PDA

View Full Version : California officials announce closure of 70 state parks

Capt Bringdown
05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
This land is your land, this land is my land... (http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/05/california-officials-70-state-parks.html#disqus_thread)

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2011/05/13/15/CCCASTLECRAGS.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2011/05/13/15/TRAVELCARMEL015.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2011/05/13/15/RPCHINACAMPLEDE.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

Winehole23
05-24-2011, 10:03 AM
What a bringdown. We still live in the bummer universe, most of us were born there.

They're taking away (i.e. temporarily closing) our State parks.What a bummer.

boutons_deux
05-24-2011, 10:19 AM
All parks are out-of-control govt overreach.

They should all be sold off/privatized to property developers.

DarrinS
05-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Jerry Brown (D.)

George Gervin's Afro
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Jerry Brown (D.)

:lmao

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
:lmao

lol...indeed. Darrinbot is on a roll today!

'sup GGA?:toast

boutons_deux
05-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Yep, Barry caused the price of gas to go up, and Jerry caused the CA budget disaster.

Perry and the Repugs had nothing to do with TX $20B+ deficit.

Wild Cobra
05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
All parks are out-of-control govt overreach.

They should all be sold off/privatized to property developers.
I agree with you for once about being sold, but not to developers. Then you would then complain about the capitalists who buy them!

What don't get is how this is as big a problem as other things. Don't these state parks charge a fee? Aren't most financially self sustaining? I know that some lose money and some make money, but isn't the overall revenue more than the operating costs?

I have bought annual permits for two systems here in Oregon. If all of a sudden, the parks liked were closed, I wouldn't be buying a permit the next year.

I wonder how that will affect future park revenues? How many people feel the same as me?

clambake
05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree with you for once, except you would then complain about the capitalists who buy them!

What don't get is how this is as big a problem as other things. Don't these state parks charge a fee? Aren't most financially self sustaining? I know that some lose money and some make money, but isn't the overall revenue more than the operating costs?

I have bought annual permits for two systems here in Oregon. If all of a sudden, the parks liked were closed, I wouldn't be buying a permit the next year.

I wonder how that will affect future park revenues? How many people feel the same as me?

i'd rather pay for your park visit as opposed to paying for your healthcare.

George Gervin's Afro
05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
lol...indeed. Darrinbot is on a roll today!

'sup GGA?:toast

we're still employed!

MannyIsGod
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Such a shame. I'm taking a road trip this weekend that will take me through 3 national parks and at least one state park. I would be extremely sad if our countries park systems all closed.

lefty
05-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm not going to California anytime soon, but that sucks for outdoorsy people

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 12:45 PM
we're still employed!

Excellent!:toast

ploto
05-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I really do not know what I would have done with my child growing up without the Texas State Parks-- plus the free Tuesday afternoons at the museums and all the free historical sites like the Alamo and the Missions.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Predictable. They always claim they have to cut police, fire, and parks when there is a budget problem and they want to raise taxes.

Wild Cobra
05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Predictable. They always claim they have to cut police, fire, and parks when there is a budget problem and they want to raise taxes.
LOL...

They do that during many election cycle in Portland. Before the elections, they place in bond measures, cut library hours, and close a few city parks claiming they can't maintain the rest rooms without more money.

baseline bum
05-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree with you for once about being sold, but not to developers. Then you would then complain about the capitalists who buy them!

If assholes like you were in charge every single redwood and Sequoia tree would be part of a picnic table and there would be rollercoasters and log rides in the Yosemite Valley.

4>0rings
05-24-2011, 10:34 PM
If assholes like you were in charge every single redwood and Sequoia tree would be part of a picnic table and there would be rollercoasters and log rides in the Yosemite Valley.
No shit, that bum lives in the wilderness and enjoys his country living and then wants state parks sold.

Capt Bringdown
05-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I really do not know what I would have done with my child growing up without the Texas State Parks-- plus the free Tuesday afternoons at the museums and all the free historical sites like the Alamo and the Missions.

