PDA

View Full Version : Nike told Barkley to take it easy on the criticism of Lebron

cesare borgia
05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/05/25/nike.called.charles.barkley.lay.criticism.lebron.j ames

Quote:
Charles Barkley controversy alert. His latest subject of disdain…Nike. The sports wear company called Sir Charles to tell him to take it easy on his criticism of company poster-boy LeBron James, after being overly critical of "The Decision" as well as making numerous negative comments about the Miami Heat. Last week Barkley called the Heat whiny, and said they don't take responsibility for fans reactions to their cocky predictions before the season started. Heat fans have responded pretty hostile to Barkley during the Eastern Conference Finals, forcing TNT to move their studio show inside.

Barkley side:
Barkley said: “I don’t know if Dwyane’s upset with me, but I don’t sit around and worry about it.” He said LeBron James hasn’t said anything to him. “These athletes today are all wussified,” Barkley said. “I’ve been saying LeBron’s been the best player in the league for three years. And I say one thing criticizing The Decision, and I get a phone call from Nike saying why don’t I like LeBron? It’s interesting how this [expletive] works. These groups today, if you don’t say 100 percent positive about their guy or their team, they overreact.”
:rollin

shorttotry
05-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Nice

lefty
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Go Barkley, go Barkley !

WraithXx
05-26-2011, 01:15 PM
hahaha nice

fuck D-Whistle-Wheelchair-Wade and fuck Lebron

lefty
05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Sir Charles led NBA in dunks, interviews
By Bob Carter
Special to ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/i/classic/pixel.gif

"My idol a lot of times is Charles Barkley. I wish I could say what he says," says Wayne Gretzky on ESPN Classic's SportsCentury series.
The approval meter always had two ends and no center, just the way Charles Barkley liked it. You either enjoyed Barkley's rough and tumble basketball style and his shoot-from-the-hip mouth, or you hated it. The wide-bodied forward left no room for middle ground.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/classic/2001/0614/photo/s_bark76_i.jpgCharles Barkley, chosen fifth in the 1984 draft by the 76ers, was named to the NBA all-rookie team. His coaches, for the most part, loved him. They marveled at his deft touch, his extraordinary rebounding skills -- he averaged 10 or more rebounds a game in 15 of his 16 NBA seasons -- and his clutch play. They learned to live with his outbursts that often led to technical fouls and fines.
"With Charles, you've just got to accept the whole package," said his Philadelphia 76ers coach, Jimmy Lynam. "He's an emotional player, and that emotion is what makes him great."
Barkley, whose all-star career ended in 2000, rarely saw moderation as part of his game, or his life. He blew kisses to opposing fans while at Auburn and grinned when they'd poke fun at his eating habits by delivering pizzas to the court.
"I really don't eat that much," said the 6-foot-4½ Round Mound of Rebound, whose playing weight fluctuated between 250 and 280 pounds in college. "I just, more or less, tend to eat all the time."
In the NBA, Sir Charles frolicked with team mascots during timeouts, berated referees and chatted up cheerleaders. He talked almost non-stop. "That makes the game easier for me," he said, "because I'm always relaxed."
Barkley's impulsive manner created waves, though the media and many fans liked his frankness and humor. In 1991, he suggested that the 76ers would retain Dave Hoppen because the club didn't want an all-black team, igniting a racial firestorm in Philadelphia. :lmao :lmao That same year, in his aptly named autobiography, "Outrageous," he cited the shortcomings of some league players, including teammates.
He once joked after a tough game that he felt like going home and beating his wife, and pickets from women's groups soon appeared outside the Spectrum. :lol

"I don't think of myself as giving interviews," said the 1993 NBA Most Valuable Player. "I just have conversations. That gets me in trouble."
He said frequently that he had no regrets for anything he said or did, except for a 1991 night in New Jersey when he spit at a heckling fan and missed, hitting a little girl. He apologized.

