PDA

View Full Version : Did Prime Duncan and younger/healthy Manu and Bowen make Pop look better than he is ?

lefty
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I think so.... :wakeup

Leetonidas
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Prime Tim Duncan would make any coach/team/franchise look good.

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I think so.... :wakeup

It's why I really appreciate what Carslile is doing. If he can somehow pull this off and win a title, it will be more significant from a coaching standpoint than anything Pop, Phil, or Riley ever did.

dbestpro
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
No, because if Pop coached the way then that he is now, they would not have won.

purist
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
OMG!
:bang

temujin
05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
It's why I really appreciate what Carslile is doing. If he can somehow pull this off and win a title, it will be more significant from a coaching standpoint than anything Pop, Phil, or Riley ever did.

Totally agree.

If Carslile can win with Dirk Noviski, he should be coach of the century, already.

Crazymaddopeyo
05-25-2011, 12:25 PM
This is dumb. Pop has changed, of course those guys made a difference but without his coaching there are no championships.

Fabbs
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Is Earth round?
Is water wet?
Is SpursTalk Multitroll?

TwelveGs210
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I think Pop is deserving of his status for several reasons..he is great at on the fly adjustments, (reminds me of "hack a dwight" when howard was talking shit to pop for pulling that tactic last year) he is great at getting guys who fit his vision, he is great at controlling ego's, distractions etc., and regardless of the talent we had been fortunate enough to obtain, he still had to get them to buy into HIS system..

I do feel that we might have reached a little bit in the draft as of late with Hill and Blair, because both players dont fit the norm for which ever position they are playing at the moment. Maybe a couple different decisions in the draft, or even a healthy manu, hell even some made shots in the playoffs, and this thread maybe wouldnt have even been made..

rmt
05-25-2011, 12:46 PM
I think Pop is deserving of his status for several reasons..he is great at on the fly adjustments, (reminds me of "hack a dwight" when howard was talking shit to pop for pulling that tactic last year) he is great at getting guys who fit his vision, he is great at controlling ego's, distractions etc., and regardless of the talent we had been fortunate enough to obtain, he still had to get them to buy into HIS system..

I do feel that we might have reached a little bit in the draft as of late with Hill and Blair, because both players dont fit the norm for which ever position they are playing at the moment. Maybe a couple different decisions in the draft, or even a healthy manu, hell even some made shots in the playoffs, and this thread maybe wouldnt have even been made..

The problem is that Pop's vision and system no longer work and the players (RJ and Bonner) who he has chosen to retain are horrible. The ones he's obtained (Hill, Blair, Splitter, Neal) are fine - he just has to play them appropriately - meaning play Blair against Landry types and Splitter against Randolph/Gasol types.

Duncan is no longer good enough to have one-dimensional players standing at the arc waiting to hit 3pters.

DesignatedT
05-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Did Jordan/Shaq/Kobe make Phil Jackson look better then he is?

NASpurs
05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
What was Pop's favorite play when prime Duncan was tearing it up in the league? Oh yeah, 4 down.

TJastal
05-25-2011, 01:42 PM
What was Pop's favorite play when prime Duncan was tearing it up in the league? Oh yeah, 4 down.

Pic of Pop signaling in the famous "4 down" play:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7842/350xg.jpg

hater
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Hall of Famers ALWAYS make their coaches look better than they are. Look at Jim Carrey, Flip Miami Coach, Tim Tibodeao, Scott Brooks

lefty
05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson, Par Riley and other HOF coach that have been mentioned in this thread wouldnt have played Bonner against Memphis.

That's how overrated Pop is

hater
05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
^ except Phil played Stevie Blake and Shannon Brown :lol

lefty
05-25-2011, 02:08 PM
^ except Phil played Stevie Blake and Shannon Brown :lol
That's because he had no choice

Pop had the choice

jjktkk
05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Prime Tim Duncan would make any coach/team/franchise look good.

This.

jjktkk
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

This.

jjktkk
05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson, Par Riley and other HOF coach that have been mentioned in this thread wouldnt have played Bonner against Memphis.

