PDA

View Full Version : Parker

TwoHandJam
06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
So far my theory that his matchup with Billups is the biggest factor in this series is coming true....He has more turnovers than assists and is killing momentum plays. He's got to turn this around.

Same goes for Manu btw but I'm confident Manu will rebound.

ducks
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
tp just got 2 turnovers
otherwise he has more assist then turnovers

by the way he missed 4 layups atleast

DannyT
06-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Tony P has to step up and hit a lil outside jumper here and there that way he can open up the tear drop for us
he mos def has to step up and add to the scoreboard for us to really pull ahead

Rummpd
06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Parker better in second half at least with ball movement.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I knew Tony would have a bad game when Michelle Tafoya was rattling off all of Tony's pre-game quotes about how they were confident, they knew they were better, etc.

Whenever Tony gets cocky he plays like the French in WWII.

Dex
06-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Parker is playing out-of-tempo. He seems to be rushing things, like he's still stuck in the Phoenix series. His ability to finish has been lacking, to say the least.

Beno isn't showing any spark either, so Tony needs to step up and be the point gaurd he knows he can be.

ducks
06-09-2005, 10:27 PM
big layup by tp

ducks
06-09-2005, 10:35 PM
tp 2-2 in fourth
stfu haters
had he made 2 of the 4 layups he would be shotting over 50%

ducks
06-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Nice 3 Rebounds From Tp

TwoHandJam
06-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Nice 3 Rebounds From Tp
Nice turnovers in crunch time.

Nice dribbling for 10 seconds doing nothing and then giving up the ball.

Parker is nowhere near Manu's league. Period.

ducks
06-09-2005, 10:55 PM
PLAYERS PEAK AT 28
TP WILL BE BETTER THEN MANU AT THAT AGE :fro

manu had his turnover problems tonight also

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
2-2... so that's basically a wash with his turnover and airball to end the first and second quarters, he's still got to make up for trying a one on three break.

Nikos
06-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Parker was kind of schizophrenic tonight.

He looked good in stretches, awful in others in his decision making.

He did help the offense around and in between Manu's great 2nd half.

Parker can do better, and I think his decision making should get better.

ducks
06-09-2005, 11:11 PM
if tp were to win the mvp award you haters would still say he sucks :lol

T Park
06-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Parker ended up being OK.

ill take 17 out of him every night.

SouthernFried
06-09-2005, 11:13 PM
If been criticizing Parker all year. Tonite he had a solid, good game. Going strong, being aggressive on both ends. I don't care about points...I just wanna see heart. Tony showed that tonight...good game TP.

ducks
06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
tony needs to improve but he was rusty for the days off and you have to credit the d from the pistons

the pistons d is the best the spurs ever face

stéphane
06-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Whenever Tony gets cocky he plays like the French in WWII.
someone needs to stfu...

wildbill2u
06-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Parker was kind of schizophrenic tonight.

He looked good in stretches, awful in others in his decision making.

He did help the offense around and in between Manu's great 2nd half.

Parker can do better, and I think his decision making should get better.

Too many bad passes that looked like a rookie. But somehow he wound up scoring enough to help out. I think he will have better games in the series.

TwoHandJam
06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
If been criticizing Parker all year. Tonite he had a solid, good game. Going strong, being aggressive on both ends. I don't care about points...I just wanna see heart. Tony showed that tonight...good game TP.
Sorry, but I don't think Parker had a "solid, good game". He shot 41% and had more turnovers than assists. He didn't really come close to matching Billups who totally outplayed him if you look at his statline.

I saw Parker forcing shots and making bad decisions at key times. I like the fact that he stayed aggressive but he's usually aggressive at home and his game was still lacking. I don't see any way you can call his game a "good" one. Let's just say it wasn't too poor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2005, 11:57 PM
if tp were to win the mvp award you haters would still say he sucks

Well it will never happen, so moot point. :lol

TwoHand knows that of which he speaks.

myhc
06-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Sorry, but I don't think Parker had a "solid, good game". He shot 41% and had more turnovers than assists. He didn't really come close to matching Billups who totally outplayed him if you look at his statline.

