PDA

View Full Version : Democrat Kathy Hochul wins New York's 26th congressional district

DMX7
05-24-2011, 10:06 PM
The most conservative district in New York goes Blue.

"Democrats scored an upset in one of New York’s most conservative Congressional districts on Tuesday, dealing a blow to the national Republican Party in a race that largely turned on the party’s plan to overhaul Medicare.

The results set off elation among Democrats and soul-searching among Republicans, who questioned whether the party should rethink its commitment to the Medicare plan, which appears to have become a liability as 2012 elections loom.

Two months ago, the Democrat, Kathy Hochul, was considered an all-but-certain loser in the race against Jane Corwin. But Ms. Hochul seized on her Republican rival’s embrace of the proposal from Representative Paul D. Ryan, Republican of Wisconsin, to overhaul Medicare, and she never let up.

Voters, who turned out in strikingly large numbers for a special election, said they trusted Ms. Hochul, the county clerk of Erie County, to protect Medicare.

“I have almost always voted the party line,” said Gloria Bolender, a Republican from Clarence who is caring for her 80-year-old mother. “This is the second time in my life I’ve voted against my party.”

Pat Gillick, a Republican from East Amherst, who also cast a ballot for Ms. Hochul, said, “The privatization of Medicare scares me.'"

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/nyregion/democrat-capture-house-seat-in-special-election.html

George Gervin's Afro
05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
It' the will of the people...

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Someone remind me please.

How can people be convince a democrat pretending to be tea party, should be elected?

Capt Bringdown
05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Pat Gillick, a Republican from East Amherst, who also cast a ballot for Ms. Hochul, said, “The privatization of Medicare scares me.'"

Agreed, Medicare for all.

George Gervin's Afro
05-25-2011, 09:48 AM

How can people be convince a democrat pretending to be tea party, should be elected?

can someone translate this into english?

RandomGuy
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Butt says what?

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 11:12 AM

She was blatantly against the tea party/Ryan suicidal litmus test of destroying Medicare.

TeyshaBlue
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/handtwo.jpg

fraga
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten bigger play...this was huge...proof that the stupid Ryan kill Medicare bill is NOT what Americans and old people want...good luck Republicans...you are now officially pissing in the wind...

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/handtwo.jpg
I'm speaking of the third party candidate that took conservative votes.

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Jack Davis was a democrat who ran as a third party Tea party candidate. He took 9% of the vote. Surely the republican would have gained those votes if he wasn't a spoiler.

What can I say. Most voters are stupid.

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 09:06 PM
"Surely the republican would have gained those votes if he wasn't a spoiler."

Surely, you're full of biased bullshit.

He used to run as a Dem. So it's more realistic to assume his 9% would have been split 50-50, leaving a huge margin of victory with Hochul.

Trainwreck2100
05-25-2011, 09:21 PM

I hate almost everything you stand for

but no shit most voters are stupid.

I think most political forumers would agree the vast majority of American voters are fucking idiots.

Capt Bringdown
05-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Jack Davis was a democrat who ran as a third party Tea party candidate. He took 9% of the vote. Surely the republican would have gained those votes if he wasn't a spoiler.

LOL, your FauxNews Bot talking points failed again. Of course, the facts tell a different story:

It is difficult to attach a political label to Mr. Davis, whose views combine economic populism (he abhors free trade) with libertarianism (he supports both gun rights and abortion rights).He once said, after a congressman sent sexually suggestive messages to young pages, that he would have used a bat on anyone who had done the same thing to one of his sons. He also predicted that states with large numbers of Mexican immigrants would secede and start a second Civil War.

Mr. Davis started off as a Republican in the mold of Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan. But he left the party in 2004, largely because he felt it did not share his concerns over multinational corporations benefiting from trade policies that hurt American workers.

He became a Democrat that year and spent $1.4 million in an unsuccessful effort to unseat Mr. Reynolds. Two years later, he poured $2.4 million into another failed campaign to defeat Mr. Reynolds. After Mr. Reynolds retired in 2008, Mr. Davis ran for Congress again, spending $1.7 million in a losing bid for the Democratic nomination. Christopher Lee, a Republican businessman, won the seat.

The seat became vacant in February when Mr. Lee resigned after he e-mailed a woman a shirtless photo of himself and it appeared on the Internet. Mr. Davis entered the race, seeking the Republican nomination, as Democratic leaders got behind Ms. Hochul, the Erie County clerk. But after failing to secure the Republican bid, Mr. Davis gathered enough signatures to run on the Tea Party line.

Hoping Third Party Is Charm, Industrialist Jolts House Race (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/nyregion/jack-davis-makes-tea-party-bid-in-ny-congressional-race.html?pagewanted=1)

George Gervin's Afro
05-26-2011, 08:01 AM

What can I say. Most voters/ tea partiers are stupid.