PDA

View Full Version : Parker press conference: Spurs done as a contender.

Pages : [1] 2

Bruno
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Parker has had to day a press conference (http://www.eurosport.fr/basketball/nba/2010-2011/chat.shtml?chatid=a9326b1094) in France. Here are the parts regarding Spurs:

About the loss against Memphis:
I took the time to think at it. It's a big disappointment. I talked last week about it with Pop and he was truly sad. So is Duncan. We are all very frustrated after such a great regular season. It was a difficult matchup for us. We got dominated in the paint. Dallas or OKC would have been easier for us. It depends on little details. We could very well be at Dallas spot today...

About next year:
At the start of this season, I've said that it was our last shot to win it all. Duncan and Ginobili are getting older. It will be hard to renew the team. We will still have a good team but we can't say we will be a contender. There are young teams that come.

Is he disappointed about to have signed an extension given that?
Ni, I'm not. I came from a difficult season with some injuries. I only had one year left on my contract. I couldn't take the risk to turn down the 4 years extension and not securing my future.

Will he be traded?
In San Antonio, if someone is going to be traded, I know it will be me. Pop told me they wanted to keep me. It's a business but I don't think they will have given me an extension if their plan was to trade me.

About his year in NBA:
I've had on of my best season in NBA. I've improved a lot in the leadership area. In term of being a true point guard and managing games, this is my best season.

About Spurs improving the team this summer:
I don't see how we will be able to do that. We can't trade our young players. At the draft, you got to be lucky. Pop has always done a good job so I hope there will have some good surprises for next season's start. But if you know a 7'3" bigman who is a free agent, you can just call me (laugh)....

The rest of the press conference was mainly about FNT and the team he owns in France.

Dex
05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
:tu Thanks for the translation. Don't think anything he said was too outlandish, though I'd like to think that the Spurs FO has a little bit more optimism heading into the Free Agent season.

Then again, it's probably hard to know WHAT to think with all of this lockout B.S. looming.

cantthinkofanything
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM
... but I don't think they will have given me an extension if their plan was to trade me.

either that or the extension was made with a trade in mind.

cheguevara
05-18-2011, 12:09 PM
COMING INTO the season the Spurs cannot be considered contenders. which is true.

ogait
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I always liked how TP goes straight to the point when he talks to the media. Ye Spurs aren't contenders any more. Best players are older and young teams are just getting better. That's just a fact, no reason to paint a better picture, it's just the way it is.

In any case if a good deal came their way I think trade him would be for the best. Parker is still young and can be the 2nd or 3rd option in a very good team, but I really can't see him staying motivated with the Spurs when Tim and Manu retire.
It will be for the best for him and the team.

Budkin
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks! Though it's a painful reminder of how an amazing season came crashing down so fast. :depressed

ducks
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
spurs can be contenders if RJ WOULD give you 15 and 7 rebounds regular

if he starts and manu comes off the bench maybe he will take off

the one problem with manu coming off the bench is will neal be as good
dallas is a old team as well
thunder and mem are going to be tough next year

ducks
05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I always liked how TP goes straight to the point when he talks to the media. Ye Spurs aren't contenders any more. Best players are older and young teams are just getting better. That's just a fact, no reason to paint a better picture, it's just the way it is.

In any case if a good deal came their way I think trade him would be for the best. Parker is still young and can be the 2nd or 3rd option in a very good team, but I really can't see him staying motivated with the Spurs when Tim and Manu retire.
It will be for the best for him and the team.

he gets bonuses I am sure if he makes all nba team and allstar games

also if he plays well he moves his value up more and could then get traded to a contender easier

hater
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Parker has had to day a press conference (http://www.eurosport.fr/basketball/nba/2010-2011/chat.shtml?chatid=a9326b1094) in France. Here are the parts regarding Spurs:

I took the time to think at it. It's a big disappointment. I talked last week about it with Pop and he was truly sad. So is Duncan. We are all very frustrated after such a great regular season. It was a difficult matchup for us. We got dominated in the paint. Dallas or OKC would have been easier for us. It depends on little details. We could very well be at Dallas spot today...

About his year in NBA:
I've had on of my best season in NBA. I've improved a lot in the leadership area. In term of being a true point guard and managing games, this is my best season.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

are you fucking kidding me? and what happened at the PG position TP??? truth is you got raped by 2 scrubs called Michael Conley and Grievis Vasquez. Truth is you shot 25% in the series opener. Truth is you had 30 assists and 20 turnovers. Truth is you and Pop are the 2 main reasons the Spurs got bounced out in the 1st round.

Now I seen it all. Ship this motherfucker out of here :ihit

TimmehC
05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Parker is going to be involved in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. A massive 5 team trade is in the works as of last nights draft lottery.

I find your lack of blue text disturbing.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Phila, don't feed the stupid trade TP fire.

ducks
05-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Parker is going to be involved in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. A massive 5 team trade is in the works as of last nights draft lottery.

so who gets howard?
who spurs get?

spur fans do not deserve tp

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Trading TP is stupid unless you get some no brainer deal. However, TP does seem to be placing more blame on his teammates than himself for this years massive playoff failure. He's right about the future and what is hurting the team, but for the playoffs he was #1 on the list of problems which is both shocking and disappointing.

ogait
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Trading TP is stupid unless you get some no brainer deal. However, TP does seem to be placing more blame on his teammates than himself for this years massive playoff failure. He's right about the future and what is hurting the team, but for the playoffs he was #1 on the list of problems which is both shocking and disappointing.

I don't know about that. He recognizes Tim and Manu are past their primes and even if he's possibly playing as good as ever as far as an entire season goes he knows that alone won't get us to contention. I like that he's not saying that generic shit like we'll try to get better and fight for a championship next year. It would take something huge (trade) for that happen.

And I don't want him traded because of his basketball ability, I don't want him traded but if a good move presents itself it's something Spurs should be opened about.

Plus, If he says things like these with Tim and Manu still on the team, can you imagine his motivation when they're both retired and he's left leading the team.

I. Hustle
05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Why don't we just trade rj for Blake Griffin? That would take care of the athletic big guy we need and it would get rid of RJ. What do you think fellas?

Mr Fundamental
05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
If he thinks that we're done as a contender then trade him.

Bring players who beileve that we could win another one.

Kermit
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM
so who gets howard?
who spurs get?

spur fans do not deserve tp

True. We should recognize that even his shitty performance in the this year's playoff was a gift from God.

Agloco
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM

About next year:
At the start of this season, I've said that it was our last shot to win it all. Duncan and Ginobili are getting older. It will be hard to renew the team. We will still have a good team but we can't say we will be a contender. There are young teams that come.

I don't see how we will be able to do that. We can't trade our young players. At the draft, you got to be lucky. Pop has always done a good job so I hope there will have some good surprises for next season's start. But if you know a 7'3" bigman who is a free agent, you can just call me (laugh)....
[/I]

I think TP is explicitly stating what most people around here have suspected since 2008.

:tu

joshdaboss
05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
I've been sick of this guy for years. He has the biggest ego on the team, and he isn't even close to the best player on the team, he's never been. Trade him. He's the most movable piece, it's obvious what needs to be done. If Pop truly is serious about becoming a great defensive team again, trading Parker would make a lot of sense, considering he's the worst defender on the team. Frankly, I have no idea why people are surprised he got lit up by Conley, when I actually sit down and think about it. He's been torched by scrubs many times before, such as Luke Ridnour. Trade him for size/athleticism and try your damnedest to get Dragic, imo.

Further, why is he saying the Spurs are done as a contender? I remember people getting upset when Doug Collins said they couldn't beat Miami if they were clicking... well, this is 10x worse. It gets even worse when you realize the Spurs had the best record in the West and Parker was the main reason they didn't advance. That's an absolutely terrible attitude to have for a team that was the #1 seed in the West. Suddenly they're just going to burn out? No. Fuck that. Trade this joker. Good riddance.

joshdaboss
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
If he thinks that we're done as a contender then trade him.

Bring players who beileve that we could win another one.

This x1000000000000000000.

The Truth #6
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Is this serious?

Bruno
05-18-2011, 01:40 PM
It's funny how people re-writes what happen just to prove their point.

Conley FG% in the series against Spurs: .395

Haters gonna hate...

4>0rings
05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
These interviews overseas are so much better than the dick sucking lip service they give here in the states.

4>0rings
05-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Updates, updates, updates

21_Blessings
05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Spurs done as a contender.

I told him that years ago.

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM

:rolleyes, you just had to fuel the fire around here...thanks

ogait
05-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I've been sick of this guy for years. He has the biggest ego on the team, and he isn't even close to the best player on the team, he's never been. Trade him. He's the most movable piece, it's obvious what needs to be done. If Pop truly is serious about becoming a great defensive team again, trading Parker would make a lot of sense, considering he's the worst defender on the team. Frankly, I have no idea why people are surprised he got lit up by Conley, when I actually sit down and think about it. He's been torched by scrubs many times before, such as Luke Ridnour. Trade him for size/athleticism and try your damnedest to get Dragic, imo.

Further, why is he saying the Spurs are done as a contender? I remember people getting upset when Doug Collins said they couldn't beat Miami if they were clicking... well, this is 10x worse. It gets even worse when you realize the Spurs had the best record in the West and Parker was the main reason they didn't advance. That's an absolutely terrible attitude to have for a team that was the #1 seed in the West. Suddenly they're just going to burn out? No. Fuck that. Trade this joker. Good riddance.

Ye trade him because he has an ego, that makes a lot of sense.

If there's a reason to trade him, it is because he is the only one who has any market value on this team, and because he won't be the leader of this team after Tim and Manu retires. If they chose to do that it will be better now than when he turns 30.

It's clear that this team needs a new approach. Either young talent to develop for the future, or the unlikely scenario of someone who gives us a better chance than Parker now.

I would advocate trading Manu, although he's my favourite player, but what would we get in return?

TJastal
05-18-2011, 01:52 PM
TP is pretty much correct, the grizzlies took it to the spurs in the paint, thanks to Bonner playing 20 minutes every single game, not enough Splitter, and the lack of length at the 2/3/4 and not enough shotblocking. Timmy can't be the sole shotblocking big on the team at his age. And Splitter is a great defensive big man but he is not a pogo stick, he is more of a positional defender. This is why Pop was a fool to resign Bonner and dump Mahinmi, who would have been a great help in this area.

Also, Pop's decision to have the guards run under screens also paved the way for Conley to light it up. That's not really on Parker.

InK
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Dragic and Manu would be an interesting combo to watch, Parker/Blair for Dragic/Scola doesnt sound to bad for the Spurs on paper really and would probably be a decent deal for the Rockets as well if their current rooster wouldnt be such as it is.

elbamba
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't disagree that the Spurs can no longer be considered favorites, but I believe they are still contenders. I am anxious to see what becomes of Neal and Splitter next year.

I also am not against trading TP if it makes the team better. Especially if we could get a lottery pick in the draft.

DJ Mbenga
05-18-2011, 02:07 PM
like his candor. its gonna be tough for them. dice was no big man to help duncan but he was servicable. growing pills wont help blair. if the knicks had a first rounder you could bet they would trade parker to NY but not without that first.

Muser
05-18-2011, 02:09 PM
So far, the basics of the deal seem to be between Orlando Magic, Cleveland, San Antonio, Atlanta, and Minny. Bare with me, this is long, confusing and basic. No where near complete in terms of matching salaries.

Spurs trade: Tony Parker, Richard Jefferson
Hawks trade: Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, Kirk Hinrich, 2012 first rounder
Magic trade: Dwight Howard, Gilbert Arenas, Brandon Bass
Cavs trade: Anderson Varejao, Antwan Jamison, #4 Pick
T-Wolves trade: Kevin Love, Martell Webster, #2 pick

That seems to be the main idea of things. Where everything and everyone ends up is in question, but the main idea of the trade seems to be Kevin Love to Orlando for Dwight. Due to Minny's cap space they would be able to take on Dwight despite not being able to match salaries. Orlando wants the 2nd and 4th round picks on top of Love.

