PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's front court running mate search

007nites
05-15-2011, 09:54 PM
As he has for 14 years running, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich expects to be able to chisel Tim Duncan's name into his starting lineup for the 2011-12 campaign, whenever it begins.

Though Duncan has passed his 35th birthday, he remains under contract for next season, and Popovich sees no reason to doubt the two-time MVP will return for another go-round.

“Timmy's given me no indication he's considering retiring, or anything like that,” Popovich said.

In what has seemed to be an annual offseason ritual ever since David Robinson hung up his Nikes, the search is on for someone to be Duncan's frontcourt running mate.

With the playoff wounds inflicted by Zach Randolph and Memphis' bruising frontcourt still fresh, and with Antonio McDyess all but officially retired, Popovich said this week that finding a partner for Duncan will be the team's top offseason personnel priority.

The Spurs have not ruled out exploring the trade or free-agent markets to accomplish that goal, once they open for business, but are more likely to look in-house to fill the void.

One returning candidate is 22-year-old DeJuan Blair, an undersized forward at 6-foot-7 who started 65 games, but battled weight issues and fell out of favor in the postseason. Another is 25-year-old Tiago Splitter, a 6-foot-11 former first-round draft pick who arrived last summer amid a frenzy of fanfare only to have his rookie season undermined by alternating spates of injury and inactivity.

Two weeks removed from a playoff ouster, and with plenty of offseason in front of him, Popovich hasn't committed to anyone just yet. At times, however, he appears willing to talk himself into the dawning of the Splitter era.

“I think Tiago has to be a linchpin for our future here, because he has the size, the length, the toughness, the grit, the consistency,” Popovich said. “He's going to be a stalwart of this team going forward.”

A limited offensive player, Splitter already has begun offseason work with Spurs shooting guru Chip Engelland to work on his free-throw stroke and to move his game a bit further from the basket. That work, however, is likely to be interrupted when Splitter joins the Brazilian national team for preparations for the Tournament of the Americas later this summer, and won't resume until the NBA's collective bargaining issues are settled.

Though Splitter did not spend much time paired with Duncan this season, and doesn't have a jumper to spread the floor as McDyess did, Popovich thinks the two could coexist. For proof, he points to Fabricio Oberto, a player similar to Splitter who started next to Duncan on the Spurs' 2007 championship team.

“We played with two bigs before, when Fab was here,” Popovich said. “Fab and Timmy were the starters, and we got it done.”

Splitter appeared in 60 games as a rookie, after missing all of training camp and the preseason with a calf injury. He did not see action in the postseason until Game 4 against Memphis, after which he became a rotation fixture.

“When you miss the entire training camp and you're a rookie, you're going to have a tough time in any program,” Popovich said. “After that, he got injured once or twice more. At the time, when he would get a little healthy and be available, we were rolling. DeJuan was starting, so we didn't change it.”

Blair averaged 8.8 points and 7.3 rebounds as an unorthodox starting center. In mid-March, he was benched in favor of McDyess, whose defensive chops the coaching staff deemed more valuable in the postseason.

After Blair ballooned to nearly 300 pounds late in the season, Popovich challenged him to shed excess weight. In response, Blair dropped 20 pounds by cutting fast food out of his diet.

Heading into the summer, Popovich has challenged Blair again.

Blair's future with the Spurs, the coach said, is not aligned with “working on his jumper or developing a jump hook. It's not defense.”

“It's personal discipline, responsibility and maturity,” Popovich said. “That will get him to the next level. Short of that, he'll have a hard time.”

As it has been for nearly a decade of offseasons now, when it comes to Spurs' big men, Duncan is the only sure thing.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Splitter-cast-as-Duncan-sidekick-1379352.php

Sean Cagney
05-15-2011, 09:59 PM
POOP now waking up some?

suitedkings
05-15-2011, 10:13 PM
FU Pop, you did the same thing to GHill his rookie season.

100%duncan
05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll be dammned if Tiago doesn't start next season's games

timtonymanu
05-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Watch Pop call Tiago his favorite player now.

rmt
05-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Blair's future with the Spurs, the coach said, is not aligned with “working on his jumper or developing a jump hook. It's not defense.”

“It's personal discipline, responsibility and maturity,” Popovich said. “That will get him to the next level. Short of that, he'll have a hard time.”

Bonner must be loaded with personal discipline, responsibility and maturity why he gets so much playing time. It's sad (especially after watching CHI's defense) that Pop doesn't value defense any more.

elemento
05-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Pop is 1 season late :bang

Cessation
05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Don't see anything new here, clearly, defence is still not a priority for pop. It will be the same next season, "bla bla bla..we're contenders"...then one and done in the playoffs, followed by..."It was the injuries :cry:cry"..excuse.

Russo21
05-15-2011, 11:04 PM
C Sam Dalambert
PF Kenyon Martin
SF Grant Hill or Prince
SG Redd

Would love to land any one of those guys and none are unrealistic and all unrestricted? Unrealstic signings would be Nene or Yao, wishful thinking.

Can't wait til the season is over and for the offseason wheeling and dealing to begin!

Leetonidas
05-15-2011, 11:26 PM
C Sam Dalambert
PF Kenyon Martin
SF Grant Hill or Prince
SG Redd

Would love to land any one of those guys and none are unrealistic and all unrestricted? Unrealstic signings would be Nene or Yao, wishful thinking.

Can't wait til the season is over and for the offseason wheeling and dealing to begin!

Out of all those players, the only one we MIGHT have a shot at is Prince.

And :lmao @ Michael Redd. I didn't know it was 2006.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-15-2011, 11:27 PM
the one good thing is i dont hear that arrogant attitude ive heard in years past when speaking about doing something different and i have to tell my self , that if anybody can go back to playing good D it would be the spurs.

Just trading bonner alone increases our defense! cross your fingers spurs fans that coach shit head is offered a deal he cant refuse!!

MR.SILVER&BLack
05-15-2011, 11:48 PM
only thing i liked about this article is reading that the FO would be up to trade and a pickup thru free agency. theres at least a little bit of hope that blair and bonner could be on there way out of san antonio. dammit now watch it be splitter being traded away.

Libri
05-15-2011, 11:57 PM
One returning candidate is 22-year-old DeJuan Blair, an undersized forward at 6-foot-7 who started 65 games, but battled weight issues and fell out of favor in the postseason.

After Blair ballooned to nearly 300 pounds late in the season, Popovich challenged him to shed excess weight. In response, Blair dropped 20 pounds by cutting fast food out of his diet.

This might be the first confirmation that Blair was in the dog house because of his weight.

blizz
05-16-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm just glad they're making it a priority. Counting on Blair and Splitter would be a big mistake in my opinion. We need an athletic big who can D up and block some shots. Much like a Chandler, Camby and/or Ibaka...that's what we need and we've never been able to give Duncan. We get someone like that and a solid wing who can also D and hit open 3s and we'll be fine. I'd LOVE to have an Okafor type and Tony Allen type.

TJastal
05-16-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm just glad they're making it a priority. Counting on Blair and Splitter would be a big mistake in my opinion. We need an athletic big who can D up and block some shots. Much like a Chandler, Camby and/or Ibaka...that's what we need and we've never been able to give Duncan. We get someone like that and a solid wing who can also D and hit open 3s and we'll be fine. I'd LOVE to have an Okafor type and Tony Allen type.

We had an athletic 6'11 guy named Mahoney or Mahinney or something like that... not sure what happened to him, he must've blocked too many shots for Pop's liking

blizz
05-16-2011, 12:37 AM
We had an athletic 6'11 guy named Mahoney or Mahinney or something like that... not sure what happened to him, he must've blocked too many shots for Pop's liking

lol true...but we need someone who can step in...not develop. how many shots is he blocking now? how many minutes is he playing? is he shutting anyone down?

Crazymaddopeyo
05-16-2011, 12:41 AM

Bonner must be loaded with personal discipline, responsibility and maturity why he gets so much playing time. It's sad (especially after watching CHI's defense) that Pop doesn't value defense any more.

"Do everything humanly possible to become a more elite defensive team."
-pop

TJastal
05-16-2011, 12:47 AM
lol true...but we need someone who can step in...not develop. how many shots is he blocking now? how many minutes is he playing? is he shutting anyone down?

He'd been better than nothing. Helluva lot better than either Bonner or Blair. A Serge Ibaka type player. The biggest knock on him was he was too "foul prone". Well guess what? Ibaka was 2nd in the nba in disqualifications and that hasn't stopped him from playing/developing/contributing.

4>0rings
05-16-2011, 01:44 AM
“We played with two bigs before, when Fab was here,” Popovich said. “Fab and Timmy were the starters, and we got it done.”

And what made this dumbfuck get away from that???

TJastal
05-16-2011, 01:49 AM

Pop needed a new love after Finley. Unfortunately, the object of affection became the sandwich boy. Mind has been messed up ever since.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:54 AM
He'd been better than nothing. Helluva lot better than either Bonner or Blair. A Serge Ibaka type player. The biggest knock on him was he was too "foul prone". Well guess what? Ibaka was 2nd in the nba in disqualifications and that hasn't stopped him from playing/developing/contributing.

Then why isn't Mahimni contributing for the Mavs, instead of doing the same thing he was doing with the Spurs Einstein?

blizz
05-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Then why isn't Mahimni contributing for the Mavs, instead of doing the same thing he was doing with the Spurs Einstein?

ding ding ding....exactly. it's not like he's tearing it up. the comparison between him and ibaka is weak. i'd take ibaka over anyone we currently have or mahinmi 7 days a week and twice on sunday. c'mon man.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:59 AM

Duncan's age, the Spurs no longer having a perimeter shutdown defender maybe? Duncan in his prime could allow me or you to start alongside him. Oberto didn't play much his 1st year as a Spur either.

