PDA

View Full Version : Conor Friedersdorf: UT professor salaries revealed

Winehole23
05-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Texas Exposes the Salaries of Its Professors

By Conor Friedersdorf

May 18 2011, 2:59 PM ET

(http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/texas-exposes-the-salaries-of-its-professors/239064/#disqus_thread)
Data released by the public university system have sparked questions about what faculty are worth and how they should be compensated
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/politics/longhorn.jpg
The University of Texas published salary and benefits information for every last professor on its campuses earlier this month, a move hailed by transparency advocates and lamented by folks whose pay is now public. Beyond sparking all the controversy you'd expect, the numbers are provoking some interesting questions about how faculty attributes should be valued at public universities. Consider the business school professor highlighted (http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/ut-system-releases-data-on-faculty-salaries-teaching-1457654.html) by the Austin American-Statesman:

John Sibley Butler, who holds the Gale Chair in Entrepreneurship and Small Business at the McCombs School of Business, earns $372,000 in total compensation but taught only 106 students between fall 2009 and the summer of 2010, according to the spreadsheet. That's hundreds fewer students than taught by many of his colleagues in the business school, who were paid much less over the same period.

Yet according to the document, Butler, who is the director of the Herb Kelleher Center for Entrepreneurship, also has won more than $1.5 million in research grants over the past five years.
It turns out determining how much he's worth is a thorny question.
The highest earners are typically the focus when these sorts of reports are released. In some ways, however, the gulf between the well-compensated tenure-track faculty and everyone else is most noteworthy. Full-time, permanent professors often make six figures. Inside Higher Education has given a platform (http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2011/05/17/essay_on_experience_of_being_an_adjunct_under_u_of _texas_accountability_system) to one of the non-tenure track instructors, who wrote:

Like most Americans, I am finding ways to do more with less. What I cannot afford to do without is the respect and confidence of my students. I worry about the conclusions they may draw if they learn what I am paid: $2,500 per course. Put differently: that's $12,500 for five courses a year, when a 3-2 courseload would be considered full-time at many institutions... What the figure doesn't show is the number of hours I spend preparing for those classes -- reading, planning lectures, updating statistics, reviewing notes, tweaking and grading assignments.
Would students respect this man less if they found out his salary is lower than they imagined it to be? I'd be interested in knowing. Lucky for him, the data is presented in an 821 page PDF document (http://www.insidehighered.com/media/news_documents_and_files/2011/05/texas_faculty_productivity). It's doubtful many members of the public are going to thumb through it. If they did -- if we really had the public conversation about faculty compensation that professors at UT fear -- I'll bet the populist impulse would be to give tenured faculty somewhat less, adjunct faculty substantially more, to preserve research positions in the hard sciences, and to reallocate resources away from research and toward better teaching, especially in the humanities.

What is the impulse in the Texas state legislature going to be? That's harder to speculate about. For now, however, UT professors embarrassed that the neighbors now know their salaries can take solace that they aren't on the faculty at Texas A&M. Earlier this year, when that institution put out a similar document, it listed everyone's salary next to the amount of money they brought into the institution.

Some names were printed in black, others in red.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/texas-exposes-the-salaries-of-its-professors/239064/

boutons_deux
05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
only $372K ? mere peanuts!

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/2011/01/ut-football-assistants-salaries-revealed

Wild Cobra
05-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Is this a good or bad thing?

Is this individual or collective bargaining?

If the salaries and benefits are to retain the best, is that wrong?

I don't know how much competition there is for good professors, but supply and demand rules, more often than people like to admit.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, Mack Brown got paid a million dollars a win last season....

Agloco
05-22-2011, 04:51 PM
only $372K ? mere peanuts!

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/2011/01/ut-football-assistants-salaries-revealed

Not sure if serious.......

New Texas football coordinators Bryan Harsin and Manny Diaz will make $625,000 each during their first season with the Longhorns, making them the highest-paid assistants....................Former defensive boss Will Muschamp, who had been the head coach in waiting, had a $900,000 salary before leaving to become head coach at Florida. Former offensive coordinator Greg Davis made less than $500,000 annually....................Harsin, who was named UT’s offensive co-coordinator after being hired away from Boise State, is making $125,000 more per season than Major Applewhite, who will earn $500,000 in 2011. Applewhite was promoted to co-coordinator duties but will continue to coach running backs........................Among the Longhorns’ other new assistants, defensive backs coach Jerry Gray and offensive line coach Stacy Searels will make $425,000 each, defensive tackles coach Bo Davis will make $325,000 and wide receivers coach Darrell Wyatt will make $315,000................

:wow

People paid to coordinate entertainers make significantly more than educators across the board, yet the first first person cited will usually be that educator with the "outlying" salary. Outstanding.

ploto
05-23-2011, 09:22 AM
At a large state school it is always more about how much funding (or money in the case of sports) that you bring in than about how many students you actually educate.

boutons_deux
05-23-2011, 10:36 AM
The Business of UCA "Education" is Business.

MannyIsGod
05-23-2011, 11:11 AM
The salaries without context are meaningless. And I really doubt there will be much context for the average person who sees the figures. They'll probably just compare them to their own salaries and get pissed.

Wild Cobra
05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
The salaries without context are meaningless. And I really doubt there will be much context for the average person who sees the figures. They'll probably just compare them to their own salaries and get pissed.
Wow...

Something we agree on.

boutons_deux
05-23-2011, 11:45 AM
(UT) football, or any college sport, has NOTHING to with education.

It's purely an entertainment (distraction) business.

$100Ks for professors, gotta attract/retain the marquee "talent", who barely teach or research or publish anymore (grad students get exploited) is more unacceptable.

MannyIsGod
05-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Grad students who get free rides in exchange for helping research are hardly getting exploited. College sports have a lot to do with education. There are many who gets educations that would never have the chance without an athletic scholarship and most of those big programs with big salaries more than pay for themselves.

boutons_deux
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Many, most?, who gets athletic scholarships don't get an education, esp where their sport is major. All the coach, athletic dept cares about is that they take the easiest courses and get a high-enough/fudged grade to stay on the team

MannyIsGod
05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2010+news+stories/October/Grad+rates+hit+high+marks

I'm pretty sure that athletes graduate at a higher rate than regular students.

boutons_deux
05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
"I'm pretty sure that athletes graduate at a higher rate than regular students."

taking "academic" or "gut" courses?

MannyIsGod
05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Degree plans are degree plans. Athletes are graduating. There should be more to school than simply going to class and learning. If they can graduate at a higher rate and bring the school money then there's not much to be upset about.

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not even sure why this article is news. State employees salaries are a matter of public record and have been published for years. I know A&M has had employee/professor salaries posted on line for at least two years now because I looked up a guy I know out of curiosity a couple years ago...

Wild Cobra
05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Why isn't this title "jealousy thread?"

RandomGuy
05-23-2011, 11:03 PM
I think the debate should be how much the football coach, and the vastly overpaid president/administrators are paid.

boutons_deux
05-24-2011, 12:14 AM

Winehole23
05-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Why isn't this title "jealousy thread?"Priorities come into it. The pattern of compensation isn't as attuned to the the pattern of useful work, or the equities, as it might be.

You're probably right though: nobody seems interested in that. Probably justly. It's not that interesting apart from the fact of exposure.