PDA

View Full Version : House Republicans hold aid to tornado victims hostage to ideology

RandomGuy
05-25-2011, 12:10 PM
So much for "compassionate conservatism".

"We will help you out, if our demands are met." Really? That's what they are going with?

Cantor demands spending-cut ransom for Missouri aid
The scenes out of Joplin, Missouri, are just horrific. The death toll from the deadliest single U.S. twister in generations stands at least 116 people, and rescue workers continue a frantic search for survivors. President Obama will be in the area over the weekend, and obviously the area qualifies for federal disaster relief.

It’s hard to believe, but House Republicans aren’t sure if they’re prepared to spend the money to assist the victims and community.

The No. 2 House Republican said that if Congress doles out additional money to assist in the aftermath of natural disasters across the country, the spending may need to be offset.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said “if there is support for a supplemental, it would be accompanied by support for having pay-fors to that supplemental.”

Finding ways to offset disaster relief funds could be a significant challenge for House Republicans and would put their promise to cut spending to a true test.

I don’t expect much from House Republicans, but this has managed to actually surprise me. When disaster strikes and there are deadly consequences, federal officials are expected to put aside politics and ideology, and commit whatever’s necessary to help.

Indeed, the far-right Washington Times noted* today that Tom DeLay, when he was the House Majority Leader, believed emergency disaster relief should be immediate, without regard for offsetting cuts. “It is right to borrow to pay for it,” DeLay said at the time, adding that cuts could undermine the economy.

Congratulations, Eric Cantor. You’ve made Tom DeLay look like a moderate, and created an environment in which Democrats wish he were back as Majority Leader.

What’s more, Travis Waldron also noted that, despite the recent tornado disasters, Republicans are also trying to gut tornado forecasting services.

* In context, the Washington Times was making the point that DeLay was wrong and Cantor is right. It’s an admittedly right-wing newspaper. Still, the contrast with Cantor and DeLay is important.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_05/cantor_demands_spendingcut_ran029799.php

clambake
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
i have no sympathy for people who choose to live in a place where tornados can occur.

thats my wc impression.

Winehole23
05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
“if there is support for a supplemental, it would be accompanied by support for having pay-fors to that supplemental.”Wish this attitude had been more prevalent during 43's administration and earlier in this one, for that matter. Wars are effing expensive too.

Bartleby
05-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Republicans gave Wisconsin to the Dems when they went after the unions. They handed over Florida with "Ryancare" and now they are looking to give up another swing state.

They're making 2012 too easy for Obama.

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
house and contects insurance, dont hey buy this policy anymore? or the insurance companies wont sell these policys to ppl who live in those areas with high % natural disasters?

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180210

DMX7
05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I bet they won't hold aid to Israel hostage.

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
"the insurance companies wont sell these policys"

nope, the insurance companies jack up premiums for everybody, and sell/spread the risk into the re-insurance market.

Fabbs
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Doesn't Pakiskam deserve 1 billion a year in aid before Joplin, MO citizens should be handed anything?

fyatuk
05-25-2011, 02:44 PM
house and contects insurance, dont hey buy this policy anymore? or the insurance companies wont sell these policys to ppl who live in those areas with high % natural disasters?

They do, but the premiums are pretty hefty, and large scale disasters often cause insurers to stop writing in a region. That happened here in Texas back with Hurrican Celia in 1970. Insurers just stopped covering the area, so TX had to create a state GSE to handle windstorm and hail (a lot like the federal government does with flood).

Insurance companies are scum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on point, Cantor is an idiot. Domestic disaster relief should not worry about pay-fors. That's just ridiculous.

RandomGuy
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180210

*slaps head*

Sorry, I should have known you would have been all over this one. :lol

Nbadan
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I bet they won't hold aid to Israel hostage.

