PDA

View Full Version : Very good article about Luis Scola

Axe Murderer
05-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry if it's a little old but pretty good read, imho

Talks about how Scola's success haunts the Spurs

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/luis-scola-rubs-salt-in-old-wounds

I watched and TiVo’d yesterday’s Brazil vs. Argentina game looking to write another Tiago Splitter post for those who might not have had the opportunity to watch it.
Shortly after the game I deleted the program with almost nothing of note on Splitter, mostly because Luis Scola was too depressingly dominant to pay attention to anything else.
There were other notable storylines to be sure. The game itself was terribly exciting and begs the question of why Brazil (and former Argentina) coach Rudy Magnano is not heard of in NBA circles more often, given that he appears to be one of the top coaches in the world.
But the story of the night was best summarized in a Tweet from Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, “Scola goes into video game god mode to finish off Brazil. Wow.”
That’s not to say that Tiago Splitter did not do some nice things San Antonio Spurs fans should be excited about. There was the pick and roll defense, which should plug a leak in the Spurs defense. The nice pass to teammate Anderson Varejao. A few nice passes actually. But based off what admittedly is a small sample size, comparing the two will be an exercise in disappointment for Spurs fans.
That’s because in terms of gap in ability, Tiago Splitter might be to Luis Scola what Brazilian teammate Leandro Barbosa is to Manu Ginobili.
Perhaps it’s not fair to call them watered down versions of their Argentine counterparts. Both Barbosa and Splitter are nice pieces who would be welcomed with open arms on most NBA rosters. But Ginobili and Scola, they have it in them to carry teams through stretches.
Last week our own Andrew McNeill wrote about the death of the Spurs role player. Not too long ago the Spurs could afford to simply surround their big three with role players whose only responsibilities were to defend and play off Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Ginobili.
In his current form, Tiago Splitter certainly fits that mold. Perhaps better than any recent role player not named Robert Horry or Bruce Bowen. But to borrow from Andrew’s post:

"The transition from shopping for role players to searching for stars will begin. They can’t expect to land the number one overall pick in the draft and select a franchise cornerstone like Duncan and David Robinson. Again. Nor do the Spurs have international prospects stashed overseas with the potential for greatness like Ginobili and Parker."

Like Fabricio Oberto before him, Tiago Splitter is a player whose talents seem best suited to fit around Duncan. Luis Scola? Scola is playing like a cornerstone who could be stepping into his offensive role and replacing him for stretches of the season.
Defensively, Splitter might be better. But the other intangibles he possesses, Scola matches and surpasses. Both have solid footwork, but Scola has the body to establish and hold position and the touch to capitalize on them that Splitter has failed to show in the two games I have watched.
Scola has every bit the intuition and concept of spacing that makes Splitter a fantastic pick and roll player, only he also has a sweet jump shot with range (several of them barely moved the net yesterday as they swished through).
In short, Scola is one of those cornerstones the San Antonio Spurs did not know they needed to be looking for a few years back. Tiago Splitter is good, but still a piece entirely dependent on an aging core.

venitian navigator
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
It's difficult to disagree with what is written in that article... the most important thing is is about the differences between the two players : and the worst point for Spurs F.O. is that these differences where clear already a long time ago.
The only reason to sell Scola to Houston could have been if part of the "price" was for them to draft somebody else than Splitter, in case he was on their radar...but at this point, also considering that their draft choice has been not so bad, it's also possible that nothing abount Splitter has aver been involved in the Scola Trade and that everything was made just for sparing some money (getting Butler out and so going under the lux tax limit).
It's still not clear today : the F.O. has never confirmed if the choice of Splitter was part of the deal.

elbamba
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Scola is a great basketball player, but he too is a role player. Scola is not Duncan or Manu.

ivanfromwestwood
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
imagine if we would have signed Scola and still drafted Splitter. *tear*

Chomag
05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Spurs chose to free room to sign Bonner over keeping him. The thought of this still ruffles me up to this day. :lol

Bill_Brasky
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM

http://i55.tinypic.com/t7o6ci.jpg

dunkman
05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Scola is a great basketball player, but he too is a role player. Scola is not Duncan or Manu.

He's more than a role player, but he's already 31. He carried the Rockets trough some playoffs series and is being paid more than the MLE.

He's not a successful franchise cornerstone, but he is a complementary player like Manu. This season, right when Duncan slowed down, he averaged 18.3 ppg and 8.2 rpg. While he doesn't block many shots, that's what Pau Gasol averaged the season he was traded to the Lakers (18.9 ppg / 8.8 rpg).

When the Spurs needed to score in playoffs during the last four seasons and when the bench did too little, he could have helped a lot.

The FO missed the boat with that one.

elbamba
05-16-2011, 04:45 PM
He's more than a role player, but he's already 31. He carried the Rockets trough some playoffs series and is being paid more than the MLE.

He's not a successful franchise cornerstone, but he is a complementary player like Manu. This season, right when Duncan slowed down, he averaged 18.3 ppg and 8.2 rpg. While he doesn't block many shots, that's what Pau Gasol averaged the season he was traded to the Lakers (18.9 ppg / 8.8 rpg).

When the Spurs needed to score in playoffs during the last four seasons and when the bench did too little, he could have helped a lot.

The FO missed the boat with that one.

I agree with most of what you say. Spurs certainly could have used him the last four years. He is a major improvement over Bonner, Dice, Splitter or anyone else we can throw in there. I wish he was on the team.

However, he is not Pau, he is not even close to Pau. Their numbers being similar takes nothing into consideration as to the surrounding circumstances. He might be a step up from role player but not by much. On the Spurs, he probably goes for 11 and 6.

cantthinkofanything
05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Your mom has aged poorly. She also looks a little nuts.

http://i55.tinypic.com/t7o6ci.jpg

ElNono
05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
However, he is not Pau, he is not even close to Pau.

I disagree. I would argue that talent-wise, they're very similar. With Scola making up for the extra length that Pau has with being much more rugged. Scola has always been underrated, especially around here.
IMO, Pau is the better player, but if you seen enough Spain vs Argentina games, you'll know the difference is not as big as you claim.

MmP
05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Scola is Manu kind caliber player, he needs room in a good team. They're cut from the same stone, winning is everything for him too. damn...

Indazone
05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Scola Thread!!! :lol

This never gets old.