Million Of Taxpayer Money To Auto Racing

At a time when Texas is dealing with a record budget deficit by slashing essential services and possibly laying off 97,000 teachers, state lawmakers have committed taxpayers to funding Formula One auto racing at a steep price: $25 million a year for the next 10 years.

The motorsport franchise left the U.S. four years ago because of low attendance, but the effort to bring it back — and base it in Texas — has been spearheaded by B.J. “Red” McCombs, the co-founder of conservative media conglomerate Clear Channel Communications. Despite being consistently ranked as one of Forbes 400 richest Americans — with a net worth last estimated at $1.4 billion — McCombs has gotten state Comptroller Susan Combs to agree to build a racing track in Austin at taxpayer expense. Austin’s city government may also invest an additional $4 million a year in tax revenue to facilitate the plan.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/12/texas-f-1-racing/

RandomGuy
05-12-2011, 03:45 PM
As State Faces Deep Cuts, Texas Commits $250 Million Of Taxpayer Money To Auto Racing

At a time when Texas is dealing with a record budget deficit by slashing essential services and possibly laying off 97,000 teachers, state lawmakers have committed taxpayers to funding Formula One auto racing at a steep price: $25 million a year for the next 10 years.

The motorsport franchise left the U.S. four years ago because of low attendance, but the effort to bring it back — and base it in Texas — has been spearheaded by B.J. “Red” McCombs, the co-founder of conservative media conglomerate Clear Channel Communications. Despite being consistently ranked as one of Forbes 400 richest Americans — with a net worth last estimated at $1.4 billion — McCombs has gotten state Comptroller Susan Combs to agree to build a racing track in Austin at taxpayer expense. Austin’s city government may also invest an additional $4 million a year in tax revenue to facilitate the plan.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/12/texas-f-1-racing/

Interesting.

Yet another "small government" conservative fishing for a market-distorting hand-out from the government?

lazerelmo
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Think of it as a Sales Tax Revenue Generator.

TeyshaBlue
05-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Formula One Racing = tbtf.

Drachen
05-12-2011, 05:15 PM

There should be a "/s" after that right?

Right?!?

Viva Las Espuelas
05-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Formula One Racing = tbtf.

I remember when the Gran Prix was held in SA for a few years.

lazerelmo
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
There should be a "/s" after that right?

Right?!?

more like a $

Drachen
05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
So you think that the "sport" which left the entire country due to lack of support will now generate 25 million + per year in tax revenue??

lazerelmo
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
So you think that the "sport" which left the entire country due to lack of support will now generate 25 million + per year in tax revenue??

It's already generated $1million for Travis county. Just $249 more to go.

Nbadan
05-12-2011, 11:11 PM

I think the emergence of wing-nut radio had more to do with the GOP progression to the right than Jerry Falwall....now every GOP candidate has to pass the wing-nut smell test, ie...be a 'social conservative'...to have any shot at major office representing Republicans...for instance, some of the new breed of tea-baggers are somewhat fiscal conservative, but every one of them is a hard-core social conservative...

Nbadan
05-12-2011, 11:14 PM

Don't blame the player because the game is broken...fix the game.

Nbadan
05-12-2011, 11:17 PM
I think that is the general consensus.

Every once in a great while the human behind that drops the facade for a split second, but that could just be a glitch in the code. :lol

At least Boutons can never be accused of playing the middle of the road on just about every issue...

Nbadan
05-12-2011, 11:18 PM

Not saying that this is a wise investment at this time, but I believe the SA grand prix generated millions in revenue for SA..

TeyshaBlue
05-13-2011, 08:41 AM
I think the emergence of wing-nut radio had more to do with the GOP progression to the right than Jerry Falwall....now every GOP candidate has to pass the wing-nut smell test, ie...be a 'social conservative'...to have any shot at major office representing Republicans...for instance, some of the new breed of tea-baggers are somewhat fiscal conservative, but every one of them is a hard-core social conservative...

I think those were almost symbiotic at the time. The emergence of talk radio predated the Moral Majority movement by a few years so your point seems solid.

boutons_deux
05-13-2011, 09:30 AM
The Bexar Appraisal District valued the luxury property at $250 million.

The hotel sued and offered up its own value: $100.5 million.

That dispute is scheduled for trial in November, but an amendment approved by the Texas House this week could make it too risky for the Bexar Appraisal District to go to court against the JW Marriott — or other large commercial property owners that sue to have their tax values lowered.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Plan-mayshackleappraisaldistricts-1377247.php#ixzz1MF7E6UwS

http://www.mysanantonio.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=987499&width=628&height=471

http://www.mysanantonio.com/real_estate/article/Plan-may-shackle-appraisal-districts-1377247.php

===========

Repugs reducing taxes on Corporate-Americans while fucking Human-Americans, yawn.

