PDA

View Full Version : Any golfers here?

John Basedow
05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm looking to buy a decent set of clubs, willing to pay up to $500. Any recommendations?

CubanSucks
05-25-2011, 05:32 PM
lol golf

clambake
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
you can get a decent set of used clubs for that.

4>0rings
05-25-2011, 06:07 PM
You that good for a $500 golf club set?

John Basedow
05-25-2011, 06:19 PM

No, I suck, but I'm playing every weekend now and would like to get something decent instead of these hand-me-down clubs that aren't even my size.

Apparently $500 won't get you far, either. It's looking like a real nice set will cost between $800-1K

leemajors
05-25-2011, 06:38 PM
plenty of good used sets on ebay if you know what you are looking for.

Spursfan092120
05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
If you suck, you don't need good clubs...and I'd like to know what you call "decent" if you don't think you can get a decent set of used clubs for 5 bills.

Spursfan092120
05-25-2011, 07:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NIKE-SQ-DYMO2-STR8-DRIVER-ASPIRE-WOOD-HYBRIDS-IRONS-/260789840550?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3cb8492aa6#ht_8768wt_1141

Kyle Orton
05-25-2011, 07:45 PM
$500 for a full set of clubs is relatively cheap.

How complete a set are we talking here, John? A PW-3 set of irons? What clubs if any do you already have?

Kyle Orton
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
tbh if you ever for whatever reason are in Tucson AZ I got the hookup from this dude I know who works at golfsmith :lol

RGMCSE
05-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I've been playing golf for 17 years now. I've played with all kinds of clubs. Fitted not fitted, re-gripped, re-shafted changed lofts etc. Theres more to it than the club it self. Granted a good set will do something for your game but ultimately getting out there and playing on a consistent basis is the key. Join your local club like the Alamo golf trail for example. The membership is 50 a year and you get 6 free rounds, twilight specials, golf club merchandise discounts and cheap entries to members only scramble tourneys. They also have monthly clinics for members to learn from a golf pro. They do it all from Putting to driving, chipping long and short games and playing out of trouble. For 50 bucks you cant beat it.

Now back to the clubs. Do your self the favor and don't buy from Ebay. Because if you don't like the club its a real hassle to turn it back in. What I do is I shop at Golf galaxy and Edwin Watts primarily because you can return the clubs within 30 days and exchange for another set. The best case scenario would be to go to a store that allows you to test them out on a range instead of a computer model to get a better feel. I think there maybe a local driving range around San Antonio that does that. In Florida they actually have golf super stores that have there own golf range for this purpose.

As for a recommendation on a particular brand, I know my buddie bought the Wilson CI7's about a year ago and they were rated the number 1 amateur/ beginner set. I've hit them and they are super forgiving and have a nice solid feel to them. Im sure this years model will be the next craze but don't knock a set that is a couple of years old.
Personally I buy most of my sets used. I have them refitted,gripped and adjusted to my feel. I save a lot of money that way and am pretty much always satisfied. I just upgraded not to long ago from Calloway Hawkeye set with Taylor Made Tour Burner driver, 3 wood and 3 Hybrid to the Ping Red Eye 2's with the G10 Driver and the G5 3 Wood. I still have my Taylor Made Burner 3 Hybrid. I also have my trustie Odyssey Rossie 2 mallet putter with a Tour Action 56 degree Cleveland wedge with a project X shaft. As you can see I have a mixed bag. And retail for all those clubs would be close to 2 grand. But total I sent close to $500. So my suggestion would be to either buy new after testing first or buy used cheaper and actually end up with better quality clubs.

lil'mo
05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
No, I suck, but I'm playing every weekend now and would like to get something decent instead of these hand-me-down clubs that aren't even my size.

Apparently $500 won't get you far, either. It's looking like a real nice set will cost between $800-1K

im about to buy a sweet set of callaway fusions for $350 on craigslist. people always lookin to get rid of shit quick for fast money on there :wow

RGMCSE
05-25-2011, 08:47 PM
im about to buy a sweet set of callaway fusions for $350 on craigslist. people always lookin to get rid of shit quick for fast money on there :wow

No shit, that place can be a gold mine sometimes.

tlongII
05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
No shit, that place can be a gold mine sometimes.

That's cuz the shit is usually stolen. :lol

RGMCSE
05-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Here's another suggestion, in case you dont have the patience to go and shop for multiple style clubs, check these out. There a complete replica set of the new Taylor Made burners. All the way down to the TM Corza mallet putter. My buddie just bought the putter and hes in love with it. He said they compare very well and supposedly are made out of the same materials. Either way for your first complete set this might be a nice option as it comes with Driver, woods, putter, and hybrids.

