PDA

View Full Version : Early offense through Ben

bdubya
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm not kidding here - one thing y'all might not know to watch for is the early offense being run through Ben. (and quit giggling). When he's not matched against somebody way bigger than him, it can be surprisingly effective (stop it!). Dont' be surprised to see him lighting up Nazr early (I said QUIT GIGGLING) and leading the Pistons to notable 1st-quarter lead (STOP LAUGHING! I'M SERIOUS HERE!).

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
How tall is Ben's real height? When I met him at the All-Star game, I would guess less than 6'8. What do you think? Nazr is 6'10 3/4 no shoes.

flame
06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
nope not laughing. I know the pistons run the early offense through big ol ben at the beginning of games. You can tell it fires him and the team up. They usually dish it to him for abut 3-4 buckets before going anywhere else.

as for the rest o these kids on the forum - who knows if theyve noticed that ;-)

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
i think Ben's height is determinat on if he is with-fro or without-fro.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
I have noticed that they like to feed Ben down in the block, although the few times I've actually seen them do it it hasn't gone too well. I'm sure that it helps him get in the flow but that's hardly the offensive matchup I'd look to exploit if I'm Larry Brown.

Jimcs50
06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
I hope he gets to the FT line in 1st Q. I want Rasho to feel good about himself.

:)

PistonsNation
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm gonna say Ben scores 12 tonight with 15 boards

Spurspride
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Dont be surprised when Nazar puts up good numbers specifically offessive rebounds. Nobody talks about this but i think Nazar will be far more dangerous than anyone gives hime credit for. Look for alot of easy layups for Nazar when Big Ben trys to leave him to help on others.

geerussell
06-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Ben lists at 6'9, his real height is probably about 6'7. Make it 7'4 with the fro.

Xolotl
06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
He's a great hustle player......but that shot of his damn

td4mvp21
06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Ben lists at 6'9, his real height is probably about 6'7. Make it 7'4 with the fro.

He's a pretty good center for being that short. I like his rebounding the best, he is always aggressive in that area.

bdubya
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm gonna say Ben scores 12 tonight with 15 boards

Cool, but what about the second half? :D

nkdlunch
06-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Ben was raped by Shaq. Might as well get raped by Nazr too.

OnlyOneGinobili
06-09-2005, 05:33 PM
the only points hes going to score from is from offensive rebounds... we'll let him shoot a midrange shot, but he won't be getting any easy points.

WayDowntownBang
06-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Nazr is no Shaq. I really hope that you're kidding.

Solid D
06-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Define "early offense" - then I'll let you know if I'm giggling or not.

picnroll
06-09-2005, 05:39 PM
After a couple of weeks of Amare Ben is going to look like slow motion to Nazr.

whottt
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I like Big Ben...he's one of my favorite players in the NBA, and he's a damn good C regardless of his height...the fact that he is short makes his block and board totals even more impressive if you ask me.

But...he's not a good offensive player even with his improvement, so I hope the Pistons do run it through him...The Spurs are not going sit there with their thumbs up their asses and leave him wide open like Miami did though...Any shots that Ben takes are shots that will be contested and that won't get taken by B/H/P, and that makes them good ones in my book...By all means...let Ben carry your O.

nkdlunch
06-09-2005, 05:41 PM

no shit. anyway I'm trying to get to lucky 777 posts 'fore the game :)

Spurspride
06-09-2005, 05:43 PM
After a couple of weeks of Amare Ben is going to look like slow motion to Nazr.

No kidding these guys are crazy if they think big ben is going to score with his post game against the spurs. I can see him getting put backs allyops or cuts to the basket without the ball but not posting up.

SLOVENIAN 8
06-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Rasho will stop him!!! :smokin

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
No kidding these guys are crazy if they think big ben is going to score with his post game against the spurs. I can see him getting put backs allyops or cuts to the basket without the ball but not posting up.

I don't think he knows how to post up.

whottt
06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Ben was raped by Shaq.

What C's in the NBA haven't been raped by Shaq?

Xolotl
06-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Rasho will stop him!!! :smokin

Whats he going to do run off the bench with a ski mask and crack him in the knee with a lead pipe?

wildbill2u
06-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm not kidding here - one thing y'all might not know to watch for is the early offense being run through Ben. (and quit giggling). When he's not matched against somebody way bigger than him, it can be surprisingly effective (stop it!). Dont' be surprised to see him lighting up Nazr early (I said QUIT GIGGLING) and leading the Pistons to notable 1st-quarter lead (STOP LAUGHING! I'M SERIOUS HERE!).

The Pistons did it in one of their first playoff games and it worked. A surprise move like that doesn't usually work twice however.

nkdlunch
06-09-2005, 11:41 PM

you were saying....

Solid D
06-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I didn't see a lot of consistent early offense from the Pistons tonight after the first quarter...Ben Wallace or otherwise.

violentkitten
06-11-2005, 08:34 PM
that was a fucking brilliant idea.

Solid D
06-12-2005, 12:45 AM
bdubya - Ben didn't exactly get off to that start you suggested. He made 1 of 2 FTs with a couple of minutes left in the 1st qtr., then he didn't really do much other than an athletic jam off a missed shot. Ends up with a couple of buckets, that's it.

The next thing is a little bit about Basketball 101 that may need clearing up. You talked about the Pistons getting off to an early 1st qtr. lead, which they did and called for early offense through Ben. It sounded like you were saying that early offense is the offense being run early in the game. If that is what you were saying, then just know for next time that "early offense" is plays set up to be run out of transition or early in the shot clock, getting the ball up into the offensive zone past the hash in 2-3 seconds. This "early offense" takes advantage of a defense not being set yet.

Detroit didn't really get into many early offense opportunities except on the turnovers. The Spurs set up too quickly for early offense to work very often.

SouthernFried
06-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Did you notice who the SPURS early offense went through?

NAZR!

Great idea...thanks.

Sense
06-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Someone other than Ben is gonna have to beat the Spurs..

Ben Wallace will do nothing other than Rebound....

He's obviously no offensive threat...unless he gets assisted...soemthing you will see rarely against the Spurs.

jochhejaam
06-12-2005, 06:20 AM
Ben's the kind of player who would probably surprise you with his shooting skills in a pick-up game but he's not going to win us any games in the NBA finals with his scoring. We just need him to get his season average which is about 10.
In my house it usually goes like this, "no, don't pass the ball to Ben"!, or "Ben shouldn't be takin' those shots"! And another problem is players know that if he gets into position where he is going for a layup he's gonna get fouled (I assume Pop coaches his players to do so as long as their not in foul trouble, I would) and then he goes to the foul line and we're like "NOOOO" :lol

Ben's game is to disrupt the offense and he's usually adept at that. His offense for the most part should come from putbacks and alley-oops and other than that he shouldn't be an option against the Spurs.