That's how overrated Pop is

Who would they play? Dyess, Blair, Splitter? What could they of done to make Duncan more effective scoring in the post? What could they of done to make Parker show up in the series?

TwelveGs210
05-25-2011, 06:39 PM
The problem is that Pop's vision and system no longer work and the players (RJ and Bonner) who he has chosen to retain are horrible. The ones he's obtained (Hill, Blair, Splitter, Neal) are fine - he just has to play them appropriately - meaning play Blair against Landry types and Splitter against Randolph/Gasol types.

Duncan is no longer good enough to have one-dimensional players standing at the arc waiting to hit 3pters.

Agree 100% with this.. i'm only referring to the fact this thread is questioning what Pop did in the championship years, and I think thats ridiculous. As far as the retaining thing, I fucking HATE the contract extensions for Bonner and RJ..when I saw the reports of the extension, I was fucking blown away by the fact they were multi year..Could you imaging looking at this year without those two deadbeats on the payroll going into free agency?

I like the other guys you mentioned as Neal is a freakin "thousandaire" for the next couple seasons, Splitter isn't too pricey, and regardless of the cliff jumper mentality that shows it face around here so often, at 26 the guy STILL has upside. George is still cheap, and Blair is not too bad contract wise, but for someone who is fighting an uphill battle to be productive in the NBA, seems to be more focused on gay ass out of tune singing, and making appearances in local flea market rapper's videos..He seems to be taking his oppurtunity here for granted..His "I'm going to make every team that passed me up pay" mentality sounded great on draft night, but I've yet to see too many teams pay..

As far as the coaching decisions, I question the decision to change Blair into a reserve at that point of the season, however It's probably because of his attitude/work ethic. I thought it was stupid as hell to keep Splitter on the bench, and I won't even get started with his obsession with Bonner's sorry ass..I'd actually say to call him "one dimensional" would be very generous of you as he can't get it done when it matters, and we have seen this each of the past three postseasons.

lefty
05-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Who would they play? Dyess, Blair, Splitter? What could they of done to make Duncan more effective scoring in the post? What could they of done to make Parker show up in the series?
They wouldnt have solved Duncan's struggles or Parker's sucking, but we are talking about Matt fucking Bonner

It's like playing 4 vs 5 when he is on the court

Spurs da champs
05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
They wouldnt have solved Duncan's struggles or Parker's sucking, but we are talking about Matt fucking Bonner

It's like playing 4 vs 5 when he is on the court

And when Blair played it's like we played 4 and a half against 5.

I agree on Pop and R.C fucking up the team the last 3 years tho.

ducks
05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
aj did not make pop look good

lefty
05-25-2011, 07:33 PM
aj did not make pop look good
:lol

jesterbobman
05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Of Course Prime Duncan is going to make any coach look good. But that doesn't mean Pop hasn't done a good job. While we had talent, I wouldn't say we had the most talented teams in general. The 03 Team in particular was Duncan and a bunch of role players. Could Pop have done a better job the last few years: Sure. That doesn't mean Prime Pop wasn't a good coach.

Sean Cagney
05-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Of Course Prime Duncan is going to make any coach look good. But that doesn't mean Pop hasn't done a good job. While we had talent, I wouldn't say we had the most talented teams in general. The 03 Team in particular was Duncan and a bunch of role players. Could Pop have done a better job the last few years: Sure. That doesn't mean Prime Pop wasn't a good coach.

LOL Prime Pop, age and alcohol has effected his coaching I guess :rollin:rollin, not only players have fell off with age Pop has as well.

ChuckD
05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Prime [insert HOF Player] would make any coach/team/franchise look good.

Pop, Phil J, Riley, Auerbach ALL depended on HOF players.

ChuckD
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Pop 2003 is a match for Carlisle this year. It was really just Tim. Manu was a rookie, Tony was 4 years from having a jump shot, and David was done.

Gutter92
05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
4down worked very well, what other coach could have made that work with Duncan?

lefty
05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Pop 2003 is a match for Carlisle this year. It was really just Tim. Manu was a rookie, Tony was 4 years from having a jump shot, and David was done.