George Gervin's Afro
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM

That dispute is scheduled for trial in November, but an amendment approved by the Texas House this week could make it too risky for the Bexar Appraisal District to go to court against the JW Marriott — or other large commercial property owners that sue to have their tax values lowered.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Plan-mayshackleappraisaldistricts-1377247.php#ixzz1MF7E6UwS

http://www.mysanantonio.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=987499&width=628&height=471

http://www.mysanantonio.com/real_estate/article/Plan-may-shackle-appraisal-districts-1377247.php

===========

Repugs reducing taxes on Corporate-Americans while fucking Human-Americans, yawn.

In this bill even if you win..you could still have to pay the defendents attroneys... Nice job Texans..

boutons_deux
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
$500M to develop, but only worth $100M taxable? Every (Lie) is Bigger in Taxless.

coyotes_geek
05-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Oops.

State Rep. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, successfully added the amendment Monday to the so-called “loser pays” tort reform.

The amendment deals specifically with appraisal districts, and says that if an appraisal district loses a court fight with a property owner, it would have to pay the owner's legal expenses.

TeyshaBlue
05-13-2011, 11:34 AM
roflcopter

TeyshaBlue
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
fucking VRLWC!

RandomGuy
05-13-2011, 11:36 AM

I am sure it will generate *some* revenue.

The problem is that can be said about a great many things.

I don't see the cost/benefit panning out over the long term, and there are many other things with much better prospects in terms of payback to the economy and state treasury.

Give me $25M per year, and I am almost certain that I can do better for the state than formula one racing. Small business incubator zones, drug addiction treatment, and scholarships are things just off the top of my head that I think we could do with the money.

TeyshaBlue
05-13-2011, 11:45 AM
I am sure it will generate *some* revenue.

The problem is that can be said about a great many things.

I don't see the cost/benefit panning out over the long term, and there are many other things with much better prospects in terms of payback to the economy and state treasury.

Give me $25M per year, and I am almost certain that I can do better for the state than formula one racing. Small business incubator zones, drug addiction treatment, and scholarships are things just off the top of my head that I think we could do with the money.

I know the DFW area didn't make out too well with the Superbowl.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/06/super-bowl-tax-revenues-not-what-city-leaders-anticipated/

RandomGuy
05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
It's already generated $1million for Travis county. Just $249 more to go.

Link?

RandomGuy
05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

===========

Talk about a bad idea. I wish I could say that I am astonished at this point by the stupid shit that elected reprentatives do.

boutons_deux
05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
deep and pure red-state TX legislature is controlled by Repugs (since Repugs went racist), not Dems.

RandomGuy
05-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Oops.

D or R, it is still a stupid idea.

The guy isn't my rep, but maybe someone who is in his district can call him and jerk the leash a bit?

I am stuck with a Tea Party wannabee. :depressed

Signed up on the volunteer list for the Hays County Dems yesterday. I want Pat Rose back.

TeyshaBlue
05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
deep and pure red-state TX legislature is controlled by Repugs (since Repugs went racist), not Dems.

I see. The omniscient Repugs used the Jedi mind trick on this hapless Dem. Oh the humanity! http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

TeyshaBlue
05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

The guy isn't my rep, but maybe someone who is in his district can call him and jerk the leash a bit?

I am stuck with a Tea Party wannabee. :depressed

Signed up on the volunteer list for the Hays County Dems yesterday. I want Pat Rose back.

I'm holding a seance for Ann Richards!

boutons_deux
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Figguers some fat, corrupt SA beaner DEM would screw Human-Americans.

VRWC doesn't exclude Dems, btw. Plenty of Dems are corrupted by VRWC $$$.

coyotes_geek
05-16-2011, 10:13 AM

When talking about 9-digit property assessments, yeah, bad idea. For the average homeowner though, I think there's some merit to the idea. I've been in my current home for four years and I've had to protest my assessment four times. It sure seems to me that appraisal districts, or at least my appraisal district, just over inflates everyones assessment knowing that only a small percentage of people are smart enough to figure out that they're getting screwed. Fortunately for me I've been able to settle my protest each time, but I'd sure hate to be put into a position where I'd have to choose between paying a lawyer to help me get a fair assessment or just paying higher taxes on a bogus value.

Seems like a fair compromise here, IMO at least, would be to put a cap on the legal expenses an appraisal district would have to cover. Make it like a grand or two. That protects the small property owner against the appraisal district and it protects the appraisal district against million dollar legal fees on the mega-properties.

RandomGuy
05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
When talking about 9-digit property assessments, yeah, bad idea. For the average homeowner though, I think there's some merit to the idea. I've been in my current home for four years and I've had to protest my assessment four times. It sure seems to me that appraisal districts, or at least my appraisal district, just over inflates everyones assessment knowing that only a small percentage of people are smart enough to figure out that they're getting screwed. Fortunately for me I've been able to settle my protest each time, but I'd sure hate to be put into a position where I'd have to choose between paying a lawyer to help me get a fair assessment or just paying higher taxes on a bogus value.

Seems like a fair compromise here, IMO at least, would be to put a cap on the legal expenses an appraisal district would have to cover. Make it like a grand or two. That protects the small property owner against the appraisal district and it protects the appraisal district against million dollar legal fees on the mega-properties.

There are firms that work contingency, i.e. they don't get anything unless you do.