If you buy name brand your going to need to spend at least $500 on irons and a driver alone.

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-clubs/golf-sets/turner-black-and-white-golf-club-set-and-bag.html

RGMCSE
05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
That's cuz the shit is usually stolen. :lol

This is true.:lol

robino2001
05-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Here's another suggestion, in case you dont have the patience to go and shop for multiple style clubs, check these out. There a complete replica set of the new Taylor Made burners. All the way down to the TM Corza mallet putter. My buddie just bought the putter and hes in love with it. He said they compare very well and supposedly are made out of the same materials. Either way for your first complete set this might be a nice option as it comes with Driver, woods, putter, and hybrids.

If you buy name brand your going to need to spend at least $500 on irons and a driver alone.

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-clubs/golf-sets/turner-black-and-white-golf-club-set-and-bag.html

I bought my last set of clubs from Diamond Tour... got "fitted" at an Edwin Watts so I knew how much to lengthen the clubs and then bought the clones from Diamond Tour. Coworker and I both bought from them, people try our clubs out and then end up buying stuff from them as well. Definitely worth a shot and you save tons.

John Basedow
05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
$500 for a full set of clubs is relatively cheap.

How complete a set are we talking here, John? A PW-3 set of irons? What clubs if any do you already have?

I'd like a full set, drivers, woods, and all. Right now the only clubs I plan on keeping are my 60-degree wedge, Hybrid club, and a Titleist 1-iron (love that club :lol). The rest are expendable, so I'm looking at a set of irons from 3-9, Driver, 3 and 5 wood, PW and SW, and putter.

Yeah, craigslist has some interesting stuff on there, but I want clubs that are fitted for me...my size, or however you word it.

Will have a look, appreciate it :tu

z0sa
05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Any fat white richers here?

This is firmly Beaner country, son

John Basedow
05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
My short game (putting and chipping) has really improved over the past month, and I'm hitting my irons fairly well too. I can't hit a Driver or a 3/5 wood to save my life though. I have more success with the hybrid

Cuckolded Sissy
05-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Make sure you get a 2010 or earlier set of irons with the old grooves

leemajors
05-26-2011, 07:00 PM
My short game (putting and chipping) has really improved over the past month, and I'm hitting my irons fairly well too. I can't hit a Driver or a 3/5 wood to save my life though. I have more success with the hybrid

You ever tried swinging a weighted club at home and on the range before warming up? I was scratch in high school and usually only play once a year or so, but I can still shoot under 85. I just gradually start warming up a few weeks before I play with a Momentus swing trainer. Doesn't help much with my short game but it helps a hell of a lot with everything else just keeping me on plane.

jjktkk
05-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Adams makes a nice set for around 200 to 300.

Venti Quattro
05-27-2011, 03:27 AM
lol golf

John Basedow
05-27-2011, 01:41 PM
You ever tried swinging a weighted club at home and on the range before warming up? I was scratch in high school and usually only play once a year or so, but I can still shoot under 85. I just gradually start warming up a few weeks before I play with a Momentus swing trainer. Doesn't help much with my short game but it helps a hell of a lot with everything else just keeping me on plane.

Haven't tried that, but does a weighted club help with hooks/slices? I've got the distance down with the drivers and woods, but i never hit it straight. I hit the irons dead straight though, so I don't know.

Played 18 today at a goat-grazing course and shot a 97...lost my shit on 16 and chucked my PW into a canal. Most frustrating goddamn game there is.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
My guess is that you need a stiffer shaft on your woods, yeah, if you're not having the same swing problems with you're irons.

You're probably swinging way too hard trying to crush the ball with the big sticks. Club lags and most of your shots push right.

Or it's all mental.

Welcome to the clusterfuck that is golf.

leemajors
05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Like DLF said, it can be any number of things. Bad grip, swing off plane, gripping harder when you begin your downswing, etc. The weighted club should help with the tempo and plane of your swing provided you do it properly, and some of them have a grip guide. I think it was Harvey Penick who said to grip the club like you would a yardstick, which is a very good guide on how to place your hands on the club. Do you have any buddies who are good golfers or someone who could tape your swing? It can be pretty helpful to either look at your swing compared to others or have someone give you a pointer or two if they know what is going on.

John Basedow
05-27-2011, 03:03 PM
My guess is that you need a stiffer shaft on your woods, yeah, if you're not having the same swing problems with you're irons.

You're probably swinging way too hard trying to crush the ball with the big sticks. Club lags and most of your shots push right.

Or it's all mental.

Welcome to the clusterfuck that is golf.

