PDA

View Full Version : Sonics fans must be really pissed right now

lefty
05-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Damn, it should be Mavs-Sonics in the WCF

BS :pctoss

NewJerSpur
05-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Scalibrini said he's going to work to bring a franchise back to Seattle after his playing days are done......I trust in the Scal.

Shoutout to Jake One, Seattle's Finest:

7ZeRlGP6UHQ

lefty
05-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Kudos to Scal

Nick, the Nazi
05-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Tell me about it.

rayjayjohnson
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
sonics fans should get the fuck over it.

if they wanted to keep their team, they should have showed up to games.

Capt Bringdown
05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I lived in Seattle for 12 years - in terms of a rabid fanbase, no comparison to SA. However, I believe the franchise was just starting to come back to life when they left town. I believe the crux of the matter was ownership's demands that a new stadium be built, but my theory is that years of Gary Payton alienated the fanbase. ;)

lefty
05-15-2011, 07:42 PM
sonics fans should get the fuck over it.

if they wanted to keep their team, they should have showed up to games.
It had more to do with fundings for a new arena

rayjayjohnson
05-15-2011, 08:09 PM
...which the city of seattle didn't want to pay for because no one was going to games.

tlongII
05-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Seattle has always supported the Sonics. Attendance was down a bit when they sucked but you can't blame the fans for that. That whole debacle is on Stern imo.

Capt Bringdown
05-15-2011, 08:19 PM
...which the city of seattle didn't want to pay for because no one was going to games.

The citizens had enough after new football and baseball stadiums were built despite little support for their construction.

Jose Canseco
05-15-2011, 08:22 PM

7ZeRlGP6UHQ

Macklemore is very underrated imo. I was going to post "The Town," which is about reppin Seattle, but I like this song a little more.

pPIqDBM0zd8

NewJerSpur
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Macklemore is very underrated imo. I was going to post "The Town," which is about reppin Seattle, but I like this song a little more.

pPIqDBM0zd8

Good look Conseco, I see you man. This one is new to me, got to check dude out. Also, shoutout to Vitamin D, ALL DAY!! :toast

rayjayjohnson
05-15-2011, 08:38 PM
hMeRE1DphAI

davethedope
05-15-2011, 08:49 PM
they should have never moved that team, but knowing the NBA, they'd probably be
wearing fuscia and pink jerseys right now

timtonymanu
05-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Would have been nice to take a drive down to Seattle to watch the series, but oh well.

GuerillaBlack
05-15-2011, 10:03 PM
I lived in Seattle for 12 years - in terms of a rabid fanbase, no comparison to SA. However, I believe the franchise was just starting to come back to life when they left town. I believe the crux of the matter was ownership's demands that a new stadium be built, but my theory is that years of Gary Payton alienated the fanbase. ;)

Because they got Durant and things were looking up. But, a grimy OKC businessman bought the team with the intent of moving it. That's why they set the vote up between funding Seattle schools, or funding a new arena. Seattle chose the schools....idiots.

lurker
05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Thundersonics might not be as good as they are without the fans in okc.

crc21209
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Seattle will get another team soon.....

TDMVPDPOY
05-15-2011, 11:58 PM
okla fans > seatle fans

BRHornet45
05-16-2011, 01:27 AM
son please ... that city didn't support the Sonics when they needed them the most. cry me a fucking river.

they have a better team up there in Seattle that has won 2 championships anyways. the Seattle Storm led by the oh so sexy Sue Bird.

BRHornet45
05-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Key Arena is a dump and a joke of an "Arena". I don't blame the NBA for wanting them to leave it. if anyone has ever been to Key Arena then you can vouch for this. that place is a total dump and falling apart. there are rumors that many city officials have bribed the fire department to pass the arena on numerous safety violations throughout the arena that otherwise would have failed.

symple19
05-16-2011, 01:47 AM
okla fans > seatle fans

This is a ridiculous fucking statement

Watch a Seahawks/Mariners/Sounders game sometime

The Seahawks (arguably) and the Sounders (for sure) have the biggest homefield advantages in their respective leagues

Interestingly, they both play in a nice new stadium near Pioneer square. Key is over by the Needle (IIRC), and yes, it's a dump.

I've been to a Mariners game, not long after SafeCo opened. Those were great fans too.

Seattle is the shit

Oklahoma City sucks, although they do a good job of supporting their team

symple19
05-16-2011, 01:48 AM

7ZeRlGP6UHQ

nice track

BRHornet45
05-16-2011, 01:53 AM
This is a ridiculous fucking statement

Watch a Seahawks/Mariners/Sounders game sometime

The Seahawks (arguably) and the Sounders (for sure) have the biggest homefield advantages in their respective leagues

Interestingly, they both play in a nice new stadium near Pioneer square. Key is over by the Needle (IIRC), and yes, it's a dump.

I've been to a Mariners game, not long after SafeCo opened. Those were great fans too.