\thread

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2011, 03:31 PM
They do, but the premiums are pretty hefty, and large scale disasters often cause insurers to stop writing in a region. That happened here in Texas back with Hurrican Celia in 1970. Insurers just stopped covering the area, so TX had to create a state GSE to handle windstorm and hail (a lot like the federal government does with flood).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on point, Cantor is an idiot. Domestic disaster relief should not worry about pay-fors. That's just ridiculous.

everyone knows insurance are usually scams anyway, ppl dont usually make claims afraid next year premiums go up, or they payout below what you covered for....

then again those ppl who live in those areas that occurs every year, are fkn dumb not takin out insurance on the most precious asset in a person life is the family home...

LnGrrrR
05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

It usually takes a while for the insurance companies to process claims. I've heard stories that after Katrina, some insurers were just writing off vehicles without inspecting them, the claim numbers were so high. (Given the destruction I witness, I'd think it credible.) The government payments are emergency funds to help dislocated families.

LnGrrrR
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe there was a big furor when All-State refused to insure people in the Gulf Coast area near the coast. (Also, All-State and State Farm tried to screw a lot of people over during that time, IIRC.)

jack sommerset
05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
14 trillion in debt folks.

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2011, 03:43 PM
It usually takes a while for the insurance companies to process claims. I've heard stories that after Katrina, some insurers were just writing off vehicles without inspecting them, the claim numbers were so high. (Given the destruction I witness, I'd think it credible.) The government payments are emergency funds to help dislocated families.

if ur a wrecker i say buy them write off vehicles pull them apart and sell the parts....

TeyshaBlue
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
So much for "compassionate conservatism".

"We will help you out, if our demands are met." Really? That's what they are going with?

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_05/cantor_demands_spendingcut_ran029799.php

Another in a long chain of counter-intuitive moves by the GOP. I don't understand much of anything they're trying to accomplish these days.

LnGrrrR
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
if ur a wrecker i say buy them write off vehicles pull them apart and sell the parts....

I know there were some people who said their vehicle was wrecked/unsalvageable after Katrina when their cars probably only had minor damage.

Edit: Not mine though, sadly. Sunroof was smashed in, and the interior was flooded. The car was moved about half a block away from where it was parked. (I was deployed at the time, and my friend who was taking care of it had to shelter on base so he couldn't take it with him.)

You should've seen Keesler (and most of Biloxi) after Katrina. Everything was thrown about, cars littered all over random parking lots, skewed sideways.

I miss my LHS. It was like a couch with wheels.

DarrinS
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
That's because Republicans hate black people, old people, and tornado victims. Oh, and the Mexicans.

Now finish your Kool-Aid, before it gets warm.

LnGrrrR
05-25-2011, 04:02 PM
That's because Republicans hate black people, old people, and tornado victims. Oh, and the Mexicans.

They may not hate tornado victims, but they sure don't look like they're taking much pity on them with this move. :lol

George Gervin's Afro
05-25-2011, 04:03 PM

irony alert!..kool aid drinker calls other people.. ???

you guessed it.. kool aid drinkers!

DarrinS
05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
They may not hate tornado victims, but they sure don't look like they're taking much pity on them with this move. :lol

Yeah, it is pretty dumb.

TDMVPDPOY
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
looking for the taxpayer for a bailout

dont even start with charities for this event, we all know admin takes up half the costs, the other half you wont even see a penny of it maybe 6months down the road, or ppl trying to cheat the charity with bogus claims

like the shit we had down here a few years ago with the bushfires, some ppl were living in shitty houses with no insurance probably about 150k-200k market value so a majority didnt buy house insurance cause if you look at some of the houses, is like a fkn shed anyway...and the bailout from the govt and charities? they want to build $500k 6 star fire proof homes for each homeowner :(

coyotes_geek
05-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors. Cantor is an idiot because the time & place to worry about paying for disaster aid for a specific event is AFTER said aid has been rendered. Not before.

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 04:37 PM
"Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors"

Bullshit, the debt is due to the wars, the corrupt MIC, the Repug tax cuts, and the criminal Banksters' Great Depression.