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Uh, because two starter-quality centers are ahead of him in the rotation?

Cessation
05-16-2011, 02:03 AM
I was too young to see bird play, was he more athletic than ginger?

blizz
05-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Uh, because two starter-quality centers are ahead of him in the rotation?

really? who are the two quality centers? chandler maybe...who is the other one? c'mon stop making excuses for ian...he sucked...period. he wasn't a defender and he wasn't a shot blocker. get off his nuts.

Cessation
05-16-2011, 02:15 AM
They had chandler and haywood, both starters at times in their careers. No minutes for mahinmi. At pf dirk, marion, and the shooting white guy dirk called country strong, I forgot his name. Mavs were loaded with bigs, tbh. Spurs, not so much. Calling pussy bonner and midget blair, bigs is somewhat of a stretch.

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 02:30 AM
really? who are the two quality centers? chandler maybe...who is the other one? c'mon stop making excuses for ian...he sucked...period. he wasn't a defender and he wasn't a shot blocker. get off his nuts.
Haywood....And yes, he's easily a starting center in this league. By the way, when was I on Mahinmi's nuts?

The only reason people bring him up is because at one point this team had an athletic big on the roster. A big with the potential to play better defense than Bonner or Blair ever has. No one is calling him a star, or even great, but people are so fed up with the turds we have now that they'd rather have Mahinmi at this point.

Not that it matters though. He's gone, and the Spurs have another 7-footer who needs to get off the bench.

blizz
05-16-2011, 03:01 AM
If Mahinmi was worth ANYTHING at all...he would have been given a chance and he'd still be here. If Oberto could start for us and this guy couldn't get off the bench that tells you something. Some of yall really thing yall are smarter and a better judge of talent that guys that do this for a living and have won championships. If he was good enough to do what you all think he can or could have done, he'd be here still. Get over it.

blizz
05-16-2011, 03:02 AM
duplicate

TJastal
05-16-2011, 03:04 AM
If Mahinmi was worth ANYTHING at all...he would have been given a chance and he'd still be here. If Oberto could start for us and this guy couldn't get off the bench that tells you something. Some of yall really thing yall are smarter and a better judge of talent that guys that do this for a living and have won championships. If he was good enough to do what you all think he can or could have done, he'd be here still. Get over it.

Why did the mavs bother signing the guy then? If he sucks so bad like you claim. Huh, popsucker?

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 03:20 AM
If Mahinmi was worth ANYTHING at all...he would have been given a chance and he'd still be here.
Mahinmi was either; Not with the team, at the end of the rotation, or hurt when he was here. It was only his last year when he finally got a "chance" -- Then, by the time the season ended, Splitter was ready to come over, and the Spurs chose Splitter. Do I need to repeat it a third time?

If Oberto could start for us and this guy couldn't get off the bench that tells you something. Some of yall really thing yall are smarter and a better judge of talent that guys that do this for a living and have won championships. If he was good enough to....blah, blah, blah, I'm just repeating myself.That tells me nothing. Oberto was an established rotation player at the time. I guess with that logic you can say Bonner is a better player than Splitter since Bonner plays 20 minutes per game while Splitter warms the bench.

Get over it.Don't worry, I am.

Maybe you should since you're so hung up on needlessly proving to us that Mahinmi sucks. We get it. He isn't that great. He was only brought up as an example of someone who could've brought more defensively than what the Turd Towers bring. Understand? No one is clamoring to bring him back.

blizz
05-16-2011, 04:51 AM
He was only brought up as an example of someone who could've brought more defensively than what the Turd Towers bring. Understand? No one is clamoring to bring him back.

bullshit. if you thing he would have been the answer to interior defense than you're a moron.

blizz
05-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Why did the mavs bother signing the guy then? If he sucks so bad like you claim. Huh, popsucker?

Cuz they'll sign anyone dumbass. Fuck you...if you think he would have been THE answer then you're a fucking moron.

fonzy16
05-16-2011, 05:07 AM
if we had scola, we woul win multiple championships :D

TimDunkem
05-16-2011, 05:26 AM
bullshit. if you thing he would have been the answer to interior defense than you're a moron.
You're the only one here who sounds like a moron. Not only do you not know how to read, but you're a fucking liar who likes to put words into other people's mouths to suit his argument. NO ONE said he'd be, 'The Answer' -- Just better (defensively) than either of the Turd Towers.

Yes, Bonner, and Blair are WORSE than Mahinmi defensively. What games have you been watching? What don't you understand?

And again, I don't fucking care about Mahinmi (like I said before, none of this matters because he's gone, and the Spurs have a better player in Splitter [but here I am debating because you misinterpret everything you read]), but if you want to debate whether he'd actually be LESS valuable to the Spurs defense than 6'7-I'd-rather-take-charges-or-not-play-defense-at-all Blair, or Matt 'Soft as Charmin' Bonner then I'll debate you on it. Just quit making up these bullshit claims.

Seriously....How many times, and how many different ways do I have to explain to your retarded ass that I'd only take Mahinmi over Bonner, or Mahinmi over Blair defensively?

Truth4sale$
05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
It's more than just a running mate, the spurs need athletes. Athletic guys who can stay in front of quicker players. What good is size if it's slow footed.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Your fantasy gm skills suck much ass. Answer the question, why can't Mahimni get any playing time?

Obstructed_View
05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Your fantasy gm skills suck much ass. Answer the question, why can't Mahimni get any playing time?

Asked and answered: Chandler and Haywood. More specifically, Chandler and Haywood's contract. Mahinmi contributed during the season, and the Mavs are very high on him, unlike the blind Pop disciples. The big joke is that the Spurs had nobody close to either of those guys playing ahead of Mahinmi when he was in San Antonio. Funny how Splitter couldn't get any time during the season considering how good he turned out to be in the playoffs. The Popsucker argument might be to somehow discount what Splitter actually is, but those folks will need to explain how Oberto, Nesterovic and Mohammed couldn't get off the bench in 2006 while the Mavericks were ripping up the Spurs' front line.

There's a reason people got excited over Pops Mensah-Bonsu when he was a Spur, and it's not because Pops is a great player, it's because the bar was, and still is, so low when it comes to Spurs' bigs. Honest to God, how the fuck do any of you seriously attempt to continue to defend Bonner, Dice and Blair as a big rotation?

rmt
05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Don't know how any one could argue Bonner over Ian defensively. And offensively:

Ian
season 3.1 pts / 2.1 rebs / 0.3 blk in 8.7 mins on 56.1%FG

Bonner
season 7.3 pts / 3.6 rebs / 0.3 blk in 21.7 mins on 46.4%FG
playoffs 6.3 pts / 3.2 rebs / 0.2 blk in 20.5 mins on 48%FG

And we know that Bonner chokes in the playoffs (LOL, 45.7% 3PT% in RS, 33.3% in playoffs - a drop of 12.4%). The jury is out on Ian in the playoffs. Of course he's not playing in the playoffs - he's got Dirk, Chandler and Heywood ahead of him.

4>0rings
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Duncan's age, the Spurs no longer having a perimeter shutdown defender maybe? Duncan in his prime could allow me or you to start alongside him. Oberto didn't play much his 1st year as a Spur either.
Duncan's age? He still seems to be the center piece going into next year, not a problem then. Perimeter defender? Had Bowen, Bowen got in the doghouse, Pop shit canned him.

Seems like this is all Pop's fault.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
lol playing only because of contracts. That is seriously the weakest argument ever made.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
lol playing only because of contracts. That is seriously the weakest argument ever made.

Yeah, that whole "two starting caliber centers with veteran experience" thing was clearly too complex for you.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Asked and answered: Chandler and Haywood. More specifically, Chandler and Haywood's contract.Your words.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Duncan's age? He still seems to be the center piece going into next year, not a problem then. Perimeter defender? Had Bowen, Bowen got in the doghouse, Pop shit canned him.

Seems like this is all Pop's fault.

Bowen's age might have had something to do with his exit and eventual retiremment. Just speculation here, but Bowen's decline, due to age, might have played a part in his feud with Pop.

elbamba
05-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Yes. Stronger, tougher, mentally strong, better shooter, rebounder, defender and just about anything else. Bonner is probably better at finding a sandwhich shop.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Asked and answered: Chandler and Haywood. More specifically, Chandler and Haywood's contract. Mahinmi contributed during the season, and the Mavs are very high on him, unlike the blind Pop disciples. The big joke is that the Spurs had nobody close to either of those guys playing ahead of Mahinmi when he was in San Antonio. Funny how Splitter couldn't get any time during the season considering how good he turned out to be in the playoffs. The Popsucker argument might be to somehow discount what Splitter actually is, but those folks will need to explain how Oberto, Nesterovic and Mohammed couldn't get off the bench in 2006 while the Mavericks were ripping up the Spurs' front line.

There's a reason people got excited over Pops Mensah-Bonsu when he was a Spur, and it's not because Pops is a great player, it's because the bar was, and still is, so low when it comes to Spurs' bigs. Honest to God, how the fuck do any of you seriously attempt to continue to defend Bonner, Dice and Blair as a big rotation?

By people, meaning like you right? Just like your constant clamoring for Mahimni, because hes long and athletic. Since I know it is painful for you to think about it, I won't ask where exactly Mahimni is right now, but what league is Pops tearing it up at? I honestly don't know. And FYI, theres no defending Bonner, Blair, and Dice. They are what they, just likes theres no defending Mahimni and Bonsu.

TJastal
05-16-2011, 02:07 PM
So Chump, would Bonner get more minutes than Mahinmi in the mavs' frontcourt rotation?