Just Tim?

Tim was indeed unreal in 2003, but Manu even as a rookie was terrific during the playoff run

Ok, Drob wasnt as dominant as he used to be, but he was still a presence in the paint

And if Stephen Jax is a scrub, then fuck, I would love to have plenty of scrubs like him on my team

100%duncan
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
This is dumb. Pop has changed, of course those guys made a difference but without his coaching there are no championships.

this

Mel_13
05-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Look at every NBA champion in the last thirty years. With the exception of the 2004 Pistons, every one has had one or more HOFers on the team.

Look at the coaches with at least three titles going all the way back:

Kundla: Mikan

Auerbach: Russell, Cousy, Hondo, etc

Riley: Magic, Kareem Worthy

Jackson: Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq

Pop: Duncan, Robinson, Manu, Tony

Every coach that is regarded as elite has had great players. Without great players, none of those guys would be regarded as great coaches.

lefty
05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Look at every NBA champion in the last thirty years. With the exception of the 2004 Pistons, every one has had one or more HOFers on the team.

Look at the coaches with at least three titles going all the way back:

Kundla: Mikan

Auerbach: Russell, Cousy, Hondo, etc

Riley: Magic, Kareem Worthy

Jackson: Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq

Pop: Duncan, Robinson, Manu, Tony

Every coach that is regarded as elite has had great players. Without great players, none of those guys would be regarded as great coaches.

Of course, no disagreement

But playing fucking Bonner?

Barfunk
05-26-2011, 01:02 AM

True, but no matter how we slice that bread, 11 titles is 11 titles. Period. 3 three-peats, a back-2-back, 13 total finals appearances (:wow), and 1 win away from the Eastern Conference Finals in 94 without Jordan. They didn't win anything before Phil. Best coach ever.

pancakechef
05-26-2011, 06:48 AM

X2

ANYONE ON THIS BOARD COULD HAVE COACHED DUNCAN TO MULTIPLE RINGS.

SIMILARLY ANYONE ON HERE COULD SIT ON THE SIDELINES AND NOT MAKE IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS.

Hopefully we get pop out of here

ChuckD
05-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Just Tim?

Tim was indeed unreal in 2003, but Manu even as a rookie was terrific during the playoff run

Ok, Drob wasnt as dominant as he used to be, but he was still a presence in the paint

And if Stephen Jax is a scrub, then fuck, I would love to have plenty of scrubs like him on my team

Well, the players around Dirk aren't exactly scrubs, either. The commonality is that they are/were ONE STAR teams.

DRob 2002-2003 was a 8.5/7.9 player clearly on his way out. Jack was a find and a good piece, but as subsequent years have shown, not a star, but a clear #3 or #4 option. Manu was good, but nothing like he would become. He got called for travelling a LOT his first year or two before the refs caught on to the Euro two step and let it go. He didn't shoot well from 3. Tony was Devin Harris class at the time. He didn't have anything resembling a jumper.

The 2002-2003 team was clearly Tim and the Tim-ettes.

ChuckD
05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
True, but no matter how we slice that bread, 11 titles is 11 titles. Period. 3 three-peats, a back-2-back, 13 total finals appearances (:wow), and 1 win away from the Eastern Conference Finals in 94 without Jordan. They didn't win anything before Phil. Best coach ever.

Both teams he coached had been to the Conference Finals with the basic rosters he inherited. The one time he was handed a middling roster, his after-recess Laker team, he went out in the first round. He likely would have continued that pattern had the Lakers not been gifted Gasol.

It is all about the players.

pancakechef
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, the players around Dirk aren't exactly scrubs, either. The commonality is that they are/were ONE STAR teams.

DRob 2002-2003 was a 8.5/7.9 player clearly on his way out. Jack was a find and a good piece, but as subsequent years have shown, not a star, but a clear #3 or #4 option. Manu was good, but nothing like he would become. He got called for travelling a LOT his first year or two before the refs caught on to the Euro two step and let it go. He didn't shoot well from 3. Tony was Devin Harris class at the time. He didn't have anything resembling a jumper.

