PDA

View Full Version : California group wants to bring the AFL to SA and have Spurs own the team

Buddy Holly
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
The group includes Rick Berry.

LINK (http://www.sametrodaily.com/2011/05/california-group-wants-to-bring-afl.html)

lil'mo
05-20-2011, 01:42 PM
barry?

there is nothing gayer than arena football, but i dont live in sa, so fuckin go for it.

jjktkk
05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I would like to see it happen.

TwelveGs210
05-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Wouldnt support it

Drewlius
05-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Nooooo! Give us an MLS Team! It would do great in this city.

yavozerb
05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I think I would support mls soccer before arena football...

DesignatedT
05-20-2011, 03:48 PM
fuck mls and arena football. get a fucking mlb team already.

tp2021
05-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd rather they work on the team they already got first, if we're being picky about it.

baseline bum
05-20-2011, 04:08 PM
fuck mls and arena football. get a fucking mlb team already.

That would be awesome, though I doubt San Antonio could support a team 81+ games per year.

8FOR!3
05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Houston and Dallas get NBA/NFL teams, so should San Antonio. Nobody cares about the AFL. Even though I'd still be a Cowboys fan regardless.

Sisk
05-20-2011, 04:19 PM
That would be awesome, though I doubt San Antonio could support a team 81+ games per year.

http://turbo.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2009/11/floridamarlinsinq.jpg

4>0rings
05-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Half the cities with MLB teams can't support them right now as is. Ever seen a Marlins or Mariners game? Like 8 people in the stands.

I don't care for baseball until the post season, but I would love it if we got an MLB team and would go to the games.

dragonpride2001
05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Uh we already have had an afl team the San Antonio force back in 1992 they only played for one season

baseline bum
05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Half the cities with MLB teams can't support them right now as is. Ever seen a Marlins or Mariners game? Like 8 people in the stands.

I don't care for baseball until the post season, but I would love it if we got an MLB team and would go to the games.

Baseball has an idiot commissioner who has wrecked the game and who does nothing to ensure smaller markets can compete. Even if that was fixed I don't see San Antonio having the money to support a team that many nights of the season. The NFL seems like it would be a much easier sell here.

DesignatedT
05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
If you build the stadium off of 35 near New Braunsfels you could also get a lot of crowds from San Marcos, Austin area to come to games. MLB could work here easily, especially with ticket prices being low unlike the NFL and NBA.

Obviously there are other reasons why it hasn't happened but it could definitely work IMO and San Antonio would support it.

NFL will never come here because of Jerry Jones, so that is out of the question, rather have baseball anyway.

baseline bum
05-20-2011, 04:37 PM
If you build the stadium off of 35 near New Braunsfels you could also get a lot of crowds from San Marcos, Austin area to come to games. MLB could work here easily, especially with ticket prices being low unlike the NFL and NBA.

Obviously there are other reasons why it hasn't happened but it could definitely work IMO and San Antonio would support it.

NFL will never come here because of Jerry Jones, so that is out of the question, rather have baseball anyway.

Ticket prices may not be too high to sit in the outfield, but 81 times a year? Plus, drinks and food are ridiculous at MLB games. It's pretty expensive to take your family out to a game, and I really don't see the money to support it here.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Are the Missions setting attendance records or something?

Budkin
05-20-2011, 05:31 PM
AFL sucks. Austin had the Wranglers owned by Bon Jovi or some shit. It was a complete failure.

Buddy Holly
05-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Bon Jovi owns the Philadelphia Soul.

bresilhac
05-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Having an AFL team in San Antonio would be both a joke and an insult. The city should focus its pro sports efforts on obtaining an NFL franchise for the city. San Antonio is a natural for an NFL team for many reasons. I wasn't around here for that San Antonio Force fiasco back in the nineties but I would guess that it didn't meet with a whole lot of success.