ChumpDumper
05-16-2011, 02:15 PM
So Chump, would Bonner get more minutes than Mahinmi in the mavs' frontcourt rotation?It's certainly possible since Ian was barely ever a rotation player.

cantthinkofanything
05-16-2011, 02:23 PM

EDIT - removed pic / giving poster benefit of the doubt

But comparing Bird and Bonner makes me skeptical.

It does bring up a question...

Is there any Hall of Famer that was less athletic than Bonner?
(while they were living)

Bill_Brasky
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM

:lmao

Bruno
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Who will start with Duncan should be the last of Spurs' concern. Whatever rotation Spurs do, the result will be the same: Spurs frontcourt is too weak especially defensively. A significant trade or signing must be done this offseason to tweak the frontcourt.

silverblk mystix
05-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Pop is still a couple of years behind and will continue to be until Duncan retires.
The question should not be who will be Duncan's front court running mate....it should be who will Splitter's front court running mate be?

It should be Duncan coming off the bench and playing 15-25 minutes a game while the young guys form a DEFENSIVE FOUNDATION that Duncan can come in and fortify.

That would set the bar HIGHER than trying to patch up an already weak defense by counting on an aging Duncan to be the main guy. Where the fuck was Pop when the Suns---the SUNS????--- were exposing and destroying Duncan? Where was Pop when he saw that any team can draw out Duncan on the pick and roll and then blow by him because Duncan cannot move laterally anymore?

Is Pop in denial again? Memphis just re-inforced the Duncan decline and Pop's answer is to trot out Duncan again....as the MAIN guy on a defense?????

Pop is too set in his ways to change and/or think in fresh new ways.

jjktkk
05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Pop is still a couple of years behind and will continue to be until Duncan retires.
The question should not be who will be Duncan's front court running mate....it should be who will Splitter's front court running mate be?

It should be Duncan coming off the bench and playing 15-25 minutes a game while the young guys form a DEFENSIVE FOUNDATION that Duncan can come in and fortify.

That would set the bar HIGHER than trying to patch up an already weak defense by counting on an aging Duncan to be the main guy. Where the fuck was Pop when the Suns---the SUNS????--- were exposing and destroying Duncan? Where was Pop when he saw that any team can draw out Duncan on the pick and roll and then blow by him because Duncan cannot move laterally anymore?

Is Pop in denial again? Memphis just re-inforced the Duncan decline and Pop's answer is to trot out Duncan again....as the MAIN guy on a defense?????

So whats the answer. Just force Duncan to retire? Tell Holt to spend huge bucks like Cuban and Buss for star players?

MaNu4Tres
05-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Who will start with Duncan should be the last of Spurs' concern. Whatever rotation Spurs do, the result will be the same: Spurs frontcourt is too weak especially defensively. A significant trade or signing must be done this offseason to tweak the frontcourt.

It's too late.. tbh

The time has passed..

The window is shut...

Bonner-ball experiment lasted 3 years too long. Now Duncan is 35 going on 36...

http://alteredobsession.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/feb-09-altered-atc-jenna-franklin-ship-has-sailed.jpg

200 miles
05-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Watch Pop call Tiago his favorite player now.

As long as Pop and Bonner are on the same team, Matty will always be Pop's favorite player.:married:

rascal
05-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Yes

silverblk mystix
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
So whats the answer. Just force Duncan to retire? Tell Holt to spend huge bucks like Cuban and Buss for star players?

You can start by letting Duncan be an asset instead of a liability.

You can't cheat father time...but Duncan can come off the bench and be a good 15-25 minute guy. The important thing is that the defense has to be great WITHOUT Duncan...so that when Duncan enters the game...the defense will actually be better for a few minutes...this could cause a lot of problems for any opponent.

Splitter & (free agent-MOBILE BIG) CAN START...Duncan can fortify the D.---instead of being the main anchor at his age.

TD 21
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM

You can't cheat father time...but Duncan can come off the bench and be a good 15-25 minute guy. The important thing is that the defense has to be great WITHOUT Duncan...so that when Duncan enters the game...the defense will actually be better for a few minutes...this could cause a lot of problems for any opponent.

Splitter & (free agent-MOBILE BIG) CAN START...Duncan can fortify the D.---instead of being the main anchor at his age.

The only team in the league that would even think about bringing Duncan off the bench is the Lakers. He'd be guaranteed to start for every other team in the league.

I've heard the "Duncan off the bench" thing a few times now and it's flat out ridiculous. He finished second among centers in PER (14th overall; 1st on Spurs). I'm not saying PER is the be all end all, but go and look at the list. The top twenty are pretty much a who's who of the best players in the league.

He's still one of the best all around bigs in the league and is good for 28-32 solid minutes most games. He just needs more help; it's that simple. He can't be paired with undersized, limited players and specialists. He needs a legit starter next to him. Splitter can be that guy, but they need someone else, as well. Someone who, when it comes to finishing games, has the capacity to not be a liability on either end.

A guy they should take a look at is Blatche. I explain why here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124967&page=24

No matter what they do, it more than likely is too late. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. After all Duncan's done for this organization, at the very least they owe it to him to continue to try to contend for his (presumed) final season or two. I'm not talking about making some insane trade that robs them of Hill and/or Splitter for some aging big. But there are realistic trades out that that can improve this team short term, while serving as a bridge to the future.

They can re-build when Duncan's gone. They'll have plenty of time to. For now, keep trying. They owe it to him and besides, it's San Antonio. It's highly unlikely (and that's being generous) they'll get anything close to another Duncan/big three.

silverblk mystix
05-16-2011, 06:58 PM
The only team in the league that would even think about bringing Duncan off the bench is the Lakers. He'd be guaranteed to start for every other team in the league.

I've heard the "Duncan off the bench" thing a few times now and it's flat out ridiculous. He finished second among centers in PER (14th overall; 1st on Spurs). I'm not saying PER is the be all end all, but go and look at the list. The top twenty are pretty much a who's who of the best players in the league.

He's still one of the best all around bigs in the league and is good for 28-32 solid minutes most games. He just needs more help; it's that simple. He can't be paired with undersized, limited players and specialists. He needs a legit starter next to him. Splitter can be that guy, but they need someone else, as well. Someone who, when it comes to finishing games, has the capacity to not be a liability on either end.

A guy they should take a look at is Blatche. I explain why here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124967&page=24

No matter what they do, it more than likely is too late. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. After all Duncan's done for this organization, at the very least they owe it to him to continue to try to contend for his (presumed) final season or two. I'm not talking about making some insane trade that robs them of Hill and/or Splitter for some aging big. But there are realistic trades out that that can improve this team short term, while serving as a bridge to the future.

They can re-build when Duncan's gone. They'll have plenty of time to. For now, keep trying. They owe it to him and besides, it's San Antonio. It's highly unlikely (and that's being generous) they'll get anything close to another Duncan/big three.

I see your point and I mean no disrespect to Duncan...but...

Wouldn't you rather have a fresh Duncan playing sparingly all season and adding him to an already stellar defense....

than a tired out overworked Duncan who plays all season on a defense that will get destroyed as soon as Duncan takes a breather?

This is what I mean by Pop thinking in new and fresh ways...why try what has already failed going on 5 years?

As much as we WANT Timmy to be what he once was...it will just not happen again.

Why not instead re-build and keep him as a luxury piece that can bring the spurs over the top in key situations (playoffs---deep run) and get to see him come in with bursts of 15-25 minute energy?

...instead of a broken down aging pathetic figure out of gas by game 2 or 3 of a 7 game series.

rmt
05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
People forget that Duncan is only 1 year younger than Dice and at times his knees look even worse than Dice's (movement-wise). I'm not advocating TD off the bench, but it's obvious he needs help to man the paint - not having to cover Bonner/Blair. He should be expected to play a role like Dice did (around 25 mins) - complementary - mostly defensive - not as part of the "big 3."

TD 21
05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I see your point and I mean no disrespect to Duncan...but...

Wouldn't you rather have a fresh Duncan playing sparingly all season and adding him to an already stellar defense....

than a tired out overworked Duncan who plays all season on a defense that will get destroyed as soon as Duncan takes a breather?

This is what I mean by Pop thinking in new and fresh ways...why try what has already failed going on 5 years?

As much as we WANT Timmy to be what he once was...it will just not happen again.

Why not instead re-build and keep him as a luxury piece that can bring the spurs over the top in key situations (playoffs---deep run) and get to see him come in with bursts of 15-25 minute energy?

...instead of a broken down aging pathetic figure out of gas by game 2 or 3 of a 7 game series.

There is no such thing as a "fresh Duncan" anymore. They monitored his minutes like never before this season. The few weeks leading up to the playoffs, he barely played. Yet as the Grizzlies series wore on, he wore down. I maintain that some of that was match-up related. He was giving up 2 inches and 20-30 pounds to Gasol. But still.

Duncan's minutes are no longer the issue. They can play him 25 mpg, 30 mpg, or anywhere in between and it's not going to make a difference. The lack of help is the issue. Saddle Garnett, Nowitzki, Gasol, etc. with his recent front lines and they're not going anywhere in the playoffs, either.

What you're suggesting is not realistic. They have yet to put a legit, long term second big in place since '03. They may have that now in Splitter. But it took them seven years to get that piece and it'll be eight before they properly utilize it. To think they'll be able to get a big who's clear cut better than Duncan, is ridiculous. They don't have the assets for it, not even if they gutted their team. And if they somehow did acquire it, you can forget about Duncan being "a luxury piece to bring the Spurs over the top", because they wouldn't have enough quality pieces to even be in that position.

Robinson was lauded when he played the role Duncan is now playing and Garnett has been lauded for it for years, but when Duncan plays it, he's a "pathetic figure"? He's still a very effective player, he's just no longer physically capable of being a dominant one-on-one scorer, because of his knees. It happens to all players, particularly great big men, who have a ton of mileage. People need to stop comparing him to the player he once was. All that does is obscure the player he still is.

rmt, Duncan has significantly more mileage than McDyess and hard mileage. Not only playoff games, but years of banging in the post, blocking tons of shots, rebounding at a high rate, etc. Those are the things that wears down the spring in one's knees.

