PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Bonner or Blair - who is the more stifling post defender?

Calispursfan11
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I would say Bonner looks slightly more impressive as he is getting dunked on by starter-grade bigs than Blair. Thoughts?

jeebus
05-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Blair has a better angry ball grab after getting scored on. He slams that thing into his hand as he walks with his head down to inbound the ball.

This is a tough choice :(

Leetonidas
05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Easily Bonner. At least Bonner busts his ass out there, he just sucks ass, is extremely slow and nonathletic and weak. Blair should be better, even for his size, because he's so wide but he gets dominated out there by anyone with even a semblance of a post game.

Calispursfan11
05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Blair has a better angry ball grab after getting scored on. He slams that thing into his hand as he walks with his head down to inbound the ball.

This is a tough choice :(

I like how Bonner always has his hands up. It's fundamentally sound although usually ineffective given his natural lack of athletic ability and the fact that he is not even a second string NBA level defender. Blair just looks like a leprechaun out there. It's so sad to watch him reach and hop for the ball as guys like Gasol hold it too high for him to grab. Go find that man his pot o' gold!

Calispursfan11
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Easily Bonner. At least Bonner busts his ass out there, he just sucks ass, is extremely slow and nonathletic and weak. Blair should be better, even for his size, because he's so wide but he gets dominated out there by anyone with even a semblance of a post game.

I tend to agree that it's Bonner, but I think the contest is pretty close. Pick your poison. It is horrific to watch regardless of which one is out there. But, when they are both out there at the same time then god help us. The Blair/Bonner combo = layup drill time for the other team and automatic loss of any double digit lead within minutes. Pop should heed these facts.

Calispursfan11
05-24-2011, 11:01 PM
This leads to another valid question. Would Novak be a better option? God help us we shouldn't even be contemplating such things.

Leetonidas
05-24-2011, 11:04 PM
This leads to another valid question. Would Novak be a better option? God help us we shouldn't even be contemplating such things.

Dude, did you see Novak play? He hustles, but he is not a better defender than Blair and Bonner, if that's even possible. :wow But I would rather see Novak out there instead of the Blair/Bonner combo because that shit is just maddening to watch. :pctoss

Calispursfan11
05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Dude, did you see Novak play? He hustles, but he is not a better defender than Blair and Bonner, if that's even possible. :wow But I would rather see Novak out there instead of the Blair/Bonner combo because that shit is just maddening to watch. :pctoss

I have to ask, why would Pop ever play Blair and Bonner together? It goes against all reason and also all that is holy and good in this world.

Capt Bringdown
05-24-2011, 11:10 PM

All of them, Bonner/Blair/Novak, are strictly last-off-the-bench garbage time players. The fact that Pop attempted to turn these turds into rotation players is a glaring indication that we are well into a period of decline and irrelevance.

Rather like a repeat of those wonderful Vinnie Del Negro/Lloyd Daniels/Sidney Green times...

TwelveGs210
05-24-2011, 11:12 PM
cant remember too many occasions of Bonner smiling after fucking up..tough one though

Calispursfan11
05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
All of them, Bonner/Blair/Novak, are strictly last-off-the-bench garbage time players. The fact that these Pop attempted to turn these turds into rotation players is a glaring indication that we are well into a period of decline.

Rather like a repeat of those wonderful Vinnie Del Negro/Lloyd Daniels/Sidney Green times...

Oh no, not the return of the Vinnie Del Negro and Lloyd Daniels-esque days... Did you know that Daniels had an IQ of like 13? We are definitely in for some hard times!

TwelveGs210
05-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Wunderlich matchup of the millenium..

Lloyd Daniels vs Vince Young

TwelveGs210
05-24-2011, 11:30 PM

TJastal
05-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Blair at least presents a sizeable obstacle out on the court and can rebound well for his size. Bonner is basically a speedbump out there.

Capt Bringdown
05-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Blair at least presents a sizeable obstacle out on the court and can rebound well for his size. Bonner is basically a speedbump out there.

Bonner's "defense" such that it is, was much better than Blair's against Memphis. Blair was very much exposed as a low-IQ spazz in that series - but let's face it, even journeyman/nobody Nazr Mohammed outperformed Dice/Bonner/Blair. That shows you how far we've fallen off.

It really is like trying to find an upside to the likes of Sidney Green. Well, there's this and that, but...nahh, these dudes just flat-out suck.

ElNono
05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
It's like picking between a turd sandwich and a giant douche...

http://umtailgate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/GiantDoucheturdsandwich.jpg

TJastal
05-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Bonner's "defense" such that it is, was much better than Blair's against Memphis. Blair was very much exposed as a low-IQ spazz in that series - but let's face it, even journeyman/nobody Nazr Mohammed outperformed Dice/Bonner/Blair. That shows you how far we've fallen off.

It really is like trying to find an upside to the likes of Sidney Green. Well, there's this and that, but...nahh, these dudes just flat-out suck.