Seattle is the shit

Oklahoma City sucks, although they do a good job of supporting their team

and sons this man is about the BEST EXAMPLE of a "front runner" that anyone can ask for.

he claims to be a SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Spurs fan

he claims to be a SAN FRANSISCO, CALIFORNIA Giant fan

he claims to be a AUBURN, ALABAMA Tiger fan

son what are your personal connections to these teams? ... considering they are all spread out throughout the country and both the Giants and Auburn Tigers recently won titles. son please explain yourself before you wreck yourself. k

Axe Murderer
05-16-2011, 01:54 AM
and sons this man is about the BEST EXAMPLE of a "front runner" that anyone can ask for.

son what are your personal connections to these teams? ... considering they are all spread out throughout the country and both the Giants and Auburn Tigers recently won titles. son please explain yourself before you wreck yourself. k

sons symple was repping the Giants and Auburn before they won their titles.

By some stroke of crazy luck, they just happened to happen within the same year, god bless

BRHornet45
05-16-2011, 01:55 AM
and son I didn't even mention the 49ers in the above post because well ... they aren't even worth counting to be honest. lol at you claiming them though.

symple19
05-16-2011, 02:05 AM

Okay son, I've explained this before and will do so again

Giants/Niners - Dad is from NoCal, raised me to pull for these teams. Been on this site 3 years and have pulled for the Giants, way before they won a title. people know this. I also live by the bay for 6 years

Auburn - where do you think I went to school, dipshit? Also spent more time there growing up than anywhere else (My Dad was Air Force, so we moved alot)

Spurs - No real connection, although I was born in Texas. Loved D-Rob and became a Spurs fan when they drafted him. (87')

I have never wavered from any of these teams, the entire time I've been on this site.

Save your frontrunning bullshit for Ghazi

21_Blessings
05-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Seattle deserved what they got.

rayjayjohnson
05-16-2011, 06:19 AM
as a dirty australian picked US teams is hard. it took me about a year to settle on the nuggets, mostly due to my man bird.

football - don't really care, i guess the jets? i watched them beat philly in some bar on the upper west side recently, it was fun...

baseball - faggot sport imo

hockey - blackhawks baby

lefty
05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
as a dirty australian picked US teams is hard. it took me about a year to settle on the nuggets, mostly due to my man bird.

football - don't really care, i guess the jets? i watched them beat philly in some bar on the upper west side recently, it was fun...

baseball - faggot sport imo

hockey - blackhawks baby
What about the Avalanche?

And yes, baseball sucks

lefty
05-16-2011, 09:56 AM
okla fans > seatle fans
Sonics fans were loud too

IronMexican
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I didn't see Seattle supporting that team when it sounded like they were on their way out that last year. I don't get why people feel so sorry for them. It's like people feeling sorry for LA losing a team. Both cities deserve another chance. but they didn't want to approve new stadiums, and the fans weren't showing up for their games.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Giants/Niners - Dad is from NoCal, raised me to pull for these teams. Been on this site 3 years and have pulled for the Giants, way before they won a title. people know this. I also live by the bay for 6 years

Auburn - where do you think I went to school, dipshit? Also spent more time there growing up than anywhere else (My Dad was Air Force, so we moved alot)

Spurs - No real connection, although I was born in Texas. Loved D-Rob and became a Spurs fan when they drafted him. (87')

I have never wavered from any of these teams, the entire time I've been on this site.

Why do you think Seattle lost their NBA team? Just curious.

The Gemini Method
05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
I've been to the Key Arena for a Sonics/Lakers game and it wasn't the worst stadium I've went to. That award goes to Qualcomm in S.D. It doesn't have the modern amenities that most pro sports covet. I think it was a case of; let's build Qwest and SafeCo., but stop the spending on a new bball arena. I thought they were going to rennovate Key?

Ashy Larry
05-16-2011, 11:16 AM
the player are probably happier to be in OKC because traveling from Seattle to the East Coast is brutal ........... OKC is centralized.

The Gemini Method
05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
the player are probably happier to be in OKC because traveling from Seattle to the East Coast is brutal ........... OKC is centralized.

That is true, but the Plains can be brutal during the tornado/t-storm season. That much is true...

Seattle, though, is a much, much, more entertaining city than OKC is and that is probably more important to the players than location in relation to travel.

jacobdrj
05-16-2011, 11:25 AM

I am NEVER a fan of a municipality funding a sports arena. Ever. Loan, maybe, but never EVER taxpayer funding. And CERTAINLY not [ab]use of Eminent Domain...

Seattle was supporting their team in proportion to how well the team was doing. But because the owner was able to con some tax base into giving them money for an arena, they left.

Seattle fans should be ticked off. They should be wanting a team back, preferably an established one from a place that isn't attending games at a reasonable rate per performance.

symple19
05-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Why do you think Seattle lost their NBA team? Just curious.

I think it was an arena issue coupled with a string of mediocrity/low attendance.

Additionally, Stern probably could've done better to ensure that any new group coming in wanted to actually keep the team there.