I saw Parker forcing shots and making bad decisions at key times. I like the fact that he stayed aggressive but he's usually aggressive at home and his game was still lacking. I don't see any way you can call his game a "good" one. Let's just say it wasn't too poor.

Let's just say he did what he needed to do to help this team get the win. As crunch time was nearing, guy kept driving the ball to the hole and hit some big shots.

SouthernFried
06-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Both TONY and MANU turned the ball over a ton...mostly in that obscene 1st quarter. It was horrible.

But, Tony had a freakin' solid game. Like I said, I dont care about points...or, in Tony's case...assists. He played with a ton of heart tonite, going strong to the basket and making some incredible shots.

He put his heart on the line tonite...he didn't play soft and he was aggressive. When he plays like he did tonite...good things happen.

MiNuS
06-10-2005, 01:02 AM
I guess we are all growing with Tony. He's ups and downs. Like many of you have said the guy is only 23 y/o and should be spectacular by 28-30.BY then if Manu will be 32 and Tim will be 34-35.Spurs would definitely need to score big time with fresh new stars to continue this great ride.

Tony is getting better.

jcrod
06-10-2005, 01:07 AM
if tp were to win the mvp award you haters would still say he sucks :lol

And they would say Manu really should of won it. Freaking people in here are unbelievable.

Mr. Body
06-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Parker is 23, right? Would be his first year out of college, right?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2005, 01:15 AM
I guess we are all growing with Tony. He's ups and downs. Like many of you have said the guy is only 23 y/o and should be spectacular by 28-30.BY then if Manu will be 32 and Tim will be 34-35.Spurs would definitely need to score big time with fresh new stars to continue this great ride.

Tony is getting better.
Manu is barely a year younger than Tim, people! Get it straight! Learn your Spurs' ages! LOL

T Park
06-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Parker is 23, right? Would be his first year out of college, right

dont let the facts get in the way of the haters.

picnroll
06-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Parker did a pretty good job of distributing and breaking the Pistons defense down. I think he'll get better and adjust as the series goes. Billups' offense is a tough matchup for anyone. One good thing is that unlike almost every othr PG the Pistons hae face, Billups and particularly Hunters' defensive pressure doesn't phase Parker in the least. Remember the problems Wade had when Hunter was hounding him.

SWC Bonfire
06-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Did anyone see the move he swiped off Steve Nash? Dribble penetration, draws THREE defenders, dribbles along the baseline, and curls back out several feet from the basket for a 4-6ft jumper?

Pretty cool. Looks like he is quickly picking up on successful moves and strategy, and probably studying a lot of game film.

MI21
06-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Parker had a decent night, I was very heartened to see him come back after a bit of a nervous type start. To many times he disapears. Billups got his, but it wasn't Tony's fault, there was few easy baskets for Chauncey, he is just a really good shooter.

I think stats don't show his affect, he attacked the rim the WHOLE night and that was very important. A little more efficient with his layups, and if Bowen could of made 1 or 2 shots and Tony was looking at a 20/6 night.

picnroll
06-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Did anyone see the move he swiped off Steve Nash? Dribble penetration, draws THREE defenders, dribbles along the baseline, and curls back out several feet from the basket for a 4-6ft jumper?

Pretty cool. Looks like he is quickly picking up on successful moves and strategy, and probably studying a lot of game film.
I thought the same thing as Parker did that, very Nashesque. Parker needs to do that more keep his dribble and move around in the paint finding open space off the bigs interior picks.

manubili
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
You can't take it on Parker! He's one of the holy triangle!
But I have to admit he gets anoying when you see that Manu is red hot, TD waiting, and TP just keeps going arround, trying to make his own. He still have to learn how to be humble and generous sometimes, it worked for Manu.
TP is really great, but he needs to learn to decide.

