PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about SBC center

word
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I am new to San Antonio, 3rd year here, and have never been to SBC center.

I was looking at tickets online. I want to take the fam to the game but the only 4 tickets I can get together are in section 221, in the upper mezzanine, corner.

I've been in arenas a similar size and some have better seating arrangements than others..

My question is, is it worth it, can we see the game, or is it just one of those 'your paying for the experience of being there ?'

Any quick input would help as I need to make a decision pretty quickly here...

Thanks in advance

SpursWoman
06-09-2005, 01:58 PM
It depends on how much they are charging for them. If they are still unsold, it's got to be quite a bit....

The face value of tickets in that section (aside from the first few rows) are $17.00 each.

combs84
06-09-2005, 01:58 PM
I have never been obviously but its a Finals Game :). If you can get and afford tickets, who cares where you sit! I'm goign to the Palace tonight to watch the game just for the atmosphere.

Sadly I was unable to get Finals tickets, I have been lucky the last 3 rounds in getting tickets to ALL the games though so I shouldnt complain.

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
unless your die ahrd have to got a finlas game.
don't.
Yes there is a nice huge screen at center court, but at those prices (i've seen at ticket exchange) for those seats - sooooo not worth it.

wait till next season and go to a regular game in better seats. you'll spend less nad get more quality for your buck.

pseudofan
06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
There's really not a bad view in the SBC center. Pretty much no matter where you sit, you can see the game just fine.

combs84
06-09-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm looking at Tickets in Section: 220 Row: 15 Upper Corner for $91.00 a ticket, I assume you would be paying close to that?

MiNuS
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
It depends on how much they are charging for them. If they are still unsold, it's got to be quite a bit....

The face value of tickets in that section (aside from the first few rows) are $17.00 each.

$17 dollars WILL stay in my wallet plus the other $20 for Whataburgers .

TV is better.

if he does decide to go and clean the celing. I recommend you take some
binoculars and a AM radio. TV is way better UNLESS you are in teh front rows.

word
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm looking at Tickets in Section: 220 Row: 15 Upper Corner for $91.00 a ticket, I assume you would be paying close to that?

$85/each

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and purchased them.

Should be fun.

combs84
06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Wow, things must really be different down in SA for you guys, I don't know anybody that would say TV is better up here in Michigan. That would explain the difference in ticket prices obviously. If People down here could get tickets for less then $100 a piece, they would jump at them instantly. We have 82 straight sellouts as well, and I don't see that streak breaking anytime soon. Also have a bigger arena.

I don't mean that as an insult or anything, just an observation. Is the game experience there that bad or something?

Dex
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
The SBC Center has marvelous sightlines and there is hardly a bad seat, vision wise. It stays kinda quiet up in the nosebleeds during the regular season, but I'm doubting that will be a problem for a Finals game.

That being said, paying 300 bucks for a 17 dollar ticket is damn near lunacy, and you can probably see the players better on TV. Whataburgers are always freaking awesome, too.

But if you've got the dough and want the "Full Finals Experience", I'd say buy the tickets, don't worry about the view (which won't be bad), and go cheer your heart out for our Spurs.

combs84
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
$85/each

Should be fun.

Have fun, don't boo my players to hard :).

boutons
06-09-2005, 02:08 PM
For just the experience of SBC, I'd do it next season, or pre-season.

I enjoy the games so much more on TV, replays, replays, from umpteen cameras MUCH closer to the action than any seat I would ever pay for, etc. allows me to see so much more basketball.

Going to SBC is clearly "fun" and recommended, but not for watching basketball. :)

shit, Your Roving Multi-Media reporter even drove to Laredo for Spurs@Rockets pre-season game (only because it wasn't on TV).

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Is the game experience there that bad or something?

no. it';s the $$$ for the seat. there are just some thigns I won't do.
I've been to several games where i've sat in the 200 club and I can't complain at all. Infacteh sight/sound was awesome and the bathrooms are grade A++++.
But the tickets up there go from $60 - $15 depending on section and row during thr regualr season. Right now Some seats in the 200's section are going for $150 or more. And If I'm gonna spend that kind of money I want a better seat, Finals or no.
Meanwhile, for free I can watch at home. Plus ordering pizza, wings beer... still have spent less $$ than on 1 ticket.

word
06-09-2005, 02:14 PM
That being said, paying 300 bucks for a 17 dollar ticket is damn near lunacy,

I paid $362.04 for 4 nosebleed seats. But, my kids will remember it forever so that's worth the price of admission right there. Thing is, they'll probably want to go to game 2.