Many of you seem to think Duncan's limited mobility is some rare thing. Apparently you guys didn't see the tail end of Olajuwon's and Ewing's careers and have ignored the tail end of O'Neal's. Robinson didn't have the mileage that those three had, so he didn't fall as far. But this is how it works.

silverblk mystix
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
There is no such thing as a "fresh Duncan" anymore. They monitored his minutes like never before this season. The few weeks leading up to the playoffs, he barely played. Yet as the Grizzlies series wore on, he wore down. I maintain that some of that was match-up related. He was giving up 2 inches and 20-30 pounds to Gasol. But still.

Duncan's minutes are no longer the issue. They can play him 25 mpg, 30 mpg, or anywhere in between and it's not going to make a difference. The lack of help is the issue. Saddle Garnett, Nowitzki, Gasol, etc. with his recent front lines and they're not going anywhere in the playoffs, either.

What you're suggesting is not realistic. They have yet to put a legit, long term second big in place since '03. They may have that now in Splitter. But it took them seven years to get that piece and it'll be eight before they properly utilize it. To think they'll be able to get a big who's clear cut better than Duncan, is ridiculous. They don't have the assets for it, not even if they gutted their team. And if they somehow did acquire it, you can forget about Duncan being "a luxury piece to bring the Spurs over the top", because they wouldn't have enough quality pieces to even be in that position.

Robinson was lauded when he played the role Duncan is now playing and Garnett has been lauded for it for years, but when Duncan plays it, he's a "pathetic figure"? He's still a very effective player, he's just no longer physically capable of being a dominant one-on-one scorer, because of his knees. It happens to all players, particularly great big men, who have a ton of mileage. People need to stop comparing him to the player he once was. All that does is obscure the player he still is.

rmt, Duncan has significantly more mileage than McDyess and hard mileage. Not only playoff games, but years of banging in the post, blocking tons of shots, rebounding at a high rate, etc. Those are the things that wears down the spring in one's knees.

Many of you seem to think Duncan's limited mobility is some rare thing. Apparently you guys didn't see the tail end of Olajuwon's and Ewing's careers and have ignored the tail end of O'Neal's. Robinson didn't have the mileage that those three had, so he didn't fall as far. But this is how it works.

Everything you are saying is probably true...

But it only reinforces my point...that it is time to think in new ways and stop thinking that Duncan should be the MAJOR defensive anchor....

It got the spurs nowhere the last four years...so it is time to face the truth...

Duncan is NOT the answer...

Yes, he still can be effective in stretches...but again...where has that gotten the spurs four years in a row?

TD 21
05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Everything you are saying is probably true...

But it only reinforces my point...that it is time to think in new ways and stop thinking that Duncan should be the MAJOR defensive anchor....

It got the spurs nowhere the last four years...so it is time to face the truth...

Duncan is NOT the answer...

Yes, he still can be effective in stretches...but again...where has that gotten the spurs four years in a row?

"Duncan is not the answer", but who is that they can realistically attain? He's still one of the best defensive anchors in the league, he's just not the best. Which is to say, he needs help.

Cessation
05-16-2011, 11:34 PM
TD 21 with the goods. Duncan is a great piece to have, especially defencivelly at center, but these days he can't be expected to shore up defencive liabilities like bonner/blair. Splitter would alright, but that leaves the bench at the mercy of the Turd Towers. Definetly a player like blatche or someone similar is a a must, if spurs have any intention of making noise in the playoffs, otherwise it will be the same story all over again.

Leetonidas
05-16-2011, 11:40 PM

Tim Duncan is a top 5 center in the NBA and you want him on the bench for 20 minutes a game? :lmao

Pure idiocy.

jjktkk
05-17-2011, 12:21 AM

You make it sound so easy to find a starting caliber big.

Russo21
05-17-2011, 02:20 AM
OK we could try fortify the defense this way. A trade with Detroit. Who have no realistic shot at a championship anytime soon and are about 7 million over the salary cap.

Ben Wallace and Greg Monroe for Antonio McDyess

Spurs get a big starting centre in Greg Monroe at 6'11" 250lbs who averaged 9.4ppg 7.5rpg 1.2 steals and will only get better, also get Big Ben who at his advanced age still averaged 1 steal and 1 block per game in limited minutes.

In return the Pistons get Antonio who retires saving Detroit about 5 million in salary and also luxury tax on top of that. May be one sided but maybe a crappy team might want to save some coin in this day and age with no realistic shot at a title or playoff appearance.

Thoughts

Russo21
05-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Duncan, Splitter, Monroe, Wallace would be a pretty solid frontcourt defensively and offensively. Couldn't give a crap about Bonner and Blair, try trade them for a decent defensive small forward if we can't unload RJ in a trade for a better fit at SF.

Cessation
05-17-2011, 02:42 AM
I like where you're going with this, but no fucking way detroit gives up such a promising young talent, just to shed some salary.

alucardthereaper
05-17-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Splitter-cast-as-Duncan-sidekick-1379352.php

Hmm i hope i'm smelling a Blair trade....

SenorSpur
05-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Theoretically, I agree with you. The problem is that Duncan has been put in the unenviable position of having to be the Spurs best big the past 2 seasons. Obviously, he's not that player anymore and should not have to be relied on as such. All of this puts the onus on Pop and RC to do whatever is necessary to augment the frontline to get in a better player to bolster the frontline to help Splitter, help Duncan.

jjktkk
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Theoretically, I agree with you. The problem is that Duncan has been put in the unenviable position of having to be the Spurs best big the past 2 seasons. Obviously, he's not that player anymore and should not have to be relied on as such. All of this puts the onus on Pop and RC to do whatever is necessary to augment the frontline to get in a better player to bolster the frontline to help Splitter, help Duncan.

Nail on the head Senor.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Are you suggesting that the Spurs should have found a big that is better than Duncan? Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time and finding a player to replace him with no cap space and limited assets would be next to impossible.

I think there has been too much focus on getting 'big' just because we lost of Memphis and their bigs of Randolph, Gasol and to some extent Arthur. But other than Memphis are there any other dominating tandems in the league? Maybe the Lakers but look how their season turned out. Looking at the four teams left in the playoffs do any of them having frontlines that are dominating? If I had to rank them I would probably go with 1) Mavs, 2) OKC, 3) Bulls and then 4) Heat. The only reason the Mavs would be number one is because of Dirks' offensive game (but hardly dominating in the paint) and also because of their playoff experience (Chandler and Haywood). OKC has some experience in Perkins but they are not a formidable frontline. The Spurs including Blair has had much success against both Thunder and Mavs.

To say that the Spurs FO has not made any progress in the last couple of years is not correct. In the past two years they have addressed their frontline by signing McDyess, Splitter, resigning Bonner and drafting Blair. I can remember the excitement when the Spurs were able to sign McDyess and many on here hailed the move as Dice was a Spurs type player, great defense, veteran, etc. I still think that Blair can be a big contributor as he is still very young and did made some improvements to his game. If he can develop a 10-12 foot jumper that should help his game tremendously. Bonner while not being the athletic, shot blocking player everyone seems to covet now is still a smart and very reliable player that understand the defensive schemes and can shoot the three.

If Dice decides to retire then the Spurs will be forced to find another big to replace him. But if he decides to return then I think the improvements of Splitter and Blair can be enough to compete in the Western Conference.

jjktkk
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Are you suggesting that the Spurs should have found a big that is better than Duncan? Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time and finding a player to replace him with no cap space and limited assets would be next to impossible.

I think there has been too much focus on getting 'big' just because we lost of Memphis and their bigs of Randolph, Gasol and to some extent Arthur. But other than Memphis are there any other dominating tandems in the league? Maybe the Lakers but look how their season turned out. Looking at the four teams left in the playoffs do any of them having frontlines that are dominating? If I had to rank them I would probably go with 1) Mavs, 2) OKC, 3) Bulls and then 4) Heat. The only reason the Mavs would be number one is because of Dirks' offensive game (but hardly dominating in the paint) and also because of their playoff experience (Chandler and Haywood). OKC has some experience in Perkins but they are not a formidable frontline. The Spurs including Blair has had much success against both Thunder and Mavs.

To say that the Spurs FO has not made any progress in the last couple of years is not correct. In the past two years they have addressed their frontline by signing McDyess, Splitter, resigning Bonner and drafting Blair. I can remember the excitement when the Spurs were able to sign McDyess and many on here hailed the move as Dice was a Spurs type player, great defense, veteran, etc. I still think that Blair can be a big contributor as he is still very young and did made some improvements to his game. If he can develop a 10-12 foot jumper that should help his game tremendously. Bonner while not being the athletic, shot blocking player everyone seems to covet now is still a smart and very reliable player that understand the defensive schemes and can shoot the three.

If Dice decides to retire then the Spurs will be forced to find another big to replace him. But if he decides to return then I think the improvements of Splitter and Blair can be enough to compete in the Western Conference.

The problem is Duncan offensively, can no longer take over a game like in years past, at least not consistantly. Duncan needs a big that can help in that area.

Jace
05-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the Spurs to discover a star big(they need a star, Duncan is too old now) drafting in the late twenties. Hard enough to find one outside the top 5, much less 20-30.

MR.SILVER&BLack
05-17-2011, 03:41 PM
like i posted in another thread. rj & blair to the kings for thompson and casspi. they are currently 13+ mill under the cap and will be between 22-23 mil salary starting in the offseason. they can easily take rj and pick up a FA big thats better than thompson.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
The problem is Duncan offensively, can no longer take over a game like in years past, at least not consistantly. Duncan needs a big that can help in that area.

