PDA

View Full Version : Played pick up bball with Ryan Richards.

jabol130
05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
He was at the Rogers Ranch Spectrum yesterday with some other guys whom I didn't recognize playing pick up 5on5. I got there during one of the games and was able to run in his last one. I hope this is not just wishful thinking but the guy can really be key to the Spurs future. Yeah, he can rip the rim and has a nice post up game, but he's almost a 7 footer and who knows at his age he could very soon become one. What surprised me the most were his handles. At 6-11 to dribble the ball the way he did is pretty damn impressive. Has a great outside shot too. I've heard comparisons to Kevin Garnett but I think he has potential to be better than that, at least offensively. I would say the most accurate comparison would be Kevin Durant with a better post up game and a little more ferocity to his game. Not the same level of course, not yet at least. I really hope the Spurs bring him over permanently next season. And I mean the Spurs not the Toros. The sooner this guys starts developing in our system the better for both sides.

ernest787
05-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Lol

hahahahhahahaah

lol

hahahahaahahahaah

seriously?

xellos88330
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Well if he is good, he is good. I will have to see it for myself.

ChuckD
05-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Didn't someone say that it's not "almost" any more? He's actually like 7'1" now.

cd98
05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Pro player looking good amongst the scrubs at Spectrum?

yavozerb
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Richards is gonna be shocked as to how hard basketball is when he faces an actual player who is taller than 6'9...Love how he is ready cause he can dribble and can dunk at the spectrum

sananspursfan21
05-16-2011, 09:37 PM

exactly. if you played shaq in a pick up game his handle would look good to you. when i played against anthony tolliver in my town he played like jordan to us. he would swish every shot and break all of our ankles. but you don't see that when you watch them against fellow pros. when a professional or potential pro plays a bunch of average joes, there going to look amazing. richards may become a solid big someday, but there's no way he's gonna be like garnett

I. Hustle
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
He scored on you and your crew nigga?! You and your crew?! Aaaaawwwwww chit look out 2012! We finna get that LO!!!!!

Johnny RIngo
05-16-2011, 10:17 PM
He was at the Rogers Ranch Spectrum yesterday with some other guys whom I didn't recognize playing pick up 5on5. I got there during one of the games and was able to run in his last one. I hope this is not just wishful thinking but the guy can really be key to the Spurs future. Yeah, he can rip the rim and has a nice post up game, but he's almost a 7 footer and who knows at his age he could very soon become one. What surprised me the most were his handles. At 6-11 to dribble the ball the way he did is pretty damn impressive. Has a great outside shot too. I've heard comparisons to Kevin Garnett but I think he has potential to be better than that, at least offensively. I would say the most accurate comparison would be Kevin Durant with a better post up game and a little more ferocity to his game. Not the same level of course, not yet at least. I really hope the Spurs bring him over permanently next season. And I mean the Spurs not the Toros. The sooner this guys starts developing in our system the better for both sides.

Has to be a troll thread or a joke topic.

Fabbs
05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
http://oligoclonal.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/20091009163519ralph_wiggum.png
We ate sausage after the game.

jaffies
05-16-2011, 10:56 PM
There used to be this college kid that would school the shit out of everyone at the UTSA gym. I mean straight up fuckin up anyone on both ends of the court. He was about 6'7", had handles like a PG, hops like Spud Webb, and never missed a jumper. That's not an exaggeration, I literally NEVER saw him miss a goddamm shot. He'd dunk on anyone at anytime, mostly because he was faster than everyone on the court. And don't forget about defense, his favorite thing to do was volleyball your shot against the glass and see how far it would ricochet. And who was this gift-from-the-BB-gods? Who was this phenomenon that would change the game forever?

Adrian Gibbs.

Employee of the Month for December 2002 at Pappasito's

tmtcsc
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Ouch. But pretty accurate. I saw Johnny Moore school a bunch of soldiers at Ft. Sam Houston's Sports Arena back in 1990. That was after his Desert Fever.

It's incredible how good Pro Basketball players are. They hardly miss shots and make everything look easy. Guys that you don't normally see dribble behind their backs or between their legs or do crazy crossovers during Pro games, can pull all that shit off when they are just playing pick up games.