Protax of Austin springs to mind. (think I got the name right)

coyotes_geek
05-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I get letters from two or three of those firms every year. Most of the ones I get are wanting about half of whatever your tax savings would be. Depends on what kind of spread you're dealing with, but even as a contingency that seems pretty steep to me.

RandomGuy
05-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I get letters from two or three of those firms every year. Most of the ones I get are wanting about half of whatever your tax savings would be. Depends on what kind of spread you're dealing with, but even as a contingency that seems pretty steep to me.

1/2 would seem steep to me as well.

Seems to me you could simply use them once, see what they do, then replicate it for the next year.

lazerelmo
05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Link?

Oh My mistake, that was bond money so they could break ground without FEMA's blessing.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/entries/2010/12/14/travis_county_grants_f1_crucia.html

Of course if no FEMA approval, then it will be revenue for Travis County. :lol

Not to mention they are trying to get the investors to pony up $6million for road improvements so even with FEMA approval they'll probably never see that money again.

johnsmith
05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
While I agree with the sentiment that the Formula 1 track is a really stupid idea, speaking strictly from a construction standpoint, it's a tremendous help for a construction community in Austin that has been hammered by the economy more so than the other major cities in Texas.

As it stands right now, there is one single Construction Manager, 7 different General Contractors, and what will probably end up being well over 100 sub-contractors that will all be helping to construct the track.

That's a shit ton of jobs, and a shit ton of money for a lot of people that may otherwise have to close up shop if it weren't for this.

So it's not all bad.

johnsmith
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Figguers some fat, corrupt SA beaner DEM would screw Human-Americans.

VRWC doesn't exclude Dems, btw. Plenty of Dems are corrupted by VRWC $$$.

And has there ever been a poster in the political forum that uses more racial slurs than boutons?

ChumpDumper
05-17-2011, 01:23 PM
While I agree with the sentiment that the Formula 1 track is a really stupid idea, speaking strictly from a construction standpoint, it's a tremendous help for a construction community in Austin that has been hammered by the economy more so than the other major cities in Texas.

As it stands right now, there is one single Construction Manager, 7 different General Contractors, and what will probably end up being well over 100 sub-contractors that will all be helping to construct the track.

That's a shit ton of jobs, and a shit ton of money for a lot of people that may otherwise have to close up shop if it weren't for this.

So it's not all bad.If it's such a great idea, why do they need government handouts?

Considering the shit ton of jobs that were lost due to budget cuts, this is ridiculous.

TeyshaBlue
05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
If it's such a great idea, why do they need government handouts?

Considering the shit ton of jobs that were lost due to budget cuts, this is ridiculous.

While I agree with the sentiment that the Formula 1 track is a really stupid idea....

coyotes_geek
05-17-2011, 01:27 PM

So it's not all bad.

It's still pretty bad. We could have gotten the same boost to the construction industry by investing that money in public roads that we would all benefit from. It's not like the road system in Austin is just so awesome that we couldn't have found $250 million of worthwhile projects.

Much like our train, it's a stupid idea that taxpayers will ultimately lose a bunch of money on. But, since the money is already spent, I hope the race is a huge success and people worldwide flock to Austin to see it. I won't hold my breath on that though..........

Drachen
05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
It's still pretty bad. We could have gotten the same boost to the construction industry by investing that money in public roads that we would all benefit from. It's not like the road system in Austin is just so awesome that we couldn't have found $250 million of worthwhile projects.

Much like our train, it's a stupid idea that taxpayers will ultimately lose a bunch of money on. But, since the money is already spent, I hope the race is a huge success and people worldwide flock to Austin to see it. I won't hold my breath on that though..........

I thought that the train is doing well. That it is packed to the gills or something. I had heard that they are getting ready to have to add new trains to keep up with the demand (the article I read was about 3 months ago).

johnsmith
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

I completely agree.....I'm just saying, at least there is sort of an upside......and the way it's being built, it will touch a lot more contractors than an "equipment heavy" road job will.

johnsmith
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
If it's such a great idea, why do they need government handouts?

Right, please see Teysha's post just below yours.

RandomGuy
05-17-2011, 01:38 PM
I thought that the train is doing well. That it is packed to the gills or something. I had heard that they are getting ready to have to add new trains to keep up with the demand (the article I read was about 3 months ago).

Yes indeed. There was some thread or other here that touched on that.

I think Austin will get to be a test case for the trains in Texas.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Would this not have been done without the handout?

Would the Super Bowl not have been in Jerryworld had the NFL not received a bribe from the Texas taxpayers?

coyotes_geek
05-17-2011, 01:40 PM

The train is doing better, and I'm glad for that. We paid for it, I want it to work. But it's still a $150 million dollar train that's only carrying about 2,000 passengers per day. Not very good bang for our mass-transit buck.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2011, 01:50 PM
That first train project was the easiest one to implement, and even that one had to make compromises like the stupid eastside dog leg.

The big project that is going to make sense is the UT-Bergstrom light rail. Hopefully Cap Metro is left out of that one.

coyotes_geek
05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Yep. UT-Bergstrom is what we should have done from the beginning. That has a chance to work.