PDA

View Full Version : For the first time since 1999 ....

endrity
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
.... there will be no Kobe, Shaq, or Duncan in the NBA Finals.

No Spurs or Lakers either from the West, but Dallas already kind of interrupted that streak in 2006, and they were facing a Miami team full of veterans, Shaq, and Wade.

It really seems like the end of an era, and the new guys really taking over the league, with Durant and Rose also favoured to lead their team to conference finals.

This might be it for Dirk, he is really the last of his generation still standing.

Tinystarz
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
hey do us a favor beat memphis :lol

TE
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
We sort of already knew that.

This generation is pretty much gone.

You can also add Garnett in that mix, appearing in the 2008 and 2010 finals.

2011 is the start of a new era.

endrity
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
hey do us a favor beat memphis :lol

Might not wanna look that far ahead after what we just witnessed.

Tinystarz
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Might not wanna look that far ahead after what we just witnessed.

if i'm gonna wish I'm gonna wish big.

endrity
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
We sort of already knew that.

This generation is pretty much gone.

You can also add Garnett in that mix, appearing in the 2008 and 2010 finals.

2011 is the start of a new era.

True, KG is pretty much done. I really can't see them making another run at it, though I am sure they will try.

Darrin
05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
I tend to think this generation is not ready yet. We're in for some bad basketball because the up-and-coming teams are too young to achieve Conference Finals. I've been saying this for two years. I saw the 2010 NBA Finals and knew both the Lakers and Celtics would have to come back differently because the game looked like it was played with players using walkers.

endrity
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I tend to think this generation is not ready yet. We're in for some bad basketball because the up-and-coming teams are too young to achieve Conference Finals. I've been saying this for two years. I saw the 2010 NBA Finals and knew both the Lakers and Celtics would have to come back differently because the game looked like it was played with players using walkers.

I think the Bulls and the Thunder are young and still learning the drill. But LeBron and Wade are a bit older, they already have a finals appearance each, two MVPs. They are ready to take over right now, and only Dallas and Chicago can do something about it in the short run.

Darrin
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I think the Bulls and the Thunder are young and still learning the drill. But LeBron and Wade are a bit older, they already have a finals appearance each, two MVPs. They are ready to take over right now, and only Dallas and Chicago can do something about it in the short run.

If this Miami team was playing in 2008 among the Pistons, Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs, they would have a hard time getting anything close to a series win. This is comparatively a weaker era and the Heat will probably dominate if for no other reason than this team is old, and that one is inexperienced. It's not going to be greatness. Wake me up in five years.

endrity
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
If this Miami team was playing in 2008 among the Pistons, Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs, they would have a hard time getting anything close to a series win. This is comparatively a weaker era and the Heat will probably dominate if for no other reason than this team is old, and that one is inexperienced. It's not going to be greatness. Wake me up in five years.

That's actually true. What we thought was going to be a year full of fierce rivalries has fizzled out big time.

The Spurs proved that they were fool's gold without anything close to the defending and the rebounding necessary to really challenge for the ring.
The Lakers just imploded in front of our eyes.
The Celtics lost too much when they gave up Perkins and the two O'Neals never got healthy. The size they were supposed to have as an advantage was gone like that.
The Bulls are showing they are still a bit too young.
And the Mavs were almost done when Butler and Dirk got hurt, but somehow refound their early season form right in time.

The year that was supposed to have series going to 7 from the conference semifinals and up, has turned out a bit disappointing.

HarlemHeat37
05-11-2011, 09:10 PM
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 were extremely weak years, 2008 might be the only exception..

endrity
05-12-2011, 05:35 AM
2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 were extremely weak years, 2008 might be the only exception..

2008 was not a weak year at all. There were plenty of quality teams, and that Celtics team was a true monster. It was probably one of the best playoffs as well, with Celtics neeeding 7,7,6,6 to win each series, CP3 losing to the Spurs at home in game 7, the Spurs going at it for what really seems to be the last time. Same for the Pistons.

But with Kobe and KG reloaded that year, it seemed like the old guard was still gona dominate for a couple more years. They did, but not as long as we thought. 2011 and the Lakers and Celtics are facing touch decisions on their future.

100%duncan
05-12-2011, 06:29 AM
quite agree although I think Spurs,LA, Boston,Dallas has 1 more run left

benefactor
05-12-2011, 07:53 AM
quite agree although I think Spurs,LA, Boston,Dallas has 1 more run left
Nah. This year is Dallas' year to do it and that will probably be it. The Spurs, Lakers and Celtics are finished. Miami is likely to add more pieces to their depth over the offseason and the young teams in the West are overtaking the Lakers and Spurs before our eyes.

redzero
05-12-2011, 08:05 AM
The Mavs were not that good in 2008. The Spurs and Lakers would give the Heat a hard time. We already know what the Pistons did in the playoffs year after year. The 08 Celtics would probably win against the Heat.

endrity
05-12-2011, 06:41 PM
The Mavs were not that good in 2008. The Spurs and Lakers would give the Heat a hard time. We already know what the Pistons did in the playoffs year after year. The 08 Celtics would probably win against the Heat.

The 2008 Celtics would demolish the Heat. Their size advantage was incredible back then. The would live under the boards and at the free throw line.

daslicer
05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I personally don't care about this era coming to end. Honestly I don't give a shit about Shaq or Kobe just Duncan since he's a spur. The Duncan championship era ended in '08 so I don't give shit about this sentimental crap. I hated the Shaq-Lakers,Kobe-Gasol Lakers, The KG-Pierce Celtics. The only teams I liked during this era besides the spurs who were champions were the '06 Heat, and the '04 Pistons. I have to say good I'm happy I won't have to watch any of these guys anymore.

DMC
05-12-2011, 08:01 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/12/for-first-time-in-13-years-no-kobe-shaq-or-duncan-in-finals/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=858&q=first+time+in+13+years+no+kobe+shaq+duncan&aq=f&aqi=&aql=f&oq=