Again, all very confusing and frustrating. This inlcudes several expiring salaries and long term deals. My Hawks source in this tells me they want to shed their long term contracts so it is easier to sell the team within a year or so.

If that goes down wherever the players go it would be one of the biggest trades in NBA history :wow

TimmehC
05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
So far, the basics of the deal seem to be between Orlando Magic, Cleveland, San Antonio, Atlanta, and Minny. Bare with me, this is long, confusing and basic. No where near complete in terms of matching salaries.

That seems to be the main idea of things. Where everything and everyone ends up is in question, but the main idea of the trade seems to be Kevin Love to Orlando for Dwight. Due to Minny's cap space they would be able to take on Dwight despite not being able to match salaries. Orlando wants the 2nd and 4th round picks on top of Love.

Again, all very confusing and frustrating. This inlcudes several expiring salaries and long term deals. My Hawks source in this tells me they want to shed their long term contracts so it is easier to sell the team within a year or so.

Wait, you were serious? WTF.

No way we get Howard, but I'd take Hinrich/Smith/2011 Pick.

Brazil
05-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Will he be traded?
In San Antonio, if someone is going to be traded, I know it will be me. Pop told me they wanted to keep me. It's a business but I don't think they will have given me an extension if their plan was to trade me.

TP always straight to the point, direct answers, no bs.

Yes indeed any major moves will involve TP, he is our only big asset for a trade.

thx Bruno for posting

Texas_Ranger
05-18-2011, 02:14 PM
He said the truth.
Lets just really hope we'll get some 7'3 guy. :rollin

Muser
05-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Smith would be awesome.

Props to Minny too, making the most of Loves good statistical season.

ogait
05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Phila trolling :lol

cantthinkofanything
05-18-2011, 02:19 PM
growing pills wont help blair.

Why wouldn't that help Blair? The number one complaint seems to be about his size. I think Spurs fans would be thrilled if there was some kind of growth pill he could take.

Although the idea of having to face a 7 foot JJ Barrea are pretty scary.

joshdaboss
05-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Dragic and Manu would be an interesting combo to watch, Parker/Blair for Dragic/Scola doesnt sound to bad for the Spurs on paper really and would probably be a decent deal for the Rockets as well if their current rooster wouldnt be such as it is.

They don't even need to trade for Dragic, he's going to be a free agent. He's 6'4", can stretch it to the 3(Parker doesn't have 3 point range) and guard/play multiple positions. I don't see him being much of a dropoff to Parker, especially when you consider Parker's awful defense.

stnick2261
05-18-2011, 02:25 PM
If we do trade Parker/Jefferson... I'd hope it's for some young talent and 2012 draft picks in an effort to reload after Duncan and Manu retire.

...unless it's for some crazy big man to help Duncan win another ring this year

Libri
05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

:wow

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I honestly see no way in hell this trade goes down though. You have 5 different personalities. It is near impossible to make a trade like this go down.

How often do 1 on 1 trades not go down because of a couple assets. As simple thing such as Cleveland wanting George Hill can mess this entire deal up.

And on top of that it would have to go down in almost 1 month...Why would minny trade for Dwight when he would not sign an extension there?

dbestpro
05-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Knowing Pop he'll want Hinrich, Arenas and Webster in return. You never can have enough small guys.

.....and Jamison. You can never have enough old guys.

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Knowing Pop he'll want Hinrich, Arenas and Webster in return. You never can have enough small guys.

:lol, true...Lets have fun with this since there is about 0.5% chance this trade happens.

Spurs would be giving up about 22 mil in contracts and I think would have take back that much (help me out with this please, is this correct?)..

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Wow Phila is an insider and that could be a massive deal!

Spurs are known for liking Smith and Varejao. TP and Hinrich are the only PGs involved so we can think of a swap.

Spurs trade: TP, RJ
spurs would get: Smith, Varejao and Hinrich

lefty
05-18-2011, 02:46 PM

About next year:

Ni, I'm not. I came from a difficult season with some injuries. I only had one year left on my contract. I couldn't take the risk to turn down the 4 years extension and not securing my future.

Will he be traded?

About his year in NBA:

The rest of the press conference was mainly about FNT and the team he owns in France.

In a nutshell, we are fucked

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 02:47 PM

True so I really hope it won't happened this way or we'll get really screwed!

Muser
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Spurs are known for liking Smith and Varejao. TP and Hinrich are the only PGs involved so we can think of a swap.

Not gonna happen, but i'd jizz if it did.

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 02:50 PM

my guess would be Smith,Hinrich, Bass mainly cause they would save some $ and I would prefer Bass over Varajao

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I honestly see no way in hell this trade goes down though. You have 5 different personalities. It is near impossible to make a trade like this go down.

How often do 1 on 1 trades not go down because of a couple assets. As simple thing such as Cleveland wanting George Hill can mess this entire deal up.

What also happens alot with trades like this are that some of these teams will keep talking and sometimes still work out deals on the side without all the extra teams and players.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
There are actually only 4 "all-stars" in this supposed trade: Dwight, Love, Johnson, TP

If Dwight and Love are switching places and Magic wants to get high draft picks, the
Ain pieces could go:

Magic: Love, #2, #4
Hawks: TP
Cavs: Johnson
Wolves: Dwight
Spurs: 3 guys in Varejao, Hinrich, Smith, Webster (as we would be the only team to not get an all star, would make more sense to get better 2nd tier players)

These guys should be players Pop like the most and would improve our defense, PF (as supposed as Tim plays mainly C now) and SF positions we were our main flaws this year and we'll probably go nowhere in the future if we don't correct this!

Bruno
05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Howard to Minny makes no sense at all.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM
my guess would be Smith,Hinrich, Bass mainly cause they would save some $ and I would prefer Bass over Varajao

Player wise I prefer Bass over Varejao but Varejao would make sense for the Spurs as he brings mire size and defense. We are already severly undersized with Blair and Bonner.

We would be able to get the Brazilian twin towers and an all star line up of floppers with Manu, Varejao and Splitter Lol

Brazil
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM

indeed

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:02 PM

True, I don't see how Dwight would agree to go there... Or maybe the Wolves will gamble to lure him next year but the worst scenario is Dwight to be traded to Wolves then signed as a free agent by Lakers next year...

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 03:02 PM

indeed

I dont think anyone has run the trade by Howard yet...:lol

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Well if this historic and massive trade happen so that Dwight can go to Lakers as a free agent in a year or two, I can see Stern pulling the trigger! :rolleyes

Brazil
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
I dont think anyone has run the trade by Howard yet...:lol

yeah why starting to see if the biggest name move makes sense ? :lol

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
True, I don't see how Dwight would agree to go there... Or maybe the Wolves will gamble to lure him next year but the worst scenario is Dwight to be traded to Wolves then signed as a free agent by Lakers next year...

Or maybe the wolves think they could get even more if he is moved again during next season..

portnoy1
05-18-2011, 03:08 PM

About his year in NBA:
In term of being a true point guard and managing games, this is my best season.

Really? So, not being able to get other guys involved and running into the paint trying to score against 3guys is being a true point guard?

TimmehC
05-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Maybe in Kahn's crazy imagination, Rubio finally agrees to come over if Howard is there, and they go on to have a great season(lol), which causes Howard to sign an extension. The guy's not exactly known for his brilliance.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Or maybe the wolves think they could get even more if he is moved again during next season..

for a Lakers package? would be dummy to go from Love to Dwight to Odom/Bynum (injury plagued) but hey it's the Wolves...

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Name one team on the planet that wouldn't trade for Dwight.

I think he means from Dwight's point of view

tp2021
05-18-2011, 03:11 PM

The Orlando Magic.

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 03:12 PM
for a Lakers package? would be dummy to go from Love to Dwight to Odom/Bynum (injury plagued) but hey it's the Wolves...

All I know is if I had dwight howard and I was willing to trade him, you could expect really good offers to come your way. Not a bad barganing chip to have and I am sure the lakers would not be the only team to enter this...

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:12 PM

shit, it's 4 am in China and your trade got me all excited! you should create another trade as we're going away from this initial thread!

Brazil
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Really? So, not being able to get other guys involved and running into the paint trying to score against 3guys is being a true point guard?

never fail to deliver the bads portnoy1 per usual

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 03:14 PM

So seriously phila, are you making this shit up or did you really hear talk of this going on?

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
All I know is if I had dwight howard and I was willing to trade him, you could expect really good offers to come your way. Not a bad barganing chip to have and I am sure the lakers would not be the only team to enter this...

true, but it can also be a disaster nowadays with a Carmelo-like fiasco, in which the player refuses to sign an extension and his team get screwed. But the Nets pulled the trigger and got Deron Williams.

Difference is Nets were desperate and going nowhere. Minny are not going to be a winning team anytime soon but Love is a rising star and they still can get other nice offers straight from him. Just look much of a gamble to me to get Dwight if it's just for 1 year

portnoy1
05-18-2011, 03:17 PM
never fail to deliver the bads portnoy1 per usual
We'll was he true point guard or not brazil? Its obvious to everyone, that he didnt play well. Even Pop called him out. So, its true then. If you dont like that fact that I am saying then say so, but dont try to deny what was obvious.

baseline bum
God, I hope that trade doesn't happen. I love Josh Smith, but the thought of either Hinrich or Hill running the point is awful. If you're going to trade Parker, then you should just blow the team up completely. Unless you somehow get Howard or Love out of it (yeah right, lol).

Bruno

So Minny will trade a shitload of great assets for one year of Howard while they will be average at best during this year? Sorry, but it makes no sense.

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
God, I hope that trade doesn't happen. I love Josh Smith, but the thought of either Hinrich or Hill running the point is awful. If you're going to trade Parker, then you should just blow the team up completely. Unless you somehow get Howard or Love out of it (yeah right, lol).

Not sure what the knock on Hinrich is, he plays D and can stroke it from 3. Smart player and is a pass-first guard, allowing George Hill to play the 2. A lineup of Duncan/Smith/Anderson/Hinrich/Hill would be awesome. Not to mention being able to bring Splitter/Blair/Green/Neal/Manu off the bench would be insane.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM

I agree with you as Hill is really an awful playmaker and I really like TP. But PG position shouldn't be a problem for us initially but TP was really disappointing in the playoffs this year because he can be so much better. So, if it's this TP that we'll see during the next playoffs, I will be willing to trade him for assets to cover our other flaws (SF, PF/C, defense)!

Bruno
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
BTW, don't forget that Parker is saying in the initial post that Pop told him he won't be traded.

Things can change but the most likely scenario is by far Spurs keeping Parker. It somewhat logical because all the realistic Parker trades are at best lateral moves.

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-18-2011, 03:24 PM
BTW, don't forget that Parker is saying in the initial post that Pop told him he won't be traded.

Things can change but the most likely scenario is by far Spurs keeping Parker. It somewhat logical because all the realistic Parker trades are at best lateral moves.

It's not like he would come out and say "yeah I'm probably being traded" even if Pop told him otherwise. If the right deal comes along (current proposal would be perfect) I'm sure things can change.

tp2021

"We'd like to keep you" and "you won't be traded" aren't exactly the same thing. Even though I agree with you that he probably won't be traded.

baseline bum
Not sure what the knock on Hinrich is, he plays D and can stroke it from 3. Smart player and is a pass-first guard, allowing George Hill to play the 2. A lineup of Duncan/Smith/Anderson/Hinrich/Hill would be awesome. Not to mention being able to bring Splitter/Blair/Green/Neal/Manu off the bench would be insane.

Hinrich / Anderson / Hill as 3/5th of a starting lineup would be awful. Hinrich's career has been on a downward spiral since the middle of the decade. The Spurs would just be doing a salary dump. If you're going to salary dump, do it properly and tank for Anthony Davis.

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Hinrich / Anderson / Hill as 3/5th of a starting lineup would be awful. Hinrich's career has been on a downward spiral since the middle of the decade. The Spurs would just be doing a salary dump. If you're going to salary dump, do it properly and tank for Anthony Davis.

