PDA

View Full Version : Summer League

AusSpursFan
05-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Does anyone know if Summer League is impacted if the lockout goes ahead?

Fireball
05-23-2011, 05:46 AM
no Summer League

koriwhat
05-23-2011, 05:51 AM
nba cancelled it a while back.

AusSpursFan
05-23-2011, 07:20 AM
nba cancelled it a while back.

this is the same summer games that Neal played in last year? I think it was in Vegas?

ChuckD
05-23-2011, 07:24 AM
this is the same summer games that Neal played in last year? I think it was in Vegas?

ALL SUMMER LEAGUES HAVE BEEN CANCELED.

The league did it even before the end of the regular season. The Lockout is 1 July, and the SL is usually later in the month. I guess the league is just acknowledging that there will be no quick resolution.

Pistons < Spurs
05-23-2011, 07:26 AM
As far as I know, Summer League has not been canceled ... as of yet.

There was a report saying it was, but the NBA said that report was inaccurate.

But unless some significant progress is made with the CBA I fully expect that decision to occur after the playoffs.

Pistons < Spurs
05-23-2011, 07:27 AM
The NBA, responding to a report that its Las Vegas summer league will be canceled due to a potential July 1 shutdown over its labor dispute with players, said it has yet to decide whether the summer games will continue.

"No decision has been made on summer leagues," NBA spokesman Tim Frank told ESPN.com on Wednesday. He declined to discuss the league's timetable for making a decision.

The New York Daily News, citing unnamed league sources, reported Wednesday that the NBA had canceled the Las Vegas summer league as well as its annual college internship program.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6344031

Bruno
05-23-2011, 07:30 AM
For the moment, Summer League hasn't been cancelled. The NBA denied a report saying that it was.

And there won't have summer leagues if there is a lockout. The only way NBA could theoretically make a summer league under a lockout if it it doesn't include a single player under contract with the NBA.

koriwhat
05-23-2011, 08:12 AM
interesting...

DGreen_14 Danny Green
@
@See_SHEED_Tweet hahahha wats up boi, how r u? Goin good so far man, jus headin bak to SA to continue workouts till lockout hits, sup wit u?

angelbelow
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Yup, no summer league this year. Would have been fun to attend again.

edgar
05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Man this will make for yet an even longer off season...

Spursnlego
05-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Well that stinks, I was gonna go this year...

elemento
05-23-2011, 07:52 PM
I would be so much fun to watch the Summer league.

Can you guys imagine DaSean Butler, Ryan Richards and James Anderson + our 1st pick playing this summer league ? It would be awesome.

AusSpursFan
05-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I would be so much fun to watch the Summer league.

Can you guys imagine DaSean Butler, Ryan Richards and James Anderson + our 1st pick playing this summer league ? It would be awesome.

yep, I am pissed off, would have been fun to watch some of these guys with some decent game time

Pistons < Spurs
06-17-2011, 08:22 PM
KBerg_CBS Ken Berger
Adam Silver: #NBA will be canceling Las Vegas Summer League this weekend. Calls it "a function of the calendar."

Libri
06-17-2011, 08:45 PM
:pctoss

tdunk21
06-17-2011, 11:23 PM
that sucks

Biggems
06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
The NFL and NBA are really fucking with my sports addiction.....Fucking greedy pigs

Juggity
06-18-2011, 03:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/17/da-labor-talks/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Deputy commissioner Adam Silver also officially announced what had long been suspected -- the NBA will cancel its popular Summer League in Las Vegas, which had participation from more than 20 teams the past few seasons and was the coming-out party for rookie stars like Blake Griffin and John Wall.

GSH
06-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Yeah, but the NBA says it's just a calendar problem. Not a warning to the players about the lockout or anything. "Sorry... we just checked the schedule, and we just can't work in any summer games this year."

I believe them.

Dex
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Did we lose some days or something this year that I'm not aware of? This wasn't even a leap year!

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2011, 11:31 AM
On the brink of a potential NBA lockout looming, the league has cancelled the Las Vegas Summer League, although it appears the annual Orlando Summer League is safe, for now. Orlando Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith told BHSN's David Baumann, "We are on as scheduled. We are planning for business as usual."

The NBA says its decision to cancel the Las Vegas Summer League shouldn't serve as any warning sign to players. “It was purely a function of the calendar and drop-dead dates with hotels and the arena,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said, according to CBSSports.com.