We'll see how it goes. I'll report back. I've been to quite a few arenas and stadiums in my lifetime. I'll give the 'first impression' unbiased view later this evening...

Spurs in 5 or 6 but definetly not 7. Definitely not 7.

Dex
06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Right on, man.

I wish you were my Dad. :lol

combs84
06-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I paid $362.04 for 4 nosebleed seats. But, my kids will remember it forever so that's worth the price of admission right there. Thing is, they'll probably want to go to game 2.

We'll see how it goes.

I completely agree. Don't bank on the Spurs being there every year either, cause though it looks like it will happen again soon, you never know. Right now I would be lucky to find 2 tickets to the Palace for that price. I am hoping to snag some last minute tickets this week somehow.

word
06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Reminds me I still have the ticket stub to what is widely considered the greatest college basketball game ever played.

The Pit, Albuquerque, 1983, North Carolina State and the Houston Cougers...

Whittenburgs shot is short...Lorenzo Charles catches it under the goal and puts it in as time runs out...Jim Valvano runs around the court like a chicken with his head cut off he's so excited.

Thing is, that was 1983 and THAT ticket cost me $85 THEN.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 02:34 PM
It's not like you're paying a king's ransom to sit behind the curtain like some did in 1999.

I would agree that it's pretty hard to find a bad seat at SBC Center. It's nothing like the Alamodome or even the Hemisfair in that regard. Even upstairs, the sightlines are generally very good. The question is do you pay for the experience or not?

While it's fun to watch games on TV, I enjoy being in the building at the moment, and then watching my video tape after the game to see if there's anything I missed. Nothing quite like being in the moment, though, whether that moment is good or bad.

Duncan21
06-09-2005, 02:49 PM
What is the capacity of the SBC centre?

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 02:55 PM

Sonia_TX
06-09-2005, 03:11 PM
$85/each

Should be fun.

I am glad you bought them...there really is not a bad seat in that place. In 2003 for my birthday...Spurs V. Lakers...when Robert Horry missed that shot...I was there... 5 rows from the top. lol It was as exciting up there as it is in the seats I sit in now...1st row balcony. Have fun and scream louuuud. :) I know I will be.

SpursWoman
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
It was as exciting up there as it is in the seats I sit in now...1st row balcony.

So do we! What section?

MannyIsGod
06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't think that price is bad at all for taking an entire family to the Finals. As people said before, the SBC is a world class arena and there are very few - if any - bad seats in the house.

Obviously, whether or not it's worth it is going to be a varieable from person to person, but that has nothing to do with the building. I think you'll be happy with it.

Shelly
06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
I have never been obviously but its a Finals Game :). If you can get and afford tickets, who cares where you sit! I'm goign to the Palace tonight to watch the game just for the atmosphere.

Sadly I was unable to get Finals tickets, I have been lucky the last 3 rounds in getting tickets to ALL the games though so I shouldnt complain.

Did you try Ebay? That's where we got ours.

nbascribe
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Word, congrats on scoring tix for the kids. ObiWan you ain't getting it...it's a moment in a young child's life. I still remember my first World Series with the Big Red Machine and Hank Aaron's memorable season in the ATL.

As for the seating folks 18,797 was BEFORE THE FINALS. You need to subtract about 1,500 seats from that total. Still a good seat no matter what section. Have fun.

Sonia_TX
06-09-2005, 03:45 PM
So do we! What section?

219. You?

word
06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Just called my oldest (14) and told him we were going to the NBA finals game 1...

' No way !!! '

WAY !!!!!

His B-day is Saturday so it's a win/win...

Ahh the joys of parenthood. You gotta take it where you can get it..otherwise it's nothing but fear and terror.

I better get a card on fathers day instead of the salutory 'Yeah happy fathers day...'

Just think, next year I gotta come up with a frickin' car to satisfy him. That's when the terror really starts. I just hope my heart can take it.