Running pick and rolls with Splitter and Manu/Parker with two wings at the corners and Duncan on the opposite elbow allows Duncan the option of shooting a 12-15 foot jumper which he is very capable of doing thus forcing the big covering him unable to help on defense and allows him to stay fresh by not trying to post up down low. He can also used to screen the guard/forward for curls or baseline cuts (which the Jazz do very well). The person I'd like to see on that side would be Jefferson as this is strongest skill. Splitter cutting to the basket where he has the ability to finish, put the ball on the floor or pass to corners or cutters creates a lot of defensive movement. Damn just thinking about the possibilties gets me salivating.

Russo21
05-18-2011, 07:08 AM
like i posted in another thread. rj & blair to the kings for thompson and casspi. they are currently 13+ mill under the cap and will be between 22-23 mil salary starting in the offseason. they can easily take rj and pick up a FA big thats better than thompson.

Yep i'd do that trade in a heartbeat:flag:

SenorSpur
05-18-2011, 09:59 AM

C'mon man. How would that be possible? I'm not talking about a replacement for Duncan - because he cannot be replaced. What I am suggesting, however, is they should have found either a mid-career big, that could have either come in to provide immediate help or a a young player that would have grown into the position, where he could've helped Duncan shoulder the load and anchor the frontline.

After a couple of years and several iterations of imports, Duncan is STILL the best big on this roster - at 35 years old! That should not be.

SenorSpur
05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Since the T-Wolves now officially have the #2 pick in the draft - and should they select Derrick Williams - it could setup a scenario where Michael Beasley is expendable. Anybody interested in him, as a possible frontcourt running mate? I know he's been a bit of a head case, but would he be any worse option that say, Andrew Blatche?

Cane
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I blame the FO and the stupid NBA rookie system that prevents international players like Splitter from coming over sooner (because of $$$). Splitter with NBA experience would've been a season changer compared to the crap bigs the Spurs have had in the past like Gooden. Damn shame.

Hopefully the Spurs can make a move since Pop eventually abandoned the Blair/Bonner combo. Both young and veteran teams have frontcourts that will abuse the Spurs lack of defensive depth.

Grabbing or developing some legit perimeter defenders could go a long way in making the most out of Duncan's defense as well. Anderson looked like he had good potential until his injury; Green looks decent as well...

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Blair's a fatty, and that's all Pop was pointing out.

Only 1 team wins the championship...the Spurs will be back.

ogait
05-18-2011, 10:59 AM

I haven't seen this mentioned at all in the forum http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/09/sports/la-sp-heisler-lakers-20110510/2.

"San Antonio — Tony Parker makes a lot of money for someone with a backup the Spurs love (George Hill), could be available although the Spurs would have to get back a real prize — Pau Gasol? — to deal with the Lakers"

Now obviously there isn't any chance the Lakers would even consider this trade, but it's surprising LA media to even mention such a possibility. Pau value in LA really took a hit.

And since this is basically fantasy basketball we're talking about, and considering Pau peformance in the playoffs this year, would Spurs fan do this trade straight away? Just wondering.

I certainly would.

spurs10
05-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have a timeline for when these trades could go down. This summer after the Finals? Will most movement go down after the pending lockout is resolved? Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I was encouraged by Pop's recent staements that they are looking to make some moves to improve our front court.

TJastal
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned at all in the forum http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/09/sports/la-sp-heisler-lakers-20110510/2.

"San Antonio — Tony Parker makes a lot of money for someone with a backup the Spurs love (George Hill), could be available although the Spurs would have to get back a real prize — Pau Gasol? — to deal with the Lakers"

Now obviously there isn't any chance the Lakers would even consider this trade, but it's surprising LA media to even mention such a possibility. Pau value in LA really took a hit.

And since this is basically fantasy basketball we're talking about, and considering Pau peformance in the playoffs this year, would Spurs fan do this trade straight away? Just wondering.

I certainly would.

+1

A Gasol/Duncan/Splitter frontcourt would be solid, only weak point would be Bonner, whom I'm sure Pop will continue using 20 minutes a game. :bang

Russo21
05-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Parker to the Clippers for Chris Kamaan and Eric Gordan?

Nah that won't happen would it :(

Spurs da champs
05-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Parker to the Clippers for Chris Kamaan and Eric Gordan?

Nah that won't happen would it :(

lol Clippers traded the number#1 pick for mo williams nuff said.

Russo21
05-20-2011, 11:09 PM
lol Clippers traded the number#1 pick for mo williams nuff said.

They did lol?:lmaoDumbasses

Well maybe they would do this trade then lol:toast

TVI
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM

I don't think so.

The biggest knock on Mahinmi isn't really that he's foul prone, it's that he's stupid, which is a big reason why he's foul prone. Some players are physically gifted but lack the instinct or basketball IQ. Kwame Brown is also such a player.

Ian can't seem to grasp any real system. In a run-and-gun free-for-all, against lesser talent, he can occasionally contribute due to sheer size and athletic ability, but in a real game, where strategy is everything, he's a liability because he doesn't have a clue where he's supposed to be or when he needs to rotate. He's always out of position, and therefore he fouls when he reacts to being out of position.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't think so.

The biggest knock on Mahinmi isn't really that he's foul prone, it's that he's stupid, which is a big reason why he's foul prone. Some players are physically gifted but lack the instinct or basketball IQ. Kwame Brown is also such a player.

Ian can't seem to grasp any real system. In a run-and-gun free-for-all, against lesser talent, he can occasionally contribute due to sheer size and athletic ability, but in a real game, where strategy is everything, he's a liability because he doesn't have a clue where he's supposed to be or when he needs to rotate. He's always out of position, and therefore he fouls when he reacts to being out of position.

Mahinmi haters/popologists playing the "dumb" card now since they can't play the "foul prone" card anymore

What's going to be next after the "dumb" card?

:lol :rollin :lmao

Oh, btw..ppl used to comment all the time during game threads about how well Mahinmi rotated defensively, how he was always in the right place. Bzzzzt! Try again popsucker!

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 02:32 PM
can't play the "foul prone" card anymore

Why not?

PFs per 48 minutes:

2009-10: 9.31

2010-11: 10.33

TJastal
05-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Why not?

PFs per 48 minutes:

And Ibaka fouls alot too... should he not play either?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Ian did rotate decently, but pretty much every time he made a mistake with one he would just foul, and his fouls often piled up rapidly, forcing him to be taken out of the game. This happened in the D-League as well as the NBA. He just hasn't been consistent enough to be a rotation player on a contending team. Haven't you figured that out by now?

[awaits playing of the Haywood contract card]

Spurs da champs
05-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Ibaka is much smarter and better then Ian. He hasn't fouled out much in the playoffs.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Ian did rotate decently, but pretty much every time he made a mistake with one he would just foul, and his fouls often piled up rapidly, forcing him to be taken out of the game. This happened in the D-League as well as the NBA. He just hasn't been consistent enough to be a rotation player on a contending team. Haven't you figured that out by now?

[awaits playing of the Haywood contract card]

For an and of the bench player does it really make that much difference if Mahinmi plays 15-20 minutes a game and racks up 4-5 fouls? Does anyone care really if he fouls out? Doesn't make much difference, IMO.

Would you rather have those fouls (plus a handful of blocks, intimidations, and shot alterations) then having Bonner standing around with his thumb up his ass holding up a sign that says "Detour here"

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Why not?

PFs per 48 minutes:

Ibaka

2010-11: 5.8

Yeah, they are totally alike in that respect.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 02:48 PM
For an and of the bench player does it really make that much difference if Mahinmi plays 15-20 minutes a game and racks up 4-5 fouls? Does anyone care really if he fouls out? Doesn't make much difference, IMO.

Would you rather have those fouls (plus a handful of blocks, intimidations, and shot alterations) then having Bonner standing around with his thumb up his ass holding up a sign that says "Detour here"Contradict yourself much?

lol 20mpg end of bench player.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Ibaka

2010-11: 5.8

Yeah, they are totally alike in that respect.

Well this is just terrible, and thanks for pointing this awfulness out.. In his limited minutes he picks up a pair of fouls in an average game. Just terrible. I think I'm gonna go cry now.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Still moving goal posts. Good to see your game hasn't changed. :lol

You said he couldn't be called foul prone any longer. The numbers clearly show that he is.

Ibaka averaged 5.78 PF/48 compared to Ian's 10.31, so there ya go. Ibaka is also a much better basketball player than Ian, but you know that already.

Look at the last two years with Ian. He didn't get regular minutes with the Spurs. He didn't get regular minutes with the French National Team (played behind guys that play in the French League). Finally, he couldn't get regular minutes with Dallas, getting fewer minutes than Brian Cardinal. That's three coaches in two years who couldn't find a way to get Ian into the rotation. I guess they're all just idiots. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Well this is just terrible, and thanks for pointing this awfulness out.. In his limited minutes he picks up a pair of fouls in an average game. Just terrible. I think I'm gonna go cry now.I guess you've never seen Ian actually play.

That makes the most sense here.

Your saying shit like 5.8 = 10.3 and end of bench players log 20 minutes a game reinforces the theory you simply have no idea what you are talking about.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 02:56 PM

You said he couldn't be called foul prone any longer. The numbers clearly show that he is.

Ibaka averaged 5.78 PF/48 compared to Ian's 10.31, so there ya go. Ibaka is also a much better basketball player than Ian, but you know that already.

Look at the last two years with Ian. He didn't get regular minutes with the Spurs. He didn't get regular minutes with the French National Team (played behind guys that play in the French League). Finally, he couldn't get regular minutes with Dallas, getting fewer minutes than Brian Cardinal. That's three coaches in two years who couldn't find a way to get Ian into the rotation. I guess they're all just idiots. :rolleyesContracts!

