PDA

View Full Version : 5 trade scenarios for the Lakers

TheMACHINE
05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Might be a re-post

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-trades-20110514,0,4761144.story

1) Denver point guard Raymond Felton ($7.6 million) and power forward Al Harrington ($6.2 million) for Lamar Odom ($8.9 million) and Steve Blake ($4 million).

The emergence of point guard Ty Lawson makes this trade eminently doable from Denver's side. Odom is the best player in the deal, but the Lakers get a 26-year-old point guard with career averages of 13.7 points and 6.7 assists.

Harrington's contract is a bit steep (four more years, $27.7 million) but he can score from long distance and averages 13.8 points in his career.

The Lakers get rid of Blake's contract (three more years, $12 million) while the Nuggets hope he recaptures the 49-game run he had with them in 2006-07, probably the best of his career (8.3 points, 6.6 assists).

2) Charlotte point guard D.J. Augustin ($3.2 million) and center DeSagana Diop ($6.9 million) for Odom, Devin Ebanks ($788,872) and a 2014 first-round draft pick.

Augustin, 23, is a quick point guard who can score and pass but doesn't do quite enough to break Charlotte's bank for an extension in what will be a contract year.

The Bobcats get out of paying Diop $14.3 million over the next two seasons, fully immerse themselves in "Khloe & Lamar" fever and hope the Lakers crater in a few years with that draft pick.

Diop has averaged only 2.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in his career, becoming a pricey backup to Andrew Bynum.

3) Chicago point guard Derrick Rose ($7 million) for Artest ($6.8 million). Just making sure you're paying attention. Moving along …

3) Golden State small forward Dorell Wright ($3.8 million), center Andris Biedrins ($9 million) and point guard Charlie Bell ($4.1 million) for Odom and Luke Walton ($5.7 million).

If the Lakers want a shooter, they can't do much better than Wright, 25, who led the NBA with 194 three-pointers.

Golden State surely would not mind unloading oft-injured Biedrins, who has three years and $27 million left on his contract … and averaged only five points and 7.2 rebounds last season. If the Lakers shed Walton's remaining contract (two more years, $11.5 million), it takes some sting off acquiring Biedrins' heavy deal.

Bell did not do much as a backup point guard last season and would be a smaller salary dump for Golden State.

And yes, Odom has been in all three trades but is valuable because of his talent level and two remaining contract years, including a partially guaranteed $8.2 million in 2012-13.

4) Cleveland point guard Ramon Sessions ($4.3 million) for Ebanks and a 2014 first-round draft pick.

Sessions was minding his own business, having a terrific January and February, when the Cavaliers traded for Baron Davis. End of fun run. Beginning of Sessions' cloudy future in Cleveland.

Like Charlotte in the earlier hypothetical, the Cavaliers hope the Lakers swan-dive in a few years. They trim two more years and $8.8 million of Sessions while thinning out a crowded point guard situation that also includes Daniel Gibson. Maybe Ebanks will turn into something at small forward for them.

The best part for the Lakers? In Sessions they get a quick point guard who is 25. The second-best part? They finally get something back for Sasha Vujacic. This deal is possible under NBA rules because of the "trade exception" of about $5 million that the Lakers received after sending Vujacic to New Jersey in December.

5) Orlando center Dwight Howard ($18.1 million) for Bynum ($14.9 million).

The mother of them all. The NBA's top center for its second-best center.

Actually, Dirk Nowitzki let slip last week that Bynum was the top center in the league. Was the Magic listening?

Orlando faces a problem after next season when Howard, 25, can terminate his contract and become a free agent. The Lakers face a problem whenever Bynum, 23, grabs one of his knees.

Orlando has to determine that something is better than nothing, because Howard could leave without any compensation.

The catch: Orlando might insist the Lakers absorb the monster contract of fading point guard Gilbert Arenas, who has a staggering three years and $62.4 million remaining. It's worth mentioning that he averaged eight points and shot a pathetic 34% in 49 games with Orlando.

If Arenas needed to be included, the Lakers could stack up enough contracts (Walton, Artest, Blake, Fisher) to make it work under NBA trade rules, but two accountants, a lawyer and a notary would be needed to figure out the math.

My head hurts. I'm through being a GM for a day.

[email protected]

picc84
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/facepalm1_Twilight_Stupidity_Effect-s580x375-63744-580.jpg

picc84
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Is there any way I can email that writer anthrax?

Nathan89
05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
1. Denver won't do that.
2. I don't think that is a good trade for the Lakers.
3. Don't know enough about the players.
4. Same.
5. Bynum won't agree to an extension so I doubt it would happen.

hater
05-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Odom is the most consistent best LAKER type player. Yeah, trade him away :tu

Nathan89
05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Odom is the most consistent best LAKER type player. Yeah, trade him away :tu

Pau,Bynum, and Kobe are all better than Odom. I've always thought Odom was overrated and he didn't show me anything new. He had a great regular season and then he under performed in the playoffs. If I was running the Lakers I would highly consider shipping Odom. They have to ship someone. A package of Odom/Blake/picks could bring a nice return.

