PDA

View Full Version : Here's an interesting exercise...

The Ressurrected One
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
...on the filibuster of judicial nominees.

Imagine, if you will, a Democrat President nominating a judge whose constitutional and policy views were, by any measure, on the extreme left fringes of American society.

Let’s assume, for example, this nominee had expressed strong sympathy for the position that there is a constitutional right to prostitution as well as a constitutional right to polygamy.

Let’s say, further, this nominee had attacked the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts as organizations that perpetuate stereotyped sex roles and the nominee had proposed abolishing Mother’s Day and Father’s Day and replacing them with a single androgynous Parent’s Day.

And, to get really absurd, let’s add that the nominee had called for an end to single-sex prisons on the theory that if male prisoners are going to return to a community in which men and women function as equal partners, prison is just the place for them to get prepared to deal with women.

Let’s further posit this nominee had opined that a manifest imbalance in the racial composition of an employer’s work force justified court-ordered quotas even in the absence of any intentional discrimination on the part of the employer. But then, lo and behold, to make this nominee even more of a parody of an out-of-touch leftist, let’s say it was discovered that while operating their own office for over a decade in a city that was majority-black, this nominee had never had a single black person among more than 50 personal hiring opportunity.

Imagine, in sum, a nominee whose record is indisputably extreme and who could be expected to use their judicial role to impose those views on mainstream America. Surely such a person would never be nominated to an appellate court. Surely no Senate Democrat would support someone with such extreme views. And surely Senate Republicans, rather than deferring to the nominating power of the Democrat President, would pull out all stops—filibuster and everything—to stop such a nominee. Right?

Well, not quite. The hypothetical nominee I have just described is, in every particular, Ruth Bader Ginsburg at the time she was nominated to the Supreme Court in 1993.

President Clinton nominated Ruth Bader Ginsburg on June 22, 1993. A mere six weeks later, on August 3, 1993, the Senate confirmed her nomination by a 96-3 vote.

(The source for the information in the second through fourth paragraphs is “Report of Columbia Law School Equal Rights Advocacy Project: The Legal Status of Women under Federal Law,” co-authored by Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Brenda Feigen Fasteau in September 1974. The information in the fifth paragraph can be found in the transcript of Ginsburg’s confirmation hearing.)

Look it up!

Guru of Nothing
06-09-2005, 03:22 PM
http://www.cinemagic.org.uk/images/classic_family_films/image/wizard_of_oz.jpg

Oh My!

RandomGuy
06-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Look it up!

Fallacy: Straw Man

Description of Straw Man
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

Person A has position X.
Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
Person B attacks position Y.
Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.

I see you have been reading the national review, heh.

Astonishingly enough, I DID look it up.
I downloaded and skimmed most of it.
There are TWO authors for that paper, and it does not distiguish between who said what. It would be a fair guess to say that about 50% of it was from the other author. To be fair: Ruth probably didn't disagree too much with the 50% that wasn't hers otherwise she wouldn't have put her name on it.

I actually found it interesting to see into the window of what was going on in gender issues 30 years ago. I found it kind of scary that several statues specified that women were indeed "persons", as if some special mention of this was required.

While I too find the idea of mixed prisons to be a silly one, the overall bent of the report was right on. 5 bits out of a two hundred page report should tell anyone with some critical thinking that maybe there is something you aren't quite being told. This something is that the rest of the report wasn't far "out of the mainstream" overall. The social context of the early 70's was still one of women trying to achieve some level of professional parity on a variety of fronts.

I will close with some quotes from the "conclusions" section, and perhaps the rest of us can judge a bit better what the report REALLY said, instead of relying on biased samples.

"Equalization of the treatment of women and men under federal law is an overdue task... many [disparities] are obsolete or of minor importance, when viewed in isolation. But the cumulative effect is relfective of a society that assigns to women, solely on the basis of their sex, a subordinate of dependent role.
As we enter the closing quarter of the twentieth century,... federal law should not portray women as "the second sex," but as persons with rights, responsibilities, and opportunities fully equal to those of men.
Government should not steer individual decisions by casting the laws weight on the side of (or against) a particular method of ordering private relationships."

Radical stuff that... :rolleyes

(edited form slightly for readability--RG)