The 2002-2003 team was clearly Tim and the Tim-ettes.

Thats right Manu never won any championships or MVPs before coming to the NBA.... oh wait....

And Parker was better then. He had a crap J but he didnt have the ego or the TO problems then. Now hes scared and thinks he should get a foul every play.

Cane
05-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Prime Manu made Team USA look bad for what its worth. Carry on.

Basketball Power
05-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Duncan was God like, we had SJax, Drob offensively was done but D was still there and no one was scoring in the paint against us. Manu was a rookie but still played very well. Parker was green but we had a very good speedy backing him up.

that 03 team>>>>05,07 teams

pancakechef
05-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Ignorance on this board is amazing

Proxy
05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I think Bruce made the team look better than it really was. The Spurs deterioration started when he couldn't defend anymore.

mingus
05-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Marion woulda looked real good in a Spurs Jerz

mingus
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
I think Bruce made the team look better than it really was. The Spurs deterioration started when he couldn't defend anymore.

Bowen was amazing. You figure that out once you have no perimiter defense. If you think about it he was really as productive as a 15 ppg guy or better on a lot of nights because he got you 6-7 ppg while not allowing the guy he was guarding to score his usual amount and/or at a much lower percentage. It was a Big 4. It's a shame most of us never refered to it as a big 4, including myself.

Proxy
05-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Bowen was amazing. You figure that out once you have no perimiter defense. If you think about it he was really as productive as a 15 ppg guy or better on a lot of nights because he got you 6-7 ppg while not allowing the guy he was guarding to score his usual amount and/or at a much lower percentage. It was a Big 4. It's a shame most of us never refered to it as a big 4, including myself.

My thoughts exactly. He was the vocal leader as well.

Spurs da champs
05-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Marion woulda looked real good in a Spurs Jerz

No we have no true point guard like Nash or Kidd, he is the same thing as RJ basically maybe more versatile.

DMC
05-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Great receivers make QBs look good, and great QBs and receivers make offensive coordinators look good, and great offensive and defensive coordinators and great QBs, receivers, linemen and defense makes coaches look good.

Great domestiques made Lance Armstrong look good (and some EPO but who's counting) who in turn made John Bruyneel look good.

mingus
05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
No we have no true point guard like Nash or Kidd, he is the same thing as RJ basically maybe more versatile.

He plays great defense, does a lot of the dirty work (loose balls, deflections), good rebounder, and can score in the post on a fairly consistent basis. RJ doesn't do one of those things.

lefty
06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.g3graphx.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/intro5.jpghttp://www.wallcoo.net/sport/NBA_Spurs_0910_Player/images/wallpaper_mahinmi_0910.jpg

Agloco
06-13-2011, 10:31 AM
The problem is that Pop's vision and system no longer work and the players (RJ and Bonner) who he has chosen to retain are horrible.

This x2

lefty
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Jackson still won 55 games in 93-94 without Jordan, and they almost made it to the ECF.

And KFC wouldnt have played Bonner

:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
i blame smallball for his downfall, i think it was the stupid mavs or suns that introduced small ball? and pop went away from the big lineup that won us championships....till this day i think his still using smallball lineups...

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
As others have said, Kobe and MJ made Phil Jackson look good, Bill Russell made Red Auerbach look good, the Magic, Kareem and Worthy made Pat Riley look good.

The crime would have been seeing Tim not win championships. Pop was at the helm when Tim achieved that. Can't fault him for that.

Gagnrath
06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
There is a few reasons for issues with the spurs and Pop. First continued good regular season play, combined with an owner with limited financial means and a small market means that the ability to obtain star players is reduced. Constantly drafting in the later half of the round means that you are either going to get project players or role players. Neither of which always work out.

Second pop is willing to put ethics over basketball which works in alot of instances but can cost him with obtaining players, keeping players happy, and in some cases putting the best line-up on the floor. This also goes to some extent in rewarding loyalty. This is a big part of Bonner being where he is on the team though, Bonner is also a decent player for his salary in a role that doesn't fit him well if at all.

