PDA

View Full Version : Why Matt Drudge Still Beats Mark Zuckerberg

DarrinS
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
http://gigaom.com/2011/05/17/why-matt-drudge-still-beats-mark-zuckerberg/

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg might be Time’s reigning Person of the Year, but when it comes to influencing the distribution of online news, he’s still no match for Matt Drudge.

Facebook is closing in on 700 million users, but according to a new study by the Pew Research center, the Drudge Report sends more than twice as much traffic to the nation’s top news sites. According to the report:

Overall, Drudge accounts for 7 percent of all traffic sent to news sites. That’s more than Facebook (3 percent) and Twitter (1 percent) combined.
“Drudge Report drove more links than Facebook or Twitter on all the sites to which it drove traffic” (emphasis added). In other words, for every single news site Drudge was ranked as a traffic source, it maintained its lead over the social networking sites.

Drudge drives traffic to sites across the ideological spectrum. Fox News (11 percent), Washington Post (15 percent), ABC News (11 percent), USA Today (8 percent), and Boston Globe (11 percent) all receive significant portions of their traffic from Drudge.

Only Google tops the Drudge Report as a traffic source.

PBS created an infographic contrasting Drudge with Facebook and Twitter. A caption on the graphic puts it all into perspective: “Five of the top 21 news sites receive more than 10 percent of their audience from the Drudge Report.”

It’s time to give Drudge his due

Forget the wisdom of the crowd. When it comes to online news, Matt Drudge is the one friend that news outlets really need to have.

Given how news outlets have struggled to adapt to the rise of the web, this should make Matt Drudge a hero. He’s sending outrageous amounts of traffic to traditional news outlets, giving them a chance to monetize their professionally generated content. But if you mention Matt Drudge in the tech world, the best you can hope for is a smirk.

Drudge is seldom lauded in Silicon Valley as a web innovator — much less an amazing entrepreneur — which is a shame. Maybe it’s because the design of his website has changed little in 14 years. He’s not on the cusp of the latest web technology to deliver content. Plus, he is politically conservative, which is at odds with the Silicon Valley area’s liberal ethos.

It’s time to give Matt Drudge his due as an Internet pioneer. Before blogging and the rise of the citizen journalist, there was the Drudge Report. In 1998, he was the first to break news linking Bill Clinton to Monica Lewinsky, a scandal that would later lead to impeachment charges being approved in the House of Representatives for only the second time in our republic’s history. That might have been the rocket that took Drudge to the top, but it’s been his own hard work and journalistic instincts that have kept him there for well over a decade.

Drudge’s game-changing design, data-driven approach

Matt Drudge used the web to change the way media works. He showed us that the Walter Cronkites of the news world — curators working at massive conglomerates — shouldn’t have a stranglehold on information. In that sense, he paved the way for subsequent online content entrepreneurs like Arianna Huffington, Mike Arrington, and Om Malik.

He also set a paradigm for web design that still stands to this day. Critics who call his site ugly miss the point. It’s easy to navigate, doesn’t hide important information under sub-sections, and has a minimalist approach to layout. It’s also data-driven. Visit the Drudge Report several times in a day and you’ll see how he tweaks headlines and moves articles around to get the optimal configuration.

Will the Drudge Report’s importance to online news compared to Facebook and other social networks diminish over time? Of course. Social networking is becoming too big a part of our lives to think otherwise. But that’s missing the point. Matt Drudge is an Internet pioneer who’s been at the top of his game since the early days of the web, and he’s disrupted an entire industry in the process.

boutons_deux
05-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Drudge is no more accurate or honest than slanderer/liar Breitbart.

DarrinS
05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Drudge is no more accurate or honest than slanderer/liar Breitbart.

How do you lie when you just aggregate links?

boutons_deux
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
You select the links, no matter how shaky or unverified.

The right-wing media is characterized, dominated by fact-challenged/make-up-shit/compromised/faith-based bullshit.

Winehole23
05-18-2011, 10:33 AM
How do you lie when you just aggregate links?True. Linking to or quoting the lies and propaganda of others is journalistic "coverage." No blame, no need to vet sources for accuracy and truthfulness, right?

George Gervin's Afro
05-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I love the misleading headlines on Drudge...... when you read the article you realize the headline wasn't accurate..

Winehole23
05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
^^^happens a lot, actually. Probably part of the business model. The more inflammatory/misleading the headline, the more clicks it gets.

Winehole23
05-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Drudge is a force to be reckoned with -- in the ongoing tabloidization of American journalism.

DarrinS
05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
True. Linking to or quoting the lies and propaganda of others is journalistic "coverage." No blame, no need to vet sources for accuracy and truthfulness, right?

You mean, like

ABC
BBC
Boston Globe and Herald
CBS
CNBC
CNN
Economist
Forbes
FOX
Der Spiegel
Huffington Post
LA Times
NY Post
NY Times
Newsweek
San Fran Chronical
Seattle Times
Time
Guardian
WSJ
Wash Examiner/Post/Times
Telegraph

Lot's of LIARS, LIARS, Pants on FIRES out there. :lmao

Winehole23
05-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Pointing to the open sewer of US journalism only reinforces my point. Not sure what you find so funny about it.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 12:18 PM
How do you lie when you just aggregate links?So why does this merit a thread?

Who claims to get their news from facebook?

scott
05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I wish my FB friends would quit clouding the important stream of Farmville updates with their goddamn news

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
How do you lie when you just aggregate links?
No shit. I was wondering the same thing.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 06:26 PM
You can change the headline of the article you link on your site to give it a political spin or fit your personal agenda.