So start Manu in place of Hill. I love what little I saw from Anderson this year and think he can step in and play some D while stretching the floor fom Tim/Tiago. Pop would get his stretch 4, the fans get a shotblocker that can play some D, as well as a passing PG that can defend. if the deal was to go down. I just don't feel like Hinrich is that big of a step down from TP. I've been a fan of his game since he was at KU and always appreciate the effort he gives on D and the smart plays he makes

Bruno
05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
It's not like he would come out and say "yeah I'm probably being traded" even if Pop told him otherwise. If the right deal comes along (current proposal would be perfect) I'm sure things can change.

Parker has a whole different talk when he speaks to french medias. He is as straight as you can be about Spurs stuff. If Parker says that Pop told him they want to keep him, it's 99% sure that Pop has effectively said it.

Brazil
05-18-2011, 03:33 PM
We'll was he true point guard or not brazil? Its obvious to everyone, that he didnt play well. Even Pop called him out. So, its true then. If you dont like that fact that I am saying then say so, but dont try to deny what was obvious.

so TP was talking about his RS and you are talking about the Grizz serie

it is just obvious for you portnoy1 only for you.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Haters gonna hate...

You really think TP played well and out played Conley? It's not hate to say TP played horribly when he did. Why are you so sensitive to this all of the sudden when it's legitimate criticism?

Unless you think he played well and the criticism is unfair?

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Parker has a whole different talk when he speaks to french medias. He is as straight as you can be about Spurs stuff. If Parker says that Pop told him they want to keep him, it's 99% sure that Pop has effectively said it.

I agree with you, but he won't be the first coach to tell his player to not be traded and then the player gets traded a few days later. Wasn't Gerald Wallace furious about the coaching staff for this exact same reason when he was traded to the Blazers?

I agree Pop is Pop and his words should mean much more as he's a loyal type of a guy, but you could also sense in TP's interview in French that's he's not naive and knows that NBA is a business! I think he knows well that whatever your coach/gm tells you, nothing is guaranteed and you can be traded in a blink of an eye.

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
true, but it can also be a disaster nowadays with a Carmelo-like fiasco, in which the player refuses to sign an extension and his team get screwed. But the Nets pulled the trigger and got Deron Williams.

Difference is Nets were desperate and going nowhere. Minny are not going to be a winning team anytime soon but Love is a rising star and they still can get other nice offers straight from him. Just look much of a gamble to me to get Dwight if it's just for 1 year

Did Denver get screwed? They look like they did pretty damn well with that trade..

bigfan
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Sounds like a pretty fair assessment by Tony.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
You really think TP played well and out played Conley? It's not hate to say TP played horribly when he did. Why are you so sensitive to this all of the sudden when it's legitimate criticism?

TP was clearly disappointing in the playoffs vs Memphis as we all know that he can be so much better. Problem is not about Conley's FG because Conley shouldn't have been a factor in this series and we all thought that TP would tear him out but he played pretty well overall and Spurs didn't benefit from our supposed "PG advantage".

Bruno
05-18-2011, 03:42 PM

It's sure there is nothing between playing well and playing horribly. Parker didn't played well but he wasn't as horrible as some people say on both ends of the court. The whole "he got destroyed by Conley" thing is just false.

Parker deserves his fair share of criticism for the playoffs. The key word here is fair. You and some other posters aren't fair which put you in the hater category.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Did Denver get screwed? They look like they did pretty damn well with that trade..

I totally agree with you with this!

They got good at the end, but it's just the long process that lasted 2/3 of the regular season in which your best player doesn't give a damn about your team and dictates in which team he wants to play!

It wasn't a sure thing that they wouldn't get screwed at the end, but maybe Nuggets set an example for other franchises like Wolves to get the best player available and roll the dice by trading him for the best package available.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 03:44 PM
It's sure there is nothing between playing well and playing horribly. Parker didn't played well but he wasn't as horrible as some people say on both ends of the court. The whole "he got destroyed by Conley" thing is just false.

Parker deserves his fair share of criticism for the playoffs. The key word here is fair. You and some other posters aren't fair which put you in the hater category.

I agree with you in your assessment as he clearly wasn't horrible nor destroyed by Conley. But I think that DPG is far from being a TP hater and I think that he stated in another thread that TP is his favorite player after Duncan...

Fabbs
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Haters gonna hate...
32% vs OKC.
Of course OKC has a real coach and GM.

Question the foreign as well as spineless San Antone media will never ask:
What happened on the final Memphis offensive play of Game 1 with the Spurs up 98-96? How does Memphis Tony Allen get so wide open for the trey?

Parker saying he upped his point guard mental play this year.....:rolleyes

Bruno
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with you, but he won't be the first coach to tell his player to not be traded and then the player gets traded a few days later. Wasn't Gerald Wallace furious about the coaching staff for this exact same reason when he was traded to the Blazers?

I agree Pop is Pop and his words should mean much more as he's a loyal type of a guy, but you could also sense in TP's interview in French that's he's not naive and knows that NBA is a business! I think he knows well that whatever your coach/gm tells you, nothing is guaranteed and you can be traded in a blink of an eye.

Parker has also player for Pop during 10 years. Their relationship isn't the same than someone who has played for a coach/GM for 6 months.

lefty
05-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Bordel de merde.

jjktkk
05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
32% vs OKC.
Of course OKC has a real coach and GM.

Question the foreign as well as spineless San Antone media will never ask:
What happened on the final Memphis offensive play of Game 1 with the Spurs up 98-96? How does Memphis Tony Allen get so wide open for the trey?

Parker saying he upped his point guard mental play this year.....:rolleyes

Who got his start from from the Spur's "fake coach and gm" . :lol

spurs10
05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
TP isn't going anywhere. What are the chances, and what would it take, to seriously get Varejao, and a decent perimeter defender like Battier?

it's me
05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Tony to the Fakers.... book it.... they need a good PG with speed.... Stern will make it happen.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Parker has also player for Pop during 10 years. Their relationship isn't the same than someone who has played for a coach/GM for 6 months.

I understand but actually I have never bought the "coach/gm told me i won't be traded" thing!

It's like when you're telling your girl that you will love your gf "forever" or saying "I do" at the altar marrying your wife. At this exact moment, yes you feel that the person is the one for you and that you are ready to commit for the rest of your life. It doesn't prevent from bad relationships and divorce!

Even if it's a long term relationship and it lasted at least 10 years, it's still not a good reason enough to stay with your wife if you don't get along or you need to part ways.

As good meaning as Pop told TP that he clearly won't trade him and he stays with the team next year, that doesn't prevent him from considering it and actually pulling the trigger if he receives a trade proposal he can't refuse!

Brazil
05-18-2011, 04:36 PM

That's just my two cents but the fact Conley looked good against the spurs and somehow did outplay TP is a sum of elements and not just TP sucking. He looked good because he played behind a dominant front court that destroyed our interior O and D.

jag
05-18-2011, 04:39 PM

I agree. What they gain in the frontcourt, they lose in the backcourt. Manu can't be depended on to carry the backcourt all year.

elbamba
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM

If the Spurs don't land one of the picks and Love then this doesn't make any sense. As much as I would love to get rid of Jefferson's contract the Spurs would suck with most of those players. If we ended up with Love, Hinrich and the 2012 first rounder, pull the trigger. Anything else and they might as well ask Tim and Manu to retire.

ogait
05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
That's just my two cents but the fact Conley looked good against the spurs and somehow did outplay TP is a sum of elements and not just TP sucking. He looked good because he played behind a dominant front court that destroyed our interior O and D.

Agree. Ppl will look at some particular games where TP didn't do so well and Conley hit some lucky shots because the Spurs game plan was to let him shoot anyway, and conclude that he was severely outplayed but that wasn't the case.

In fact just by looking at the stats it's almost moronic to say that.

TP: 36,8 mpg, 19,7 ppg, 46,2 fg%, 5,2 ass, 1,3 stl.
MC: 38,3 mpg, 14,3 ppg, 39,5 fg%, 6,2 ass, 0,8 stl.

Yes a Parker at his best should have completely dominated that match averaging something like 25 and 8 but when everyone in your team except Manu is being outplayed by his counterpart on the other team that makes him the focus and easier to shut down.

Manu and TP were the only ones playing at a level at least close from the championship years. Tim is miles away and the role players even more.

Budkin
05-18-2011, 05:06 PM

This. If he thinks he can't win in Orlando, why the hell would he want to go to a cellar dweller, especially since they won't have Kevin Love anymore.

baseline bum
05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
This. If he thinks he can't win in Orlando, why the hell would he want to go to a cellar dweller, especially since they won't have Kevin Love anymore.

Minnesota would still have Beasley, Johnson, and Rubio, which is more than Orlando can boast. It would still shock me to see Howard sign off on the deal by extending though.

4>0rings
05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Minny does love point guards, maybe they want TP? :)

ElNono
05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks Bruno for the translation

TD 21
05-18-2011, 05:32 PM
So Minny will trade a shitload of great assets for one year of Howard while they will be average at best during this year? Sorry, but it makes no sense.

Exactly.

No chance the Timberwolves give up Love and the 2nd pick for Howard, who would definitely leave them after next season. If there's a (supposedly) good chance he doesn't stay in Orlando, then there's a zero percent chance he stays in Minnesota.

Smith, I could see the Spurs looking into him, but I doubt they actually acquire him. Varejao is probably most likely, if they trade for a big. Short of that, I could see them taking a flier on a guy like Clark.

As far as Parker's comments, he first says they're done as contenders, then says they could be in the Mavs' position had they got the right match-up. Which one is it?

ogait
05-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Exactly.
As far as Parker's comments, he first says they're done as contenders, then says they could be in the Mavs' position had they got the right match-up. Which one is it?

One year is a big difference when your best players are 35 and amost 34.

Hoops Czar
05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Exactly.

He said they are done as contenders because he felt this was the last year they could win a championship in a league chalk full of young, up and coming talent. Realistically, the Spurs had their shot and blew it.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Where to start....

1) Someone disagreeing with your assessment doesn't make them a hater. That would be like me calling you a TP nut-hugger because you don't agree with me and always try and stick up for him and everything he says.

You can't call someone a "hater" when their body of posts doesn't indicate that. When someone is very "fair" all the time and then outlines a position about their favorite player they see as a harsh truth, it doesn't make them a hater. At all. That is you being sensitive.

2) Fair share? So does that mean that everyone deserves equal blame? Or do some people deserve more blame than others? I never said that he is the only person to blame, but every team has someone who gets the majority of the blame because ultimately it comes down to your best players. Like it or not, it's how this works.

When I evaluate how a player did, I look not just at the numbers but the situation. You also look at expectations. The harsh reality is that the Spurs lost to an inferior team. In fact, they got upset in one of the more dramatic fashions in NBA history.

Within that, this team is comprised of a big 3 who get all the credit when they win, and with that, comes all the blame when they lose (overall and rightly so). The fact is the team went away from Tim over the past couple of years and became more Manu's and TP's. This is something they wanted. The fact is that when looking at the Grizz we knew a couple things: 1) Tim by far had the hardest match up on both ends. 2) Manu was injured and had probably the second hardest match up with all of the wing defenders they can throw at him. 3) TP was the youngest of the big 3 and the offense was his this year. He also had the most favorable match up.

The expectations were that it was going to be TP's time to shine anyways because he was the youngest, healthiest and it had been going that way this year. They you look at the match ups and it was TP's time to play great. Not only did he not elevate his game, he played the worst playoff series of his life since he became "TP". This was the biggest moment in his career as far as being the "man" when the Spurs needed him and he didn't step up. Especially early on when they needed him (Manu missing game one). Because of that expectation, in my opinion, TP deserves the blame and I think it's fair. It doesn't mean I hate him. Even if his numbers look "ok" everyone saw that he played so far below his normal level with no injury excuse and the most favorable match up. In these situations when you are clearly the better team and you have guy in Manu who is injured and Tim who is older, guys like TP need to step up and elevate their game (which he normally does), not go backwards. Because of that, TP as the youngest star of the team deserves the majority of the blame.

