PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking for Duncan's sidekick

djohn2oo8
05-14-2011, 08:44 AM
As he has for 14 years running, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expects to be able to chisel Tim Duncan’s name into his starting lineup for the 2011-12 campaign, whenever it begins.

Though Duncan has passed his 35th birthday, he remains under contract for next season, and Popovich sees no reason to doubt the two-time MVP will return for another go-round.

“Timmy’s given me no indication he’s considering retiring, or anything like that,” Popovich said.In what has seemed to be an annual offseason ritual ever since David Robinson hung up his Nikes, the search is on for someone to be Duncan’s frontcourt running mate.

With the playoff wounds inflicted by Zach Randolph and Memphis’ bruising frontcourt still fresh, and with Antonio McDyess all but officially retired, Popovich said this week that finding a partner for Duncan will be the team’s top offseason personnel priority.

The Spurs have not ruled out exploring the trade or free-agent markets to accomplish that goal, once they open for business, but are more likely to look in-house to fill the void.

One returning candidate is 22-year-old DeJuan Blair, an undersized forward at 6-foot-7 who started 65 games, but battled weight issues and fell out of favor in the postseason. Another is 25-year-old Tiago Splitter, a 6-foot-11 former first-round draft pick who arrived last summer amid a frenzy of fanfare only to have his rookie season undermined by alternating spates of injury and inactivity.

Two weeks removed from a playoff ouster, and with plenty of offseason in front of him, Popovich hasn’t committed to anyone just yet. At times, however, he appears willing to talk himself into the dawning of the Splitter era.

“I think Tiago has to be a linchpin for our future here, because he has the size, the length, the toughness, the grit, the consistency,” Popovich said. “He’s going to be a stalwart of this team going forward.”

A limited offensive player, Splitter already has begun offseason work with Spurs shooting guru Chip Engelland to work on his free-throw stroke and to move his game a bit further from the basket. That work, however, is likely to be interrupted when Splitter joins the Brazilian national team for preparations for the Tournament of the Americas later this summer, and won’t resume until the NBA’s collective bargaining issues are settled.
Though Splitter did not spend much time paired with Duncan this season, and doesn’t have a jumper to spread the floor as McDyess did, Popovich thinks the two could coexist. For proof, he points to Fabricio Oberto, a player similar to Splitter who started next to Duncan on the Spurs’ 2007 championship team.

“We played with two bigs before, when Fab was here,” Popovich said. “Fab and Timmy were the starters, and we got it done.”
Splitter appeared in 60 games as a rookie, after missing all of training camp and the preseason with a calf injury. He did not see action in the postseason until Game 4 against Memphis, after which he became a rotation fixture.

“When you miss the entire training camp and you’re a rookie, you’re going to have a tough time in any program,” Popovich said. “After that, he got injured once or twice more. At the time, when he would get a little healthy and be available, we were rolling. DeJuan was starting, so we didn’t change it.”

Blair averaged 8.8 points and 7.3 rebounds as an unorthodox starting center. In mid-March, he was benched in favor of McDyess, whose defensive chops the coaching staff deemed more valuable in the postseason.

After Blair ballooned to nearly 300 pounds late in the season, Popovich challenged him to shed excess weight. In response, Blair dropped 20 pounds by cutting fast food out of his diet.

Heading into the summer, Popovich has challenged Blair again.
Blair’s future with the Spurs, the coach said, is not aligned with “working on his jumper or developing a jump hook. It’s not defense.”

“It’s personal discipline, responsibility and maturity,” Popovich said. “That will get him to the next level. Short of that, he’ll have a hard time.”
As it has been for nearly a decade of offseasons now, when it comes to Spurs’ big men, Duncan is the only sure thing

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/13/pop’s-offseason-goal-discover-duncan’s-sidekick/

Giuseppe
05-14-2011, 08:55 AM
He's still fuckin' around with Blair.:lmao

BRHornet45
05-14-2011, 09:09 AM
sons why does Duncan need a sidekick? shouldn't they be looking for Manu a sidekick? at least he can put up a half ass decent amount of points and can hit come clutch shots. by next season Duncan will be lucky if he can put up more than 8 points a game. what a silly article. it would be just like one reading "Lakers looking for Luke Walton's sidekick". just silly

DMX7
05-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I honestly thought he lost his sidekick phone with important people's numbers in it. THat's what I thought when I read this thread title, lol.