Here's an example: Yahoo posts a story entitled LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms. Some guy who doesn't actually read or understand the story picks out a couple of details he thinks confirms his biases and titles his link to the story: Federally mandated LED lightbulbs to cost $50 each.

Even though all he did was link a story, that guy is a liar.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
You can change the headline of the article you link on your site to give it a political spin or fit your personal agenda.

Here's an example: Yahoo posts a story entitled LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms. Some guy who doesn't actually read or understand the story picks out a couple of details he thinks confirms his biases and titles his link to the story: Federally mandated LED lightbulbs to cost $50 each.

So you admit that you and all other liberals who change the title are liars, since that's your standard.

Thanx, but I find it very hypocritical that you don't attack others the same way you do us to the right

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
So you admit that you and all other liberals who change the title are liars, since that's your standard.

Thanx, but I find it very hypocritical that you don't attack others the same way you do us to the rightIf it's a flat out lie, I'll point it out if others don't. I usually include the original title if I post a full article. Feel free to tell me if I don't.

I find it funny that you want immunity when you lie.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 07:01 PM
If it's a flat out lie, I'll point it out if others don't. I usually include the original title if I post a full article. Feel free to tell me if I don't.

I find it funny that you want immunity when you lie.
I'm only judging you about your words and accusations by your own words.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm only judging you about your words and accusations by your own words.You're whining because it seems I'm picking on you and Darrin. It seems that way because you guys try to pull this shit all the time. I would expect to be called out as much if I did the same.

You want to stop being called a liar?

Stop lying.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 07:07 PM
You're whining because it seems I'm picking on you and Darrin. It seems that way because you guys try to pull this shit all the time. I would expect to be called out as much if I did the same.

You want to stop being called a liar?

Stop lying.

You're the one that never stops.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
You're the one that never stops.True, as long as I post here I will probably be calling out posters like you and Darrin when you lie. I can't shoot if I have no ammunition. The choice is yours.

DMX7
05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Darrin, WC and the rest of these goons just can't stand it when they're called out on their own bullshit.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Darrin, WC and the rest of these goons just can't stand it when they're called out on their own bullshit.
I see what I said went over your head.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
I see what I said went over your head.You can stand it when you're called out on your own bullshit?

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 08:19 PM
You can stand it when you're called out on your own bullshit?
You're kidding, right?

It is you that constantly twist words and portray them as what was not said. In your portrayal of of such, you are the liar.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
You're kidding, right?

It is you that constantly twist words and portray them as what was not said. In your portrayal of of such, you are the liar.That's why I put it in the form of a question. I don't believe for a second you can actually stand being called out on your own bullshit.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
That's why I put it in the form of a question. I don't believe for a second you can actually stand being called out on your own bullshit.
But you haven't called me on anything because you call me on stuff you make up. That's why it's a lie.

You are a legend in your own mind.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
But you haven't called me on anything because you call me on stuff you make up. That's why it's a lie.

You are a legend in your own mind.I call you out on stuff you make up.

It makes you angry, I understand.

It's far from legendary; it's quite simple, in fact.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 09:07 PM
I call you out on stuff you make up.

It makes you angry, I understand.

It's far from legendary; it's quite simple, in fact.
But you are so wrong so often. When you say I'm making it up, are you sure it wasn't my opinion, or saying what was possible?

I don't think you know how to differentiate.

ChuckD
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
But you are so wrong so often. When you say I'm making it up, are you sure it wasn't my opinion, or saying what was possible?

I don't think you know how to differentiate.

I don't think you do.

ChuckD
05-18-2011, 09:38 PM

#winning

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM

I don't think you know how to differentiate.Sure I do. Those are the times I say your opinions are stupid and terminally biased, and that you present only possibilities that reflect your need to spin every single iota of information to the favor of the political side you support but claim to not support. You remember that, don't you?

I'll grant you that Darrin outright lies more than you do.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Sure I do. Those are the times I say your opinions are stupid and terminally biased, and that you present only possibilities that reflect your need to spin every single iota of information to the favor of the political side you support but claim to not support. You remember that, don't you?

I'll grant you that Darrin outright lies more than you do.
LOL...

You still can't admit your mistakes.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 09:51 PM
LOL...

You still can't admit your mistakes.No, your mistake was thinking I call you a liar every time, when in reality I more often call you a disingenuously partisan hack.

It can be a fine distinction since a certain amount of dishonesty is involved in both situations, but if you are lying about a simple matter of fact I'll simply call you a liar and post the truth as I did with Darrin today.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
No, your mistake was thinking I call you a liar every time, when in reality I more often call you a disingenuously partisan hack.

It can be a fine distinction since a certain amount of dishonesty is involved in both situations, but if you are lying about a simple matter of fact I'll simply call you a liar and post the truth as I did with Darrin today.
Believe as you wish. I don't mind because you don't matter.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Believe as you wish. I don't mind because you don't matter.So why have you been bitching about it all evening?

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 10:31 PM
So why have you been bitching about it all evening?
Don't like your own medicine?

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Don't like your own medicine?Quite the contrary, especially since that last post was undermined by the posts of the previous four hours or so.

If I really don't matter to you, it's probably a bad idea to mind so much.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Quite the contrary, especially since that last post was undermined by the posts of the previous four hours or so.

If I really don't matter to you, it's probably a bad idea to mind so much.
So long then.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 10:54 PM
You are here to say goodbye to us, and we don't have a good word for it in English—the best is au revoir. We'll see you again.

DMX7
05-19-2011, 01:01 PM
WC is like Newt. "Anyone who uses my words against me verbatim is a liar".