Its boom, boom, gone. Flash, score and head back up the court.

It makes me laugh to no end to see people diss Matt Bonner in here. Yes, we all know he isn't the answer for the Spurs problems but the guy led the NBA in 3 pt FG %. LED THE NBA IN 3 PT FG % and people slam him as a scrub that wouldn't be able to compete against high schoolers. That's plain ignorant.

Juanobili
05-16-2011, 11:35 PM
He scored on you and your crew nigga?! You and your crew?! Aaaaawwwwww chit look out 2012! We finna get that LO!!!!!

:lol

jabol130
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Richards is gonna be shocked as to how hard basketball is when he faces an actual player who is taller than 6'9...Love how he is ready cause he can dribble and can dunk at the spectrum

Ready for what? He is not ready to practice with the Spurs? His dribbling is impressive for a guy his size whether it's displayed at Spectrum or your backyard and what I'm trying to say is that based on that he seems more skilled than a typical big man his age and size.

Leetonidas
05-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah it's kinda sad that Bonner could literally destroy anyone one this forum at basketball one on one

daslicer
05-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Played against Damon Jones several years ago in a gym and he looked like he could be in the same league as a Derrick Rose,CP3. That just goes to show you how extraordinary just average nba players can look against average joes.

gospursgojas
05-17-2011, 12:44 AM
NBA players are the best of the best of the best in the world. The worst NBA player is gonna look like Jordan at Spec.

I played with Amall Mcaskill at Full Life once and he was amazing....yeah amall mcaskull

Axe Murderer
05-17-2011, 12:58 AM
It's incredible how good Pro Basketball players are. They hardly miss shots and make everything look easy. Guys that you don't normally see dribble behind their backs or between their legs or do crazy crossovers during Pro games, can pull all that shit off when they are just playing pick up games.

Its boom, boom, gone. Flash, score and head back up the court.

Exactly, it's really weird.

Even college players, who shoot 41% in games, will go up to the rec and never miss anything. At Texas Tech, we had this guard named Nic Okorie who was one of our best players. Our rec center gets really competitive but when this guy came up there you would've literally thought it was LeBron and there's no way this guy can't go pro....

He's currently a bench player for a last place team in some shitty league in Finland :lol

wunderkindepiphany
05-17-2011, 03:32 AM

yezzir.

G-Dawgg
05-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Imagine if he could play the 3 position...wow. We could have Duncan, Splitter, and Richards as our frontcourt...damn.

Kori Ellis
05-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Ready for what? He is not ready to practice with the Spurs? His dribbling is impressive for a guy his size whether it's displayed at Spectrum or your backyard and what I'm trying to say is that based on that he seems more skilled than a typical big man his age and size.

Actually you said that he's probably going to be better than KG, and maybe almost as good as Durant.

Though people appreciate the perspective that you actually saw him play, realistically his ceiling is probably around Bonner's. If he ends up sticking in the league and averaging 5 and 4 that would be an accomplishment.

TwelveGs210
05-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Not trying to be an ass, but Lmao @ going as far to say he could have more potential than KG, because he just balled up on the Average Joes Gym Allstar squad.

JonNOKC
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
no doubt what he did in pickup game is not the forum to accurately judge the kids abilities but there are definitely some in the Spurs organization that feel this kid especially offensively has a very high ceiling

As an individual talent I don't think there is much comparison between Bonner and Richards and pretty sure RR would school Bonner 1on1 right now - in terms of playing 5on5 professional basketball against the best in the world no one, not even the Spurs personnel/coaching guys, has much of an idea on RR potential

hater
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM
so he dominated a bunch of srubs and that's how you deduct he will be a HOF player??

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

goddam this forum went to the shitters

cd98
05-17-2011, 09:07 AM

The NBA is neither the Spectrum or a spursreport poster's backyard.

taps
05-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Played against Dex Pittman a few years ago and he was awful, maybe not even the best guy in the pickup game

realistically his ceiling is probably around Bonner's.

*averts eyes from smooch pic*

Funny, reading the OP I was hoping for some defensive analysis because we already have a one dimensional stretch 4. Hope Ryan is willing to make defense the priority - that's the need not necessarily more offense.