Bill_Brasky
05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Tiago needs to start and we need to pick up a FA that can give us decent backup minutes with Blair. I fully expect Bonner to be out by next season.

lefty
05-14-2011, 12:14 PM
“I think Tiago has to be a linchpin for our future here, because he has the size, the length, the toughness, the grit, the consistency,” Popovich said. “He’s going to be a stalwart of this team going forward.”

Oh, thank you Pop

Thanks a lot

Asshole

Frenzy
05-14-2011, 12:23 PM
They should have done this in Oct. Tim needs to be the sidekick not the other way around. Unless Tim takes some youth or unexpected hormone I don't see him doing it again. Just get rid of bonner so we have a chance got dam it :lol

Tp9gospursgo
05-14-2011, 12:26 PM
sons why does Duncan need a sidekick? shouldn't they be looking for Manu a sidekick? at least he can put up a half ass decent amount of points and can hit come clutch shots. by next season Duncan will be lucky if he can put up more than 8 points a game. what a silly article. it would be just like one reading "Lakers looking for Luke Walton's sidekick". just silly

Manu already has a sidekick in Tony. Tim is like Robinson now...he needs a younger guy to pick up his slack. *cough Tiago cough*

BlackSwordsMan
05-14-2011, 12:31 PM
its called a walker
kobe : 5
tired old shit bag: 4

MannyIsGod
05-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Son, we both know that Duncan is a shell of his former self. We also both know that you would trade both of your nuts for a chance to have Duncan on the Hornets.

God Bless.

ohmwrecker
05-14-2011, 12:51 PM
If Duncan decides to stick around, I think it would be best for the Spurs to find a suitable replacement in the post defender role and bring Tim away from the basket more into the stretch 4 role. Duncan can extend his career and be a more effective scorer if he doesn't have to bang in the post all the time.
They should have been moving toward this for a while now, tbh. Maybe Splitter is the guy. The problem is that both Blair and Bonner are severely flawed players. Whether or not McDyess retires, the Spurs are still due for a "big" upgrade. A player they need is going to be hard to get.

William Hung
05-14-2011, 12:56 PM
If Duncan decides to stick around, I think it would be best for the Spurs to find a suitable replacement in the post defender role and bring Tim away from the basket more into the stretch 4 role. Duncan can extend his career and be a more effective scorer if he doesn't have to bang in the post all the time.
They should have been moving toward this for a while now, tbh. Maybe Splitter is the guy. The problem is that both Blair and Bonner are severely flawed players. Whether or not McDyess retires, the Spurs are still due for a "big" upgrade. A player they need is going to be hard to get.

The solution is to put Dick Jeff at Center. Move Bonner to PF so he can spread the floor, and make Tim play his natural position at SF. Talk about a matchup nightmare for opposing teams! Tiago can play limited minutes at the end of the half or during blow outs.

ohmwrecker
05-14-2011, 12:58 PM
The solution is to put Dick Jeff at Center. Move Bonner to PF so he can spread the floor, and make Tim play his natural position at SF. Talk about a matchup nightmare for opposing teams! Tiago can play limited minutes at the end of the half or during blow outs.

You are a revolutionary thinker.

Booharv
05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Tiago needs to start and we need to pick up a FA that can give us decent backup minutes with Blair. I fully expect Bonner to be out by next season.

Wow, you must have just started following this team :lmao:lmao:lmao

jjktkk
05-14-2011, 01:30 PM

It certainly must be hard for diehard David West fans, Hornet fans, and unfortunatly, even the people of the city of New Orleans, to constantly get shit on by greatness of Tim Duncan and the city of San Antonio. I can certainly feel for you BR, always having to look up to the Majestic silver and black. But at least you finally got a great white player in Aaron Gray to give you hope for the future.

Muser
05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Splitter just getting the second year faggot treatment Pop gives all rookies.

Mavillionaire
05-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Pop, the ultimate troll :lmao

NewcastleKEG
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Spurs should trade Parker to the Lakers for Odom

#41 Shoot Em Up
05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Old nigga will be in da grave before dey find him one lol

Gold Tooth Carl
05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
It certainly must be hard for diehard David West fans, Hornet fans, and unfortunatly, even the people of the city of New Orleans, to constantly get shit on by greatness of Tim Duncan and the city of San Antonio. I can certainly feel for you BR, always having to look up to the Majestic silver and black. But at least you finally got a great white player in Aaron Gray to give you hope for the future.

The only thing San Antonio has on New Orleans is fat bitches. My boy Luva would be in hog heaven there