Like DLF said, it can be any number of things. Bad grip, swing off plane, gripping harder when you begin your downswing, etc. The weighted club should help with the tempo and plane of your swing provided you do it properly, and some of them have a grip guide. I think it was Harvey Penick who said to grip the club like you would a yardstick, which is a very good guide on how to place your hands on the club. Do you have any buddies who are good golfers or someone who could tape your swing? It can be pretty helpful to either look at your swing compared to others or have someone give you a pointer or two if they know what is going on.

As you both alluded to, I do have a tendency to try and beat the shit out of the ball with the driver instead of letting the club do the work. My backswing is smooth but it's like I get blood lust in the downswing:lol

lee, my buddies have given me a couple tips but they have swinging tics as well. My godfather up in Pitt is a pro, but I don't live there anymore.

John Basedow
05-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Played a crappy 9-hole course today and shot 42 (11 over). Had a birdie and 2 pars, but bombed Holes 4 and 6.

monosylab1k
05-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Whoever has the Michael Scott troll is dropping the ball here. So many "thats what she said" moments i cant keep count.

Kyle Orton
05-30-2011, 08:50 AM
People who have comments like "lol golf" or "golf isn't a real sport when fat people are good at it!" crack me up.

monosylab1k
05-30-2011, 10:00 AM
My guess is that you need a stiffer shaft

Lulz

Axe Murderer
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Whoever has the Michael Scott troll is dropping the ball here. So many "thats what she said" moments i cant keep count.

just made a troll for it

should be approved by 2018

Isitjustme?
05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
People who have comments like "lol golf" or "golf isn't a real sport when fat people are good at it!" crack me up.

Golf is fun, but its not a sport. Neither are pool or bowling tbh

leemajors
05-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Golf is fun, but its not a sport. Neither are pool or bowling tbh

:jack

John Basedow
05-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Fuck me sideways. Shot a 50 on the 9-holer today :lmao

One step forward, two steps back.

Isitjustme?
05-30-2011, 01:11 PM
:jack

Another great post from the world's last Nic Cage fan.

leemajors
05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Another great post from the world's last Nic Cage fan.

I can assure you I am nowhere near the last.

RGMCSE
05-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Fuck me sideways. Shot a 50 on the 9-holer today :lmao

One step forward, two steps back.

Where is this 9 hole course?

John Basedow
05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Where is this 9 hole course?

I live in South Miami. It's Briar Bay Golf Course. Goat-grazing course, but it's still pretty challenging. Inexpensive as well ($15 including cart if you play twilight, $20 otherwise). Normally I walk if it's a 9-hole course, but it was 93 degrees today, so fuck that.

leemajors
05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
As you both alluded to, I do have a tendency to try and beat the shit out of the ball with the driver instead of letting the club do the work. My backswing is smooth but it's like I get blood lust in the downswing:lol

lee, my buddies have given me a couple tips but they have swinging tics as well. My godfather up in Pitt is a pro, but I don't live there anymore.

Everyone has their little tics, but a good golfer should be able to help with a problem watching you swing a couple times. It's just easier to observe someone else and diagnose.

DPG21920
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Brah, you keep saying you want something "that fits you". You can take any set of clubs and get them cut and sized to you.

John Basedow
05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Everyone has their little tics, but a good golfer should be able to help with a problem watching you swing a couple times. It's just easier to observe someone else and diagnose.

Originally, they noticed that my backswing was too hurried, so I slowed that down and it got better. My downswing I've been working on, but I still can't hit the driver or woods cleanly. I've actually regressed with these clubs.

Today at the 2nd hole (Par 4, 318 yds), I used a driver and took two swings. The first I whiffed completely, and the 2nd I topped and it dribbled several feet in front of me. I had the tee raised higher like you're supposed to for driver shots, but no luck. I said fuck this shit, pulled out a 3-iron, and hit it 230 yards down the left-center of the fairway. Then I proceeded to meltdown with the wedges (a recurring theme of the day). I didn't use the driver after that 2nd hole debacle. I fucking hate it.

Brah, you keep saying you want something "that fits you". You can take any set of clubs and get them cut and sized to you.

I know this, but no sense in paying to get these olds clubs fitted when I'm in the market for a new set. I'm gonna save up a little more and splurge around the end of June/4th of July weekend.

RGMCSE
05-30-2011, 04:30 PM
I live in South Miami. It's Briar Bay Golf Course. Goat-grazing course, but it's still pretty challenging. Inexpensive as well ($15 including cart if you play twilight, $20 otherwise). Normally I walk if it's a 9-hole course, but it was 93 degrees today, so fuck that.

ah ok, I kept wondering if SA has an executive course and couldn't think of one. It's hotter than a mother here too. I wanted to go play today too but I lacked motivation to get outside in 100 degree weather. It's barely down to 95 degrees now.

