PDA

View Full Version : Texas Judge Blocks Naming Street For Cesar Chavez Amid Fears Of The ‘Minority Becomin

boutons_deux
05-24-2011, 04:15 PM
“It is very important that we protect the integrity of our history, and that includes objecting to changing street names,” said Bill Oliver, who represents the San Antonio Conservation Society, which sued to oppose the name change.

But Jaime Martinez, a longtime San Antonio labor leader and a former associate of Chavez, who died in 1993, disagreed.

“We’ve been waiting for fifteen years to get the renaming of a street, a major street, for Cesar Chavez,” Martinez said. “There are over 200 streets in the last 10 years that had their names changed, and there was no problem.”

“This action feels different to me,” he said. “It feels like a political majority is pushing its will, and it doesn’t have to.” [...]

“The political majority should concern us all, particularly for a group of folks that have been in the minority that are moving to a majority. We must be sure that everyone that does that understands the absolute responsibility that comes with being in the majority.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/24/texas-cesar-chavez-street/

===========

Very definitely White vs Brown conflict.

Chavez was both Hispanic AND labor organizer, so genetically conservatives hate him.

z0sa
05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
lol constantly asserting anyone who doesn't agree with you is a racist

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 04:22 PM
“It is very important that we protect the integrity of our history, and that includes objecting to changing street names,” said Bill Oliver, who represents the San Antonio Conservation Society, which sued to oppose the name change.

But Jaime Martinez, a longtime San Antonio labor leader and a former associate of Chavez, who died in 1993, disagreed.

“We’ve been waiting for fifteen years to get the renaming of a street, a major street, for Cesar Chavez,” Martinez said. “There are over 200 streets in the last 10 years that had their names changed, and there was no problem.”

“This action feels different to me,” he said. “It feels like a political majority is pushing its will, and it doesn’t have to.” [...]

“The political majority should concern us all, particularly for a group of folks that have been in the minority that are moving to a majority. We must be sure that everyone that does that understands the absolute responsibility that comes with being in the majority.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/05/24/texas-cesar-chavez-street/

===========

Chavez was both Hispanic AND labor organizer, so genetically conservatives hate him.

Fucking bot. Did you miss "State District Judge Antonia Arteaga"? http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Obviously a German judge.

Drachen
05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I was listening to a story about this when I was driving to work this morning. The reason that the restraining order was issued was because City of SA didn't follow their own rules regarding renaming. I think it was something like 80% of the residents on the street must vote and the yes votes must account for 66% of the vote (incidentally the city of san antonio got 7.... votes, not percent, votes).

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't mind arguing a case or two in her court.
http://www.bexar.org/Judges/JudgeArteaga.jpg

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I was listening to a story about this when I was driving to work this morning. The reason that the restraining order was issued was because City of SA didn't follow their own rules regarding renaming. I think it was something like 80% of the residents on the street must vote and the yes votes must account for 66% of the vote (incidentally the city of san antonio got 7.... votes, not percent, votes).

Fucking VWRC!

Drachen
05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Fucking VWRC!

GFY Teysha!!!

Winehole23
05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
lol judge blocks...amid fears

fyatuk
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Except that it was Hispanic v everything else.

TeyshaBlue
GFY Teysha!!!

Again?:depressed :lol :lol

TeyshaBlue
Except that it was Hispanic v everything else.

boutonsbot is has about zero ability to use reason.

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 04:31 PM
But, man. Can that bot mine rss feeds!

coyotes_geek
05-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Nonsense. The only logical explaination here is that San Antonio hates latinos.

z0sa
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Very definitely White vs Brown conflict

:wakeup

boutons_deux
05-24-2011, 04:56 PM
"the seven Hispanic members of San Antonio City Council all voted in favor of the name change, while the two white members, the one African-American and the one Asian-American member voted no."

brown vs white+black+yellow :lol

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Now you bother to read the article. Nice.http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

Wild Cobra
05-24-2011, 05:19 PM
lol constantly asserting anyone who doesn't agree with you is a racist
They did that in Portland. Changed several street names.

My question is, shouldn't the advocates be paying for this? The city shouldn't pay for the costs, especially if they are strapped for money.

coyotes_geek
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
They did that in Portland. Changed several street names.

My question is, shouldn't the advocates be paying for this? The city shouldn't pay for the costs, especially if they are strapped for money.

The city is an advocate. So yeah, the city should pay for the costs.

DarrinS
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Clearly, there needs to be more shit named after this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_named_after_C%C3%A9sar_Ch%C3%A1vez

ChumpDumper
05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Methodology aside, what is the limit of things being names for a public figure, Darrin?

Give us a number.