If everyone deserves their "fair share", then you should be on TP for completely throwing the front line under the bus while at the same time saying "Hey, I just missed some shots and didn't play that well, but it was the front court where we got dominated and we need more help there...". Doesn't seem like he is placing the fair share of blame around either.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Exactly.

No chance the Timberwolves give up Love and the 2nd pick for Howard, who would definitely leave them after next season. If there's a (supposedly) good chance he doesn't stay in Orlando, then there's a zero percent chance he stays in Minnesota.

Smith, I could see the Spurs looking into him, but I doubt they actually acquire him. Varejao is probably most likely, if they trade for a big. Short of that, I could see them taking a flier on a guy like Clark.

I think he knows that even if they were in the WCF, they aren't really contenders to beat who they would have to face in the finals anymore. Just like I have said all year, and Pop recently echoed, they have/had zero margin for error and that only gets worse as the years go on.

ploto
05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I find it most interesting that Tony basically admits that he took the extension since he had been hurt and wanted the security- not so much that he wanted to stay in SA.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
^TP has said numerous times, both before and after his extension that his preference was always to stay in San Antonio. Sure, maybe his injuries and a few other factors played into the final number, but he wanted to be in SA and SA wanted him here.

TD 21
05-18-2011, 05:54 PM
One year is a big difference when your best players are 35 and amost 34.

Theoretically, yes. But I'd be surprised if Duncan and Ginobili significantly drop off next season. I know even a marginal drop off, this team couldn't take, as far as contending goes, but say it is a shortened season, it could actually benefit them. I don't think they're any less likely to contend next season than they were this season.

I'm not crazy about a Varejao trade, but McDyess' partially guaranteed contract, Blair and the 29th pick for him, is a realistic trade (the Spurs would have to add filler to make the salaries work; a third team could be brought in to help facilitate the trade). And if you add Varejao to Duncan and Splitter, you're talking about an elite defensive front line, which has been their biggest weakness the past few seasons. The perimeter firepower would still be intact. I'm not saying that vaults them back into being one of the odds on favorites, but it should improve them and it definitely doesn't make them worse.

DPG, fair enough.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Fact is the Spurs are in one of the hardest spots to be in, in the NBA.

They are "tweeners". Not quite contenders, not quite terrible. No financial wiggle room and long-term contracts on the books.

It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out, but I can see a whole lot of nothing major and the Spurs just being an up and down team with no real shot at a title (like every team but 4 or so) and no real "blow up and rebuild".

DMC
05-18-2011, 06:09 PM
SA has been done as a contender every year for the past 5 years, even before their last ring.

It's just a cyclical thing.

TD 21
05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I take back what I said about them not being any less likely to contend next season. What I meant was, I don't think they'll be any worse a team. In fact, they could be slightly better. The problem is, the Heat, Bulls, Thunder and Grizzlies, are all likely to be better.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Phila, just so you know, something like TP/RJ/Hill for Joe/Smith works in your scenario to give an idea of the type of money.

But to also put that in perspective, it would be an additional 50M+ over the next 4 years or so for that trade.

While Joe is clearly better than TP from a talent perspective and Josh is 10x better than RJ, that is a ridic amount of money and no way the Spurs do something like that. If it was me not caring about money, then sure, those two would make the Spurs better short-term, but that isn't how it works in the NBA.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Everyone has said that the Spurs have been done as contenders for the past few years.

I guess hearing Tony say it is the shocking thing?

Bruno
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
1) Someone disagreeing with your assessment doesn't make them a hater.

The problem is not with disagreeing. The problem is with being excessive.
Saying "Conley tore him up" is excessive and false. It isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of facts. Like it or not but being excessive makes you a hater.

If everyone deserves their "fair share", then you should be on TP for completely throwing the front line under the bus while at the same time saying "Hey, I just missed some shots and didn't play that well, but it was the front court where we got dominated and we need more help there...". Doesn't seem like he is placing the fair share of blame around either.

Parker isn't throwing the front line under the bus. He is throwing the front office under the bus for failing to built a good front line. There is a huge difference between putting the loss on a player like you do with Parker and saying that this team has some huge weaknesses in the way the roster is built.

yavozerb
05-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Putting exact numbers aside, and the fact that the Hawks want to shed salary, would the Spurs trade Tony and RJ fro Josh Smith and Joe Johnson? That's a lot of money to take on, but it does amp up the team with a high energy and athletic forward on top of a dynamic scorer in Johnson. Then go after a point in FA.

JJ and JS are both owed 30 mil next season..With the departure of TP and RJ the spurs would save 21 mil. If the spurs got word that TD opt out of his contract to maybe 10 mil per year then the spurs would lose no money at all for the coming season. Just a thought

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Saying the front court got dominated while at the same time saying "I just did too little too late" is throwing them under the bus. He didn't say that the front office did them in, he said the front court and that is the players.

I explained why I don't feel it's excessive. You failing to look at all of my posts about TP overall (and not this one thing) and calling me a hater because of this one thing makes you a TP nut-hugger because you are taking one comment that was explained with reasoning and not an over-reaction filled with cursing TP out as me being a TP hater.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Also, in any of my post above did I say "Conley tore up TP"? I said he was outplayed and then elaborated on how based on the situation and expectations and how TP is an elite player, that he deserves the majority of the blame?

Do you think that everyone deserves equal blame? If so, do you think TP is giving out the blame equally by his statements?

Bruno
05-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Webster is hardly an asset. The mix of Love and the number 2 pick is hardly "a shitload of great assets." Kahn has done stupider things-such as drafting back to back point guards, trading Al Jefferson for two first rounders. Kahn had set his team and salary cap up for a trade of this caliber. I've heard that if not for Love's great season (start and overall season) a Kevin Love for Chris Bosh trade almost happened.

As for the risk of Howard leaving, yes I wouldn't make the trade personally. But honestly, the projected line up would be: Flynn/Ellington/Johnson/Beasley/Howard. Not a great line up, but easily the most athletic from 1 to 5. Nor is it the deepest honestly, but sometimes you have to take risks.

Capspace, Love and Derrick Williams are great assets. Trading that for something that could only be an one year rental of Howard is a little crazy. Now, as you said, Kahn can always do something stupid...

Don't get me wrong, I don't imply that you're making up stuffs but I think that there is nothing serious behind what your source told you.

dbestpro
05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Putting exact numbers aside, and the fact that the Hawks want to shed salary, would the Spurs trade Tony and RJ fro Josh Smith and Joe Johnson? That's a lot of money to take on, but it does amp up the team with a high energy and athletic forward on top of a dynamic scorer in Johnson. Then go after a point in FA.

Taking the contracts of Parker and RJ is not exactly shedding salary.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Others have said it, but renting Howard for one season makes no sense. I don't think even http://th894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/Misc%20Stuff/th_kirk-yelling-at-kahn.jpg is that stupid.

ogait
05-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I take back what I said about them not being any less likely to contend next season. What I meant was, I don't think they'll be any worse a team. In fact, they could be slightly better. The problem is, the Heat, Bulls, Thunder and Grizzlies, are all likely to be better.

Exactly. That's why I'm not opposed for a TP trade, that can make us better as far as championship contention( very unlikely) or better for the post Manu/Duncan retirement.

Budkin
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Reading this thread just makes me sick again about how the season ended. Fuck.

Bruno
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Saying the front court got dominated while at the same time saying "I just did too little too late" is throwing them under the bus. He didn't say that the front office did them in, he said the front court and that is the players.

What do you think is the most realist:
Parker blaming Bonner or Blair for not being able to stop Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph?
Parker blaming Spurs' FO for having only Bonner or Blair to put agaisnt them?

Can you be a little serious for a second?

I explained why I don't feel it's excessive. You failing to look at all of my posts about TP overall (and not this one thing) and calling me a hater because of this one thing makes you a TP nut-hugger because you are taking one comment that was explained with reasoning and not an over-reaction filled with cursing TP out as me being a TP hater.

I certainly won't look at all the posts you've made about Parker. And don't take the word hater as some kind of insults. I just think you are too harsh on Parker performance against Memphis.

Also, in any of my post above did I say "Conley tore up TP"? I said he was outplayed and then elaborated on how based on the situation and expectations and how TP is an elite player, that he deserves the majority of the blame?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5245616&postcount=392

Do you think that everyone deserves equal blame? If so, do you think TP is giving out the blame equally by his statements?

A player doesn't deserve a lot of blame when he is trying. Parker was trying but was bad in the first 3 games. Duncan and Dice were trying but they were old. Bonner was trying but he is just damn limited.
Among players, Blair for not being able to stay in shape and RJ for not trying deserves the most blame.
Pop and the front office deserves tons of blame for all the mistake they made. I consider that being a good GM or a good coach is way easier than being a good player.

TD 21
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Exactly. That's why I'm not opposed for a TP trade, that can make us better as far as championship contention( very unlikely) or better for the post Manu/Duncan retirement.

I'm not opposed to it, if it makes the Spurs better either now or in the future. A lot of the realistic trades I see don't accomplish either. They're just lateral moves.

Bruno, age is the obvious culprit, when it comes to Duncan and McDyess vs Gasol and Randolph. But what's been obscured, because of that, is the strength factor. Gasol (despite his 265 listing), has got to be about 280 and Randolph is 260. Duncan is generously listed at 255 and McDyess is 245. Duncan was also giving up two inches to Gasol. In other words, they were physically overwhelmed and they would have been whether they were young or old. The difference is, on the other end, Duncan would have destroyed Gasol in his prime.

Spurs da champs
05-18-2011, 07:34 PM
TD21 Tim and Gasol were basically the same height. It had everything too do with his age and him losing a lot of weight. He should of stayed the weight he was from 2008 tbh.

JonNOKC
05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Still not sure if Phila is trolling us or not - BUT if you were doing this trade Smith/Johnson - TP/RJ and include Dice money works - but I would be tempted to try and get 1 more piece/pick in deal for taking back that much money - also a deal like this I would think would have to go down before new CBA/lockout

Also with Johnson/Manu wouldn't necessarily have to have true PG - even if you couldn't land the FA PG you wanted you could go with Hill as starter and draft PG in 2nd round or use Neal in some matchups

Johnson would be huge in allowing Pop to really manage Manu's minutes/burden even more than this season

TD 21
05-18-2011, 07:50 PM
TD21 Tim and Gasol were basically the same height. It had everything too do with his age and him losing a lot of weight. He should of stayed the weight he was from 2008 tbh.

Gasol is 7-1; Duncan is 6-11. It was partially age, partially size and strength. I went into detail about this not too long ago, so I'm not going to re-hash it all. But basically, despite his style, Duncan is not a true center. He's around the same size as Garnett and Nowitzki; he's not O'Neal. Asking him to be the primary defender against Bynum, Gasol, etc., is foolish. He'd be best served defending the four or five depending on match-up. Starting Splitter next to him should allow for that (presuming he get's stronger).

Spurs da champs
05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Gasol is 7-1; Duncan is 6-11. It was partially age, partially size and strength. I went into detail about this not too long ago, so I'm not going to re-hash it all. But basically, despite his style, Duncan is not a true center. He's around the same size as Garnett and Nowitzki; he's not O'Neal. Asking him to be the primary defender against Bynum, Gasol, etc., is foolish. He'd be best served defending the four or five depending on match-up. Starting Splitter next to him should allow for that (presuming he get's stronger).

lol I'm just going to agree to disagree we've been over this before.

Their was a 1 inch max height difference at most.

Duncan especially in the later half of his career can guard centers. He knows he wont be the same player which is why I don't understand why he lost all that weight.

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
What do you think is the most realist:
Parker blaming Bonner or Blair for not being able to stop Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph?
Parker blaming Spurs' FO for having only Bonner or Blair to put agaisnt them?

Can you be a little serious for a second?

I am being serious. I think that TP is most certainly saying to a certain degree "it's not really on me, it's on other parts of the team, namely the front line".