You can't really blame Seattle taxpayers for not wanting to spring for another new facility. Both Qwest field and SafeCo were publicly funded as well, and had been built within 10 years of the time when the Sonics moved.

symple19
05-16-2011, 11:52 AM
IN a nutshell, it was about the $$$$, as these things almost always are

Axe Murderer
05-16-2011, 11:54 AM

idk about that

Seattle is one of the best cities in the US, imho

symple19
05-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I can't imagine anyone on earth would be happier living in OKC than Seattle unless you're allergic to rain.

GuerillaBlack
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
I didn't see Seattle supporting that team when it sounded like they were on their way out that last year. I don't get why people feel so sorry for them. It's like people feeling sorry for LA losing a team. Both cities deserve another chance. but they didn't want to approve new stadiums, and the fans weren't showing up for their games.

In defense of Seattle, they just built TWO new arenas/ballparks. Plus, the new arena for the Sonics was going up against a bond to help fund/build/renovate Seattle schools. Seattle was robbed. Once the team was sold to the OKC guy, everyone knew they were moving.

hehateme
05-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Damn BR, son, I do believe you just got shat on texmex style...

Darthkiller
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
seattle deserved what they got, they didnt want to build a new arena, they have no right to cry about it

jacobdrj
05-16-2011, 01:09 PM
seattle deserved what they got, they didnt want to build a new arena, they have no right to cry about it

Unless the citizens get an ownership stake in the team, the citizens shouldn't have to pay for an arena for a billionaire.

The citizens pay non-ownership admission prices in terms of tickets, which they were doing at a reasonable level given their team's performance...

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2011, 01:09 PM
the guy that sold the sonics, doesnt he own fkn starbucks or someshit?

Darthkiller
05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Unless the citizens get an ownership stake in the team, the citizens shouldn't have to pay for an arena for a billionaire.

The citizens pay non-ownership admission prices in terms of tickets, which they were doing at a reasonable level given their team's performance...

seattle built stadium for football and baseball, they didnt want to build one for basketball, they obviously didnt care if the team leaves or not

jacobdrj
05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
seattle built stadium for football and baseball, they didnt want to build one for basketball, they obviously didnt care if the team leaves or not

I guess it just took a while for the government in Seattle to realize how dumb it was...

I am not saying that it is inequtable. I am saying it should never happen. They built a stadium for the Tigers and Lions here in Detroit too... I still wish they hadn't. Bill Davidson built the Palace of Auburn Hills with his own money and did quite well for himself.

JoeTait75
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
You really expect Sonics fans to sell out every game when their owner was blatantly scheming to move the team?

When they had good ownership and played in the Kingdome they led the NBA in attendance on more than one occasion. The fans weren't the problem. They got screwed. That team never should have moved.

Jodelo
05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Key Arena is a dump and a joke of an "Arena". I don't blame the NBA for wanting them to leave it. if anyone has ever been to Key Arena then you can vouch for this. that place is a total dump and falling apart. there are rumors that many city officials have bribed the fire department to pass the arena on numerous safety violations throughout the arena that otherwise would have failed.

Ok, who logged in as BRHornet45? Itīs not his post obviously without "sons".

21_Blessings
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM
In defense of Seattle, they just built TWO new arenas/ballparks. Plus, the new arena for the Sonics was going up against a bond to help fund/build/renovate Seattle schools. Seattle was robbed. Once the team was sold to the OKC guy, everyone knew they were moving.

In defense of OKC, their fanbase would rather have a basketball team than properly funded schools.

They deserved it.

jacobdrj
05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
In defense of OKC, their fanbase would rather have a basketball team than properly funded schools.

They deserved it.

Well OKC always had schools, but it never increased their taxbase. They never had an NBA team until NOLA Hornets came to town, and I guess in their minds,

Shiny New NBA team > Shiny New Diplomas...

Budkin
05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Key Arena was one of the loudest arenas in the league back in the day when Kemp and Payton were on that team. My theory is that losing their team was Karma for erupting in cheers when Timmy's ankle turned in Game 6 of the 2005 semis. Classless.

lefty
05-16-2011, 06:34 PM
You really expect Sonics fans to sell out every game when their owner was blatantly scheming to move the team?

When they had good ownership and played in the Kingdome they led the NBA in attendance on more than one occasion. The fans weren't the problem. They got screwed. That team never should have moved.

This

ezau
05-16-2011, 08:51 PM
If Sonics fans are kicking themselves, imagine what Blazer fans are doing right now.

See: Greg Oden

GuerillaBlack
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/10/29/2003982201.jpg

dirk4mvp
05-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Key Arena was one of the loudest arenas in the league back in the day when Kemp and Payton were on that team. My theory is that losing their team was Karma for erupting in cheers when Timmy's ankle turned in Game 6 of the 2005 semis. Classless.

:lmao

Kyle Orton
05-16-2011, 11:18 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao spurs=class

Findog
05-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I've been to Key Arena. They renovated the old Coliseum to make it a great place to watch a basketball game - good sight lines, laid out well so the fans can create a lot of noise. It's far from a dump. What it doesn't have is the floorspace for all of that bullshit like bars and restaurants that have nothing to do with a basketball game taking place. You'd have to knock down some of the surrounding shit in the Seattle Center complex to make room for it in a renovation.