PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 of the Pistons-Lakers 2004 Finals

Red Hawk #21
05-14-2011, 05:15 PM
So I watched Game 1 and Game 2 of the Lakers-Pistons finals in 04. It's been quite some time since I've seen this series, so I've noticed some things. The Pistons played some standout defense. The whole team could play defense, but Prince and Big Ben were excellent. Big Ben was altering shots, getting rebounds and making things difficult for the Lakers down low. Prince was also playing solid defense on Kobe, although Kobe did manage to come up big for his team in the 4th and in OT. Luke Walton (Yes, that Luke Walton) also gave the Lakers a spark, he had 8 assists and kept the ball moving. His performance in this game makes me wonder why he sucks now.

Something that stands out to me is that when Kobe hits the Game-tying 3 to send the Game into OT, only Devean George celebrates with him. What was going on in the locker room? The shot Kobe hit was so timely and clutch, but it seemed like none of the other Lakers acknowledged it. It makes me wonder... Anyway, this was probably the most exciting game of a series that the Pistons dominated. I still think if the Lakers could've gotten something from Malone and Payton it makes things much harder for the Pistons. But those guys sucked, and were former shells of themselves at that point. Here's a link for anyone who wants to see this game :
724E7DM46Cc

Ashy Larry
05-14-2011, 05:35 PM
that team just had huge problems ...... Kobe's off the court shit, Shaquille ego and looking for a new deal and "never getting hurt" Karl Malone gets injured not once but twice in that season.

You probably know why Shaquille was pissed with the bitch ass snitchin' by Bryant but on the flip side, Detroit just out played them and actually out smarted them. I mean when Shaquille had it going and couldn't be stopped, Kobe and others wouldn't feed him the ball.

On the other side, Shaquille wouldn't play any type of serious defense. I mean undersized Ben Wallace had more offensive rebounds than Shaquille had total rebounds in a close out game. They just grew tired of one another I guess and fought over the squad.

Malone was the glue that held that team together and once Scott Williams ran into his knee during the season and he got injured again in the playoffs, that left Slava Medvedenko ... lol .... to take up those minutes.

Luke Walton in Phil's eyes was a rookie and lower than whale shit.

scampers
05-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Good times.

NewcastleKEG
05-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I remember before the series telling my friends, Pistons have a shot. They have a ton of bodies to throw at Shaq. Lakers were HUUUUUUUUUGE favorites

http://www.irishpeso.com/images/lakers_reloaded_.jpg

Lakers could not match the Pistons intensity. Looking back that Game 2 win was probably the worst thing that could have happened to the Lakers, it made them take the Pistons even more for granted. Plus when players have differing motives in a Championship game it's pretty ridiculous. Ultimately Kobe was willing to lose the series than allow Shaq to have a 4th Finals MVP. At that point Shaq checked out because he knew Kobe would not allow the both of them to coexist and his time in LA was over

baseline bum
05-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I thought game 3 was the most exciting one tbh.

Technique
05-14-2011, 06:08 PM
I thought 2005 finals were more exciting tbh.

Giuseppe
05-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Especially when Kori built the Piston'ites their own wailing wall, and the sack-a-shits went in there.

:rollin

NewcastleKEG
05-14-2011, 06:11 PM
That series was EPIC

Tied going into the 4th Quarter of Game 7?

NewcastleKEG
05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
hDWru_YjLLg

Pretty ridiculious. No picks set to get Kobe open just him dribbling farther and farther from the hoop against Hamilton

dunkman
05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
that team just had huge problems ...... Kobe's off the court shit, Shaquille ego and looking for a new deal and "never getting hurt" Karl Malone gets injured not once but twice in that season.

You probably know why Shaquille was pissed with the bitch ass snitchin' by Bryant but on the flip side, Detroit just out played them and actually out smarted them. I mean when Shaquille had it going and couldn't be stopped, Kobe and others wouldn't feed him the ball.

On the other side, Shaquille wouldn't play any type of serious defense. I mean undersized Ben Wallace had more offensive rebounds than Shaquille had total rebounds in a close out game. They just grew tired of one another I guess and fought over the squad.