Regardless of whether or not you think it's aimed at the players or the front office, my point was that TP doesn't seem to be giving fair blame to himself.

I certainly won't look at all the posts you've made about Parker. And don't take the word hater as some kind of insults. I just think you are too harsh on Parker performance against Memphis.

You don't have to look at all the posts I have made. You have seen me post long enough and even my other posts in this thread alone should tip you off.

Hater is an insult. The word implies that you irrationally hate a player for no real reason and get mad at his success and cherish his failures. That's not the case.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5245616&postcount=392

I did say tore up and I didn't really remember saying it, or at least meaning it in the way you are looking at it (meaning comparing the stats of him and Conley).

I explained why I put the majority of the blame on TP. The fact is the numbers shouldn't have been close between him and Conley. While Conley didn't score efficiently, he hit much more timely shots, bigger shots and ran his team much better than TP did.

It's not about the stats overall. It's about the fact TP is the youngest member of the big 3, he was the most healthy, had the most favorable match up and for no excuse he had the worst playoff performance since he became "TP" when the Spurs needed him most. It was his team (at least the offense).

A player doesn't deserve a lot of blame when he is trying. Parker was trying but was bad in the first 3 games. Duncan and Dice were trying but they were old. Bonner was trying but he is just damn limited.
Among players, Blair for not being able to stay in shape and RJ for not trying deserves the most blame.
Pop and the front office deserves tons of blame for all the mistake they made. I consider that being a good GM or a good coach is way easier than being a good player.

A lot of people try, but trying is not doing. TP isn't Bonner. He isn't limited like him. He has never played like that before. He flat out played poor in a time when the team couldn't afford it and that is why I think he gets the blame from me. If you look at his numbers in a bubble he didn't play "terrible", but considering the moment and what happened, he did.

The front office is the same front office that had them win 60+ games. Losses on are players, especially ones that really under perform. This is also the same front office that managed minutes more than any other team in the league. No matter what you say about the front office (which I agree they made a lot of mistakes) there is no way this team, even with all of their shortcomings should have lost to a marginally talented Griz team.

Again, there are a lot of things that went wrong and it's not all TP's fault, but I put the blame on the best players mostly and TP was supposed to be the man this series because the Spurs needed it.

ohmwrecker
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I can see TP's point about the frontline . . . if they are letting the Grizzlies clog the paint, that takes away the area where Parker is most effective. His penetration game was taken away in the series and that is on the post players not being able to pull out the defense. Where TP is to blame is his inability to keep the defense honest by hitting his jumpshots. If TP's midrange game was on, the lane would have opened up for him a little.

outmap
05-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Yao Ming is a Free Agent. :wakeup

Hemotivo
05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
About his year in NBA:

this is true

until the playoffs he was really great

diego
05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
all I will say is that if Pop played manu in game 1 and parker played closer to his regular season (ie, better FG% and more assists/less turnovers; how many times did tony get stuffed / throw it out of bounds this series?), the spurs beat memphis. It seems we only had one game where more than 1.5 of the big 3 had good games.

discussing conley is rather irrelevant, he never has and never will be a determining player.

as far as the blame, I agree Pop and the FO get the most. Blair and RJ deserve their share too, but they are not stars like Parker. In 09, on an even worse spurs team, TP was magnificent. Unfortunately it seems that TP's 09 playoffs were a flash in the pan caused by favorable matchups.

Admidave50
05-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Reading this thread just makes me sick again about how the season ended. Fuck.

Definitely, instead of cheering for our Spurs in front of the tv for the WCF here we are discussing what if TP gets traded...

DPG21920
05-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't see any realistic scenarios where TP gets moved to be honest, unless it's some crazy weird trade where you can't say no.

Teams that want TP: More than likely contenders that need a PG

What the Spurs would want: Cap space, young talent, solid draft pick(s)

Teams that meet those criteria: ???

05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
i remember discussing the merits of a parker for smith trade some time in the past. i didn't like it back then and i still don't. smith has got to have some of the worst shot selection in the league. but if the spurs can get rid of jefferson...i just can't say no.

Russo21
05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Well if that's what Tony thinks then the FO should just ship him out. No point having someone making over 13 million on the roster who doesn't believe we can win. George Hill can take over PG duties if we can't get a PG in free agency and we can trade Tony and his 13.5 million dollar contract for a descent 7 footer. Ship Jefferson and his 8.4 million dollar contract for a long defensive minded SF who can nail the open 3 ball and we are right back in the hunt. Doesn't make sense keeping Tony on board if he doesn't belive we can win.

Russo21
05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Let's go Tall Ball

Parker, Jefferson and Antonio's expiring

to the Lakers for

Gasol and Odom

Parker get's the bright lights of Hollywood and LA gets an all star PG and RJ and cash from Antonio's retirement

Spurs can run out a starting lineup of

Gasol
Timmy
Odom
Manu
Hill/insert free agent PG

Kobe is unhappy with Gasol even though he helped him win 2 championships so i duno how that will play out for LA. And Tony doesn't believe the Spurs can win.

Do it RC

(PS: i know it isn't gonna happen)

Cessation
05-18-2011, 10:41 PM
It wasn't the backcourt that lost the series, it was our shit frontline, which made the guards look worse than they were. TP was alright, if he played like he did and the bigs held their own, spurs would have won. The root of the problem is the fo, saddling the spurs with blair/bonner, overplaying 100 year old dice, and not developing splitter through out the seaon. Putting the the lion's share of the blame in tp, is ridiculous.

Russo21
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Exactly why the LA trade would work for us :)

NewJerSpur
05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, the media may not count the Spurs as contenders given the results of this year, but guys like Neal, Splitter, Anderson (if we see the same JA that started the year), whatever we get in the draft and get from a trade of Dice's contract/RJ and possibly even Ryan Richards will tell the tale imo.

itzsoweezee
05-19-2011, 12:03 AM
everything he said was on point.

edgar
05-19-2011, 01:02 AM
I like Josh Smith!

TD 21
05-19-2011, 01:17 AM
lol I'm just going to agree to disagree we've been over this before.

Their was a 1 inch max height difference at most.

Duncan especially in the later half of his career can guard centers. He knows he wont be the same player which is why I don't understand why he lost all that weight.

He can and in a lot of cases, it's better for him to guard the center, as opposed to the power forward. But in certain match-ups, he should be guarding the power forward.

He lost weight because in the second half of 08-09, his knee tendinosis was acting up, so the more he weighed, the more stress was put on his knees. The last two seasons, he's claimed he's felt better.

DJ Mbenga
05-19-2011, 01:30 AM
possible trades? paker for billups would be a tough pill to swallow since they want to use that expiring for cp3. clips already have mo williams so a kaman trade inst happening. i think thats about it

Ditty
05-19-2011, 01:48 AM
I heard Minny is trying to trade there 2nd pick for veteran help

Parker for Flynn and the number 2 pick and draft Williams

baseline bum
05-19-2011, 01:58 AM
I heard Minny is trying to trade there 2nd pick for veteran help

Parker for Flynn and the number 2 pick and draft Williams

The Spurs aren't blowing the team up.

mountainballer
05-19-2011, 03:18 AM
to me this interview sounds a little bit like: "I know Pop wouldn't trade me, but I wouldn't be offended if they think about it". it's not that he demands a trade, but it's also a bit different to the "I wish not to get traded, after all that I have done for this team".
Tony knows he is the only asset the Spurs can use in a premium trade. be it to start the rebuilding process, be it to get the team one more shot by trying to bring in a quality big man for him.
I think Tony wouldn't mind to spend the last 3 good years of his career on a contender and/or a more fancy place like LA or NY.

NY might even be a very interesting option, when thinking about a restart scenario. let's guess the Knicks do want Tony.
I'm not totally sure if this would work that way, but the contract of Billups is only 3.7 million guaranteed next season, if he is waived within 5 days after season end. a package of Tony+RJ for Billups+Turiaf+Douglas+Fields works.
if the Spurs waive Billups, they save more than 60 million $ in that move.
they get back two decent talents in Douglas and Fields, not star material, but very useful role player. Douglas might be a copy of Hill, but any team can use more than one player of the kind.
in 2012 the Spurs would be far under the cap (depending on new signings and the new CBA it could be about 25 million $), they might have a good pick 2012 (even a lottery pick?), which will be a far better draft class than this year.
Hill-Douglas-Neal-Anderson-Fields-Blair-Splitter....this lacks star power, but it looks like a very nice pool of decent NBA talent for a future team. the star needs to be found via draft or FA. not easy, but not impossible.

ps. I also call the Howard to Minny trade BS.

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 07:31 AM
I just want to say...I love TP and want him to stay a Spur unless the perfect trade comes along. With that said...he played awful the first 4 or so games. People are saying "his numbers weren't way off". Go back and watch game 3 where he could not bring the fucking ball up the court without misdribbling it or getting it knocked away. He was freakin Beno all over again and he's been playing for 10 years! Or game 4 where his shot came back but he had 7 turnovers and 1 assist.

Good TP showed up in game 5 and 6 but if he had played like the TP since 2006 the entire series, we woulda won the series.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I just want to say...I love TP and want him to stay a Spur unless the perfect trade comes along. With that said...he played awful the first 4 or so games. People are saying "his numbers weren't way off". Go back and watch game 3 where he could not bring the fucking ball up the court without misdribbling it or getting it knocked away. He was freakin Beno all over again and he's been playing for 10 years! Or game 4 where his shot came back but he had 7 turnovers and 1 assist.

Good TP showed up in game 5 and 6 but if he had played like the TP since 2006 the entire series, we woulda won the series.

I think some of you are delusional to think the Grizz was not the better team. I'm sorry they are, there are no excuses, 0. It's not like they have been exposed and swept by OKC, they gave 7 games effort on round 2. If they stick together and continue to be serious and unite, next year with Gay, they are going to be scary good.

Randolph has been the superstar of the serie, an effort ala Tim dominant Duncan.

DPG thought it was TP time to shine like TP could be a franchise player capable to dominate a serie against a good team (the Grizz are not an #8 seed) with a dominant big. I always said he is not this kind of player which is fine because his salary is not a super star salary. He is a role player a damn good role player but still a role player like, Manu BTW. Our franchise 20 MUSD player is Tim Duncan and Tim cannot do it anymore. Thats all, no need to go through if, if, if

hater
05-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I think some of you are delusional to think the Grizz was not the better team. I'm sorry they are, there are no excuses, 0. It's not like they have been exposed and swept by OKC, they gave 7 games effort on round 2. If they stick together and continue to be serious and unite, next year with Gay, they are going to be scary good.

Randolph has been the superstar of the serie, an effort ala Tim dominant Duncan.

DPG thought it was TP time to shine like TP could be a franchise player capable to dominate a serie against a good team (the Grizz are not an #8 seed) with a dominant big. I always said he is not this kind of player which is fine because his salary is not a super star salary. He is a role player a damn good role player but still a role player like, Manu BTW. Our franchise 20 MUSD player is Tim Duncan and Tim cannot do it anymore. Thats all, no need to go through if, if, if

I think you are delusional on TP's shitty play impact on the series. He was complete shit the first 4 games. And the game he was needed most, game 1 he shot a pathetic 25%. He really laid an egg and is the main reason along with Dick Jefferson that the Spurs were done.

Regardless of the Memphis bigs if regular season Parker had showed up we would have won this series easily.

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Why did you quote me? I never said anything about this shit. I think the Spurs are a better team but memphis played much better and harder and tougher than us. I still stand by the idea that if Parker played better in games 1, 3 , or 4, we woulda won at least one of those games. Game 3...my god, thats the first time in 10 years that I've been worried when Tony brought the ball up the court.

I also think he carried us in game 5's ot so its not like I'm needlessly trashing him.

Interrohater
05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Trade him. I'm a Parker fan but he does seem like a prima donna. The biggest thing to me, though, is that teams have won championships with inferior point guards, as evidenced by the last few. We don't need an all-star point, we just need a capable distributor that can hit a mid range jumper and run the pick and roll. If we can get a couple of valuable pieces for TP, why not do it? We've had TP and it's obvious that he's a great player, but our weaknesses are elsewhere.