MI21
06-10-2005, 09:10 AM
So if one player is hot others should not try and score either? Sure, you ride the hot hand, but only for so long.

manubili
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
So if one player is hot others should not try and score either? Sure, you ride the hot hand, but only for so long.

It's a matter of choices. If your hot players are wide open, waiting and even asking for the ball... well... It shouldn't be so hard to decide. He had a good game last night thou, but I'm sure he's gonna get better in this series, we'll need him.

SWC Bonfire
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
You can't take it on Parker! He's one of the holy triangle!
But I have to admit he gets anoying when you see that Manu is red hot, TD waiting, and TP just keeps going arround, trying to make his own. He still have to learn how to be humble and generous sometimes, it worked for Manu.
TP is really great, but he needs to learn to decide.

He's getting much better, TP is only 23! But it's his job to keep the ball, and maybe they were trying to do something else, like exploit a low matchup for a foul or something.

TP's confidence is what keeps him going as a leader; when he looses that confidence, he and the Spurs don't play well. The smugness and cockiness is a good thing, that means that he's not discouraged and is still putting out 100%.

Useruser666
06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Uh, Parker had an alright game. People are both too quick with praise as they are with scolding. He shot much better than Hamilton and made some key plays. To say he sucked is foolish, to say he had a great game is too.

spurster
06-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Billups > Parker last night, but Parker had a decent game after the Spurs performed at the level of Will Smith in the 1st 6 minutes.

NCaliSpurs
06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
How many easy shots did Parker miss?

His bad fg% belies his contribution post 1 quarter team breakdown.

He hit a couple of big baskets in the fourth.

Overall, he had a B game.

BTW, he did better than Rip Hamilton. I guess he sucks too.

As far as Parker's game is concerned, he has A LOT of room to improve, and he is pretty damned good on a lot of nights.

Look for him to be the man in a game or two.

beirmeistr
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Too many bad passes that looked like a rookie. But somehow he wound up scoring enough to help out. I think he will have better games in the series.
Parker needs to work on making his layups after his hard drives. I would rather see a softer layup attempt from him rather than some of his wild attempts. And I would like to see him pass the ball to Manu more---it seems to me that Manu gets the ball from other players (like Horry and Barry) more frequently than from Tony.

boutons
06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
"to work on making his layups after his hard drives."

aka "finishing". Tony's much better at finishing than last night.

NAZR is the guy who really needs to work on his low-block moves. he blows way too many close in shots, or gets blocked, including a dunk last night. he needs some power moves to be drilled into him. Pau Gausol has some great moves.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM

Yeah I saw it. Do they call 3 seconds anymore? :lol

SWC Bonfire
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
He got a foot out of the lane. And no, they don't call 3 seconds anymore, you should know this, y'all played Shaq last series.

The master of not getting a 3 sec call was DRob, though. I think he had a couch and a TV set up down there some games.:lol

06-10-2005, 10:49 AM
He got a foot out of the lane. And no, they don't call 3 seconds anymore, you should know this, y'all played Shaq last series.

The master of not getting a 3 sec call was DRob, though. I think he had a couch and a TV set up down there some games.:lol

Seriously, my friends and I counted to 7 several times in that series. :lol

Spurminator
06-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Parker stayed aggressive and forced the defense to collapse on him. I'd like to see him cut down on the turnovers, but all in all I thought it was a pretty good night for him. I didn't expect to see him even get into the paint as much as he did. Most of those layups usually drop for him... he might have been surprised as well.

Billups pretty much torched him scoring-wise, but maybe that's a good thing. When Billups feels he can score at will, he fails to get teammates involved. If Billups scoring 25 means Rasheed Wallace only gets 6 shots, I'm fine with that.

hendrix
06-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Billups pretty much torched him scoring-wise, but maybe that's a good thing. When Billups feels he can score at will, he fails to get teammates involved. If Billups scoring 25 means Rasheed Wallace only gets 6 shots, I'm fine with that.