So many great family outings to be had in TX State parks - lots of good memories, myself.

I know that smallish National parks, such as LBJ's boyhood home in Johnson City, senior volunteers are used to watch over & run tours, in exchange for a place to park their RVs. I don't see why similar arrangements wouldn't work for other parks at risk of being shuttered. One could imagine Boy Scout troops or other volunteer operations, overseeing some park operations - certainly better than closing parks I would think.

Or they could do like it's done in here in Thailand, there's a lazy guard stationed in a shack at the gate to collect entry fees, and anything you do beyond that is pretty much up to you. Again, better than shutting down parks altogether.

coyotes_geek
05-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Certainly true that virtually every state and local government plays this card. But in this case, I really don't think it's a smokescreen. They've got issues.

Winehole23
05-25-2011, 01:02 PM
lol @ so-called board conservatives spinning spending cuts in CA as a stunt and "blaming" Jerry Brown.

George Gervin's Afro
05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
lol @ so-called board conservatives spinning spending cuts in CA as a stunt and "blaming" Jerry Brown.

darrins missed that ..if he would have taken a second to realizxe what he was doing he probably wouldn't have started the thread... he was against spending cuts before he was for them...

next darrins thread: Brown closes 70 parks due to teacher unions!

jack sommerset
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Such a shame. I'm taking a road trip this weekend that will take me through 3 national parks and at least one state park. I would be extremely sad if our countries park systems all closed.

HaHa.......You're a faggot! Thanks Brah, that mad my day.

George Gervin's Afro
05-25-2011, 03:48 PM
HaHa.......You're a faggot! Thanks Brah, that mad my day.

welcome back dumbass

Capt Bringdown
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
As more parks are closed nationwide, I wonder if we'll see more of this kind of vigilante-ism:

Campground closed in 2009 illegally reopened (Michigan) (http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/563100/Campground-closed-in-2009-illegally-reopened.html?nav=5006)

The West Branch State Forest Campground, situated along the West Branch of the Escanaba River, was among a dozen of the rustic campgrounds closed by the DNR in 2009, including six in the Upper Peninsula, because of budget shortfalls.

As it did at those other campgrounds, the DNR locked the restrooms at the West Branch campground, dug a ditch across the entrance road, using the dirt for a blocking berm, and put boulders across the park entrance. (WTF?)

But recently, perhaps over the Memorial Day weekend, someone illegally re-opened the campground. Grass at two of the campsites had been mowed, as well as along a short path toward the river. The campsites are nearest restrooms, which had their door handles and locks broken away.

Wild Cobra
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
As more parks are closed nationwide, I wonder if we'll see more of this kind of vigilante-ism:

Campground closed in 2009 illegally reopened (Michigan) (http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/563100/Campground-closed-in-2009-illegally-reopened.html?nav=5006)
Well, if they are public parks, they should be left open. Right?

George Gervin's Afro
06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Well, if they are public parks, they should be left open. Right?

who would maintain the parks?

boutons_deux
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
"who would maintain the parks"

Disney? Universal Studios? Privatize them all, then $200/day for entrance only, and $200/night for a campsite.

boutons_deux
06-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Off-Roaders Seek Takeover of California Parks

http://yubanet.com/california/Off-Roaders-Seek-Takeover-of-California-Parks.php

Wild Cobra
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
who would maintain the parks?
Do all parks need maintained?

Capt Bringdown
07-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Vandals trash closed state parks (Minnesota) (http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/125028954.html)

Vandals went wild at abandoned Minnesota state parks over the holiday weekend, wrecking buildings and driving around closed gates as the government shutdown drags toward its second week.

An administrative building was ransacked, Hutton said. A digital video recorder, bullhorn and other items were stolen. Two of the park's four camper cabins -- all built within the past two years -- were burglarized and damaged. At one of them, wooden shingles and steps were removed for firewood and writing was scrawled on the walls in marker or paint, he said.

"Would this have occurred if the state government hadn't shut down? Absolutely not," Hutton said. "Those buildings would have been rented out, and park personnel would have been there going about their business."