Then again, what would our team look like without the slash and kick out that we've seen for so long?

Brazil
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
I think you are delusional on TP's shitty play impact on the series. He was complete shit the first 4 games. And the game he was needed most, game 1 he shot a pathetic 25%. He really laid an egg and is the main reason along with Dick Jefferson that the Spurs were done.

Regardless of the Memphis bigs if regular season Parker had showed up we would have won this series easily.

where did I say TP played good this serie ? TP sucked this serie, he has been dominated by MC. I just stated TP sucking is a sum of elements and not just TP struggling with his own game and one of these elements is Memphis frontcourt destroyed us in O and D.

if RS Parker had showed up ? what does that mean ? I'm not sure but I think his performances against Grizz were not stellar either.

wake up this Grizz team is better than us: stronger, faster, younger, hungrier, better coached... only teams we could have beat in first round: hornets and denver.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Why did you quote me? I never said anything about this shit. I think the Spurs are a better team but memphis played much better and harder and tougher than us. I still stand by the idea that if Parker played better in games 1, 3 , or 4, we woulda won at least one of those games. Game 3...my god, thats the first time in 10 years that I've been worried when Tony brought the ball up the court.

I also think he carried us in game 5's ot so its not like I'm needlessly trashing him.

see? this is why I quote you. No the spurs are not the better team. Our backcourt has been dominated, our frontcourt has been dominated, our coach has been dominated... what other proof do you need?

With this plan game, this rotation, this mileage, this coach, these players but everybody healthy (no manu issue, TP not head in a bag) the Grizz still beat us.

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
see? this is why I quote you. No the spurs are not the better team. Our backcourt has been dominated, our frontcourt has been dominated, our coach has been dominated... what other proof do you need?

With this plan game, this rotation, this mileage, this coach, these players but everybody healthy (no manu issue, TP not head in a bag) the Grizz still beat us.

Well you quoted me before I said anything like that...

But I disagree with you...I think the Spurs proved they are a better team in the regular season. BUT, memphis was physically tougher, mentally tougher, more confident, played more loose, played more physical, (basically every possible intangible) in the playoffs. The Spurs inexplicably tightened up like crazy and didn't play sharp or confident at all. This is why they beat the us. I think if we had gotten 1 good game out of Parker out of games 1 or 3, we would have won the game, our confidence would come back and Memphis would actually have a reason to be on their heels.

rjv
05-19-2011, 10:48 AM

if manu had been available for game 1 we would have won the series

yavozerb
05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
if manu had been available for game 1 we would have won the series

The fact is the spurs still lost 3 games with Manu playing, not so sure I would be so confident about that comment rjv..

rmt
05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
TP was beyond atrocious until game 4 - so bad that for the first time I thought he couldn't bring the ball up the court - he was so far off his "usual" self. It's almost like MEM's defense stymied/confused him and when he couldn't penetrate, his confidence was shot.

Combined with TP's poor play, the major reason why SA lost is that they were dominated in the paint. This is mostly Pop's fault for thinking that Bonner/Blair/Dice was enough and not integrating Splitter. TD held his own for the first 3 games and after that I thought he resigned himself to losing (I won't say - "gave up" but things weren't looking good with TP's play and Manu's injury).

Overall, MEM played above their standard and SA played below theirs. I don't think TP should be traded - can't get enough value and TP can carry the offensive load in the regular season. I love the idea of Varejao for Dice, Blair and 1st round pick. Integrate Splitter, develop Anderson and emphasize defense next year.

DrSteffo
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Parker is not my favourite player but he is the youngest of the big 3. If we trade him we need to get another PG and will not get anyone as good. And we will have two aging stars. I guess we will do close to nothing and be slightly worse next season.

ducks
05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
manu a star Please

Mel_13
05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
to me this interview sounds a little bit like: "I know Pop wouldn't trade me, but I wouldn't be offended if they think about it". it's not that he demands a trade, but it's also a bit different to the "I wish not to get traded, after all that I have done for this team".
Tony knows he is the only asset the Spurs can use in a premium trade. be it to start the rebuilding process, be it to get the team one more shot by trying to bring in a quality big man for him.
I think Tony wouldn't mind to spend the last 3 good years of his career on a contender and/or a more fancy place like LA or NY.

NY might even be a very interesting option, when thinking about a restart scenario. let's guess the Knicks do want Tony.
I'm not totally sure if this would work that way, but the contract of Billups is only 3.7 million guaranteed next season, if he is waived within 5 days after season end. a package of Tony+RJ for Billups+Turiaf+Douglas+Fields works.
if the Spurs waive Billups, they save more than 60 million $ in that move.
they get back two decent talents in Douglas and Fields, not star material, but very useful role player. Douglas might be a copy of Hill, but any team can use more than one player of the kind.
in 2012 the Spurs would be far under the cap (depending on new signings and the new CBA it could be about 25 million $), they might have a good pick 2012 (even a lottery pick?), which will be a far better draft class than this year.
Hill-Douglas-Neal-Anderson-Fields-Blair-Splitter....this lacks star power, but it looks like a very nice pool of decent NBA talent for a future team. the star needs to be found via draft or FA. not easy, but not impossible.

ps. I also call the Howard to Minny trade BS.

Knicks have picked up Chauncey's option, so he's on the payroll for the full 14.2M, the five day deadline was from the end of New York's season, not the NBA season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/sports/basketball/28knicks.html

They picked up his option so that they will have a large enough contract to trade at the deadline for Howard or Paul. If they can't get one of those two, they may look at Parker at that time and even be willing to eat RJ's deal, but they're not doing that trade before June 30th.

Mel_13
05-19-2011, 11:11 AM
manu a star Please

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/110203_reserves.html

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ginobili_allnba_110512

rjv
05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
The fact is the spurs still lost 3 games with Manu playing, not so sure I would be so confident about that comment rjv..

they lost 3 road games. with manu they win game 1 and take it to 7. the grizz were not going to win a game 7 on the road.

i have no less reason to feign confidence than you in this regard. it's purely subjective either way, with no substantial quantitative difference.

DrSteffo
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
So do you guys think Manu and Duncan will get better next season?

ducks
05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
So do you guys think Manu and Duncan will get better next season?

manu should play 20 minutes a game to the allstar break
duncan and splitter should play together 20 minutes a game

DrSteffo
05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Yes ducks but of those three only Splitter should be a better player in the POs next season. I'm not saying let's blow up this team I'm just saying we are not really contenders with this team.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Well you quoted me before I said anything like that...

no previous to that you said we woulda won the series, so you do think spurs is the better team well I don't.

But I disagree with you...I think the Spurs proved they are a better team in the regular season. BUT, memphis was physically tougher, mentally tougher, more confident, played more loose, played more physical, (basically every possible intangible) in the playoffs. The Spurs inexplicably tightened up like crazy and didn't play sharp or confident at all. This is why they beat the us. I think if we had gotten 1 good game out of Parker out of games 1 or 3, we would have won the game, our confidence would come back and Memphis would actually have a reason to be on their heels.

The bold part is useless, who cares if the spurs was the better team in the RS ? only counts POs and once again we didn't dominate the Grizzlies in the RS.

We lost confidence because Gasol scored more than 20 pts against us with 70% FG (In 80 RS games he scored more than 20 pts twice :lol), because Randolph scored at will, because they outplayed from 1 to 5... and for that we have no excuses neither TP or Manu not playing or playing injured.

Anyway thats useless debate look at the POs (a team like Chicago will just embarass us, asik in our team would be immediately our second best big, Kurt too BTW) right now we don't belong there anymore.

Blame who the fuck you want for that, I blame the coaching staff for relying on Bonner BS, for letting Blair becoming a fat ass, for not trying to develop Tiago, for not kicking every damn minute RJ ass, for abandonning D.

Mhak
05-19-2011, 12:39 PM
no previous to that you said we woulda won the series, so you do think spurs is the better team well I don't.

Anyway thats useless debate look at the POs (a team like Chicago will just embarass us, asik in our team would be immediately our second best big, Kurt too BTW) right now we don't belong there anymore.

Blame who the fuck you want for that, I blame the coaching staff for relying on Bonner BS, for letting Blair becoming a fat ass, for not trying to develop Tiago, for not kicking every damn minute RJ ass, for abandonning D.

This:toast

Killakobe81
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
LOL Parker calling out OKC and Dallas ...

I don't think the spurs are done as contenders, but the word is relative. Like I said all season, tough to see how adding Neal and Splitter (who barely played) would vault the Spurs from a sweep at the hand of the suns to a title contender in one year. That is NOT impossible, but highly improbable. Western contender they still are, title contender no they are not.

Lakers face similar issues. I am not saying Lakers or spurs need to blow up their teams, but if there is not a key team shifting type addition, neither one will be "ringing" come next June (if we have a season) ...and for teams with Duncan and Kobe, that is all that matters. Both teams could win 50 easy maybe go one round further than this year ..but if they aint winning it all with duncan and kobe aging ...does it matter?

Saving grace for Lakers they are only 1 year removed from a title while spurs are 4 ... but Lakers could be in the sameboat as spurs in two years if they just standby while the core ages ...

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 01:20 PM

The bold part is useless, who cares if the spurs was the better team in the RS ? only counts POs and once again we didn't dominate the Grizzlies in the RS.

We lost confidence because Gasol scored more than 20 pts against us with 70% FG (In 80 RS games he scored more than 20 pts twice :lol), because Randolph scored at will, because they outplayed from 1 to 5... and for that we have no excuses neither TP or Manu not playing or playing injured.

I don't necessarily think the best team wins every 7 game series. I think we were better than Dallas in 06, Detroit was better than us in 05, Boston was better than LA last year, Dallas was better than GS in 07...etc. I think the Spurs were better than Memphis this year. I think if Parker played like Parker can, we win games 1 or 3 and take some of their swagger away. Memphis was riding high because they were crazy confident, huge inside, and our team played like pussies.

And Pop not playing Splitter.

Sean Cagney
05-19-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't necessarily think the best team wins every 7 game series. I think we were better than Dallas in 06, Detroit was better than us in 05, Boston was better than LA last year, Dallas was better than GS in 07...etc. I think the Spurs were better than Memphis this year. I think if Parker played like Parker can, we win games 1 or 3 and take some of their swagger away. Memphis was riding high because they were crazy confident, huge inside, and our team played like pussies.

Game one basicallly was the series, if Memphis blows that late 7 pt lead they had the Spurs get that game one and their confidence takes a hit with Manu coming back for game two. Game one did the Spurs in, believe that.

cheguevara
05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Parker has peaked a couple of years ago and is going downhill. Homers might blindly disagree but that is the plain truth.

So the excuse not to trade paker cause he is the youngest of the big 3 is pretty erroneous.

ducks
05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
parker peak lol
I do not think he even has peaked yet

cheguevara
05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
parker peak lol

:rolleyes

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
parker peak lol

Yes, he'll probably peak in a few years once he has lost another step.
I bet he learns to compensate for this by becoming a deadly 3 point shooter. Also, I'm sure he will learn to see the floor better and become a 10+ assist guy. He may even develop a low post game so he can post up the smaller points in the league.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM

You are talking about the Grizz like they earned confidence soon and ride on that to overachieve till the end against the spurs. If true OKC would have destroyed them. Fact is they played the exact same bb against OKC, they did nothing against the spurs they didn't repeat against OKC. This was not a fluke serie.

The games were not as close as scoreboard indicate, we needed miracles to win game 5.

Your logic is flawed unless you also consider the spurs are better than OKC too.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, he'll probably peak in a few years once he has lost another step.
I bet he learns to compensate for this by becoming a deadly 3 point shooter. Also, I'm sure he will learn to see the floor better and become a 10+ assist guy. He may even develop a low post game so he can post up the smaller points in the league.

