PDA

View Full Version : Sigh...

benefactor
05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Watching the Bulls makes me miss Spurs defense.

:depressed

ace3g
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Props to Coach Thib, keeps his Redhead in suit and tie on the end of the bench....

benefactor
05-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I've been pulling for the Thunder, but those who appreciate how the Spurs developed their legacy will have a hard time not liking the Bulls. The only trade off is a dominant big for a dominant guard.

gameFACE
05-15-2011, 09:52 PM
No shit. I seriously miss defense. I really fucking do. Chicago was awesome. And their hustle was just out of this world!

Can Pop even coach an "athletic" defensive team?

Sean Cagney
05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I miss D like crazy here.... I hated this makeup of the running Spurs, knew it would never work later in the year and it did not.

spurs1990
05-15-2011, 10:02 PM
In addition, the Spurs lost to the team who lost to the team who is favored to lose to the team who'll probably lose the NBA Finals to Chicago.

We were that close.

100%duncan
05-15-2011, 10:07 PM
yeah. Bulls D was outstanding.

timtonymanu
05-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Not only that, but the Bulls players had so much heart. They were playing hard every play and everyone was not afraid to play hero. With the Spurs, all you had were guys standing around, hoping for a hero.

This is a how a #1 seed was suppose to play like.

dbestpro
05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Got to give it to the Bulls head coach. He even has Korver playing defense.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Bulls have the athletes to pull it off. I've thought they were going to win it all for quite some time. I love the way they play.

timtonymanu
05-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I've been on the Bulls bandwagon ever since the playoffs started. I wanted them to make the NBA Finals (unless the Spurs got there which didn't happen).

I really really respect their style of play. I like how Thibs doesn't tolerate mess ups on defense kinda like how Pop use to do it.

IMO, Boston didn't fall cause Perk left. They fell cause Thibs left.

Chachachango
05-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah, i too miss the D. Did you guys see that guy Asik from Turkey, dude was playing ten times better than bonner.

Cessation
05-15-2011, 10:30 PM
It was real impressive, bulls completelly shut down leCheat and Co. in the second half.

lol bibby is so bad

elemento
05-15-2011, 10:30 PM
And the Centerpiece is starting for the Bulls :lmao

Cessation
05-15-2011, 10:35 PM

I'm sure it helps when you don't play out of position, like genious pop had him do in sa.

Capt Bringdown
05-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Not impressed, especially with regards to comparisons to Spursball. You got Rose and a bunch of losers playing Leastern Conference stumbleball.

The Heat are a poorly coached team with a gimmicky offense. These same Bulls bumbled their way past Philly and Atlanta.
Wake me up when they play a real team.

Ice009
05-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Props to Coach Thib, keeps his Redhead in suit and tie on the end of the bench....

If you don't play defense you don't play. What happened to that guy? If you could score like Michael Jordan, but didn't play any defense, Pop would keep your ass on the bench. That's how defensive oriented Pop was. Where is that?

Capt Bringdown
05-15-2011, 11:09 PM
If you don't play defense you don't play. What happened to that guy? If you could score like Michael Jordan, but didn't play any defense, Pop would keep your ass on the bench. That's how defensive oriented Pop was. Where is that?

He ain't been same since the '06 loss to the Mavs IMO.

Budkin
05-15-2011, 11:30 PM
In addition, the Spurs lost to the team who lost to the team who is favored to lose to the team who'll probably lose the NBA Finals to Chicago.

We were that close.

We weren't close at all. We had no defense or size. The Thunder would have beaten us had we made it past the 8th seed.

ploto
05-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Defense and no small ball- even when the opponent goes small.

Strike
05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
No shit. I seriously miss defense. I really fucking do. Chicago was awesome. And their hustle was just out of this world!

Can Pop even coach an "athletic" defensive team?

He'd be too busy benching people for no-D playing gingers because they have 'corporate knowledge'.

:pop::pctoss

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Defense and no small ball- even when the opponent goes small.
It's kind of depressing knowing Thibbs will stay with his big lineup while Pop would've played into the opponent's hands by going small.

He'd be too busy benching people for no-D playing gingers because they have 'corporate knowledge'.

:pop::pctoss

Give Pop this same Bulls team and he probably puts Bogans at the 3, Taj at the 5, and Scalabrine at the 4 to space the floor. Brewer would be glued to the bench, and no one would know who Omer Asik is.