USA has a Repug-policy-driven, starve-the-beast revenue problem, not a deficit problem.

coyotes_geek
05-25-2011, 04:39 PM
"Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors"

Bullshit, the debt is due to the wars, the corrupt MIC, the Repug tax cuts, and the criminal Banksters' Great Depression.

USA has a Repug-policy-driven, starve-the-beast revenue problem, not a deficit problem.

Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors.

TeyshaBlue
05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
You're arguing with a bot, dude.:lol

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 04:46 PM
what goalpost was moved?

coyotes_geek
05-25-2011, 04:49 PM
You're arguing with a bot, dude.:lol

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/LittlePaperHearts/TWIKI-1.gif

bidibidibidi vrwc bidibidibidi repug tax cuts bidibidibidi.............

TeyshaBlue
05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/borkbork.gif

fyatuk
05-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors. Cantor is an idiot because the time & place to worry about paying for disaster aid for a specific event is AFTER said aid has been rendered. Not before.

We're basically saying the same thing. Get the aid done, then figure out how it should be paid for.

I wouldn't really refer to something as a "pay-for" unless it's negotiated/decided on at the same time as what it's paying for, but that's just me.

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
"Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors."

How about wars-for-oil?

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Has everyone forgotten what the Red Cross is for?

LnGrrrR
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Has everyone forgotten what the Red Cross is for?

Red Cross is surely out there as well, but I don't think they are prepared to handle that volume/monetary value of requests.

Are you against government assistance in emergencies across the board? Or just federal government assistance?

Wild Cobra
05-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Red Cross is surely out there as well, but I don't think they are prepared to handle that volume/monetary value of requests.
That's what insurance is for.

Are you against government assistance in emergencies across the board? Or just federal government assistance?

I am not for bailouts. These people have insurance, or should have if they didn't. It is not the job of the tax payer to make politicians look good. Liberals buy votes by being those who subsidize people with other peoples money.

boutons_deux
05-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Republicans ax clean-car program to fund disaster relief by same amount they cut it in 2012 budget

ust when you think the Republicans can't get even more out of touch, one of them red-lines the outrageous gauge in a new category. We saw that Monday when House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (VA-07) said that tornado victims in Joplin, Mo., would only get emergency relief if money could be chopped from somewhere else in the federal budget. The House Appropriations followed up Tuesday by doing exactly that.

If emergency relief requires a budget offset, why not provide it by chopping some tax "incentives" from Big Oil?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Never mind.

Where will the money needed for disaster relief come from? From America's underfunded investment in technology designed to wean the nation off fossil fuels, natch.

Rep. Robert Aderholt's (AL-04) amendment lops half-a-billion from the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program at the Department of Energy. At the same time the committee was transferring this money so that a billion dollars could be provided to people affected by floods and tornadoes, it whacked $1.07 billion from the Homeland Security appropriations bill for disaster aid and firefighter funding in fiscal 2012. If myopia could be monetized, these guys would make the Koch Brothers look like beggars.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/25/979238/-Republicans-ax-clean-car-program-to-fund-disaster-relief-by-same-amount-they-cut-it-in-2012-budget?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos %29

===========

Fuck all Repugs assholes.

Winehole23
05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Struck out in this thread. Zero reponse.

Who else?

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
With tornado insurance as cheap as it is, why would a home owner not have it?

Winehole23
05-26-2011, 07:55 AM
In MI, how much? Show me.

Winehole23
05-26-2011, 07:56 AM
sINCE YOU SEEM TO KNOW SO MUCH ABT IT

Agloco
05-26-2011, 08:06 AM
14 trillion in debt folks.

With 1 billion of it headed to Pakistan and zero headed to Missouri. :rolleyes

Agloco
05-26-2011, 08:08 AM
With tornado insurance as cheap as it is, why would a home owner not have it?

How much does it cost exactly? I'm not familiar with it.

jack sommerset
05-26-2011, 08:19 AM
With 1 billion of it headed to Pakistan and zero headed to Missouri. :rolleyes

Obviously no money deserves to go to Pakistan especially considering recent events. Tornado victims will get aid in Missouri .