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Look at the last two years with Ian. He didn't get regular minutes with the Spurs. He didn't get regular minutes with the French National Team (played behind guys that play in the French League). Finally, he couldn't get regular minutes with Dallas, getting fewer minutes than Brian Cardinal. That's three coaches in two years who couldn't find a way to get Ian into the rotation. I guess they're all just idiots. :rolleyes

And what, he just turned 24? He's a Presti signing too. I think he's still deleoping and learning the nba game.

Funny how he always seemed to play well when given the rare chance with the spurs. He even performed well against the grizzlies frontline.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310115029

Remind me again... how did the traffic cone.. err ... Bonner do against the grizzlies?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:05 PM
The age card!

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:07 PM
And what, he just turned 24? He's a Presti signing too. I think he's still deleoping and learning the nba game.

Funny how he always seemed to play well when given the rare chance with the spurs. He even performed well against the grizzlies frontline.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310115029You're giving us a 19-point loss as evidence that Ian played well?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Looking for another box score?

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 03:19 PM
lol TJastal

He still delivers the goods.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I guess you've never seen Ian actually play.

That makes the most sense here.

Your saying shit like 5.8 = 10.3 and end of bench players log 20 minutes a game reinforces the theory you simply have no idea what you are talking about.

:cry :whine

I feel like I'm arguing with little sissified cuckold versions of Pop. Omg we can't foul! We have to play by the rules! Someone might actually foul out of a game, then what would we do?? :sleep

This is why guys like Bonner are playing and will continue to play...guys who will back down from contact and hardly ever contest a shot.. stand arms upraised and still get tagged with a foul while becoming posterized. Regular season wonders who will not hack it once the playoffs start.

If I had a say, I'm going with Ian cuz we I know his fouls will count. Good, hard fouls, and 6 of em. Who gives a shit if he fouls out..

I'm gonna go cry some more now.. seems to be the prevailing theme around here lately...

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:26 PM
You're giving us a 19-point loss as evidence that Ian played well?

Did Ian play well against the grizzlies, yes or no?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:27 PM

I feel like I'm arguing with little sissified cuckold versions of Pop. Omg we can't foul! We have to play by the rules! Someone might actually foul out of a game, then what would we do?? :sleep

This is why guys like Bonner are playing and will continue to play...guys who will back down from contact and hardly ever contest a shot.. stand arms upraised and still get tagged with a foul while becoming posterized. Regular season wonders who will not hack it once the playoffs start.

If I had a say, I'm going with Ian cuz we I know his fouls will count. Good, hard fouls, and 6 of em. Who gives a shit if he fouls out..

I'm gonna go cry some more now.. seems to be the prevailing theme around here lately...No one who fouls at that rate is a "15-20 mpg end of bench player."

Your tantrums will not change that.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm going with Ian cuz we I know his fouls will count.

:lol

First version: Ian's not foul prone!

Second version: Ibaka's foul prone and he plays!

Third version: Doesn't matter because he's an end of the bench player who plays 15-20 mpg! (still trying to figure that one out)

Latest version: It's good that he's foul prone because his fouls will count!

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Did Ian play well against the grizzlies, yes or no?Bonner had a great game against Memphis in February.

Whoopee.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:35 PM
No one who fouls at that rate is a "15-20 mpg end of bench player."

Your tantrums will not change that.

So again, why is this a problem for a guy playing 15 minutes a game exactly?

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:38 PM

First version: Ian's not foul prone!

Second version: Ibaka's foul prone and he plays!

Third version: Doesn't matter because he's an end of the bench player who plays 15-20 mpg! (still trying to figure that one out)

Latest version: It's good that he's foul prone because his fouls will count!

I never said Ian wasn't foul prone, just said it was a bad argument to use against him. Maybe I wasn't clear enough? And your other "versions" that take my statements out of context (if even that) is retarded. Tbh, I expect better from you, Mel_13.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:39 PM
So again, why is this a problem for a guy playing 15 minutes a game exactly?Nobody who fouls at that rate plays that much in the NBA.

Period.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I never said Ian wasn't foul prone, just said it was a bad argument to use against him. Maybe I wasn't clear enough? And your other "versions" that take my statements out of context (if even that) is retarded. Tbh, I expect better from you, Mel_13.

Sure...

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Nobody who fouls at that rate plays that much in the NBA.

Period.

Chump, are you defending Bonner?

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Period.

I guess Dallas must've missed that memo when they signed him to a contract this past off season.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Chump, are you defending Bonner?Nope. It was just too good a comparison to pass up.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I guess Dallas must've missed that memo when they signed him to a contract this past off season.No, Ian played 8.7 mpg like a real end of bench player.

Are you high or something?

You are making even less sense than usual.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 03:48 PM
So again, why is this a problem for a guy playing 15 minutes a game exactly?

Period.

I guess Dallas must've missed that memo when they signed him to a contract this past off season.

They signed him to minimum contract and played him in 56 out of 82 games at only for 8.7mpg in those 56 games. So, it looks like they did get that memo.

btw, quoted your complete posts to avoid taking anything out of context.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 03:55 PM
My mistake. I read that Chumpdumper quote to mean that no player who fouls at that rate plays in the nba. So he doesn't play much? For a guy getting anywhere from 5-20 minutes on any given night how is this a problem, again? He'll still never foul out of a game.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 03:59 PM
The only guy who meets TJ's rather specious definition of a 15-20 mpg end of bench player who fouls at a high rate is Ryan Hollins, who played 16.9 mpg while fouling at a rate of 8.1 per 48. And even TJ has to know Cleveland was not a contender this season.

Hollins also played a bit for Dallas in the 08-09 season, where he played 9.6 mpg while committing 8.2 fouls per 48.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
My mistake. I read that Chumpdumper quote to mean that no player who fouls at that rate plays in the nba. So he doesn't play much? For a guy getting anywhere from 5-20 minutes on any given night how is this a problem, again? He'll still never foul out of a game.You moved the goalposts 10 minutes.

Now you are trying to say what is the harm in playing Ian exactly the way the Mavs and Spurs played him?

Well, I have to agree: There is no harm in playing Ian as much as the Mavs and Spurs played him.

Good talk.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 04:01 PM
My mistake. I read that Chumpdumper quote to mean that no player who fouls at that rate plays in the nba. So he doesn't play much? For a guy getting anywhere from 5-20 minutes on any given night how is this a problem, again? He'll still never foul out of a game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201103060DAL.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201102160DAL.html

TJastal
05-21-2011, 04:07 PM
The only guy who meets TJ's rather specious definition of a 15-20 mpg end of bench player who fouls at a high rate is Ryan Hollins, who played 16.9 mpg while fouling at a rate of 8.1 per 48. And even TJ has to know Cleveland was not a contender this season.

Hollins also played a bit for Dallas in the 08-09 season, where he played 9.6 mpg while committing 8.2 fouls per 48.

I wouldn't say its specious. When Brendan Haywood was out with various injuries, Mahinmi was more than adequate in that capacity, logging 13 games in the 2010/11 regular season of 15+ minutes. If there is something inadvertently specious about this, please point it out.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't say its specious. When Brendan Haywood was out with various injuries, Mahinmi was more than adequate in that capacity, logging 13 games in the 2010/11 regular season of 15+ minutes. If there is something inadvertently specious about this, please point it out.So you don't believe he should be a rotation player on a contender with everybody healthy.

I agree.

Good talk.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201103060DAL.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201102160DAL.html

Um, at his current foul rate is what I was referring to (in regards to lasting the required 15-20 minutes). :rolleyes

But I'm so glad you could point out the whole TWO games he fouled out in. I'm sure its going to trigger another wave of crying fits for anyone who happens to read it.

Excuse me, now it's my turn.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Um, at his current foul rate is what I was referring to (in regards to lasting the required 15-20 minutes). :rolleyes

But I'm so glad you could point out the whole TWO games he fouled out in. I'm sure its going to trigger another wave of crying fits for anyone who happens to read it.

:cry :whineThat's the point. The Sacramento garbage time 7 minute DQ came after a pretty decent performance in Haywood's place on the road against Houston a few days before. Against the Kings he forced Haywood to close out the game.

He's not consistent enough to be relied upon by a contending NBA team.

TVI
05-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Mahinmi haters/popologists playing the "dumb" card now since they can't play the "foul prone" card anymore

What's going to be next after the "dumb" card?

:lol :rollin :lmao

Oh, btw..ppl used to comment all the time during game threads about how well Mahinmi rotated defensively, how he was always in the right place. Bzzzzt! Try again popsucker!

Wow, are you always this much of an immature dick, or do you just really hate having anyone challenge your perspective? I disagree with your opinion that Mahinmi was capable of being "Duncan's front court running mate." Period. And I gave you reasons why. That hardly translates to being a "hater" or a "popsucker."

BTW, you completely missed the point.

The point, is that Ian wasn't simply foul prone (i.e. committing bad fouls was the only negative aspect of his game), but rather that the fouls he committed were often the result of having a low basketball IQ, and therefore committing stupid fouls was but one of the problems with his game.

The context of this thread was the need to find "Duncan's front court running mate." Your quote (in response to the Spurs needing to find an athletic big like Chandler, Camby, or Ibaka):

Now, you continue moving the goal posts in a desperate attempt to justify your statement. You've now migrated to "fouls don't matter since he's only going to be a 20-minute-end-of-bench player, which is a contradiction in, and of itself (end of bench players don't get 20 minutes a game), nevermind actually becoming "Duncan's front court running mate," which by definition necessitates that he'd become a starter, (which even you should understand that obviously takes him out of the 20-minute-end-of-bench-player role [lmfao!] which you've now tried to morph this argument into).

Epic. Mahinmi. Cheerleader. Fail.

Next.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 04:19 PM
So you don't believe he should be a rotation player on a contender with everybody healthy.