TJastal
05-16-2011, 12:37 AM
It's kind of depressing knowing Thibbs will stay with his big lineup while Pop would've played into the opponent's hands by going small.

Give Pop this same Bulls team and he probably puts Bogans at the 3, Taj at the 5, and Scalabrine at the 4 to space the floor. Brewer would be glued to the bench, and no one would know who Omer Asik is.

Oh, defenitely. Pop would find a way to get Scalabrine his 20 minutes a game.

:lol

Cessation
05-16-2011, 02:30 AM
This is gingers team. You mad spurfan?

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
05-16-2011, 02:42 AM
I miss D like crazy here.... I hated this makeup of the running Spurs, knew it would never work later in the year and it did not.

pause. lol j/k

I miss the old spurs and that big headed rascal bruce

rmt
05-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Yeah, i too miss the D. Did you guys see that guy Asik from Turkey, dude was playing ten times better than bonner.

Imagine a coach who actually plays a 7 foot rookie.

Uriel
05-16-2011, 05:08 AM
You can watch videos of our championship seasons. The '99 team in particular which featured Tim Duncan and David Robinson at or near their respective primes protecting the interior made for some of the best defense, possibly ever in NBA history.

Bruno
05-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Spurs' defense was great because they had the best perimeter defender of the last decade and the best interior defender of the last decade. Bruce is retired and Duncan is done as a great player.

You can bitch as much as you want about Pop and Bonner but it doesn't change the fact that time has passed and Spurs don't have the roster to play defense like they did in the past or like Bulls do this year. It's sure they could have been better with Pop doing other choices but it wouldn't have been enough.

Spurs are done as a contender or as an elite defensive team. Nothing can be done to change that and there is no shame in it.

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 05:47 AM
True, but signing, trading for, or re-signing defensively inept players doesn't really help the Spurs cause.

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2011, 10:50 AM
You can bitch as much as you want about Pop and Bonner but it doesn't change the fact that time has passed and Spurs don't have the roster to play defense like they did in the past or like Bulls do this year. It's sure they could have been better with Pop doing other choices but it wouldn't have been enough.

Spurs are done as a contender or as an elite defensive team. Nothing can be done to change that and there is no shame in it.

Horse hockey - we've seen time and time again in these playoffs that a commitment to D is the THE WAY to improve your team, and that it doesn't take a roster of superstars to make it happen. Look at the Bulls and their roster of turds.

Maybe an elite defense lies beyond our grasp, but the thing is, we didn't even try - in fact, the Spurs ran away from defense. And that is indeed a shame.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Because other than Duncan, who on that roster can play consistant defense? Maybe Hill? Splitter?

cheguevara
05-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Spurs' defense was great because they had the best perimeter defender of the last decade and the best interior defender of the last decade. Bruce is retired and Duncan is done as a great player.

the bulls have neither and still playing great Defense. the Grizz had great D and a bunch of scrubs playing it.

good D starts with the coach. Pop dropped the ball and has no excuses.

nobody is expecting old Spurs type D. but a good D is possible with any NBA player with the right coach. And it starts by not playing defensive soft players like Bonner and Dick.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
the bulls have neither and still playing great Defense. the Grizz had great D and a bunch of scrubs playing it.

good D starts with the coach. Pop dropped the ball and has no excuses.

nobody is expecting old Spurs type D. but a good D is possible with any NBA player with the right coach. And it starts by not playing defensive soft players like Bonner and Dick.

Noah, Gibson, and Asik are all long, athletic, can board and all three are committed to defense. The Spurs have one player right now who can be that type of player, which is Splitter.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Horse hockey - we've seen time and time again in these playoffs that a commitment to D is the THE WAY to improve your team, and that it doesn't take a roster of superstars to make it happen. Look at the Bulls and their roster of turds.

Maybe an elite defense lies beyond our grasp, but the thing is, we didn't even try - in fact, the Spurs ran away from defense. And that is indeed a shame.