Changing league, the league rules, and directions for calling games have shifted quite a bit over the last two decades. In the late 80's and early 90's the physical play inside every game would have gotten people tossed in a single quarter today, the late 90's and first half of 00's were a transition to a far more non-contact game where perimeter players can drive nearly untouched and expect fouls if there is any contact even incidental outside the lane. This goes away from the idea of a hard nosed perimeter defender contesting shots and dribble while channeling their man to a shot blocking bigman inside..... Pop between being not really having the personal to play this way, and being one of the last holdouts for a physical inside team has had problems with this.

The spurs also haven't had an athletic big in a long time Mahininmi was somewhat close to this but between a dearth of skill and talent for getting injured didn't pan out.

ElNono
06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Sometimes you wonder if Phil thought it was too easy and was looking for a challenge when he took up the worm and Artest... it's like those nutcases would give him something to do.

Texas_Ranger
06-14-2011, 04:57 AM
I think Pop is a great coach, but if you let Bonner play 20+ minutes you've got to be a moron.

Blake
06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Jackson still won 55 games in 93-94 without Jordan, and they almost made it to the ECF.

but they didn't.

And KFC wouldnt have played Bonner

:lmao

And Pop won 60+ games playing Bonner

That aside, head coach is the most overrated position in the NBA.

lefty
06-20-2013, 11:00 PM
BUMP !!!!

:lol

mr poop
06-20-2013, 11:05 PM
It didn't hurt.

lefty
01-07-2014, 10:25 PM
BUMP imo :lmao

jeebus
01-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I hate Errors.

lefty
01-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I hate Errors.
But Pop loves Errors

all kinds of errors

exstatic
01-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Did a prime MJ and Pip make Jackson look better than he really is? Shaq and Kobe, too?

lefty
01-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Did a prime MJ and Pip make Jackson look better than he really is? Shaq and Kobe, too?
not really

Phil led them to titles

A real coach imo

apalisoc_9
01-07-2014, 10:49 PM
pretty much IMO...

Agreed tbh.

x2

exstatic
01-07-2014, 11:28 PM
not really

Phil led them to titles

A real coach imo

You can't have it both ways. Phil stepped into two teams that had already gone to their respective conference Finals with All NBA players already in place. It's EITHER the players or it's the coaches. You can't split your decision to hate on Pop.

DMC
01-07-2014, 11:37 PM
It takes talent and coaching. Take away either and you're doomed.

Johnny RIngo
01-07-2014, 11:55 PM
not really

Phil led them to titles

A real coach imo

Would Phil ever lose to Avery Johnson with homecourt advantage? I doubt it.

lefty
01-08-2014, 12:13 AM
TRUTH BOMBS !!!!!

Sean Cagney
01-08-2014, 12:32 AM
It takes talent and coaching. Take away either and you're doomed.

^^^^^^ This.

therealtruth
01-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Exactly PJ never lost when he had the upper hand. 47-0 when leading a playoff series 1-0. How many times has Pop lost including series he's had the homecourt advantage? Even JVG said it best when he got fired in Houston, you don't lose game 7 on your home court.

lefty
01-22-2014, 10:25 PM
:lol Pop

playing Ayres and Bonner :lol

lefty
01-28-2014, 10:11 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/120734/mourinho-shhh-o.gif

Chris16
01-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Rick Carlisle truly was a very underrated coach.

The only coach to beat Phil Jackson in a series w/o losing 1 game. :king

Chris16
01-28-2014, 10:31 PM
My bad, messed up, my other post is on the bottom.

Chris16
01-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Really no coach is perfect, even Phil Jackson has lost in the postseason in embarrassing fashion more than once.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-28-2014, 10:35 PM
pop is out of his prime

twincam
01-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Put pop with the bucks.same result...fail

Chris16
01-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Put pop with the bucks.same result...fail

The Eastern Conference is weak though, he probably could still get them to the playoffs there.

hitmantb
01-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Phil Jackson didn't even make the playoffs with Kobe. Sorry he benefited from talent much more than Pop ever did.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Phil Jackson didn't even make the playoffs with Kobe. Sorry he benefited from talent much more than Pop ever did.