Jones and McNair would be satisfied with a third NFL team in Texas so long as they could be convinced that their teams would still remain profitable as they are now. Still though it would take a lot of cold, hard cash to convince Jones and McNair to allow a San Antonio NFL team. But it could be done. It is not, as some on here believe, impossible.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Aussie Rules in SA? Awesome! :downspin:

Man In Black
05-20-2011, 09:20 PM
MLS is actually pretty cool. As long as it's a Soccer Only Stadium. I watch the Galaxy and I have a good time even if that Beckham fellow ain't playing.

I can't see Baseball there. I live in San Diego and here about the Padres affiliate in San Antonio all the time, but the way the broadcasters make it seem, it might as well be a smaller locale like San Angelo instead of a city like San Antonio.

lefty
05-20-2011, 10:49 PM
lol AFL

lol thinking of getting an NFL team

Toronto will get an NFL team before San Antonio

Hooks
05-21-2011, 07:37 AM
We want the saints! We want the saints! We want the saints!

TJastal
05-21-2011, 08:24 AM
barry?

there is nothing gayer than arena football, but i dont live in sa, so fuckin go for it.

I would like to see it happen.

fyatuk
05-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Uh we already have had an afl team the San Antonio force back in 1992 they only played for one season

Yes, they set marvelous records for futility. One of the worst teams in the history of the AFL.

They still averaged 12k+ fans at Hemisfair, with attendance increasing every game. Even by 1992 standards, the Force were fairly successful in terms of attendance. They even had a local TV contract.

SA is definitely a potential market for Arena League.

SilverSpur
05-21-2011, 12:23 PM
If I were you guys i would support any team that came to San Antonio. This would show you would come out to support a MLS, NFL, or MLB team.
Go out and support your minor teams like the new San Antonio Scorpions soccer team the city was awarded and welcome a arena football team. These are stepping stones to greater things.
You have a great city, culture, enough population and the Alamo dome to make things happen.
Remember what happen with Oklahoma City? They showed support for a NBA team during a temporary situation and the Seattle SuperSonics saw this and moved there franchise there.
Katrina almost made it happen for you with the Saints, but unless you are willing to support minor teams, the other cities around the US will get the expansion teams.

ChuckD
05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
If I were you guys i would support any team that came to San Antonio. This would show you would come out to support a MLS, NFL, or MLB team. Go out and support your minor teams like the new San Antonio Scorpions soccer team the city was awarded and welcome a arena football team. These are stepping stones to greater things.
You have a great city, culture, enough population and the Alamo dome to make things happen.
Remember what happen with Oklahoma City? They showed support for a NBA team during a temporary situation and the Seattle SuperSonics saw this and moved there franchise there.
Katrina almost made it happen for you with the Saints, but unless you are willing to support minor teams, the other cities around the US will get the expansion teams.

Getting Major sports teams is never about fan support. It's about corporate base. They are the ones that buy lux boxes and field level seats. We don't have that. The city has done two major studies that I am aware of in the last 5-8 years, and both of them showed that we cannot support an MLB or NFL team, corporate base and sponsorship wise.

The NFL and MLB are also not going to expand for the next decade or two, either. They are both about tapped out from a talent dilution standpoint.

The Alamo Dome also isn't shit. It's a 19-20 YO facility that is sadly out of date. Any MLB or NFL team would demand a new venue, paid for by the taxpayers, of course. Not going to happen.

robino2001
05-22-2011, 10:41 PM

First (not only anymore - I think someone else got blanked since) team to ever be shutout in arena football :) We went to all the games that year - had a blast. We went to a few of the super minor league arena games Austin had a couple of years ago. It was so lower level that the goalposts were made out of PVC pipe and were often crooked! The Wranglers games in Austin were always a blast too. AFL games are a great time but the "year off" really killed the sport. One game a week on NFL network or whatever it is isn't going to help get the league back to where it was.

bresilhac
05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Getting Major sports teams is never about fan support. It's about corporate base. They are the ones that buy lux boxes and field level seats. We don't have that. The city has done two major studies that I am aware of in the last 5-8 years, and both of them showed that we cannot support an MLB or NFL team, corporate base and sponsorship wise.

The NFL and MLB are also not going to expand for the next decade or two, either. They are both about tapped out from a talent dilution standpoint.