DarrinS
05-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Methodology aside, what is the limit of things being names for a public figure, Darrin?

Give us a number.

Give him another street. As long as it's not my street, I don't really care.

The people that DO care are people that have to change their address.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Give him another street. As long as it's not my street, I don't really care.Sure sounded like it when you said he had enough/too much "shit" named after him.

The people that DO care are people that have to change their address.Does Bill Oliver live on Durango? He said nothing about having to change his address.

Nbadan
05-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Fucking bot. Did you miss "State District Judge Antonia Arteaga"? http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

Not saying that this applies to this case, but hispanics can be very non-tolerant of other hispanics....particularly if the hispanic came from a well-to-do family in Mexico...asserting that this is not possible is logic fail....

Nbadan
05-24-2011, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't mind arguing a case or two in her court.
http://www.bexar.org/Judges/JudgeArteaga.jpg

...she's obviously a HINO...

Wild Cobra
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
The city is an advocate. So yeah, the city should pay for the costs.
That's not the job of the city, and the elected officials shouldn't abuse their authority for their agenda.

4>0rings
05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Don't we have better things to spend city our money on?

Wild Cobra
05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't have a problem with naming a street after a prominent US citizen. I just have a problem with changing a street that already has a name, and believe some non government agency should bear the costs. On top of that, everyone affected needs a say in the matter.

39th Avenue in Portland was recently changed to César Chávez. Once they finally settled on a numbered street, there was still the valid complaint of businesses and residences having to change their address. There is also a huge update that the US Postal system must do, which was talked about here in Portland.

This process is real troublesome. I wish only new streets would be used for such things.

TeyshaBlue
05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Not saying that this applies to this case, but hispanics can be very non-tolerant of other hispanics....particularly if the hispanic came from a well-to-do family in Mexico...asserting that this is not possible is logic fail....

Not logic fail. You need to establish this pattern of behavior with said judge before logic e even considers making an appearance. Speculation fail? Perhaps.

Nbadan
05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Not logic fail. You need to establish this pattern of behavior with said judge before logic e even considers making an appearance. Speculation fail? Perhaps.

The logic fail was implying that because someone is hispanic, they are immune from bias against other hispanics....but I'll settle for speculation fail...

Nbadan
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
This process is real troublesome. I wish only new streets would be used for such things.

You wanna name a street in the burbs after Ceaser Chavez?

:lol

Nbadan
05-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Don't we have better things to spend city our money on?

...like an emergency bill to put the thoughest retrictions in the country on a woman's right to choose what happens to her body, right?

LnGrrrR
05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
...she's obviously a HINO...

Hot Immigrant Needing Orgams?

I agree. :tu

SA210
05-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, racism is the issue.

Das Texan
05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
City of San Antonio should have followed their own fucking procedures, not basically thumbed their noses at it publically saying the city can do whatever the fucking city wants to do.

They follow their own procedures in place for changing a street name, and it passes, no big fucking deal.

The city council again proving how beyond worthless they are after already proving how unethical they are time and time again.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2011, 10:37 PM

:lol

Are you that stupid? It's not like he is famous for organizing legal secretaries. Change the name of "Old Highway 90" to CCB...

Ginobilly
05-25-2011, 01:15 AM
LMAO:lmao:lmao at San Antonio politicians not realizing that Durango is a Hispanic name also and a better one than Cesar Chavez.

Ginobilly
05-25-2011, 01:31 AM
LMAO:lmao:lmao at San Antonio politicians not realizing that Durango is a Hispanic name also and a better one than Cesar Chavez.

It appears I'm wrong. It's actually a Basque name that descends from Durango, Biscay Spain. Whether you consider Basque names Hispanic is up to you'll. Their language and their origins are not Hispanic.

coyotes_geek
05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
That's not the job of the city, and the elected officials shouldn't abuse their authority for their agenda.

Naming streets are the job of the city, including changing names if the community, and more importantly those who live & work on that street, deem it worthy. That being said, you're right that the elected officials shouldn't abuse their authority as appears to be the case here.

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Are you that stupid? It's not like he is famous for organizing legal secretaries. Change the name of "Old Highway 90" to CCB...
Who's paying for the costs of the name change?

MannyIsGod
05-25-2011, 08:33 AM
This is the kind of shit that pisses me off regarding crying racism. I don't fucking care about a street name. I care the money the GGL funnled to all the white areas of town while leaving the rest to rot and the infrastructure implications it has on streets in those areas 50 years later.

PS Darrin contradicts himself in two posts yet again. Such a great skill.

DarrinS
05-25-2011, 09:59 AM
This is the kind of shit that pisses me off regarding crying racism. I don't fucking care about a street name. I care the money the GGL funnled to all the white areas of town while leaving the rest to rot and the infrastructure implications it has on streets in those areas 50 years later.