Phil didn't coach the Lakers during that season:lol..

It was Kobe being exposed without Jackson, becoming one of the only superstars in NBA history that failed to lead his team to the playoffs while in his prime..

lefty
01-29-2014, 12:21 AM
Phil didn't coach the Lakers during that season:lol..

It was Kobe being exposed without Jackson, becoming one of the only superstars in NBA history that failed to lead his team to the playoffs while in his prime..
and boom

dbreiden83080
01-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Name an all time winning coach without great players?

cd021
01-29-2014, 10:01 AM

1. .....
2.N/A
3. Pass

cd021
01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
The Eastern Conference is weak though, he probably could still get them to the playoffs there.

If he can get a team on a 5 game winning streak they could have home court. "The eastern conference where mediocrity happens"

lefty
01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Well, of course you need great players

But Phil shits on Pop, that's all

dbreiden83080
01-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Well, of course you need great players

But Phil shits on Pop, that's all

So if Pop got to Coach Michael Jordan during the majority of his prime do they not still win six?

Chomag
01-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Yes...I'll get hate for that answer im sure but it's how I see it.

Baseline
01-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Prime Tim Duncan would make any coach/team/franchise look good. Let's face it...Pop is the most overrated coach in the history of the world. If you doubt this, just press "Replay" on Game 6. Any high school coach would have won that game. Meanwhile, Tim is arguably the best big to ever play the game. And Pop takes him out of the game - twice in the last minute, when all we needed was one rebound.

therealtruth
01-30-2014, 02:34 AM
pop is out of his prime

PJ was an amazing 47-0 when winning the first game of a series. He didn't lost too many series where he had homecourt advantage. He was only swept once. And his last season you could tell that wasn't his best effort.

therealtruth
01-30-2014, 02:38 AM
So if Pop got to Coach Michael Jordan during the majority of his prime do they not still win six?

Not with that nonsense he pulled in game 6. The problem is Pop's got no killer instinct that's why he didn't win game 6. He was playing not to lose while PJ always played to win. As a result his teams had the edge.

HI-FI
01-30-2014, 02:41 AM
part of the problem is Duncan is a very introverted person while Pop enjoys the attention. But people wouldn't be hailing Pop as a genius without Duncan that's for sure.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2014, 05:11 AM
There's not much doubt that Pop benefits when everything is going right. He's pretty much proven to flail when things don't go exactly his way.

poop
01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
I think Robinson and duncan should get more of the credit for the 'culture of the spurs' than even pop.
im starting to think that Duncan deserves more credit for the success of this team and its ability to welcome/develop/assimilate role players and late picks/overlooked talent than pop's coaching.

Pop gets all the credit as a 'brilliant coach' but he is truly stubborn with sticking to players/lineups even when they clearly do not work, for years at a time.

I think duncan and the big 3 have made him look far better than he really is.

therealtruth
01-31-2014, 10:16 PM
There's not much doubt that Pop benefits when everything is going right. He's pretty much proven to flail when things don't go exactly his way.

As we saw against the Grizzlies if he gets the right gameplan going into the series and the other coach isn't able to adjust he wins the series. If the other coach adjusts he is out of luck.

TheGoldStandard
01-31-2014, 11:52 PM

Jordan would have averaged 28 minutes a game

TheGoldStandard
01-31-2014, 11:59 PM

Lenny Wilkens?

dbreiden83080
02-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Lenny Wilkens?

Oh yeah.. Yeah.. Right..

Obstructed_View
02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
As we saw against the Grizzlies if he gets the right gameplan going into the series and the other coach isn't able to adjust he wins the series. If the other coach adjusts he is out of luck.