Too many Pearls Capt.? Commitment to defense is one thing, but you have to have the personnel to pull it off. You honestly think Pop decided to do away with defense, because it seemed like the vogue thing to do? Tell me how with this current Spurs roster, can you realistically expect them to shut down an opposing team defensively? How many times did you see Pop cringe when he saw the countless mistakes being made out there on defense? This group got old and with the limited resources by the ownership, Pop and RC got a lot of work to do to somehow build around the big 3.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2011, 12:21 PM

You really need to take a fucking anti-depressant and stop spouting this bullshit. If the Spurs had played everyone on their roster, then you might have a point. They didn't. You don't.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Keith Bogans still completely sucks, but at least he's not being played out of position and asked to single-handedly shut down the other team's best player.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
It's sad how the Bulls essentially are doing now what we did for so many years, taking less-heralded players who stay active on D and building a team around them. As opposed to the modern Spurs who sacrifice defense in the name of "spreading the floor", whatever the fuck that means.

spurs10
05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Perhaps it's true that our time is over. However David was "done" before Tim came along. Splitter, after a summer with Chip and Pop, and a new pf will do wonders for this team. You know they know this and will be trying to rectify this all summer long. I think TP is far from done and Manu's injury was untimely. We will not be favored to do much next year, but might surprise a few people.

Dex
05-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Spurs defense should benefit from the full integration of Splitter. He helped to noticeably shore up the interior in his brief stints, and that was with limited knowledge and reps. He's had his year on the bench to figure things out; time to get to work and get comfortable (and, for the love of God, stay healthy through camp). Hopefully that will be coupled with development by guys like Anderson and Neal, maybe another defensive pickup somewhere in the offseason.

Knowing the Spurs M.O., though, they will probably continue to pile up undersized wings and shooting forwards.

cheguevara
05-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Noah, Gibson, and Asik are all long, athletic, can board and all three are committed to defense. The Spurs have one player right now who can be that type of player, which is Splitter.

You seriously saying Gibson and Asik are better defenders than Duncan? :rolleyes

Duncan is old but still is a good defensive bigman.

My point is it starts with the coach preaching defense and punishing those who fail miserably at it (Bonner/Dick)

SenorSpur
05-16-2011, 01:09 PM
It is truly amazing to watch the maniacal, energetic and aggressive manner in which the Bulls play defense. Watching them get into the jocks of the opposing players, rotating appropriately and crashing the glass on both ends, is pure job. It's not as though they have a team of elite defenders, but it certainly helps to have younger, more athletic, hungry players, who have all bought into the concept taught by Coach Tibs. The guy does not and has not compromise his defensive principles nor sold out his soul in exchange for fielding a team of 3-pt shooters. It does indeed make one become nostalgic.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
You seriously saying Gibson and Asik are better defenders than Duncan? :rolleyes

Duncan is old but still is a good defensive bigman.

My point is it starts with the coach preaching defense and punishing those who fail miserably at it (Bonner/Dick)

No, not at all. I meant in terms of youth,athleticism and defensive ability, Noah, Gibson, and Asik are a nice trio of young post defenders. Duncan is still one of the best post defenders. And as far as potential Splitter(youth, athleticism) can evolve into that type of player.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
It is truly amazing to watch the maniacal, energetic and aggressive manner in which the Bulls play defense. Watching them get into the jocks of the opposing players, rotating appropriately and crashing the glass on both ends, is pure job. It's not as though they have a team of elite defenders, but it certainly helps to have younger, more athletic, hungry players, who have all bought into the concept taught by Coach Tibs. The guy does not and has not compromise his defensive principles nor sold out his soul in exchange for fielding a team of 3-pt shooters. It does indeed make one become nostalgic.

Thibodeau didn't have to compromise his principles, because of the defensive talent he possesses, along with the league's MVP and one of the best pgs in the league.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
You really need to take a fucking anti-depressant and stop spouting this bullshit. If the Spurs had played everyone on their roster, then you might have a point. They didn't. You don't.

You need to quit putting off that Optometrist appointment if you think this current Spurs team can be an elite defesive team.

TJastal
05-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Thibodeau didn't have to compromise his principles, because of the defensive talent he possesses, along with the league's MVP and one of the best pgs in the league.

Could it also be the fact he keeps guys like Scalabrine (Bonner's long lost brother) nailed to the bench where he belongs? Just maybe?

Obstructed_View
05-16-2011, 01:41 PM
You need to quit putting off that Optometrist appointment if you think this current Spurs team can be an elite defesive team.

