PDA

View Full Version : Do you bring Caron back for the Finals?

Kai
05-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Or do you not want to mess up a good thing? Jameer Nelson turned out alright a couple years ago.

lil_penny
05-24-2011, 12:07 AM
No way these guys are rollin!

DMC
05-24-2011, 12:09 AM
That would be like the Orlando move when they shelved Alston to get Nelson back on the floor. I felt that cost them any real shot at it because they had a rhythm and Nelson comes in cold. Silly move, understandable based on loyalty but silly nonetheless.

Sean Cagney
05-24-2011, 12:16 AM
That would be like trying to bring Nelson back after they were rolling to the finals! NO NO NO! NO!

DMC beat me to it, great minds think alike there.

Axe Murderer
05-24-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm a HUUUUUUUUGE Butler fan and i still say not this season

MavDynasty
05-24-2011, 12:19 AM
tbh only if the game is out of reach or the offense is complete dogshit.

Sean Cagney
05-24-2011, 12:20 AM

Nick Manning
05-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Mavs are gonna need all the hired guns they can get against Miami's D. Don't see the harm in playing him 10-12 minutes/game off the bench if he can go

endrity
05-24-2011, 12:26 AM
5 minute spurts, at best!

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't see a problem with putting him back in, as long as he is on a much shorter leash. First signs of him disrupting the team chemistry, you have to pull him out. Despite being with the team for awhile, you can't count on his experience to bring him back into fluidity. If he's slowing down the team, it's because of his injury/rustiness and it has to be quickly recognized and taken care of.

Red Hawk #21
05-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Why would you change what's working for you now?

Ghazi
05-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Mavs are gonna need all the hired guns they can get against Miami's D. Don't see the harm in playing him 10-12 minutes/game off the bench if he can go

Miami hasn't seen an offense like Dallas. Philly/Boston/Chicago are all outside the top 11 in offensive efficiency

Although Dallas hasn't seen a defense like Miami, but have played 3 above average defenses this postseason..

endrity
05-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Miami hasn't seen an offense like Dallas. Philly/Boston/Chicago are all outside the top 11 in offensive efficiency

Although Dallas hasn't seen a defense like Miami, but have played 3 above average defenses this postseason..

Post Perkins, the OKC defense was sick statistically. Hollinger was writing how it was probably a top 5 defense in the league or smth. And the Mavs have shredded them outside of game 3.

It's not scoring on them that worries me, but what type of calls they will get at the other end.

midnightpulp
05-24-2011, 12:38 AM
He could be useful in a limited role as another defender the Mavs can throw against Lebron.

DJ Mbenga
05-24-2011, 12:46 AM
when you consider after marion peja is your defense for lebron its a scary thought

midnightpulp
05-24-2011, 12:50 AM
when you consider after marion peja is your defense for lebron its a scary thought

:tu

Yep. Adding him improves their defensive depth at 3, which couldn't hurt.

Kai
05-24-2011, 12:51 AM

Like tonight?

crc21209
05-24-2011, 01:30 AM
You're still not sure what he would be capable of. Why risk screwing up the team, and risking the guy getting hurt again?

HeatChamps
05-24-2011, 01:45 AM
You better get all you have. The team isn't good enough to beat us at the moment.

HornetLoveJones
05-24-2011, 04:16 AM
The ONLY reason to play Butler or even activate him is if it's in an elimination game and Mavs have a sizeable lead in the 4th, only then should he be inserted in the lineup with the likes of Mahinmi, Cardinal, Brewer, etc.

jacobdrj
05-24-2011, 06:44 AM
That would be like the Orlando move when they shelved Alston to get Nelson back on the floor. I felt that cost them any real shot at it because they had a rhythm and Nelson comes in cold. Silly move, understandable based on loyalty but silly nonetheless.

This.

rayjayjohnson
05-24-2011, 07:12 AM
While they're at it, maybe they should bring back Steve Nash...

Ice009
05-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Actually I have been looking at this and think you should bring him back, but don't play him. Why can't he sit on the end of the bench kinda like Udonis Haslem and be there just in case you might need him? You don't have to play him at all, but if you are down in one game and it's out of reach then there is no reason why you couldn't play him and see if he can bring another dimension to the series. I think Caron is a team player and he could accept this.