Well, its hard to really make a judgment on Blair when he played only limited minutes in the first game IIRC. I'm not sure he had enough time to even make adjustments. I would be my bottom dollar that he would have been a better option in the long haul than Bonner to the physicality of Randolph/Gasol matchup. As I recall, Bonner's feeble pathetic attempts to front his man usually resulted in easy entry passes for either scores or fouls, or other guys (namely Tim Duncan) having to leave their man to provide help, thus opening up the defense to be picked apart by precision passing, which the grizzlies obliged repeatedly.

Capt Bringdown
05-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, its hard to really make a judgment on Blair when he played only limited minutes in the first game IIRC. I'm not sure he had enough time to even make adjustments. I would be my bottom dollar that he would have been a better option in the long haul than Bonner to the physicality of Randolph/Gasol matchup.

Blair vs Randolph/Gasol? More physical yes, but still a horrible matchup in terms of size, skill and smarts IMO.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the chances of Blair playing adequate/effective D against those two are less than zero.

It seems to me that from those rare "OMG, Blair's beasting!" games (which invariably occur during the regular season) Pop has extrapolated the notion that Blair can be an effective rotation player.
It ain't happening.

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Matt Bonner was able to stifle the Spurs with both his offense and defense. I give it to the Red Rocket.

TJastal
05-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Matt Bonner was able to stifle the Spurs with both his offense and defense. I give it to the Red Rocket.

Is there any coincidence that since Bonner has averaged 20 minutes a game in the playoffs since 2008 the spurs have had two 1st round exits and a 2nd round sweep?

And as a reward he gets a new 4 year deal? Just how stupid is Popovich? Apparently, REALLY fucking stupid.

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Is there any coincidence that since Bonner has averaged 20 minutes a game in the playoffs since 2008 the spurs have had two 1st round exits and a 2nd round sweep?

And as a reward he gets a new 4 year deal? Just how stupid is Popovich? Apparently, REALLY fucking stupid.

Matt Bonner's playing time and contract are just one of the symptoms.
Splitter's lack of playing time is another symptom.
Manu getting hurt in a meaningless game is another symptom.
Lack of putting another decent big besides TD is another one.
Feel free to add.

So after looking at all the symptoms above and any that can be added, it's easy to diagnose the disease. It's Pop.

dbestpro
05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
I like how Bonner always has his hands up. It's fundamentally sound although usually ineffective given his natural lack of athletic ability and the fact that he is not even a second string NBA level defender.

When Bonner holds his arms up they still don't extend past the top of his head. He'd be better off trying to block shots with his face.

Cessation
05-25-2011, 05:55 PM
So much win in this thread, lol. I think it's blair, it's only his second season, might be some hope for him to get better yet. He'll still get people draining practice jumpers in his face, but at least not many bigs have that kind of touch and he can use his strength to hold his position in the post.

On the other hand Ginger has been in sa for a while, no hope for him. He'll be getting worse, if that's even possible, being on the wrong side of 30, when he'll start to lose his "athletisism". Bonner gets worked every which way, he might as well be invisible out there, as far the opposing player is concerned.

Calispursfan11
05-25-2011, 09:57 PM

Haha, LOL. I meant stifling to the other team, but good one Cantthink!

Calispursfan11
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Will anyone stand up and defend Bonner or Blair as a legit and exceptional defender? Anyone? I'd like to see one person who thinks they can dominate the defensively in the post. If you are out there, please chime in.

Calispursfan11
05-25-2011, 11:10 PM
It's like picking between a turd sandwich and a giant douche...

http://umtailgate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/GiantDoucheturdsandwich.jpg

Is the giant douche Bonner, eating the turd hoagie?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/bonner_sh_1_091212_350.jpg

Calispursfan11
05-25-2011, 11:14 PM

I heard Vince Young can at least read. I don't think Daniels could.

pancakechef
05-26-2011, 06:43 AM
I tend to agree that it's Bonner, but I think the contest is pretty close. Pick your poison. It is horrific to watch regardless of which one is out there. But, when they are both out there at the same time then god help us. The Blair/Bonner combo = layup drill time for the other team and automatic loss of any double digit lead within minutes. Pop should heed these facts.

Blair had the best defensive stats out of any bigs during the reg season. Good post though....

Cessation
05-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Chazley would defend ginger, and blair.

Calispursfan11
05-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Chazley would defend ginger, and blair.

Is Chazley anywhre to be found?

Cessation
05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Is Chazley anywhre to be found?

Nah bro, if I humiliated myself as much as he has, I wouldn't show my mug around here either, tbh.

Chazley: "ginger is just in a slump he'll get hot in the playoffs, you'll see"

lol booner shooting 26% from 3, in last 2 months of the season, including the playoffs

ohmwrecker
05-26-2011, 09:56 PM

I would say Blair is a speedbump and Bonner is a turnstile.

UnWantedTheory
05-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Lol....stifling.

pancakechef
05-27-2011, 07:34 AM
uneducated opinions without fact to back it up

sandman
05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I have to ask, why would Pop ever play Blair and Bonner together? It goes against all reason and also all that is holy and good in this world.

Basketball equivelant of Dividing By Zero.

bigzak25
05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
It's like asking if you'd rather be @#$#ed in the ass or stabbed in the ass. no win.

Calispursfan11
05-27-2011, 10:57 PM
It's like asking if you'd rather be @#$#ed in the ass or stabbed in the ass. no win.

LOL! Priceless.