Uh, the Spurs played better defense against Memphis than Oklahoma City did, and that's with absolute shit on the front line aside from Splitter and Duncan. Not surprised that you make your judgments without regard to what actually happens on the court.

I love that some of you fucking nimrods think the Bulls have all this talent, when they just play their players in their proper position.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Could it also be the fact he keeps guys like Scalabrine (Bonner's long lost brother) nailed to the bench where he belongs? Just maybe?

Does Pop have a trio like Noah, Gibson, and Asik playing for the Spurs? Go ahead, I'll let you google it.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Uh, the Spurs played better defense against Memphis than Oklahoma City did, and that's with absolute shit on the front line aside from Splitter and Duncan. Not surprised that you make your judgments without regard to what actually happens on the court.

I love that some of you fucking nimrods think the Bulls have all this talent, when they just play their players in their proper position.

And its dipshits like you and your protege Tjastal that fail to see the big picture. Your answer to the Spurs roster problems, is just be a good athlete, athleticism will win championships. Pop will rue the day he ever let Pop Mensah-Bonsu and Ian Mahimni walk out that door. :lol

TJastal
05-16-2011, 02:16 PM
And its dipshits like you and your protege Tjastal that fail to see the big picture. Your answer to the Spurs roster problems, is just be a good athlete, athleticism will win championships. Pop will rue the day he ever let Pop Mensah-Bonsu and Ian Mahimni walk out that door. :lol

Not quite. Our answer is all those things but more importantly size (need 7 footers) Maybe you should get a secretary to dictate for you since your memory sucks so badly.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Not quite. Our answer is all those things but more importantly size (need 7 footers) Maybe you should get a secretary to dictate for you since your memory sucks so badly.

Oh right, my bad. Just get some more 7 footers out there. It doesn't matter if they can play or not, cause according to Tjastal, just being 7 foot, is the end all cure all, to what ails the Spurs. I hope you decide to put out a basketbal training dvd, and you can even let OV make a few appearances in it. Maybe have future allstar Mahimni go one on one with someone to show the kids out there how its done. :lol

Agloco
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm sure it helps when you don't play out of position, like genious pop had him do in sa.

This

Budkin
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
You can't win in the playoffs without defense. That's just the way it is.

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Does Pop have a trio like Noah, Gibson, and Asik playing for the Spurs? Go ahead, I'll let you google it.
To be honest; I believe Pop would play Taj out of position, and I doubt Asik would get any PT.

SenorSpur
05-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Bonner and Scal were separated at birth. :lol

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 04:45 PM
To be honest; I believe Pop would play Taj out of position, and I doubt Asik would get any PT.

Cool dude.

SenorSpur
05-16-2011, 04:48 PM
You can't win in the playoffs without defense. That's just the way it is.

Very true.

The Bulls are not afraid of drafting and trading for size and playing those players in their natural positions. Playing in the rough and tumble Eastern Conference, they obviously understand that size, length and skill are required in order to defend the paint.

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Cool dude.
Actually, no. It's not cool at all.

Dex
05-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Spurs just didn't make the shots they were supposed to make. No surprises there...

all_heart
05-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Not only that, but the Bulls players had so much heart. They were playing hard every play and everyone was not afraid to play hero. With the Spurs, all you had were guys standing around, hoping for a hero.

This is a how a #1 seed was suppose to play like.

This is the most accurate thing I've ever EVER read here. I just hope they DVRd the game so they can witness this .

silverblk mystix
05-16-2011, 07:11 PM
The Heat didn't even put Erica Dampier in uniform...to go small and fast...

Thibs didn't even blink...stayed big...and crushed Miami...using HIS style...

DID NOT try to be a pussy and try MATCHING up with the heat like a scared pussified POP would have most certainly done.

Young, fresh- thinking coaches....what a novel concept.

Pop is old, scared, tired, pathetic and lost.

Retire please.

200 miles
05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
With Pop not going anywhere, this team is fucked for years to come.

:cry

:idiot:pop::idiot

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Look at Memphis, look at Chicago, and look at Denver. Denver lost their lone superstar but surprised everyone, including themselves, how competitive they could be - and it all started with a commitment to D.

Imagine how far down the road we be if, after 2007, we redoubled our emphasis on defense rather than running to this spread the floor nonsense that has gotten us precisely nowhere.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
The Heat didn't even put Erica Dampier in uniform...to go small and fast...