BlackSwordsMan
05-17-2011, 01:19 PM
6) - Bring back what's left of the 80's lakers and hope they do a better job.

lefty
05-17-2011, 01:24 PM
lol at number 1

Odom is THE bench for the Lakers

TheManFromAcme
05-17-2011, 02:31 PM
6) - Bring back what's left of the 80's lakers and hope they do a better job.

Lakers should. that 80's group could beat an 8 :rolleyes

BlackSwordsMan
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Can't do any worse than 36

cheguevara
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
all shitty trades, lakerfan must be in a world of hurt

TheManFromAcme
05-17-2011, 03:05 PM

meh, we lose big. we win big

that's just the way it is

17 is around the corner. no worries. :toast

mediocirty is a hell of a place to be at isn't it BSM? i feel ya man......actually, I don't....Lakers aren't there....:D

TheManFromAcme
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
all shitty trades, lakerfan must be in a world of hurt

collusion is the panacea of all....

BlackSwordsMan
05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah we still have our football..uh..baseball..soccer..swimteam..polo team...
the alamo
LOL NO ALAMO IN LOS ANGELES FAGGOT

05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
inb48

BlackSwordsMan
tbh i dont think I've ever been to the alamo and I've been here 25 years

BlackSwordsMan
inb48

024 with the fucking goods.

05-17-2011, 03:50 PM
1) probably the most even trade. might actually improve the lakers.
2) please do this trade lakers
3) lol what are the warriors going to do with a 31 yr old odom and a useless luke walton? they are young, they don't need odom.
4) why would the cavs give up sessions for nothing? sessions actually had a good second half of the season.
5) lol orlando isn't going to trade howard for bynum straight up. good luck trying to absorb arenas's contract.

Jose Canseco
05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
No mention of trading Pau and the only mention of Bynum is for D12... straight up LMAO?

I didn't know Devin Ebanks was such a valuable asset in the league.

Lol at being able to trade Luke Walton or Steve Blake even in a package deal.

Muser
05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Big jugs Bynum for Dwight straight up :lmao

MR.SILVER&BLack
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
LA should worry about finding a coach that would put up with a bunch of crybabies before u start thinking about trades.

Killakobe81
05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Bynum would sign an extension ... why would he not, to be a featured player on offense?

Isitjustme?
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/facepalm1_Twilight_Stupidity_Effect-s580x375-63744-580.jpg

k I give up. Whats that?

Giuseppe
05-17-2011, 05:51 PM
LA should worry about finding a coach that would put up with a bunch of crybabies before u start thinking about trades.

The Compost Pile, sittin' on his money-maker, Game 1 of 8 withstanding.

Isitjustme?
05-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Giuseppe
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM

ChrisRichards
05-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't think those trade will pull the Lakers out of the skunker hole they're in right now.

I have a better one though.

Option A
Miami sends J Magloire, Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller for Lamar Odom and Bynum.

LA gets a real hustler who can hit that 13 footer with ease in Haslem. Mike Miller can help spread the floor and will give LA a shooting forward they desperately need. Magloire was an AS player. He'll be a good back up for Gasol.

Option B
Bosh for Bynum and Ebanks.

Bynum is a sore loser with no class, I think he needs a fresh start. Bosh is a gurantted 20/10 player given a chance. A Bosh/Gasol frontcourt would spell trouble for Dallas next season because both can give you guys the low post punch that your team desperately need.

Option C

So you want to keep Bynum? Ok. How about a Gasol for Bosh & Joel Anthony swap? We'll take your softie, you'll take ours. We'll even chip in a serviceable big man.

frodo
05-17-2011, 07:26 PM
all 5 above = lateral moves imho. just package bynum+trashes & ship it to orlando fo DH imo. odom been a solid nig this season so i don't see no season why he should be traded imho (unless being traded for CP). pau will be good as before after he recovers from fatigue. just upgrade yo PG to a mid-level young nig and yo team will rejoin da race the very next season imho

Andrew Cunanan
05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Forget Howard, if the Lakers don't get younger and quicker in the backcourt then they'll continue to slide down the WC standings imo

Killakobe81
05-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Forget Howard, if the Lakers don't get younger and quicker in the backcourt then they'll continue to slide down the WC standings imo

they do need quickness but look at what Howard did for Nelson, VC, Jrich he covered their defensive lapses ...

NewcastleKEG
05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
all 5 above = lateral moves imho. just package bynum+trashes & ship it to orlando fo DH imo. odom been a solid nig this season so i don't see no season why he should be traded imho (unless being traded for CP). pau will be good as before after he recovers from fatigue. just upgrade yo PG to a mid-level young nig and yo team will rejoin da race the very next season imho
Magic aren't trading Howard unless Arenas titanic contract is involved