People better start coming to reality that we our in a huge debt and these natural disaster victims will not get as much aid do to this fact.

TeyshaBlue
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
"Everything our government does should worry about pay-fors."

How about wars-for-oil?

lol..get back to us when we fight one. http://www.audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/fack.png

boutons_deux
05-26-2011, 08:52 AM
$10Bs wasted in tax expenditures for Corporate-Americans, but Human-Americans' disasters go begging.

coyotes_geek
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
but Human-Americans' disasters go begging.

Link?

TeyshaBlue
05-26-2011, 08:58 AM
lolz

fyatuk
05-26-2011, 09:59 AM

From what I've seen, windstorm insurance, in texas at least, usually ends up costing between 1/4 and 1/2 what homeowners insurance would cost (large variance based on construction materials and where in the danger area you are).

ElNono
05-26-2011, 12:02 PM
This or that can be 'cheap' when you have a source of income. 1 out of 12 people in Missouri are unemployed though... that's a lot of people to just leave on the street...

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I asked someone who had their house destroyed here in Oklahoma and was told it was $50/month. This is tornado country. Unlike flood insurance, it's affordable.

Doesn't Oklahoma have more tornadoes than Missouri, similar, or is it less?

We had some serious damage in this Area. The same storm that had tornadoes touch down here also hit Dallas. I had a flight with American Airlines today to go back home to Portland, but it's cancelled. Dallas is a major AA hub. I was told over 80 AA planes were damaged on the ground by hail, and 55 are still out of service.

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Here's tornadoes for May last year:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/tornado/2010/may/1005_map_torn.gif (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/2010/5)

April this year:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/tornado/2011/apr/1104_map_torn.gif (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/2011/4)

I looked at several other months. Seems like tornadoes here are more common than Missouri, so insurance should be less there.

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
This or that can be 'cheap' when you have a source of income. 1 out of 12 people in Missouri are unemployed though... that's a lot of people to just leave on the street...
Who said they are left on the street?

Why do you liberals think it's the job of the federal government to do everything for you? There are already nonprofits that do such things.

clambake
05-26-2011, 01:55 PM
you have no place here to tell anyone about insurance.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2011, 02:22 PM
must be a dumb shit not to take out insurance on family home if its valued 300k+...

RandomGuy
05-26-2011, 02:29 PM

There was a HUGE stink because the quasi-governmental insurer of last resort, the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association, did just that, but with entire houses after Ike.

We are talking about paying "slab" claims, sight unseen, with no pictures from the claim adjuster or anything, for up to $300,000+ in some cases. "Slab" means the house is nothing more than a slab, and the full assessed/claimed value is paid out.

Whoopsies. From what I understand, that was the tip of the iceberg when it came to the shinanigans. Have to dig up the article again.

RandomGuy
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Why do you liberals think it's the job of the federal government to do everything for you? There are already nonprofits that do such things.

Why do you libertarians think that all problems can/will be solved by the free market?

Shit man, with the blind faith you give the free market one might as well expect things to be taken care of by unicorns sprinkling pixie dust.

I certainly don't think the government should run everything, but it definitely has a common sense role in addressing problems common to the entire country.

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Why do you libertarians think that all problems can/will be solved by the free market?

Shit man, with the blind faith you give the free market one might as well expect things to be taken care of by unicorns sprinkling pixie dust.

I certainly don't think the government should run everything, but it definitely has a common sense role in addressing problems common to the entire country.
I am quite aware that the free market isn't the solution for everything. My problem is that too many people think the government is the solution for everything.

As far as I know, insurance for such things do include a degree of money for temporary relocation. Insurance is required if you have a mortgage to pay. I know it's tough, but people need to live with their choices. I wouldn't argue against limited government help, but to attack politicians who have a stance that we have already spent too much, when we have also hit the debt ceiling?