Orlando is the only other city in the country to host a professional summer league. Last season, Charlotte, Utah, Indiana, Orlando, Boston, Oklahoma City, New Jersey and Philadelphia participated in the annual event. The league is mostly intended for players with three professional seasons or fewer to participate.

http://www.baynews9.com/article/sports/2011/june/265296/NBA-cancels-Vegas-Summer-League-is-Orlando-next

Dex
06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Something I was wondering about, so figured I'd post it here.

As of yet, NBA D-League looks like it won't be affected.

http://goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110619/BASKETBALL05/306199909/-1/SPORTS

Possibility of NBA lockout won't stop D-League season
By DUANE RANKIN, Erie Times-News
[email protected]

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement expires June 30, but that Thursday will be just another day in the D-League.

While a potential NBA lockout looms, the D-League is on course to play its 2011-12 season regardless of what happens in negotiations between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association.

"We're full speed ahead in our plans for next season," D-League president Dan Reed said. "It's business as usual for us. ... We're in the midst of developing our schedule right now. We'll be announcing affiliations in a few weeks. This is typically a busy time, and nothing has changed."

The D-League falls under the NBA umbrella, but Reed called it "a separate entity."

"Our decision isn't impacted one way or another," Reed said.

The threat of an NBA lockout and the possibility there won't be a 2011-12 season might leave the D-League a less attractive option for prospects. The D-League sells its players the message that it is a path to the NBA, making hotel living and playing for less than $30,000 a year tolerable.

Reed said he isn't concerned a possible lockout could weaken the talent level of the D-League, considering players might choose to go overseas for more money and the certainty of playing time.

"Our track record speaks for itself in our ability to help our players have successful professional basketball careers," he said. "We're the most heavily scouted league in the world. We don't expect that to change, and we've proven over our 10 seasons to be a high level of basketball and provide outstanding career opportunities for our players."

When the current CBA was approved July 30, 2005, one result was that NBA teams gained the ability to send down first-year or second-year players to their D-League affiliates as many as three times per season.

Reed isn't sure what could come out of the current negotiations that would affect the D-League, but he doesn't foresee the league immediately expanding beyond its existing 17 teams.

The Los Angeles D-Fenders will resume play in 2011-12 after not playing this past season.

"We've been very focused on ensuring our teams are successful," Reed said. "Ensuring NBA teams are utilizing our system, increasing our number of call-up assignments, our businesses, and we've been focused on that in earnest the past two seasons."

Reed said he does expect further expansion "down the road," though.

"It's not something we're actively pursuing now because we're pleased with the size of our league now," he said.

Reed does see a trend developing with NBA teams establishing one-on-one affiliations with D-League teams.

The Erie BayHawks became the third D-League team to establish a hybrid partnership with an NBA team in their three-year deal with the New York Knicks. The BayHawks will run the business side, the Knicks the basketball side.

There are seven total one- on-one affiliate relationships in the league.

"It's a great opportunity for our franchise to have one of the most famous basketball teams in the world to have to make a commitment to us to form a partnership," BayHawks coach Jay Larranaga said.

Reed said the D-League is working with the Cleveland Cavaliers to help them find a way to have a one-on-one affiliate partnership with a D-League team. Recent reports have suggested the Cavs will buy the New Mexico Thunderbirds and move them to Youngstown, Ohio.

"We're working with them on a handful of options to allow them to get more deeply involved in the NBA Development League," Reed said.

Texas D-League Management LLC bought the Colorado 14ers in 2009 and moved them to Frisco, Texas, where they became the expansion Texas Legends.

"We are at a really exciting point of our league," Reed said. "The biggest driver has been our success to date. Last year, there were 104 NBA Development League alumni on NBA team rosters. That's over 20 percent of the NBA. That's a very significant number and that catches people's attention."

Going into the 2010-11 season, the D-League made rule changes that included international goaltending guidelines and reducing the overtime period to three minutes from five minutes.

Reed said those changes were viewed as positive.

"Folks associated with the league and fans generally liked the shorter overtime," Reed said. "It kept the intensity of the game throughout."

As for the international goaltending, Reed said the players seemed to adapt to it as the season progressed.

"There were many exciting plays at the rim this year as a result of that rule," Reed said.

DUANE RANKIN can be reached at 878-2210 or by e-mail.