The Alamo Dome also isn't shit. It's a 19-20 YO facility that is sadly out of date. Any MLB or NFL team would demand a new venue, paid for by the taxpayers, of course. Not going to happen.

Having a thriving corporate base is only part of the picture. If it were all that important would Green Bay, Jacksonville, Nashville, New Orleans or Buffalo have teams? Of course not. The key to there being NFL football in San Antonio or any other city is television ratings and its resultant revenue. Television revenue is what makes the league go round not anything else.

Television revenue is shared revenue. All the teams get a piece of that huge pie. So if there are more football viewers watching the league's teams then there would be more TV revenue to throw around. San Antonio's business base is more than capable of filling up a couple of hundred sky boxes. That is a no brainer.

And yes the Alamodome is a bit outdated but it would also most likely be used only as a temporary facility while a better one is built. It's all how one wishes to perceive the situation. Negatively or positively. Imo San Antonio has a terrific shot at landing an NFL team.

ChuckD
05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Having a thriving corporate base is only part of the picture. If it were all that important would Green Bay, Jacksonville, Nashville, New Orleans or Buffalo have teams? Of course not. The key to there being NFL football in San Antonio or any other city is television ratings and its resultant revenue. Television revenue is what makes the league go round not anything else.

Television revenue is shared revenue. All the teams get a piece of that huge pie. So if there are more football viewers watching the league's teams then there would be more TV revenue to throw around. San Antonio's business base is more than capable of filling up a couple of hundred sky boxes. That is a no brainer.

And yes the Alamodome is a bit outdated but it would also most likely be used only as a temporary facility while a better one is built. It's all how one wishes to perceive the situation. Negatively or positively. Imo San Antonio has a terrific shot at landing an NFL team.

Green Bay would never get a team now, expansion or otherwise. Likewise, Buffalo. New Orleans likely wouldn't have the Saints if Katrina never happened.

It's funny that most of the teams you named are struggling in their current markets. You make my point for me.

It's also NOT all about the TV. Jerry makes at least as much for the Cowboys outside of the TV deal as he makes from the deal itself, and gets to keep all of it. It's the difference between a fat profitable team and one that is constantly calling Mayflower for moving van quotes.

mosdef17
05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Haha this heading surprised me. Living in Australia, AFL means something completely different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADbFOWx8J8

bresilhac
05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Green Bay would never get a team now, expansion or otherwise. Likewise, Buffalo. New Orleans likely wouldn't have the Saints if Katrina never happened.

It's funny that most of the teams you named are struggling in their current markets. You make my point for me.

It's also NOT all about the TV. Jerry makes at least as much for the Cowboys outside of the TV deal as he makes from the deal itself, and gets to keep all of it. It's the difference between a fat profitable team and one that is constantly calling Mayflower for moving van quotes.

And you prove my point. It's all in the perception. You can chose to come up with a thousand different reasons why San Antonio won't be granted an NFL team. I on the other hand look at the positive aspects of the situation. So we disagree on San Antonio's chances. No big deal. But in the long run San Antonio will be getting an NFL team. With the continued growth of both its population and its economy among a myriad other reasons, it's inevitable.

SilverSpur
05-25-2011, 05:31 PM

I totally agree. Los Angeles has more than enough corporate , but no fan base. That city should have two teams easy plus arena football, but they have zero loyalty as far as fans. I could see San Antonio with NFL and MLB. If not expansion, then maybe a team relocation.

robino2001
05-26-2011, 08:37 AM
And you prove my point. It's all in the perception. You can chose to come up with a thousand different reasons why San Antonio won't be granted an NFL team.

And the only one that matters... Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys... case closed.

bresilhac
05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
And the only one that matters... Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys... case closed.

Actually Jones isn't nearly as powerful as people seem to think. He's only one owner. So is McNair. It would take 24 owner votes to approve a relocation or an expansion team to San Antonio. Jones, as pompous as he is, represents only one vote. That's it. So if enough owners agreed to place a team here there would be nothing Jones or McNair could do. Except sue the league. Which would not be a good idea.

The Btown Spur
05-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Although i would love to see an NFL team in SA its just hard to see us getting one before LA unfortunately imo