As we saw against the Grizzlies if he actually starts Tiago Splitter they win the series.

james evans
02-03-2014, 03:57 AM
Let's face it...Pop is the most overrated coach in the history of the world. If you doubt this, just press "Replay" on Game 6. Any high school coach would have won that game. Meanwhile, Tim is arguably the best big to ever play the game. And Pop takes him out of the game - twice in the last minute, when all we needed was one rebound.
don't forget putting in a 61% freethrow shooter to win the game. i thought every team had a freethrow shooting unit.

james evans
02-03-2014, 04:02 AM
Not with that nonsense he pulled in game 6. The problem is Pop's got no killer instinct that's why he didn't win game 6. He was playing not to lose while PJ always played to win. As a result his teams had the edge.
i lost damn near all the respect i had for him after game 6. i know some people up here be on that bullshit about "he's an all time great coach and you're just a forum poster". that is bullshit. no coach at ANY level should make all of the mistakes he made in that game. taking duncan out, sending in leonard(a 61% ft shooter in the finals) to hit freethrows, not fouling on the 3, leaving ginobli in to fuk up. it's like he didn't give a shit or just didn't know what to do. it's one of the 2. and he's still fukin up this season with defense strategies that just aren't fukin working. the knicks loss this season was the hardest one to take in cuz it was such a winnable game that i was not concerned with but i just don't get this zone defense of leaving 3 point shooters open. i ddint' get it saturday when Boeheim was leaving Duke open all night and i don't get it when popovich does it. the fuked up thing is, we are playing zone against teams that are 3 point shooters, no low post offense, and teams that WANT to shoot the 3.:lol

dunkman
02-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Spo' had much more talent then Pop, and the series still went to 7 games. Duncan and Parker still played at all-NBA level that season. Sure the last errors are more visible, but the reason Spurs lost was Manu's 8 TO's in game 6.

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
:lol the Heat didn't have much more talent than the Spurs, even including Lebron, tbh..

Bosh was invisible for most of the series, and the Heat were actually horrible when Wade was on the floor..

Pop coached a great series when the Spurs were in control, his strategy of making Lebron shoot from outside and allowing Wade to take his inefficient mid-range shots worked, as did his plan of spreading the floor and killing Miami with the 3..

After Spoelstra finally realized that Danny Green can't dribble and Parker can't play against Lebron, Pop never countered him..he continued to allow Parker to run the offense against the best pick&roll defense combo(Lebron+Bosh), rather than running the plays through Duncan all game + Leonard in the post against mismatches(Chalmers+Cole)..

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Pop is the best coach in the league, but like Belichick, all his flaws are ignored by the media and non-Spurs fans, tbh..

It's strange, because Pop is the only coach in the league that receives so much credit for winning some games while resting his stars, even though many other coaches do it all the time:lol..Scott Brooks won a game 2 weeks ago without both Dominos and Westbrook and I didn't hear anything about it from the media..

gnsf0946
02-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Pop is the best coach in the league, but like Belichick, all his flaws are ignored by the media and non-Spurs fans, tbh..

It's strange, because Pop is the only coach in the league that receives so much credit for winning some games while resting his stars, even though many other coaches do it all the time:lol..Scott Brooks won a game 2 weeks ago without both Dominos and Westbrook and I didn't hear anything about it from the media..

They prop Pop in the media because for them Pop is a lot more interesting than Duncan.

Biernutz
02-03-2014, 03:59 PM
This thread needs a time out. It's time for Kiss Me Cam

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/Gifffs1234/beer.gif

therealtruth
02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
:lol the Heat didn't have much more talent than the Spurs, even including Lebron, tbh..

Bosh was invisible for most of the series, and the Heat were actually horrible when Wade was on the floor..

Pop coached a great series when the Spurs were in control, his strategy of making Lebron shoot from outside and allowing Wade to take his inefficient mid-range shots worked, as did his plan of spreading the floor and killing Miami with the 3..

After Spoelstra finally realized that Danny Green can't dribble and Parker can't play against Lebron, Pop never countered him..he continued to allow Parker to run the offense against the best pick&roll defense combo(Lebron+Bosh), rather than running the plays through Duncan all game + Leonard in the post against mismatches(Chalmers+Cole)..

Pretty much Pop didn't adjust from game 4 onwards. The Heat may have had the better 1-2 players but the Spurs had the better 3-8 players.