PS Darrin contradicts himself in two posts yet again. Such a great skill.

I don't know why you're bitching about me. I actually agree with you.

Stupid to want the street renamed. Stupid to try to block the street from being renamed. Stupid issue really.

RandomGuy
05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
It appears I'm wrong. It's actually a Basque name that descends from Durango, Biscay Spain. Whether you consider Basque names Hispanic is up to you'll. Their language and their origins are not Hispanic.

There are an awful lot of words in Spanish that have non-latin roots.

Many spanish surnames that end in -es or -ez were originally German in orgin.

Gonzales = Gunzeles = "of Gunzel"
Martinez = "of Martin"
Rodriguez = Roderikes = "of Roderik"
(used to show lineage, before there were formal surnames, Bob, the son of Frank, would be "Bob Frankes")

etc. Comes from the Vikings and sailors the settled in the northern parts of Spain. Also get some that were, by my guess, mercenaries for the Romans. Anzaldua = "Auswalder" = "man from the forest"

There is also the fun stuff from Arabic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_influence_on_the_Spanish_language
Barrio = area or district
Guadalupe = Wadi al Hub = Valley of Love
The "guada" in place names invariably comes from the Arabic word "wadi" for "valley/gully".

Spain sits at something of a crossroads, and the language reflects that.

Drachen
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
There are an awful lot of words in Spanish that have non-latin roots.

Many spanish surnames that end in -es or -ez were originally German in orgin.

Gonzales = Gunzeles = "of Gunzel"
Martinez = "of Martin"
Rodriguez = Roderikes = "of Roderik"
(used to show lineage, before there were formal surnames, Bob, the son of Frank, would be "Bob Frankes")

etc. Comes from the Vikings and sailors the settled in the northern parts of Spain. Also get some that were, by my guess, mercenaries for the Romans. Anzaldua = "Auswalder" = "man from the forest"

There is also the fun stuff from Arabic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_influence_on_the_Spanish_language
Barrio = area or district
Guadalupe = Wadi al Hub = Valley of Love
The "guada" in place names invariably comes from the Arabic word "wadi" for "valley/gully".

Spain sits at something of a crossroads, and the language reflects that.
The OG melting pot!

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't know why you're bitching about me. I actually agree with you.

Stupid to want the street renamed. Stupid to try to block the street from being renamed. Stupid issue really.
Well, I would say that the groups that have a say are the ones that are willing to bear the costs of changing a name outside of tax revenues, and the ones that live at the existing addresses, who these changes are imposed upon. Every property owner on the existing street should have a vote on the topic think. Maybe renters too.

CosmicCowboy
05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
They should name the produce terminal for him.

cdcast
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
If they were naming it Ronald Reagan Drive, Darrin, WC, and Jack would have no problem with that.

Whenever there's a thread about minorities in here or the club, these 3 fucks crawl out of their caves. We get it, you hate minorities. GFY

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
If they were naming it Ronald Reagan Drive, Darrin, WC, and Jack would have no problem with that.

Whenever there's a thread about minorities in here or the club, these 3 fucks crawl out of their caves. We get it, you hate minorities. GFY
Wrong.

How do you live any type of good life with so much hatred and prejudice in your heart?

ChumpDumper
05-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Wrong.

How do you live any type of good life with so much hatred and prejudice in your heart?He gives a lot of credit to his black doctor.

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 08:30 PM
He gives a lot of credit to his black doctor.
Are you saying black doctors are bad?

ChumpDumper
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Are you saying black doctors are bad?I was telling you how he lives a good life, dumbass.

SA210
07-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Looks like a go.

SAN ANTONIO -- The Cesar Chavez Legacy Foundation has declared victory in their fight to rename Durango Boulevard. The group held a press conference Thursday afternoon at the Cesar Chavez Service Center.

"We went through obstacles, barriers but we have the spirit of continuing to recognize the legacy of a great American (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Cesar-Chavez-supporters-declare-victory-in-fight/Wdu8I_9ZhkiGZPmpib6Thg.cspx#) role model Like Cesar Chavez," says Jaime P. Martinez, President of the Cesar Chavez Legacy Foundation.

This comes one day after State District Judge Renee F. McElhaney ruled in favor of the Chavez Legacy Foundation and lifted the temporary restraining order and permanent injunction the San Antonio Conservation Society filed in an effort to stop the renaming.

"It will give me a feeling of San Antonio has it right, uniting east to west, a bridge of unity," says Martinez.

The next step now is to put up the signs that will read Cesar E. Chavez Blvd. Martinez believes the signs will be up in about three weeks and will cost the city of San Antonio about $100,000.