“ When Charles leans on you, it's like being crushed by a trash compactor. ”

— Robert Parish On court, Barkley had better accuracy. He shot over 50 percent in each of his first nine NBA seasons, was selected for 11 All-Star Games (winning MVP honors in 1991) and earned all-league honors five times. Many considered him the best rebounder, inch for inch, ever.
He spent eight seasons with Philadelphia, four with Phoenix and four with Houston, averaging 22.1 points and 11.7 rebounds before retiring in 2000 as one of four NBA players who had 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists. The others were Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain and Karl Malone.
Barkley played on the U.S. Olympic "Dream" teams that won gold medals in 1992 and 1996 and was selected as one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history.
Charles Wade Barkley was born on Feb. 20, 1963 in Leeds, Ala., a small town near Birmingham. His father Frank left home shortly after his birth, and he was raised by his mother, Charcie Glenn, and his grandmother.
A pudgy 5-10, Barkley was cut from the varsity basketball team at Leeds High School as a sophomore. He grew four inches in the next year and became a standout player. As a senior, he outplayed Bobby Lee Hurt, a 6-9 center heralded as the state's top recruit, in a holiday tournament game, scoring 24 points and grabbing 20 rebounds.
At Auburn, Barkley averaged 14.1 points and 9.6 rebounds over three seasons and was the Southeastern Conference Player of the Year in 1984, leading the Tigers to their first NCAA Tournament berth.
Coach Sonny Smith questioned Barkley's training habits and tried to keep his star's size under control, but had no answer for his zesty interviews. "I think Charles boosts his weight," Smith said, "if it improves the interview."
Forgoing his senior season to become a pro, Barkley was chosen No. 5 in the draft by the 76ers in a famed first round in 1984 that included Michael Jordan, Akeem Olajuwon and John Stockton.
Barkley played at a more consistent 250 pounds as a pro and made an instant impact. Starting 60 of 82 games, he averaged 14 points and 8.6 rebounds, and made the league's all-rookie team. The Sixers lost to Boston in the Eastern Conference finals, starting one of Barkley's most disappointing legacies: He never won an NBA championship.
In his second season, he averaged 12.8 rebounds, second-best in the league, and his third year brought a rebound title with a 14.6 average -- it would be his career high -- and his first All-Star Game. By the 1987-88 season, he was a first-team all-league choice, scoring a career-high 28.3 points per game, and on his way to superstardom.
Barkley turned into a unique, extra physical talent. He was too quick for taller players, too strong for quicker, thinner ones, too skilled as a passer to be constantly double-teamed, too good of a shooter to be left alone for the mid-range jumper, too tough and strong-willed to be stopped on his powerful drives to the basket.
And he usually was at his best down the stretch, telling teammates, "Keep it close into the fourth quarter, and the last five minutes are mine."
In one three-year span (1988-90), he dunked 513 times, more than anyone in the league. No wonder coaches put up with defensive lapses, technicals and flagrant fouls. One of his dunks knocked a 2,200-pound basket support six inches off line.
"When Charles leans on you," said Boston 7-footer Robert Parish, "it's like being crushed by a trash compactor."
Barkley couldn't palm a ball to dunk but had great hands. "Soft enough to catch a bullet," said Smith, his college coach.
Despite his weight, he had a 39-inch vertical leap and terrific quickness. Said former coach Jack Ramsay: "I've never seen any big man quicker in reacting to the ball."

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/classic/2001/0614/photo/s_barksun_i.jpgCharles Barkley won the 1993 MVP and led the Suns to the NBA Finals in his first year with the Suns. After years of criticizing ownership, Barkley was traded by Philadelphia to Phoenix on June 17, 1992 for three players. Happy to be with a contender, he led the Suns to the league's best record (62-20) and to the NBA Finals, where they lost to Jordan and Chicago in six games.
He averaged 25.6 points and 12.2 rebounds in 76 games, sank a career-high 67 three-pointers and led the NBA with six triple-doubles.
Barkley became the third player to win the league MVP award right after being traded. "He gets rebounds that no one ever has gotten here," said Suns executive Cotton Fitzsimmons, the team's former coach. "Someone his size, how does he do it?"
Barkley's self-analysis: "It's all desire."
The desire to play started to erode the next season when chronic back pain limited Barkley to 65 games and he considered retirement. Though his scoring and rebounding numbers remained high for his last three seasons in Phoenix, he battled elbow, back and knee injuries.
In 1995-96, his final campaign with the Suns, he became the tenth player in league history to amass 20,000 points and 10,000 rebounds. Following the season he was traded to Houston. His appearances fell further with the Rockets and his scoring average dipped under 20 points. But his rebounding skills remained to the end (10.5 in 1999-2000).
Barkley suffered a torn quadriceps tendon on Dec. 8, 1999 in Philadelphia. He returned to play one final game, on April 19.
After retiring, Barkley has drawn raves as a studio analyst for TNT.

HeatChamps
05-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Welcome to South Beach bitch. Barkley is a fucking joke.

Sisk
05-26-2011, 02:23 PM

You're an idiot

CubanSucks
05-26-2011, 02:49 PM

lol what?