Oh and thanks Kori for not deleting my account when I asked you to.

Buddy Holly
05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Though people appreciate the perspective that you actually saw him play, realistically his ceiling is probably around Bonner's. If he ends up sticking in the league and averaging 5 and 4 that would be an accomplishment.

I can't get behind this "prediction" considering the kid has never played a game against strong talent. Give him his chance first, then predict.

ginobilized
05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
How did his shoulder seem? Is he fully recovered from surgery?

SsKSpurs21
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM

well if he was balling like KG and durant, id say it was fine. :downspin:

Chieflion
05-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Excellent thread. Will recommend to Bonner.

jag
05-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Actually you said that he's probably going to be better than KG, and maybe almost as good as Durant.

Kind of hard to say that for a guy who isn't even signed to the team and has yet to play an NBA game, D-League game or college game.

Kori Ellis
05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Kind of hard to say that for a guy who isn't even signed to the team and has yet to play an NBA game, D-League game or college game.

That's why I said ceiling. A more likely outcome to me is that he never even makes the NBA.

Oh, Gee!!
05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
By these standards, Hot Sauce of And1 fame should be running point for the bulls instead of rose.

wildbill2u
05-17-2011, 02:30 PM
BOHICA! The new flavor of the month can't miss future Allstar that will generate multiple threads on Spurs Talk whether he ever makes the squad or not.

Somebody help me remember the list of previous flavors-of-the month who've wandered in and out of SpursTalk threads.

I'm starting with SATO, Gist, James White, Gee, Tolliver, the Russian SF guy, the Latvian Giant, etc.

jabol130
05-17-2011, 05:22 PM

My opinion has nothing to do with whom this guy balled on or how dominant he was in an amateur pick up game or how many immature responses this post would get. Eight of the 10 guys in the game seemed to be his buddies or guys he knows and I actually played on his team so if he balled on anyone it would have been his friends.

That's besides the point though. Again, I did not expect that kind of skill-set from Richards. Yes, I do believe he could develop into a big NBA 3 ala Durant. Whether the Spurs choose to hang on to him and pursue that route remains to be seen but I believe they will. So, comparisons to Durant or Garnett are strictly based on the style of play not the level of play and my opinion about his potentially developing into a player better offensively than Garnett is based solely on that as well. Finally, for anyone to say that a 20 year old kid's ceiling with this skill-set is that of Bonner's is ridiculous. No one can say what a ceiling is for an NBA rookie at age 20. There are way too many factors. I don't want to get carried away here but barring any major injuries I would be willing to bet that everyone will see if not soon enough, someday, somewhere that this kid will be much better than Matt Bonner to say the least.

joshdaboss
05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I lold @ better than Kevin Garnett offensively.

jabol130
05-17-2011, 05:23 PM

I didn't know he had a shoulder injury. It seemed just fine.

jabol130
05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Played against Dex Pittman a few years ago and he was awful, maybe not even the best guy in the pickup game

*averts eyes from smooch pic*

Funny, reading the OP I was hoping for some defensive analysis because we already have a one dimensional stretch 4. Hope Ryan is willing to make defense the priority - that's the need not necessarily more offense.

Oh and thanks Kori for not deleting my account when I asked you to.

I wouldn't even begin to try to use this pick up game to evaluate any of his defensive skills. He didn't play much defense at all. I don't know if that's whether it was just because it was a random pick up game or whether he is just not used to playing good defense. I looked him up on YouTube and outside of a his own comment about how he could have played better D in one the games highlighted in the video there aren't many defensive highlights of his. I don't think that is a strong part of his game. Hopefully, if he sticks the Spurs can address that. Judging by his his length and very good mobility for a guy his size it's probably more a question of the effort than ability.

Yorae
05-17-2011, 11:41 PM
What's up with that kissing and nipples in the avatars? Thank god its break time here.....

bluefoot
05-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I went to Spectrum and got star struck by Ryan Richards. Judging by his dominance of his guy coming off a night shift at the hospital, I ranked him as better than Kevin Garnett (at least offensively) and better than Kevin Durant. Oh but not on their level, whatever that means.