How about a dose of reality. Since that ceiling is hit, just how do we use government funds to help here without cutting elsewhere?

Those of you advocating help the most. Put you money where your mouth is. Donate to the Red Cross or other known organizations who help, today.

clambake
05-26-2011, 02:46 PM
now you want us to donate for your healthcare?

DarrinS
05-26-2011, 04:10 PM

""UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."

-Barack Hussein Obama, mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm

fyatuk
05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
""UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."

I always thought that was a very faulty comparison. They aren't really direct competitors. UPS and FedEx only handle expedited shipping, while the post offices focus is on normal mail, with expedited shipping as an added service. Of course an added service isn't going to compete with primary focus.

Additionally, the Post Office only really started having problems over the last half decade or so because of the large-scale increased email availability. Couple that with their perpetually "brilliant" idea of increasing the rates on mail that can easily be converted to being handled electronically for free, and of course you'll have problems.

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I always thought that was a very faulty comparison. They aren't really direct competitors. UPS and FedEx only handle expedited shipping, while the post offices focus is on normal mail, with expedited shipping as an added service. Of course an added service isn't going to compete with primary focus.

Additionally, the Post Office only really started having problems over the last half decade or so because of the large-scale increased email availability. Couple that with their perpetually "brilliant" idea of increasing the rates on mail that can easily be converted to being handled electronically for free, and of course you'll have problems.
I agree the comparison is faulty.

Funny how over the decades, the post office normally generated more revenue than it spent for operations. Guess what. Congress spent the extra. I think congress and the president are just now pissed off that they have to pay the Postal Service back some of this money.

ElNono
05-26-2011, 04:46 PM

There's a reason we have FEMA. Charities/Non-profits are easily overwhelmed when the volume of people affected is big enough, plus they don't necessarily have the expertise or expedience of a professional group of people specifically trained to tackle emergencies.

And unlike you, I never asked of anything from the federal government. The liberal cashing in foodstamps was you, not me.

ElNono
05-26-2011, 04:49 PM
I always thought that was a very faulty comparison.

It is. Plus the Post Office 'always' having problems is a flat out lie. Their struggles are fairly recent.

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 04:54 PM
There's a reason we have FEMA. Charities/Non-profits are easily overwhelmed when the volume of people affected is big enough, plus they don't necessarily have the expertise or expedience of a professional group of people specifically trained to tackle emergencies.

And unlike you, I never asked of anything from the federal government. The liberal cashing in foodstamps was you, not me.
Will you stop being a fucking liar?

I never cashed in food stamps. I never used them either. That's what happens when you libtards start believing each other propaganda.

Places like the Red Cross act immediately. FEMA has some funding to respond immediately too, but are bogged down by bureaucracy.

Tell me. Where is this money going to come from unless we do like the OP points out? Remember... We hit the debt ceiling.

Things like food stamps and other social welfare are acceptable in my book as a safety net. For people needing help for the short term. Not long term except for the elderly and handicapped.

You libtards are perfectly happy that the safety net became a hammock.

clambake
05-26-2011, 05:39 PM
you are so full of shit. a true american disgrace.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2011, 05:44 PM

-Barack Hussein Obama, mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmmmDo you ever run out of straw?

ElNono
05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Will you stop being a fucking liar?

I never cashed in food stamps. I never used them either. That's what happens when you libtards start believing each other propaganda.

Did you sign up for foodstamps, yes or no? I've never asked anything from the federal government nor expect anything from it. So you you were flat out lying.

Places like the Red Cross act immediately. FEMA has some funding to respond immediately too, but are bogged down by bureaucracy.

Tell me. Where is this money going to come from unless we do like the OP points out? Remember... We hit the debt ceiling.

I don't have a problem with prioritizing and offsetting some money from the military budget and foreign aid. We need to stop pretending that wasteful spending never touches one of the biggest part of our budget.

Things like food stamps and other social welfare are acceptable in my book as a safety net. For people needing help for the short term. Not long term except for the elderly and handicapped.