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 04:48 PM
For $500 you can get a used set of Callaway irons, which I still firmly believe are the best irons on the market......I've been hitting the same "Steelhead's" for the past five years and I love them.

As for drivers, who the fuck knows. I once had a Bertha that I could not hit for the life of me, not just slices or hooks, but chili dips and shanks constantly. I went to one of the stores where you hit into a screen, and after trying many different drivers I finally found one that I was hitting perfectly straight and between 275-300 every time I swung the club. I went out to my car, got my old driver for trade in, only to find out that it was the exact same fucking club. Same shaft and everything.

To this day, I can't miss with that driver.

John Basedow
06-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I quit.

symple19
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I played last weekend with my uncle and quit scoring after I broke a hunny. Don't ask which hole

As for clubs, I'm playing the same shitty sticks I was playing 5 years ago. No reason to upgrade when you suck

(Gary Player irons, TM 3 and a TM 9.5 driver which seems to fade EVERY FUCKING time)

symple19
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Golf is for masochists

John Basedow
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I had another disaster of a round...I've actually regressed quite a lot since playing regularly. I'll need some new clubs for sure now since I was already down a PW before I broke my putter and 7-iron today. There's not a more excruciatingly frustrating game/sport in the world than golf. I fucking hate it.

John Basedow
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Golf is for masochists

symple19
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
crofl, on the 13th hole I bought 3 mini jacks/w coke and a corona from the hottie beverage cart girl

My round became far more enjoyable after that.

Another great thing about the course I play is that the UK womens team practices there. Makes the scenery far more interesting

John Basedow
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
tbh I cut out the booze the last several times I played cause I was "trying" to really take it serious and improve my game. I think I definitely play better with a buzz

symple19
06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
tbh I cut out the booze the last several times I played cause I was "trying" to really take it serious and improve my game. I think I definitely play better with a buzz

I'm the opposite. Golf is a game where I have zero natural talent. I've been able to pick up other games fairly easily to the point where I become at least passably decent.

Tennis and Golf are the two that confound me, and I come from a golf-obsessed family.

I've been playing sporadicly (probably why I suck) since I was 6, and I'm as horrible now as I've ever been

So, I get all amped up to play well. Then, when shit starts to collapse by the 8th or 9th hole (if not before), I delve deeply into the cup and quit giving a fuck. Only then do I start to have fun

Ryan Fitzpatrick
06-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Picked it up again. Still can't hit a driver or any woods to save my life. I tee off with my old school Titleist 1-iron on Par 4's and 5's and have become quite good with it. My pitching game is still terrible though

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I play golf. I suck.

lebomb
06-18-2013, 09:49 AM

LMAO!!!! I just looked at the date on this shit!!!

Anyhow, I just bought a Adams Speedline 12 Driver........havent hit it yet. It was on sale, so I went for it. I read the reviews, and its a good forgiving driver for intermediate players that want to improve their game. Golf is a game you have to play at least once a week to be worth a fuck. Ive been playing sporadically for the last 15yrs and I suck as bad or worse than I did when i started. Basically I go out there to have fun and get fugged up by the back 9. I will never be good at golf, but its still a blast to hit an occasional great shot. Ive hit some really good ones, and some gotdayum bad ones. My best game ever is 100.

Spur|n|Austin
06-18-2013, 12:28 PM
I would recommend waiting until right before a new set is coming out and then pull the trigger on the previous set, as they are like a hundred bucks cheaper. I got these are 300 bucks about a year ago, absolutely love them.

http://www.golfoutletstore.us/images/upload/Image/TaylorMade%20Burner%202_0%20Irons.jpg

leemajors
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
there is no reason to buy brand new clubs. tons of used clubs out there for almost nothing.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I've never bought a new club in my life, but I'm pretty sure that's not why I suck.

Dirk Oneanddoneski
06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Picked it up again. Still can't hit a driver or any woods to save my life. I tee off with my old school Titleist 1-iron on Par 4's and 5's and have become quite good with it. My pitching game is still terrible though

Choke up on the woods, center the ball and swing like you do irons

Bill_Brasky
06-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Been shooting 70's lately tbh

Legacy
06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes, but I haven't played in a while. I used to play 2-3 times a week when I was living in Hawaii. Golf is addicting. I refused to play golf for the longest time, but my friends managed to drag me out on the court one day. I was most likely drunk off my ass, lol. Now... I looove me some golf!!! :D