I do agree TP already reached somehow his pick. Dude is playing pro bb since he is 17 years old, he is playing for the spurs for 10 years. In his rookie season he averaged 30 mn per game at 20 years old. Thats a lot of mileage 750 RS games and 130 POs games

Interrohater
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I do agree TP already reached somehow his pick. Dude is playing pro bb since he is 17 years old, he is playing for the spurs for 10 years. In his rookie season he averaged 30 mn per game at 20 years old. Thats a lot of mileage 750 RS games and 130 POs games

:tu

Parker still has a lot of gas left, but he's beginning to be outplayed when it counts the most. The sad thing is, when he went off in OT of game 5, that was an aberration, not the norm as we so deliriously wanted it to be.

Fuck this, TP is great, blow up the rest of the team except the big 3, Neal and Splitter. That should be our starting 5. Let's play them for 48 minutes and run them into the fucking ground, let's go out like maniacs and just start punching babies and running onto the court with blood and foam streaming from our mouths as we consume newborn hamsters like they're popcorn. Fuck this, I'm going to play some Black Ops, I need to kill people digitally.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM

I agree. There are posters who say he has not peaked but then offer no suggestions as to what part of his game will improve.

GrandeDavid
05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks! Though it's a painful reminder of how an amazing season came crashing down so fast. :depressed

But we saw the crash coming well in advance, which made it less painful to many. For me, when they got blown out in Miami and by the Lakers at home I was very doubtful they'd be contending for the championship.

it's me
05-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree. There are posters who say he has not peaked but then offer no suggestions as to what part of his game will improve.

LOL those are not "posters" it's fucking ducks, what do you expect :lmao

ohmwrecker
05-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Passing on the break, defense and 3pt shooting . . . should or will?

GrandeDavid
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I think the Spurs are definitely gonna trade Tony Parker. He wouldn't have been so candid if not. Something is up. And if the Spurs are gonna trade him and get some value, now is the time. I'll be very surprised if Tony and maybe some other players aren't traded to bring in some serious fresh blood.

spurs10
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tony is being realistic, however I don't see how our chances were that much better this season as opposed to the next. We had some glaring weaknesses, especially in the front court, and will probably address those issues. I think he was projecting as he did after our 1st round ouster in 09. Even with Tim and Manu being 1 year older, it is entirely possible that we become a better team next year. It's going to take some aggressive moves, but it's possible. Tiago and JA being integrated will be an improvement.

ohmwrecker
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I drop a fucking bomb on you guys and it gets like 2.5 pages of attention.

I think everyone is hesitant to "buy in" on that one, Phila.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-19-2011, 03:23 PM
:lol

rjv
05-19-2011, 03:27 PM
While I highly doubt the trade goes down personally, have I ever send you guys down the wrong path?

this is probably why so little response. i think most of us think this will not go down.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Don't feel bad. I posted about my conversation with Tiago Splitter at the library and nobody gave a shit.

ohmwrecker
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
While I highly doubt the trade goes down personally, have I ever send you guys down the wrong path?

I can't remember, tbh.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't feel bad. I posted about my conversation with Tiago Splitter at the library and nobody gave a shit.

:lmao you are on a roll cantthinkofanything ! Idk why but your recent posts are :lol at least for me

Loved the guy who corrected you about he speaks brazilian on that thread

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 03:49 PM
You are talking about the Grizz like they earned confidence soon and ride on that to overachieve till the end against the spurs. If true OKC would have destroyed them. Fact is they played the exact same bb against OKC, they did nothing against the spurs they didn't repeat against OKC. This was not a fluke serie.

The games were not as close as scoreboard indicate, we needed miracles to win game 5.

Your logic is flawed unless you also consider the spurs are better than OKC too.

I think the Spurs if they were playing Spurs basketball woulda played better against OKC than against Mem. Problem with mem isnt their big's defense, its their dominant offense. OKC has two isolation players which the Spurs are better at defending and Timmy wouldn't have been as worn out defending their bigs.

I do not think Memphis is a fluke. I do think the Spurs gave Memphis insane confidence by not only losing winnable games but by looking shaken. Nowhere was that more apparent to me than Tony Parker. If he had not left Battier in game 1, we probably win that game and Memphis isn't as confident the rest of the series. Then in game 3, I think the Memphis players saw Parker suddenly look like doesn't know how to dribble or pass and that helped their confidence soar. With all that said, I think if Tony played like Tony, we would have gotten game 1 or 3 and Memphis wouldn't have had the swagger they had and we would have won in 6 or 7.

Also, if the series was tied 2-2, I don't see Memphis playing with the care-free attitude they had in game 5. Thats why they came back and almost beat us in that game.

You can think my logic is flawed all you want but IMO, Tony Parker's incompetence early in this series just made the Grizzlies that much more confident.

BUT...if Pop had integrated Splitter this season instead of that dumbass Blair or Bonner (who I like as a specialist), I think we definitely win this series.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Seriously I do think he will improve stuff he is always trying to add something to his arsenal but it would be to try to compensate other parts declining. Overall we saw, IMO, the best of TP two years ago and this year too.

In a way, he was damn good this season when the team hit the 3s at high rate, when RJ remembered how to go to the rim and dunk (the alley oops serie between TP and RJ was nice), when Manu carried stuff in the fourth and when our frontline was competiting.

If somehow he could add a little bit of 3 points shooting it would open up things for him inside and make his life easier in O.

Regarding his D I'm on the TP D is under appreciated bandwagon, he will never be an elite defender but considering his O responsabilities and his physic he is doing a good job to stay with his guy.

Bottom line if the spurs want good return for TP it's now or never IMO.

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Btw, as for Parker's performance in the playoffs, I think that was an anomaly just based off of bad timing. All season, he was awesome, and he just ran into a random mental block at the wrong time. I'm confident he will play awesome next year. Unless we get someone who legitimately helps us out (I don't think that guy is Smith...we need a legit bruiser type of player), I think we gotta keep him.

Bruno
05-19-2011, 04:01 PM

A year ago, you were convinced Parker would be traded and would not re-sign with Spurs.

it's me
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Nobody is giving a shit about anything lately tbh ............. we got kicked in the nuts by the 8th fucking seed........... and the world is ending on Saturday LOL

Brazil
05-19-2011, 04:06 PM
I think the Spurs if they were playing Spurs basketball woulda played better against OKC than against Mem. Problem with mem isnt their big's defense, its their dominant offense. OKC has two isolation players which the Spurs are better at defending and Timmy wouldn't have been as worn out defending their bigs.

I do not think Memphis is a fluke. I do think the Spurs gave Memphis insane confidence by not only losing winnable games but by looking shaken. Nowhere was that more apparent to me than Tony Parker. If he had not left Battier in game 1, we probably win that game and Memphis isn't as confident the rest of the series. Then in game 3, I think the Memphis players saw Parker suddenly look like doesn't know how to dribble or pass and that helped their confidence soar. With all that said, I think if Tony played like Tony, we would have gotten game 1 or 3 and Memphis wouldn't have had the swagger they had and we would have won in 6 or 7.

Also, if the series was tied 2-2, I don't see Memphis playing with the care-free attitude they had in game 5. Thats why they came back and almost beat us in that game.

You can think my logic is flawed all you want but IMO, Tony Parker's incompetence early in this series just made the Grizzlies that much more confident.

BUT...if Pop had integrated Splitter this season instead of that dumbass Blair or Bonner (who I like as a specialist), I think we definitely win this series.

We are seeing things with different eyes and thats all good but once again the Grizz with great confidence against OKC too.

Now as expected we disagree regarding OKC, Perks and Ibaka would have annilhilated our interior O game, we were one of the worst 3 pts shooting defending team: Durant and Harden would have had good times shooting us out by their 3s, who would have defended Durant ? RJ ? :lol. Our chances would have been exploiting Westbrook weaknesses: JS and TOs but easier to say than to do.

Regarding your last sentence, I don't know if it would have been enough to win the serie or the west but that was the only way to give us a chance. Now thats the tricky part the team was playing great during the RS w/o Tiago, I understand why pop was reluctant to change this dynamic but obviously that was a mistake.

cantthinkofanything
05-19-2011, 04:23 PM
...Bonner (who I like as a specialist)...

LOL. What is his specialty?

"and introducing at center, it's wide open three point specialist in non-playoff games, Matt Bonner."

Bruno
05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Personal opinion back then. While I did catch on that offers were being made mostly on Parker. I assume the Spurs didn't feel there were any major deals.

IIRC, it was little more than a personal opinion.

Anyway, there are a lot of things who don't work int he rumor you're reporting. The first one is that Minny isn't enough under the cap space to do this trade. They can't absorb Howard salary while giving up only Webster and Love.

Bruno
05-19-2011, 04:52 PM
As for part two, you're correct. This deal is not coming from either Spurs, Magic or T-wolves sources, but Hawks.

Even if Minny add players to make the deal works under the CBA, I don't see where Arenas could be send in this deal while he has maybe the worst contract in the NBA. Parker's destination is also a problem. Maybe to the Hawks but it doesn't work with you saying they are trying to reduce their payroll to sell the team.

Bruno
05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Supposedly the Magic are open to trading Dwight if they can both receive prospects to rebuild and move Arenas' contract.

But where Arenas will go in your trade proposition?

objective
05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I could see the Wolves and the Hawks maybe doing a deal based around Love for Josh Smith because Smith is under contract an extra year, but not even Kahn would think a one year rental of Howard at the cost of his only all-star plus lottery picks is remotely defensible.

Interrohater
05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
I could see the Wolves and the Hawks maybe doing a deal based around Love for Josh Smith because Smith is under contract an extra year, but not even Kahn would think a one year rental of Howard at the cost of his only all-star plus lottery picks is remotely defensible.

Yea right. Kaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhn!!

spurs10
05-19-2011, 05:03 PM
I guess my biggest question is if we have much of a chance of getting a big. Tony doesn't seem to think so from the sound of it. I will be very surprised if we don't make a serious move.

Bruno
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Don't know. Not ATL. Not Minny (can't if they take Howard as well). Maybe Cleveland?

Arenas has $62.4M left on his contract.

Do you think there is enough incentives for Cavs to take him while they also give up the 4th pick and some quite good players?

DPG21920
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Brazil, you may disagree, but no one will change my mind that the Spurs were the better team and much more talented.

I know it sucks because it's the team we love, but they played awful and choked. There isn't anyone that can convince me otherwise. Everyone from the coach to the Big 3 know this as well. Most of the time, those guys say "the better team won...". None of them believe that and they have been pretty bold in stating so.

20beastie45
05-19-2011, 05:28 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

are you fucking kidding me? and what happened at the PG position TP??? truth is you got raped by 2 scrubs called Michael Conley and Grievis Vasquez. Truth is you shot 25% in the series opener. Truth is you had 30 assists and 20 turnovers. Truth is you and Pop are the 2 main reasons the Spurs got bounced out in the 1st round.

Now I seen it all. Ship this motherfucker out of here :ihit

I agree with you

But these guys are not "scrubs"!

Bruno
05-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Again, Xs, Os, and all parts of this trade are in basic stages. If it gets past that. As I said before, the Magic aren't interested in rebuilding with Arenas' contract on the books. Makes it too hard.

We will see what will happens with Orlando but I don't see them able to both dump Arenas and get young players/picks for Howard.

Budkin
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM

That's because you're almost always right.

Brazil
05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Brazil, you may disagree, but no one will change my mind that the Spurs were the better team and much more talented.

I know it sucks because it's the team we love, but they played awful and choked. There isn't anyone that can convince me otherwise. Everyone from the coach to the Big 3 know this as well. Most of the time, those guys say "the better team won...". None of them believe that and they have been pretty bold in stating so.

we were so close to loose this serie 4/1 and no one will change my mind the Grizzlie is the better team, they dominated us on every damn aspect of a bb game, every one, even Battier shitted on us.

Anyway lets imagine a second we were the better team we won the first round then what ? you think honestly we had a shot against Dallas and OKC ? We are talking about a team, the spurs, where Asik would immediately be the second best big man of the rotation.