I agree.

Good talk.

Yup, good talk. He's a notch below Haywood but still better than Bonner, Blair or Dice. At roughly 1/10 the price. Cheerio.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 04:20 PM
That's the point. The Sacramento garbage time 7 minute DQ came after a pretty decent performance in Haywood's place on the road against Houston a few days before. Against the Kings he forced Haywood to close out the game.

He's not consistent enough to be relied upon by a contending NBA team.

So says who? You?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Yup, good talk. He's a notch below Haywood but still better than Bonner, Blair or Dice. At roughly 1/10 the price. Cheerio.He still wouldn't be in the rotation, just like he wasn't before and isn't now.

ChumpDumper
So says who? You?

:lmaoSays the last two contending teams he played for.

He just isn't as good as you claim him to be.

Mel_13

So even when I quote your post in it's entirety, you still meant something else?

Sorry if I conclude that your words mean exactly what they say. I was hoping for more from you, but it's still the same old, same old.

:rolleyes

TJastal
05-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow, are you always this much of an immature dick, or do you just really hate having anyone challenge your perspective? I disagree with your opinion that Mahinmi was capable of being "Duncan's front court running mate." Period. And I gave you reasons why. That hardly translates to being a "hater" or a "popsucker."

The point, is that Ian wasn't simply foul prone (i.e. committing bad fouls was the only negative aspect of his game), but rather that the fouls he committed were often the result of having a low basketball IQ, and therefore committing stupid fouls was but one of the problems with his game.

The context of this thread was the need to find "Duncan's front court running mate." Your quote (in response to the Spurs needing to find an athletic big like Chandler, Camby, or Ibaka):

Now, you continue moving the goal posts in a desperate attempt to justify your statement. You've now migrated to "fouls don't matter since he's only going to be a 20-minute-end-of-bench player, which is a contradiction in, and of itself (end of bench players don't get 20 minutes a game), nevermind actually becoming "Duncan's front court running mate," which by definition necessitates that he'd become a starter, (which even you should understand that obviously takes him out of the 20-minute-end-of-bench-player role [lmfao!] which you've now tried to morph this argument into).

Next.

I never said Mahinmi was ready for a prime time role as starter. Please show me the quote where I mention this.

And tbh, I don't think Ian could do any worse than Blair if basketball IQ is the primary measuring stick. Blair easily leads the team every season in "dumbest plays".

blizz
05-21-2011, 04:27 PM
THE fuckin goods.

Next.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I never said Mahinmi was ready for a prime time role as starter. Please show me the quote where I mention this.

And tbh, I don't think Ian could do any worse than Blair if basketball IQ is the primary measuring stick. Blair easily leads the team every season in "dumbest plays".Eh, you think he's good enough to be a 0-40 minute per game end of bench rotation sixth man and defensive player of the year on a championship team.

You made that crystal clear.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Eh, you think he's good enough to be a 0-40 minute per game end of bench rotation sixth man and defensive player of the year on a championship team.

:rollin

Like shooting fish in a barrell.

blizz
05-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Eh, you think he's good enough to be a 0-40 minute per game end of bench rotation sixth man and defensive player of the year on a championship team.

Yet that somehow means that he could have been Duncans running mate. Call me crazy but I think Duncans running mate would have to be on the floor more than 15 minutes.

DMC
05-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Duncan would have to actually run.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 04:40 PM

The player you have compared him with (more than once, btw), has started every playoff game for a Western Conference finalist.

When you say Ian is a "Serge Ibaka type player" you are saying he is ready for a prime time role.

They're your words, quoted in full.

Can't wait to hear what they actually mean or how I've taken your words out of context.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
The player you have compared him with (more than once, btw), has started every playoff game for a Western Conference finalist.

When you say Ian is a "Serge Ibaka type player" you are saying he is ready for a prime time role.

They're your words, quoted in full.

Can't wait to hear what they actually mean or how I've taken your words out of context.

Jump to conclusions much?

In the paragraph you quoted..

All I said he was the same "type" of player. Doesn't mean he is ready to jump into a starting gig for a playoff team (although its still a relative unknown at this point)

Then I compared their foul prone natures.. since it was an argument used against Mahinmi for most of his career.... again I am not saying he "ready for a prime time role"

Really, how do you manage to misconstrue and misunderstand everything I say so badly? :lol

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Jump to conclusions much?

In the paragraph you quoted..

All I said he was the same "type" of player. Doesn't mean he is ready to jump into a starting gig for a playoff team (although its still a relative unknown at this point)

Then I compared their foul prone natures.. since it was an argument used against Mahinmi for most of his career.... again I am not saying he "ready for a prime time role"

Really, how do you manage to misconstrue and misunderstand everything I say so badly? :lolSo he can be like Ibaka, except not start, not play anywhere near as many minutes and foul a lot more often.

Bold.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 05:09 PM
So he can be like Ibaka, except not start, not play anywhere near as many minutes and foul a lot more often.

Bold.

Yes. And the spurs would have been much better off with Ian playing Bonner's role in the playoffs.

Randolph and Gasol would have had more than a traffic cone standing in their path, plus Duncan could have actually caught a breath or two in the middle of the game and gotten his second wind.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Really, how do you manage to misconstrue and misunderstand everything I say so badly?

By reading them, much as others in thread have done.

Bottom line is simple:

The topic of this thread is "Duncan's front court running mate".

You have:

1. Brought Mahinmi into the discussion.

2. Compared him favorably to Ibaka.

Having done that, and more, you have proceeded to run away from your own words on multiple occasions.

It's really quite amusing, if a bit disappointing.

TJastal
05-21-2011, 05:32 PM
By reading them, much as others in thread have done.

Bottom line is simple:

The topic of this thread is "Duncan's front court running mate".

You have:

1. Brought Mahinmi into the discussion.

2. Compared him favorably to Ibaka.

Having done that, and more, you have proceeded to run away from your own words on multiple occasions.

It's really quite amusing, if a bit disappointing.

Well, a sub point was brought up (the lack of athletic big who can play D and block shots), and as a matter of course I felt it was necessary to mention the spurs DID have a player like that on the roster who specialized in those skills.

Never said Mahinmi & Ibaka were the same exact player... but there are similarities. Both athletic, good size with hops, both have prone to foul problems (Mahinmi moreso), both good shotblockers, each has nice touch. I'd even argue Mahinmi has a better developed post game than Ibaka, something else the spurs are currently lacking. I don't think Ian is nearly as polished around the rim as Ibaka or quite as good a shotblocker or defender so ya he is not in the same class currently. But the spurs are really in no position to be fickle.. they need what Mahinmi has, even if in short bursts.

That is all.

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Color it any way you guys like...

but Mahinmi is still in the playoffs right now...while the spurs are fishing...

and you could arguably say that the Chandler/Haywood/Mahinmi bigs are better than the

...Duncan/Dice/Bonner/Blair "bigs"

If Mahinmi is so shitty...I would think the Mavs would of taken a pass on him.

You can also probably safely say...that any other coach in the NBA...would take Mahinmi over Bonner.

But go ahead and keep making excuses for the complete shit of a coach and player combo that are Pop/Bonner.

blizz
05-21-2011, 05:56 PM

but Mahinmi is still in the playoffs right now...while the spurs are fishing....
that the Mavs are still in the playoffs has absolutely nothing to do with Ian whatsoever. There's a guy named dirk nowitzki that has just little something to do with that. And the argument that why did Dallas take him then is bullshit. There's shitty players on every team, it's called filling out your roster.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, a sub point was brought up (the lack of athletic big who can play D and block shots), and as a matter of course I felt it was necessary to mention the spurs DID have a player like that on the roster who specialized in those skills.

The post you quoted when you introduced Ian to this discussion said that the Spurs need someone like Chandler, Camby, or Ibaka to play next to Tim. You said then, and appear to be saying again, that Ian is that type of player.

But of course you're not saying that Ian is ready for prime time....or are you?

You've backtracked, moved the goalposts and changed the subject so many times that it is impossible to tell. :rolleyes

jjktkk
05-21-2011, 05:58 PM

but Mahinmi is still in the playoffs right now...while the spurs are fishing...

and you could arguably say that the Chandler/Haywood/Mahinmi bigs are better than the

...Duncan/Dice/Bonner/Blair "bigs"

If Mahinmi is so shitty...I would think the Mavs would of taken a pass on him.

You can also probably safely say...that any other coach in the NBA...would take Mahinmi over Bonner.

But go ahead and keep making excuses for the complete shit of a coach and player combo that are Pop/Bonner.

No one was arguing about front lines. The point is just about Mahimni. not Haywood and Chandler. So your throwing your hat into the ring about that idiot head coach of the Spurs who let Mahimni walk away and now is regretting that Mahimni is the 4th best big on the Mav's roster? How can anyone make excuses for that horrible error in judgment? The nerve of that man. :lol

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 06:00 PM
but Mahinmi is still in the playoffs right now

So is Brian Cardinal. What's your point?

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 07:13 PM
No one was arguing about front lines. The point is just about Mahimni. not Haywood and Chandler. So your throwing your hat into the ring about that idiot head coach of the Spurs who let Mahimni walk away and now is regretting that Mahimni is the 4th best big on the Mav's roster? How can anyone make excuses for that horrible error in judgment? The nerve of that man. :lol

Or you can be brutally honest and look at it the way it really is;

That the Mavs coaching staff has gotten the Mavs further in the playoffs than the spurs.
Part of the reason is that Pop depended on a Blair/Bonner duo to go with a 37 yo dice next to a 35 yo duncan.
The Mavs coaching staff thought that Mahinmi was a worthwhile investment-regardless of minutes played...maybe as an insurance policy...while Pop deemed Mahinmi not even worth keeping ...while re-signing the turd towers...