Exactly. The same goes for our point guard.

06-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Parker stayed aggressive and forced the defense to collapse on him. I'd like to see him cut down on the turnovers, but all in all I thought it was a pretty good night for him. I didn't expect to see him even get into the paint as much as he did. Most of those layups usually drop for him... he might have been surprised as well.

I don't buy that. Billups had twice as many assists as TP and 10 more points on one less shot. The difference was Manu shooting 63% and Hamilton shooting 33%. IMO, Rip tried to do too much...

1Parker1
06-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I give up. Spurs win Game 1 of the Finals, our starting PG scores 15 pts, and people still bitch. You all can bitch all you want about Parker, but look at the other talented teams such as the Rockets and Mavs, even Heat---great teams, potential for greatness, however, one of the main reason they aren't successful--they don't have a good PG. PG's role goes beyond stats such as how many points/assists they have. There are other factors that affect this. What if we had Bob Sura, Jason Terry, or Damon Jones?? Think SPurs could still win??

Parker had an average game, he missed some pretty easy layups and had some bad turnovers---as did Manu, Duncan, and others! Problem with a lot of Spurs fans is that they don't appreciate how good they have it with Parker. The best PG's in this league-the AI's, Marbury's, etc. NEED to score 20+ points and average 8+ assists on their teams because they are the first options. Spurs are lucky to have 3. Parker is so taken for granted around here, that it's not even funny.

Just because I'm a Parker fan doesn't mean that I don't see his faults. I am not saying that he's not inconsistent or a shitty FT shooter, etc. I'll agree to that. Problem is people around here expect him to be an Iverson or Nash type of player.

PS This is not in any way a bash on Manu whatsoever, so please don't turn this into a Parker vs Manu thing.

Spurminator
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I don't buy that. Billups had twice as many assists as TP and 10 more points on one less shot. The difference was Manu shooting 63% and Hamilton shooting 33%. IMO, Rip tried to do too much...

Like I said, Billups pretty much torched Parker on offense. My point is that Billups also failed to get the ball to Rasheed and Tayshaun on the block. He really didn't create any offense for the team except for himself and occasionally Hamilton.

Exactly. The same goes for our point guard.

Sure, but at least Duncan got the ball in a position to score more than 6 times.

Clandestino
06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
I give up. Spurs win Game 1 of the Finals, our starting PG scores 15 pts, and people still bitch. You all can bitch all you want about Parker, but look at the other talented teams such as the Rockets and Mavs, even Heat---great teams, potential for greatness, however, one of the main reason they aren't successful--they don't have a good PG. PG's role goes beyond stats such as how many points/assists they have. There are other factors that affect this. What if we had Bob Sura, Jason Terry, or Damon Jones?? Think SPurs could still win??

Parker had an average game, he missed some pretty easy layups and had some bad turnovers---as did Manu, Duncan, and others! Problem with a lot of Spurs fans is that they don't appreciate how good they have it with Parker. The best PG's in this league-the AI's, Marbury's, etc. NEED to score 20+ points and average 8+ assists on their teams because they are the first options. Spurs are lucky to have 3. Parker is so taken for granted around here, that it's not even funny.

Just because I'm a Parker fan doesn't mean that I don't see his faults. I am not saying that he's not inconsistent or a shitty FT shooter, etc. I'll agree to that. Problem is people around here expect him to be an Iverson or Nash type of player.

PS This is not in any way a bash on Manu whatsoever, so please don't turn this into a Parker vs Manu thing.

and we still won by 15!... parker made some key shots though, but didn't have a stellar game.. just think if he did.. we would've won by 25!

Dre_7
06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
I just hope Tony continues to drive like he did in game 1!

slayermin
06-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Tony Parker was great.