And like everybody I thought before the POs that the spurs will win the serie (I said I think in 6 or 5) against the Grizz and will make at least the WCF (I thought it was their ceiling) and I was hoping secretly in a last ring for Timmy. I was soooooo wrong it's not even funny

DPG21920
05-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I was one of the vocal few that even before the series started said Memphis would be tough and was the worst draw for the Spurs.

Even with me saying, there is absolutely no way the Spurs should have lost the series. In order to do so, they had to play really far below their normal level and Memphis had to play very well.

That happened.

rascal
05-19-2011, 05:49 PM
we were so close to loose this serie 4/1 and no one will change my mind the Grizzlie is the better team, they dominated us on every damn aspect of a bb game, every one, even Battier shitted on us.

Anyway lets imagine a second we were the better team we won the first round then what ? you think honestly we had a shot against Dallas and OKC ? We are talking about a team, the spurs, where Asik would immediately be the second best big man of the rotation.

And like everybody I thought before the POs that the spurs will win the serie (I said I think in 6 or 5) against the Grizz and will make at least the WCF (I thought it was their ceiling) and I was hoping secretly in a last ring for Timmy. I was soooooo wrong it's not even funny

Agree. How many minutes did the Spurs even lead in any of the games?
They were playing from behind in most of the games.

rascal
05-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Pop came out and said the Spurs are keeping the big 3 together for one more run and thats what you can expect. So expect no big trades and just a couple minor tweaks to the roster.

Parker will stay with the spurs as long as Pop is still in San Antonio.

rascal
05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
The spurs will replace a couple of role players with equal role players and most everyone will get excited with the changes and expect the Spurs to win a title.
It happens every year.

kobyz
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
so maybe mow Spurs fans will figure out that Spurs need to trade Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili to give them another chance to get a ring, Tim and Manu gave a lot to the team and they deserved it, Spurs fans should stop being piousness and sententious, to understand that the much importent thing is to not let TD and Manu to waste their final years they have in them on playing for nothing.
Spurs should start rebuild and TD and Manu still good to be important part of championship team, they just need to play next to a real franchise player, so Spurs have to make the trade of sending TD and Manu for Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon and Al-Farouq Aminu or Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan(S&T).

ducks
05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
That's because you're almost always right.

wrong tp would not sign extension
when has he been right

ducks
05-19-2011, 07:33 PM
The spurs will replace a couple of role players with equal role players and most everyone will get excited with the changes and expect the Spurs to win a title.
It happens every year.

did you think dallas would sweep the lakers
what big changes did mem do this year?

Spurs7794
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
so maybe mow Spurs fans will figure out that Spurs need to trade Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili to give them another chance to get a ring, Tim and Manu gave a lot to the team and they deserved it, Spurs fans should stop being piousness and sententious, to understand that the much importent thing is to not let TD and Manu to waste their final years they have in them on playing for nothing.
Spurs should start rebuild and TD and Manu still good to be important part of championship team, they just need to play next to a real franchise player, so Spurs have to make the trade of sending TD and Manu for Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon and Al-Farouq Aminu or Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan(S&T).

I would bet money that Ginobili and Duncan would rather stay with the Spurs and not win the championship then go to different teams.

Admidave50
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Everybody is gone fishing bro!

05-19-2011, 09:42 PM
you need to start a new thread with the title "parker to be traded." instant 200 replies.

BackHome
05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
A year ago, you were convinced Parker would be traded and would not re-sign with Spurs.

It was amazing that all year he was saying he was going to test the market and then all of a sudden a story is going to come out how he was cheating on his wife. Bang let me sign contract....

Spurs da champs
05-20-2011, 12:00 AM
lol TP has been ass ever since 2007, the finals MVP got to his head making him think he was better then then really was. I'd much rather have George as the starter & trade Tony for somewhere while he still has value. Manu and George last year when Tony was out were ballin.

Bruno
05-20-2011, 01:42 AM
It was amazing that all year he was saying he was going to test the market.

Well, not really.
Parker said all year that re-signing with Spurs was his first option.

NewcastleKEG
05-20-2011, 02:38 AM

About next year:

Will he be traded?

About his year in NBA:

Damn brutal honesty right there. Do not disagree with anything he said and props for the openness. Other players wouldn't give some candid responses

Interrohater
05-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Fuck that. I wouldn't trade TD for another ring. Call me sentimental or ignorant or not a real basketball fan, but there are some things that just deserve happening, such as Timmy retiring as a Spur. I'd rather be lottery-bound with Timmy manning the post old as shit than winning a championship with Tim in a different uniform. That would be like Chuck E. Cheese deciding to go in another direction by selling porn. It's just not right and I won't stand for it.

temujin
05-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Pretty bold statements by Tony Parker.
I think the players knew they had no chance before May (no defense, no title, multiple statements during the season).

Manu's chat in March left me the impression they didn't seriously believe.

At any rate, from now on, it's pretty clear that if they keep Parker, none in the Spurs organization believes in another title.

And rightly so.

DrSteffo
05-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Hmm and if we do trade Parker we will get better?

To me it's obvius that some people here don't want to face the ugly truth. Thats fine with me.

Pauleta14
05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
It was amazing that all year he was saying he was going to test the market and then all of a sudden a story is going to come out how he was cheating on his wife. Bang let me sign contract....

:nope

That was Manu a year ago...

TP always said signing with the spurs was his priority!

Amazing what can be read in this thread...:lol

Brazil
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM
lol TP has been ass ever since 2007, the finals MVP got to his head making him think he was better then then really was. I'd much rather have George as the starter & trade Tony for somewhere while he still has value. Manu and George last year when Tony was out were ballin.

George 0,2 assist per game Hill :lmao

gameFACE
05-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Thinking George Hill can replace Tony is just plain stupid. Replace a tweener with an even bigger tweener. Stupid.

Besides stating the obvious with the age thing, Tony's speaking in code. Even though he didn't exactly wow anyone in the first round, he's saying "make the team better of trade me the fuck out of here".

yavozerb
05-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Thinking George Hill can replace Tony is just plain stupid. Replace a tweener with an even bigger tweener. Stupid.

Besides stating the obvious with the age thing, Tony's speaking in code. Even though he didn't exactly wow anyone in the first round, he's saying "make the team better of trade me the fuck out of here".

I would hope nobody would be dumb enough to think TP would be replaced if he was traded. The only hope would be to hope that whatever piece they did get back in a trade would provide above average play at another position and hope Hill or whoever would simply play average (not spectacular) at the pg position. With all that said TP will be our PG next season..

ogait
05-20-2011, 08:48 AM

That's pretty much it. As long as Manu and Duncan are still here he'll play it cool, with subtle hints like this one. But can anyone see Tony sticking with the Spurs past that specially considering the Spurs have no trade assets or money flexibility to do anything and sooner or later a trip to the lottery will be inevitable.

Budkin
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Was listening to Mike and Mike a little bit ago and they brought up this story. Jalen Rose was subbing for Mike Golic and his interpretation was that Tony is basically asking for a trade. Of course it's Jalen Rose who is dumb as a brick, but I just thought it was interesting.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-20-2011, 09:15 AM
This whole thing is one of yahoo's top stories :lol

Spurs7794
05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
George Hill is not a pg. He's a scorer who can dominate games at home...and can't dribble or handle the ball or do anything effective on the road. If we get rid of Parker, we need to find some sort of competent pg to fill that gap.

it's me
05-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Make Manu the full time PG, get rid of Walton's girlfriend and get a couple of bigs out of Tony and we may have a chance..... lol not really, we're done, sad but true.

it's me
05-20-2011, 09:44 AM
George Hill is not a pg. He's a scorer who can dominate games at home...and can't dribble or handle the ball or do anything effective on the road. If we get rid of Parker, we need to find some sort of competent pg to fill that gap.

:lmao

Cane
05-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Again Parker's the only Spur making the headlines and its for all the wrong reasons again :lol :(

He's always been a candid interviewee but you just don't want to hear this stuff from the player that was one of the biggest reasons why the Spurs underachieved in the first round.

You also don't want to read this stuff from a guy that was basically a cancer in the locker room after that Eva/Barry fiasco.

Parker was a huge disappointment from the start of the season and at the end. For an organization that treats eachother more like family members, Parker has a strong case for being detrimental to the team especially when it comes to setting the example.

Imo he should at least be shopped around although we're in an era of score-first combo guards so Parker's not exactly a premium talent even if he is great in the reg season.

lefty
05-20-2011, 10:06 AM
" TP: Tim and Manu are older "

lol TP forgetting his sucking in the 1st round

Ship his ass, FAST

spursfan09
05-20-2011, 10:18 AM
This whole thing is one of yahoo's top stories :lol

Well crap, What's he supposed to say? "Spurs are contenders and will win the ring next year?" Then the story would be : "NBA Star is delusional - needs mental evaluation." I mean he's brutally honest (always been this way), and I can agree with that. I think he's saying this so the front office can also believe that we can't win with this group of guys. Who thought we could win with Bonner and Jefferson? Compared to Bowen and Horry? Seriously? The fans knew we couldn't and apparently so does Tony Parker. So who thought it was a good idea to play guys like these non stop and not develop Tiago, oh yeah it was Pop. How the hell does he not get blamed more? Don't get me wrong Tony Parker sucked it up as much as anyone. Nobody came to play except for Manu! Okay rant over. This felt good. Thank you.

ogait
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Ye if Parker have said something among the lines of "we'll be fine", "we just need one or two pieces" Spur fan will be full of joy and in expectation for another great season to begin.

What he said is the true and there's nothing wrong with that. You don't trade him because of that, you trade him if a good deal can be made because he's the only one in the team with a market value.

Everything else is rubbish.

yavozerb
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Arenas has $62.4M left on his contract.

Do you think there is enough incentives for Cavs to take him while they also give up the 4th pick and some quite good players?

Cleveland does have a 14.5 mil trade exception from Lebron James that expires on july 11 per sham sports...Just throwing that out there

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-20-2011, 11:14 AM

i actually did. no joke, people think they deserve these amazing stories on here to me they seem to favor speculation over face to face conversations w/real spurs players!! its strange

im not a big fan of t.p because i have met him quite a few times, however i have alot of respect for his game .anyhow i've said this prior to our 07 ring... t.p is the kind of guy that needs alot of variables to working his way in order for us to see him play like the tony of old.

what i mean by that is, he's easily discouraged, and he's definitely the type of person that flees when things get tough. (whether that be the end of the tim duncan era, or a playoff series that is an uphill battle and he's the only option, HES NOT A LEADER IF YOU HAVENT NOTICED.

now i think he can play amazing if he went to..lets say new york where he would have motivation . teams know this and know tony isn't past his prime.

i think we have to pull the trigger, take a chance at trading for young promising talent/lottery picks OR for short term Ring as mentioned earlier in the hawks. but i think we can get away with both getting young size and a ring if we keep Dice but its crucial we keep those veterans to hold this team together. if we get a deal like that for parker we need to BitE-- for the future of this TEAM.., not just tim duncan. although i love the big fella.

what if we get thrown off w/a trade like this : CP3 to SA for TP&J.A? WWYD>?

Cane
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Spurs general manager R.C. Buford was at the NBA’s pre-draft combine in Chicago on Thursday when he heard that point guard Tony Parker this week said the Spurs, as constituted, aren’t capable of contending for an NBA championship.

“Who knows what the motivation is to say something like that,” Buford said. “I’m not going to get caught up in comments. All I can say is that we’re going to continue to build our team and try to be as good as we can be in the future.”

Buford understands that Parker’s comments are apt to spawn another round of trade speculation.

“I can’t control that,” he said, “and I’m not going to worry about it. We’re just going to move forward and work to improve the team.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213794/Buford_Not_Concerned_With_Parkers_Fading_Title_Hop es#ixzz1MuVnNeH7

Brazil
05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
^ well Buford seems to be quite pissed off by TP comments.

romain.star
05-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Parker is our Sydney Govou... traded every season for ten years