We all know where you stand. It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You're stating people on an emergency should have gotten insurance, but the reality is that some people are unemployed and can't afford it. I don't expect the government to offer free insurance or pay it for them, but some people have genuinely an emergency and I have no problem for the agency created to deal with it to actually do their job.

You libtards are perfectly happy that the safety net became a hammock.

More strawman and generalization...

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Because it is, you dumbshit. There's a reason FEMA was established.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
50 dollars a month for insurance solely for tornadoes is an absolute fucking rip off gold mine for the insurance companies. Even in a place like OKC, your house has a microscopic chance of being damaged severely enough to need insurance. We established FEMA for a reason and it wasn't so that we could all run out and give people absurd amounts of money for extremely rare instances.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Lets say there are 5 million homes in high risk tornado areas. 50 dollars a month is then 250 million dollars every month, or 3 billion per year. The total amount of property damaged caused by tornadoes is not even a billion per year on average. A large part of that is not even homes but other buildings. Talk about a fucking raping by insurance companies. The risk is so damn tiny.

http://www.economics.noaa.gov/?goal=weather&file=events/tornado&view=costs

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Here's tornadoes for May last year:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/tornado/2010/may/1005_map_torn.gif (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/2010/5)

April this year:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/images/tornado/2011/apr/1104_map_torn.gif (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/2011/4)

I looked at several other months. Seems like tornadoes here are more common than Missouri, so insurance should be less there.

Leave it to you to use graphs or items without having a clue what they mean. How many square miles are in Missouri? How many square miles are affected by strong tornadoes per year? What is the actual risk to homes in Missouri?

Most tornadoes cover extremely small areas and are weak. 80% of tornadoes will do at most superficial damage to weak because they are either EF0 or EF1. The damage you see in Joplin is from an EF5 tornado which through history there have been very very very few. Most tornadoes are so weak that if they hit a home would cause minor damage that could easily be fixed. The chances of being effected by an EF5 are nowhere near worth spending 600 dollars a year on.

You trying to post figures like that proves absolutely nothing other than you are once again ignorant. If you were as smart as you think you are then you might have thought of these questions before I posed them to you.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 06:09 PM
No one would think twice about sending in FEMA to help people hurt by a tropical storm or hurricane and those events are actually far more common and expected. Hurricane damage is over 5 times greater per year than tornado damage.

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Leave it to you to use graphs or items without having a clue what they mean. How many square miles are in Missouri? How many square miles are affected by strong tornadoes per year? What is the actual risk to homes in Missouri?

Most tornadoes cover extremely small areas and are weak. 80% of tornadoes will do at most superficial damage to weak because they are either EF0 or EF1. The damage you see in Joplin is from an EF5 tornado which through history there have been very very very few. Most tornadoes are so weak that if they hit a home would cause minor damage that could easily be fixed. The chances of being effected by an EF5 are nowhere near worth spending 600 dollars a year on.

You trying to post figures like that proves absolutely nothing other than you are once again ignorant. If you were as smart as you think you are then you might have thought of these questions before I posed them to you.
No, I do understand.

Riddle me this.

When only a dozen or so families lose their homes, why isn't there an advocacy like there is when it's thousands?

Individually, those in the small group suffered equal to the individuals in the larger numbered ones.

If the government isn't going to provide housing for the dozen, why should they for the thousand+?

This recent tornado that hit the Oklahoma City area was a more common sized one that destroyed homes too. Are you trying to tell me that only the rare 5's make people homeless?

Wild Cobra
05-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Did you sign up for foodstamps, yes or no? I've never asked anything from the federal government nor expect anything from it. So you you were flat out lying.

No.

Show me where you think I'm wrong.

I don't have a problem with prioritizing and offsetting some money from the military budget and foreign aid. We need to stop pretending that wasteful spending never touches one of the biggest part of our budget.

I never said it didn't. I'm acknowledging the reality of the republican response since we hit the debt ceiling.