I will do my best to keep any criticism of TP to myself. He is no longer soiled TP. He's a nice, new roll of soft, fluffy Charmin. :)

06-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Like I said, Billups pretty much torched Parker on offense. My point is that Billups also failed to get the ball to Rasheed and Tayshaun on the block. He really didn't create any offense for the team except for himself and occasionally Hamilton.

You can't put any blame on Billups. 25 pts, 6 assists, 4 rebs, 4 steals and only one TO.

The point guard isn't the only guy to blame for a sputtering O. How bout this stat: 21 shots, 1 FTA, 1 assist...

Hamilton tried to drive way too many times and forced a lot of ill-advised shots coming off the pick and rolls. That's a combo of good D and trying to do too much...

1Parker1
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Tony Parker was great.

I will do my best to keep any criticism of TP to myself. He is no longer soiled TP. He's a nice, new roll of soft, fluffy Charmin. :)

How intelligent of you. You can't bring any real arguments to the table so you must resort to sarcastic remarks. :rolleyes

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm with DGL, Rip was trying way too hard in the fourth to make things happen by himself. If you were to go back and have him dump the ball down low to Rasheed in place of some on the forced pull up jumpers that he missed this could have been a different game.

But on the topic of this thread, you got to love Tony. He was one of about 12 Spurs who were absolutely craptacular in the first quarter, but during the 2nd and 3rd quarter he was really the guy to crank himself up into attack mode and start getting to the basket, creating problems in the paint. That got the crowd into it, it allowed guys like Nazr to start moving aroudn in the paint and getting offensive boards. Stat lines can hide impact, we all know that. Tony has a lot of potential he has yet to realize I think.

06-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm with DGL, Rip was trying way too hard in the fourth to make things happen by himself. If you were to go back and have him dump the ball down low to Rasheed in place of some on the forced pull up jumpers that he missed this could have been a different game.

Word. This will be one of the minor adjustments for G2.

Anybody else surprised that, with these two great teams, there was only 27 assists on 63 baskets?

slayermin
06-11-2005, 05:56 PM
How intelligent of you. You can't bring any real arguments to the table so you must resort to sarcastic remarks.

Let me ask you this, would you still be a Spurs Fan if Tony Parker was traded?

picnroll
06-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Seriously, my friends and I counted to 7 several times in that series. :lol
Your friends and you are full of shit. I just slo mod the TIVO out of curiosity Duncan was on the right block outside the lane and Nazr on the left block outside the lane. Parker curled past Duncan, took the drop pass and entered the lane at 10:16 of the fourth, totally cleared the lane curling around Nazr outside the lane on the left at 10:15, curled back into the lane at 10:14 and put the layup up at 10:13. He was in the lane either time for barely over a second. Nice try but like I said your full of shit.

1Parker1
06-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Let me ask you this, would you still be a Spurs Fan if Tony Parker was traded?

Yes, I would. Because I am also a big fan of Tim Duncan, Manu, and Bruce Bowen. I'd cheer for whatever team Parker played for also, however. What does this have to do with the topic anyways? As I mentioned previously, just because I am a Tony Parker fan, doesn't mean I don't see the guy's faults. Likewise, just because I like one player, doesn't mean I don't like and support the rest of the team.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-11-2005, 09:47 PM
I was suprised that Tony didn't try the teardrop much. If he can put that shot in over Shaq and Yao, he can do it over the Wallaces. It seemed like he relied on trying to get lay-ins more than he usually does.

Parker did not have a great game from a points perspective, but I thought he still set the tone offensively with his agressiveness, even if occasionally ill advised. I'll take that any day over an outing like he had in game four against Phoenix when he just looked flat and unmotivated.

slayermin
06-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Yes, I would. Because I am also a big fan of Tim Duncan, Manu, and Bruce Bowen. I'd cheer for whatever team Parker played for also, however. What does this have to do with the topic anyways? As I mentioned previously, just because I am a Tony Parker fan, doesn't mean I don't see the guy's faults. Likewise, just because I like one player, doesn't mean I don't like and support the rest of the team.

Just had to ask.