Josepatches_
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Sure he is

And he never was as good as LeBron is.

dunkman
05-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Air LeBron's are taking a hit 'cos of Sir. Charles . . .

Kamnik
05-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Go Barkley, go Barkley !

word!

Got to love chuck!!!!!

HornetLoveJones
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM

you mean the same South Beach where the team has to beg the fans to arrive on time so they don't have empty seats in the arena except after halftime? Yeah, nice sh*t they have going down there in South Bitch

http://www.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Miami-Heat-Fan-Up-e1290392138749.jpg
http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/screen-shot-2010-11-16-at-8-52-56-am.png

endrity
05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Sure he is

And he never was as good as LeBron is.

What does that have to do with anything we're talking about here?

z0sa
05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
The Fan-Up shit applies pretty equally to every major market, tbh

Especially LA, those fools might stay in their seats but they barely pay attention to the game

Nathan Explosion
05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Miami has the two best players in the league, and people still have trouble showing up to watch? I know that there are tons of things to do in Miami, like go to South Beach, but shit, if you're a fan, you'd never want to miss a second of the Lebron/Wade show.

Edit: Lebron has every tool to become the greatest ever. If he achieves that goal, wouldn't you want to tell your kids and grandkids you were there to see him play, like a lot of Bulls fans are probably saying about Jordan?

Girasuck
05-26-2011, 06:01 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Fucking idiot.

crc21209
05-26-2011, 06:08 PM
:lol Sir trash talk...

lefty
05-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Tonight's game should be interesting
:lol

HornetLoveJones
05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Miami has the two best players in the league, and people still have trouble showing up to watch? I know that there are tons of things to do in Miami, like go to South Beach, but shit, if you're a fan, you'd never want to miss a second of the Lebron/Wade show.

Edit: Lebron has every tool to become the greatest ever. If he achieves that goal, wouldn't you want to tell your kids and grandkids you were there to see him play, like a lot of Bulls fans are probably saying about Jordan?

Was fortunate to watch NBA obsessively during the Jordan era, watched the last decade with a bored face. Don't ever bring up LeBron in Jordan's company.

ALVAREZ6
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
LMAO Miami fans :lmao :lmao

lol fan up
lol douche bags
lol nike :cry :cry :cry

NewJerSpur
05-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Nike wanted to come out with some kicks called "The Decisions" and they're scared Barkeley might be single-handedly smashing their campaign :lol.

Killakobe81
05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Lebron is a better player than Chuck wa sin his prime, but it's not a wide of margin as some of you youngins think it is ...

Right now besides better advanced stats and 1 more MVP, what does Lebron have on Chuck accomplishment wise?

Lebron however, still is getting better and has plenty of chances to ring ...which Chuck never did.

endrity
05-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Lebron is a better player than Chuck wa sin his prime, but it's not a wide of margin as some of you youngins think it is ...

Right now besides better advanced stats and 1 more MVP, what does Lebron have on Chuck accomplishment wise?

Lebron however, still is getting better and has plenty of chances to ring ...which Chuck never did.

Yeah but that's not the point of the thread. Does someone need special requirements to be critical of something LBJ does??? And then NIKE needs to come after that dude? For real?

NewJerSpur
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Dude took it to Jordan/Pippen in triple overtime and still couldn't win the whole thing.....rough. I remember losing a bet to my pops over that series (he was a Michael Jordan fan and abandoned the Bulls for the Nets after the OFFICIAL retirement). I was sure Chuck, KJ, Majerle, Dumas, etc. would get it done.

Killakobe81
05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah but that's not the point of the thread. Does someone need special requirements to be critical of something LBJ does??? And then NIKE needs to come after that dude? For real?

Oh I agree with you. I was just responding to the moron that said Lebron is better than Chuck, which I believe to be true, but Chuck was badass in his prime. in fact I think he not Malone is best PF not to ring ...though Dirk is making me reconsider this ...

endrity
05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh I agree with you. I was just responding to the moron that said Lebron is better than Chuck, which I believe to be true, but Chuck was badass in his prime. in fact I think he not Malone is best PF not to ring ...though Dirk is making me reconsider this ...

agree with that. Malone had too much "hot potato" syndrom like KG does, they didn't really want the ball in their hands in the clutch too much.

Killakobe81
05-26-2011, 09:02 PM
agree with that. Malone had too much "hot potato" syndrom like KG does, they didn't really want the ball in their hands in the clutch too much.

Both Malone and KG lacked a few "clutch genes" Cwebb too ...