When asked why Durango Boulevard was chosen, Martinez said, "That's an education in itself, because children will be looking at the street, and they'll be learning (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Cesar-Chavez-supporters-declare-victory-in-fight/Wdu8I_9ZhkiGZPmpib6Thg.cspx#) generations to come about who was our hero Cesar Chavez."

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Cesar-Chavez-supporters-declare-victory-in-fight/Wdu8I_9ZhkiGZPmpib6Thg.cspx

Drachen
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Looks like a go.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Cesar-Chavez-supporters-declare-victory-in-fight/Wdu8I_9ZhkiGZPmpib6Thg.cspx

I have a question that I would like to put to the forum. How many times, as a child while you were in the back seat did you gaze out your car window and watch the passing street signs and think to yourself "I must make a mental note of these green and white signs so that the next time my mom takes me to the library I can learn the great history of the lives of "Kneupper", "Bridget", "North", or "Seventh"?

had to be thousands of times for myself.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I have a question that I would like to put to the forum. How many times, as a child while you were in the back seat did you gaze out your car window and watch the passing street signs and think to yourself "I must make a mental note of these green and white signs so that the next time my mom takes me to the library I can learn the great history of the lives of "Kneupper", "Bridget", "North", or "Seventh"?

Honestly I always wondered who McDermott was and how the hell he had a highway named after him as teen. Then I thought it was cool that the names of certain streets were based on what towns they went to IE Bandera Rd, Fredricksburg, Austin Hwy.

xrayzebra
07-22-2011, 03:22 PM

It's all BS anyhow. The guy who went before city council to argue that
the street should be re-named was at some fast food joint a couple of
weeks ago protesting some lady getting fired.

I would love to come back a 100 years from now and see how many
Barry streets we have in the world.

baseline bum
07-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Honestly I always wondered who McDermott was and how the hell he had a highway named after him as teen. Then I thought it was cool that the names of certain streets were based on what towns they went to IE Bandera Rd, Fredricksburg, Austin Hwy.

Was Cherry Street named after a really hot stripper/hooker?

Winehole23
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
(wayback machine. The version I heard growing up was you could get a hooker there. I suspect that was bs, but I never checked.)

Drachen
07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
(wayback machine. The version I heard growing up was you could get a hooker there. I suspect that was bs, but I never checked.)

used to pressure wash exxons all over the city, the first time I drove on that street I was at a stop light and noticed I kept getting blinded. I was like WTF! My co-worker points on the corner across the street and there was a guy there reflecting his zippo to grab my attention and when I looked he motioned to three girls standing near him.

Drachen
07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I mean, he MIGHT not have been a pimp, he might have been some guy saying "wow, look at these girls, they look skanky don't they"

Winehole23
07-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Cherry Street/commercial sex connection, check.

Trainwreck2100
07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
The next step now is to put up the signs that will read Cesar E. Chavez Blvd. Martinez believes the signs will be up in about three weeks and will cost the city of San Antonio about $100,000.

yeah cause we're shitting money as it is.

DarrinS
07-22-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/pics/5399.jpg

Drachen
07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Please DarrinS

ChumpDumper
07-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Cherry Street/commercial sex connection, check.I really don't want to know what a rundberg is.

Homeland Security
07-23-2011, 12:50 AM
I can't believe that butthurt Anglos turned this into a national story. Pathetic.

Winehole23
07-23-2011, 01:59 AM
I really don't want to know what a rundberg is.Don't ever take a wrong turn on Georgian.

spursncowboys
07-23-2011, 02:11 AM
"the seven Hispanic members of San Antonio City Council all voted in favor of the name change, while the two white members, the one African-American and the one Asian-American member voted no."

brown vs white+black+yellow :lol

So the hispanic council members are racist?

spursncowboys
07-23-2011, 02:14 AM

:lolif we are going by context then shouldnt it be a farm road? maybe one known for growing fruit?

Wild Cobra
07-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Again, do you guys realize the costs involved in changing a street name? What about the expenses to businesses operating on a given street? All,the changes on web sites, business cards, mailers, etc.

You can take the politics completely out of it and just look at how ridiculous the costs are. Will the advocates pay for all these costs? If the advocate is a government agency, then I say hell no, the tax payer should not be paying these costs.

When it comes to the Postal Service, they are strapped for money already. Any ides how a whole street in redundant addresses affects them? They have to maintain both addresses for several years. I don't know how many years, but they have that much more work.

SA210
07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I'd rather them spend 100k or so tax dollars on honoring a civil rights leader and educating people of his name and who he was, than spending billions of taxpayers money by sending thousands to their death in an unnecessary war against a country with no WMD's.