Thibs didn't even blink...stayed big...and crushed Miami...using HIS style...

DID NOT try to be a pussy and try MATCHING up with the heat like a scared pussified POP would have most certainly done.

Young, fresh- thinking coaches....what a novel concept.

Pop is old, scared, tired, pathetic and lost.

Retire please.

Look at the athletes that Chicago trots out there and then look at the Spurs roster. Rant and rave about Pop, but you don't just snap your fingers and presto you got of stable of young, big, athletic 4s, and 5s. Did you expect the Spurs to rebuild on the fly with lottery talent just waiting to be scooped up by the Spurs? Unless your teams owner has deep pockets, or your team has been to the lottery several times, like the Bulls, your not gonna be able to acquire all star talent on a whim.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Look at Memphis, look at Chicago, and look at Denver. Denver lost their lone superstar but surprised everyone, including themselves, how competitive they could be - and it all started with a commitment to D.

Imagine how far down the road we be if, after 2007, we redoubled our emphasis on defense rather than running to this spread the floor nonsense that has gotten us precisely nowhere.

Look at how young Memphis, Chicago, and Denver are. How did Chicago get those lottery picks in Rose, Noah, and Deng? How did Memphis get Marc Gasol?

taps
05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
The guy does not and has not compromise his defensive principles nor sold out his soul in exchange for fielding a team of 3-pt shooters.

When Thibs benched Korver for the Atlanta series Pop was spinning in his grave.

It's not as though they have a team of elite defenders

Outside of Noah, I pretty much agree. Though I admit I'm just splitting hairs.

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Look at how young Memphis, Chicago, and Denver are. How did Chicago get those lottery picks in Rose, Noah, and Deng? How did Memphis get Marc Gasol?

Hiring old turds such as Dice and chronic non-performers such as Bonner and RJ were our only options?

And when we finally do get our hands on a young big who can play D, Pop starts a 6ft 5in center in his place.

No doubt we're facing personnel issues, but these have been compounded by poor coaching and bad leadership.

SenorSpur
05-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Look at the athletes that Chicago trots out there and then look at the Spurs roster. Rant and rave about Pop, but you don't just snap your fingers and presto you got of stable of young, big, athletic 4s, and 5s. Did you expect the Spurs to rebuild on the fly with lottery talent just waiting to be scooped up by the Spurs? Unless your teams owner has deep pockets, or your team has been to the lottery several times, like the Bulls, your not gonna be able to acquire all star talent on a whim.

That's true. A couple 2-3 years of bathing in the draft lottery waters should be the perfect antidote to the post-Duncan blues.

jjktkk
05-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Hiring old turds such as Dice and chronic non-performers such as Bonner and RJ were our only options?

And when we finally do get our hands on a young big who can play D, Pop starts a 6ft 5in center in his place.

No doubt we're facing personnel issues, but these have been compounded by poor coaching and bad leadership.

You left out the decline of Duncan, due to age. Or are you disappointed that Splitter didn't get a chance to put up 20 and 10 on a nightly basis?

jjktkk
05-17-2011, 12:31 AM
That's true. A couple 2-3 years of bathing in the draft lottery waters should be the perfect antidote to the post-Duncan blues.

This. And imagine the shitstorm thats gonna start on here. I can see the Pop lynch mob on here, hammering Pop for allowing the Spurs to become a lottery team.

J_Paco
05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
You left out the decline of Duncan, due to age. Or are you disappointed that Splitter didn't get a chance to put up 20 and 10 on a nightly basis?

Yes, because playing defense directly correlates with putting up 20/10. Something Duncan hasn't done for 3 or 4 years now.

jjktkk
05-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes, because playing defense directly correlates with putting up 20/10. Something Duncan hasn't done for 3 or 4 years now.

Defense is important, and Duncan is still a very solid defender. But the memphis series showed me that besides the Spurs lacking in overall defense, I also noticed that Duncan scoring at will is no longer a given, and that the Spurs, besides needing to upgrade their overall defense, need to also find a post player who can score down low.

Agloco
05-18-2011, 12:22 PM
PWCBpRS3_g0

Look at how Horry helps off of the screen and how Bruce, knowing he's got help, instinctively comes down to the baseline to cover Horry's man.

:depressed:depressed:depressed

These are the two I miss the most tbh.