Leetonidas
05-24-2011, 08:01 AM
While they're at it, maybe they should bring back Steve Nash...

Except that he plays for a different team while Caron Butler doesn't

sefant77
05-24-2011, 09:07 AM
They need to.

Behind Marion they have no one not even close to fitting Lebron. Butler is a smart guy and they played allready two months this season with him...hey they just make a huge comeback with free-flowing the entire last five minutes. They should be able to integrate him within short time.

tlongII
05-24-2011, 09:41 AM
The Mavs aren't going to beat the Heat regardless so why not?

Cane
05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Udonis Haslem would give it a shot.

stretch
05-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I would only do it for an emotional boost at home for a small stretch.

jacobdrj
05-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Haslem was a positive force on an NBA championship team.

Jameer was an overrated PG that has never proven anything at a championship level, and never played as well or as compatibly with the team as his 'replacement' was playing at that moment (I hate Rafer, but he was perfect for that 09 team).

Caron is more Jameer to me than Haslem. Don't bring in Caron except as 6 fouls if you need them. Even that is a stretch. Carlisle is making the right decision...

endrity
05-24-2011, 11:05 AM
You guys do know that we have Peja as Marion's back up right? If Trix gets in foul trouble who the hell are we playing against LeBron? For sure not Peja. And I don't want to see Brewer in the floor much in the Finals. I love his energy, but he is in no way ready for this level.

If Caron can come back, that's only a positive.

Cane
05-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Haslem was a positive force on an NBA championship team.

Jameer was an overrated PG that has never proven anything at a championship level, and never played as well or as compatibly with the team as his 'replacement' was playing at that moment (I hate Rafer, but he was perfect for that 09 team).

Caron is more Jameer to me than Haslem. Don't bring in Caron except as 6 fouls if you need them. Even that is a stretch. Carlisle is making the right decision...

Jameer is also undersized but I agree that he's overrated. Imo he's basically an overrated Nate Robinson: an undersized SG and not really a PG.

Whereas Butler is a legit SF and has been a positive force this season until his injury. It depends on his conditioning but the Mavs could use him especially against the Heat.

mavsfan1000
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
You guys do know that we have Peja as Marion's back up right? If Trix gets in foul trouble who the hell are we playing against LeBron? For sure not Peja. And I don't want to see Brewer in the floor much in the Finals. I love his energy, but he is in no way ready for this level.

If Caron can come back, that's only a positive.
Caron can't guard Lebron either. He is up there with Stojakovic when it comes to defense. Especially since his movement has been hindered badly due to his injury. Just say no to Caron. If we have to, we put Stevenson on Lebron.

stretch
05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Expect the Mavs to play lots of zone against the Heat. They have even less shooters than the Thunder. Force them to win the series with jumpers. If they do, oh well. But chances are, they wont.

rayjayjohnson
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Except that he plays for a different team while Caron Butler doesn't

...slow clap.

endrity
05-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Expect the Mavs to play lots of zone against the Heat. They have even less shooters than the Thunder. Force them to win the series with jumpers. If they do, oh well. But chances are, they wont.

Not necessarily correct, and I think that's a misconception on people's part. They have TONS of players who can get hot shooting the long ball any night.

Bibby, Chalmers, Jones, House, Miller. They'll put anyone or two of these guys around LeBron and Wade to see if anyone is feeling it that specific night. But these guys can and will bust a zone open. This isn't the Lakers here.

Chicago on the other hand, has very few of these guys.

endrity
05-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Caron can't guard Lebron either. He is up there with Stojakovic when it comes to defense. Especially since his movement has been hindered badly due to his injury. Just say no to Caron. If we have to, we put Stevenson on Lebron.

Caron would make him work a bit more, and he's got a stronger upper body to check him at times. You're right though, that his mobility, not great even before, will be even worse now.

I still think he's better than Peja for this series and if he can give it a go, I'd try it.

If we play Chicago though, man that would be nice. Peja could play a lot more in that series, which would be great to open up their defense.

Flux451
05-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Ease him in. Never know what will happen in the Finals. Look at how much PT Haslem is getting now.

Wade will be tough cover for mavs. If Butler can get some legs quick, might be of help