So is it any accident that Ian is on a team that is more stacked than the spurs?

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 07:17 PM
and don't forget...

Splitter is getting the SAME fuckin' treatment that Ian got...

if Pop goes un-checked he will absolutely let Tiago go and keep Bonner....it just so happened that that asshole-Pop got embarrassed by a nobody coach and a nobody team which will hopefully cause that asshole to check himself....it just might force him to play Tiago or if not--- at least he knows that he will continue to be an embarrassment.

No help from you guys who are here defending his idiotic decisions.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Or you can be brutally honest and look at it the way it really is;

That the Mavs coaching staff has gotten the Mavs further in the playoffs than the spurs.
Part of the reason is that Pop depended on a Blair/Bonner duo to go with a 37 yo dice next to a 35 yo duncan.
The Mavs coaching staff thought that Mahinmi was a worthwhile investment-regardless of minutes played...maybe as an insurance policy...while Pop deemed Mahinmi not even worth keeping ...while re-signing the turd towers...

So is it any accident that Ian is on a team that is more stacked than the spurs?

If only the Spurs were run by the same people that have run the Mavs over the last decade. Mark and Donnie have pressed all the right buttons. Just imagine how successful the Spurs could have been....

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Splitter is getting the SAME fuckin' treatment that Ian got...

That's so far from the truth it defies description.

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
If only the Spurs were run by the same people that have run the Mavs over the last decade. Mark and Donnie have pressed all the right buttons. Just imagine how successful the Spurs could have been....

So keep living in the past then...

the fact is that TODAY...as we speak...

the mavs have made the decisions to keep them ahead of the spurs...

TODAY and the near future are the only decisions that should matter and Pop has failed four years in a row.

Continue to bask in the 4 titles while the league goes with youth and athleticism while Pop goes with Bonner and his ilk.

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 07:37 PM
That's so far from the truth it defies description.

I guess you weren't watching this entire fuckin season going down the tubes while Splitter was nailed to the bench...even though Splitter contributed positively every single time he got to play.

I guess you weren't paying attention during game 1, game 2 and game 3 of the playoffs this season...while Tiago rotted on the bench for no fuckin reason whatsoever ...and Bonner played 20+ minutes and the Spurs were down 2 to 1.

The only difference in how Tiago was treated is that Pop panicked and grasped for straws to try and catch up....only the fuckin moron forgot that he had never tried to DEVELOP his biggest/longest/youngest/ most promising player on the fuckin' roster....

How you can sit here and support this fuckin' moron and berate other posters for having the guts to tell it like it is after the fuckin debacle and stupidity displayed by this piece of shit senile moronic coach...is beyond me...

You guys will never stop to question ...only blindly believe whatever you are fed...4 rings...I guess...

You guys remind me of the guy that got caught fuckin in bed by his wife...and then he tells her...

Who are you gonna believe....me or your lying eyes?

You guys are the wife-by the way...

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 07:41 PM

TODAY and the near future are the only decisions that should matter and Pop has failed four years in a row.

Continue to bask in the 4 titles while the league goes with youth and athleticism while Pop goes with Bonner and his ilk.

Nice mixture of nonsense mixed with a meltdown. :lol

To anticipate where you go next, answer these questions. Were Holt/RC/Pop smarter than Cuban/Donnie/Rick when the Spurs beat the Mavs in 2010? Was the Suns FO smarter than the Spurs FO when the Suns swept the Spurs in 2010?

By your logic, the Mavs should have followed the example of the 2010 Spurs while Spurs followed the example of the 2010 Suns. :rolleyes

The Cuban/Donnie tandem has achieved less success with more assets than most any team in NBA history. I hope the Spurs choose a better role model if they're ready to make major changes.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I guess you weren't watching this entire fuckin season going down the tubes while Splitter was nailed to the bench...even though Splitter contributed positively every single time he got to play.

I guess you weren't paying attention during game 1, game 2 and game 3 of the playoffs this season...while Tiago rotted on the bench for no fuckin reason whatsoever ...and Bonner played 20+ minutes and the Spurs were down 2 to 1.

The only difference in how Tiago was treated is that Pop panicked and grasped for straws to try and catch up....only the fuckin moron forgot that he had never tried to DEVELOP his biggest/longest/youngest/ most promising player on the fuckin' roster....

How you can sit here and support this fuckin' moron and berate other posters for having the guts to tell it like it is after the fuckin debacle and stupidity displayed by this piece of shit senile moronic coach...is beyond me...

You guys will never stop to question ...only blindly believe whatever you are fed...4 rings...I guess...

You guys remind me of the guy that got caught fuckin in bed by his wife...and then he tells her...

Who are you gonna believe....me or your lying eyes?

You guys are the wife-by the way...

Even better meltdown. :lol

These two things are not the same:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mahinia01/gamelog/2010/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/splitti01/gamelog/2011/

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Even better meltdown. :lol

These two things are not the same:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mahinia01/gamelog/2010/

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/splitti01/gamelog/2011/

Keep enjoying the losing.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Keep enjoying the losing.

Keep posting the non-sequiturs.

silverblk mystix
05-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Keep posting the non-sequiturs.

Keep defending the idiot coach and his idiotic decisions.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Keep defending the idiot coach and his idiotic decisions.

Now you're just making stuff up. :lol

NewJerSpur
05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Ryan Richards on the way......

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Now that Brontosaurus has appeared, this thread has everything!

Spurs da champs
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
4wCfmsh-Y_4

Their is a reason he's in Europe still.

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 08:41 PM
The history of Greek-born players in the NBA is the real joke:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=GR&state=

Mel_13
05-21-2011, 09:09 PM
The average NBA center would not even make the roster of PAO or Olympiacos.

Yet a former NBA center, who could not even get a minimum contract from an NBA team, is on Oly's roster.

Spurs da champs
05-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Then why have those guys from Greece sucked in the NBA? I mean the NBA center position is pathetic right?:rolleyes

Sense
05-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Yet a former NBA center, who could not even get a minimum contract from an NBA team, is on Oly's roster.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 10:16 PM
The average NBA center would not even make the roster of PAO or Olympiacos. NBA center position is absolutely pathetic.

It would be the easiest competition Bourousis has had in years.

Yet a former NBA center, who could not even get a minimum contract from an NBA team, is on Oly's roster.To be fair, Rasho is below the average NBA center at this point.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 10:17 PM
And lol at the protracted meltdowns.

Bottom line: the Mavs' not playing Ian has gotten them farther in the playoffs than the Spurs' not playing Ian.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2011, 10:29 PM

GOD I HATE BONNER............. The sight of his name makes me mad as hell :ihit:ihit

blizz
05-21-2011, 11:13 PM
How many minutes did Ian play tonight?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2011, 11:14 PM
How many minutes did Ian play tonight?Doesn't matter. He's the reason they won.

blizz
05-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Doesn't matter. He's the reason they won.

Apparently towel waving is more important that we thought.

silverblk mystix
05-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Doesn't matter. He's the reason they won.

How many did Bonner play?

How did Pop do last night?

So STFU.

Mel_13
05-22-2011, 08:41 AM

So STFU.

The meltdown continues. :lol

Russo21
05-22-2011, 09:04 AM
DeAndre Jordan from the Clippers is a free agent i think?

6'11" 265lbs monster out of Texas

Averaged 7.1ppg 7.2rpg 1.8bpg & 68% FG in 25 minutes

He'd be far and away bigger and better then any big on our roster who doesnt wear #21. With Blake Griffin and Chris Kamaan on the Clippers roster they don't really need him, we could certaintly offer more minutes and a chance to win.

Would be an under the radar signing that could really help our front court.

(PS: worse then SHAQ at shooting free throws):wow

silverblk mystix
05-22-2011, 10:07 AM

He'd be far and away bigger and better then any big on our roster who doesnt wear #21. With Blake Griffin and Chris Kamaan on the Clippers roster they don't really need him, we could certaintly offer more minutes and a chance to win.

Pop would nail him to the bench and play Bonner over him...

Get rid of Pop=most problems solved.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2011, 01:06 PM

So STFU.:lol

U mad.

Mel_13
05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Then why have those guys from Greece sucked in the NBA? I mean the NBA center position is pathetic right?:rolleyes

The NBA center position is an epic joke. Anyone claiming otherwise immediately proves they have never in their lives played basketball.

You didn't answer the question. Account for this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=GR&state=

Texas_Ranger
05-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Vassilis Spanoulis:
July 12, 2007: Traded by the Houston Rockets with a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Nando DeColo) to the San Antonio Spurs for Jackie Butler and Luis Scola.

Now that was a great trade. :D

oh, and LOL Jackie Butler.:lol

Mel_13
05-22-2011, 05:39 PM
You are a racist. Account for that.

Still haven't answered the question.

lol Greeks in the NBA.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2011, 06:50 PM
I am putting you on ignore and more than that I am placing a curse on you because at this point you deserve it.

An Arkansas curse or a fake Greek curse? Which one is worse?

ChumpDumper
05-22-2011, 07:05 PM
That is not a question. Also it has been proven 100 times here that you are full of shit.

Seikally
Jaric
Stojakovic
Tsaklidis
Nesterovich

Are all Greeks.Fake Greeks.

They might as well be from Arkansas.

I am putting you on ignore and more than that I am placing a curse on you because at this point you deserve it.Could you elaborate on this curse you are placing on him?

Ice009
05-22-2011, 07:14 PM

I watched DeAndre Jordan last year in the Summer League against the Spurs and he was horrible. Nearly everyone on the Spurs SL team outplayed him. He has improved since then, but I'm just not sure he is that good as I still recall some of those SL games he sucked when he should have been dominating.

Mel_13
05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I am placing a curse on you

http://www.axiomfiles.com/Images/Dynamic/339906.png