Malone was the glue that held that team together and once Scott Williams ran into his knee during the season and he got injured again in the playoffs, that left Slava Medvedenko ... lol .... to take up those minutes.

Luke Walton in Phil's eyes was a rookie and lower than whale shit.

When Malone got injured during the regular season, the Lakers had to overplay Horace Grant and he went down with an injury too. He was washed up, but could have played better than Medvedenko on defense and rebounding.

Medvedenko was reasonable serviceable but the Lakers lost primarily because the offense run trough Kobe that season, instead of Shaq.

The Pistons were very effective guarding Kobe, they were ineffective against Shaq but the Lakers didn't use him enough and Kobe dominated the field goal attempts, despite poor efficiency.

Phil Jax was unable to make the adjustments, Kobe at that point was very difficult to coach.

Perhaps Shaq didn't have enough stamina at that point to take +25 FGA's, but I think he still could average at least 35 ppg (on +60% shooting) and 12 ppg in that finals, which would have put more pressure on the Pistons to produce offensively.

Kobe produced at bellow 1 point per FGA, basically by every additional attempt he took, he sunk the Lakers even worse.

DJ Mbenga
05-14-2011, 09:53 PM
an yes. the year when teams realized if you wanna get a title just play a zone. ask thibedau how that strategy works.

Giuseppe
05-14-2011, 09:57 PM
an yes. the year when teams realized if you wanna get a title just play a zone.

DJ, testifyin'.

DJ Mbenga
05-14-2011, 10:04 PM
hDWru_YjLLg

Pretty ridiculious. No picks set to get Kobe open just him dribbling farther and farther from the hoop against Hamilton

we sometimes complain about mark jackson but my goodness al michaels is a disgrace to my ears. this one sounds better:

GBKLjgZOMCg

Hemotivo
05-14-2011, 11:13 PM
^^
WTF Lmao

Hemotivo
05-14-2011, 11:13 PM
ra ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ra

Vinnie_Johnson
05-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Especially when Kori built the Piston'ites their own wailing wall, and the sack-a-shits went in there.

:rollin

You bitter Laker fan not only did the Pistons punk your team twice in the finals and got robbed in the first finals. We also showed enough class and respect that Kori gave us our own board.

Scoreboard!:lmao

dirk4mvp
05-14-2011, 11:42 PM
I can't think of anyone who would be jelly of that shithole Piston subforum

HarlemHeat37
05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
:lol tbh, I hate when I scroll down to the "forum jump" for the NBA forum, but accidentally click on the PistonsTalk..

BoricuaCJA
05-14-2011, 11:50 PM
RA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA! LMFAO, ain't that voice output from another clip? I thought I heard that from another video.

Venti Quattro
05-14-2011, 11:51 PM
The Lakers were lucky to win one game in that series. They were badly outplayed. Actually worse than this series vs Dallas.

Red Hawk #21
05-15-2011, 12:25 AM
If Kobe missed that shot to force OT in game 2 the series most likely ends in a sweep. The only person who could've saved the Lakers was Shaq, and he obviously didn't get the ball as much as he should have. It's a shame the Kobe-Shaq era ended the way it did.

JoeTait75
05-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Detroit singled up Shaq and stayed home on the shooters- something other teams didn't do against the Laker Show. During the three-peat teams would collapse on Shaq and he would kick it out to Shaw and Fisher and Horry and Fox for wide-open three-pointers. The Lake Show would destroy teams from the perimeter and Shaq would still get his 40.

Malone really killed the Lake Show in the '04 Finals. I understand he was hurt, but he wouldn't even shoot the ball. You can't have a guy out there who won't shoot. Even Eric Snow would chuck one up from time to time just to keep teams honest. LA might as well have had Cedric Henderson on the floor.

Venti Quattro
05-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah it's a shame. No one was expecting them to lose and all misfortunes that could occur happened in a span of a week.

There are two Lakers finals run that I'd like to have back. 1984 and this one. Still can't forget Worthy's bonehead play in Game 2.

Giuseppe
05-15-2011, 04:24 AM
We also showed enough class and respect that Kori gave us our own board.

Only a complete Detroit asshole would go in there.