We all know where you stand. It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
No, it's irrelevant to try to discuss with you because of your lies.

You're stating people on an emergency should have gotten insurance, but the reality is that some people are unemployed and can't afford it. I don't expect the government to offer free insurance or pay it for them, but some people have genuinely an emergency and I have no problem for the agency created to deal with it to actually do their job.

Unless a home is paid for, getting a mortgage requires you have insurance too. ow many of these people won't get reimbursed when it's a required part to secure the loan, and rarely not part of the loan payments? If they aren't making the payments, ten they are in a foreclosure process already.

How many people have their home paid off, and don't have insurance? Very few I bet.

I guess if you drive without car insurance, get in a wreck, you want your Uncle Sam to buy you a new car. Seems like a proper analogy to me.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
No, I do understand.

Riddle me this.

When only a dozen or so families lose their homes, why isn't there an advocacy like there is when it's thousands?

Individually, those in the small group suffered equal to the individuals in the larger numbered ones.

If the government isn't going to provide housing for the dozen, why should they for the thousand+?

This recent tornado that hit the Oklahoma City area was a more common sized one that destroyed homes too. Are you trying to tell me that only the rare 5's make people homeless?

No, it wasn't a more common sized one. It was an EF4 and in the end the damage assessment might be an EF5. Do only EF5s make people homeless? Of course not. An EF2 will destroy a mobile home and regular homes will suffer severe damage from an EF3 and EF4s. However, anything above an EF1 makes up the minority of tornadoes. The stronger they get the more rare they are. You didn't post a map of tornadoes above an EF1, you posted a map of all tornadoes. Don't move the goalposts.

When a dozen or so families lose their homes there are government agencies that can handle that. When a whole fucking town is leveled for obvious reasons special actions need to be taken. If you think that people who lose their home suffer equally as people who have lost a whole town then you're even more of a moron than I've given you credit for.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
No.

I never said it didn't. I'm acknowledging the reality of the republican response since we hit the debt ceiling.

Unless a home is paid for, getting a mortgage requires you have insurance too. ow many of these people won't get reimbursed when it's a required part to secure the loan, and rarely not part of the loan payments? If they aren't making the payments, ten they are in a foreclosure process already.

How many people have their home paid off, and don't have insurance? Very few I bet.

I guess if you drive without car insurance, get in a wreck, you want your Uncle Sam to buy you a new car. Seems like a proper analogy to me.

Of course it seems like a proper analogy to you. You're a complete fucking moron. I don't know many people who equate a home and a car.

ElNono
05-27-2011, 01:36 AM
No.

Why do you liberals think it's the job of the federal government to do everything for you?

You're answering to my post. I never asked the federal government to do anything for me (yet).

The ceiling will be raised like plenty of times before. Should it? No. But that's the political class we have. Neither you or I can do jackshit about it.

:lol and here you are...

There's plenty of people that had a job and bought a simple house, and find themselves without a job now. No income = no means to pay the bills.
You know, people's fortune change all the time. Life isn't static. That you once did ok enough to buy a small house doesn't mean that's your reality now, especially as you get older and it's harder to find a job. Your oversimplification that "hey, if they have a house, I bet they have insurance" is really retarded.

It's a terrible analogy. First of all, these people didn't intentionally lose their homes. Second, you can buy a car for a couple hundred bucks if you're really desperate. We're talking losing potentially a life's savings on a natural disaster. I can't think you're being serious.

And no, I'm not looking for the government to buy them a new house. But at least assist them until they can get back on their feet. It's a tragedy what some of these people are going through, including some of them losing family members.

RandomGuy
05-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Don't you have some overly expensive lightbulbs to be hoarding or something?

TeyshaBlue
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
And no, I'm not looking for the government to buy them a new house. But at least assist them until they can get back on their feet. It's a tragedy what some of these people are going through, including some of them losing family members.

Services like disaster relief is and should continue to be, one of the core functions of the Federal Govt. It's every bit as legitimate as defense and infrastructure spending.