PDA

View Full Version : Why is the excuse train suddenly starting to roll for Derek Rose?

midnightpulp
05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
All I'm hearing and reading is that Rose needs help, a better supporting cast, someone to help take the pressure off of him, etc, etc.

Did I miss something? Did the Bulls uber-talented roster magically change in this series or something? Here's a player who plays with what is easily the best overall frontline in the East, yet he "needs help?"

What he needs is to be less ball dominant and learn how to make better and smarter entry passes. Rose severely suffers as a playmaker when his ability to drive is taken away, which the Heat, notably Lebron, took away all series.

Not hating on Rose. Kid is going to be a big time player, but to suggest he has no help is ridiculous.

BanditHiro
05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
He plays for Chicago...the NBA needs to protect their Big Market Stars

Red Hawk #21
05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
I really felt that someone like a Kirk Hinrich would have really helped out Derrick Rose in this series. The guy really struggled with creating opportunities for others. And it didn't help that no one besides him and CJ Watson were the only ballhandlers on that team.

picc84
05-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Less ball-dominant? To cater to who?

NewcastleKEG
05-26-2011, 10:51 PM
How
Many
Wide
Open
Shots
Did
Korver
+
Bogans
Miss?

How many point blank layups did Boozer miss?

TD 21
05-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Because it's obvious that he's going to need a secondary shot creator at SG to get by the Heat in the future.

It's more reason than excuse. Just like the Thunder's lack of experience. Why are they not allowed viable reasons, but Nowitzki is allowed an endless stream of excuses for a decade? People are still pretending he has no help, when almost their entire rotation has played about as well as they can possible play during the past two rounds.

TDMVPDPOY
excuses? should there be any? he wanted to win mvp didnt he?

he had the opportunity to recruit either 1 of the big 3 that was available

he wanted to be the man of the team, so thats what he got

lol no one is going to take boozers contract of their hands

TDMVPDPOY

Amaso
05-26-2011, 10:54 PM
All I'm hearing and reading is that Rose needs help, a better supporting cast, someone to help take the pressure off of him, etc, etc.

Did I miss something? Did the Bulls uber-talented roster magically change in this series or something? Here's a player who plays with what is easily the best overall frontline in the East, yet he "needs help?"

What he needs is to be less ball dominant and learn how to make better and smarter entry passes. Rose severely suffers as a playmaker when his ability to drive is taken away, which the Heat, notably Lebron, took away all series.

Not hating on Rose. Kid is going to be a big time player, but to suggest he has no help is ridiculous.

How does having the best frontline really matter when all of those front line players are hustle/defensive players besides Boozer, who was a no-show offensively? Who was claiming the Bulls had a talented roster? They have a deep roster without alot of true talent.

There's no point in being less ball-dominant when you are the ONLY playmaker on your team. Lebron played amazing defensively on Rose but alot of his impact would've completely changed had Rose had someone like Wade on his team like Lebron had.

dirk4mvp
Because it's obvious that he's going to need a secondary shot creator at SG to get by the Heat in the future.

It's more reason than excuse. Just like the Thunder's lack of experience. Why are they not allowed viable reasons, but Nowitzki is allowed an endless stream of excuses for a decade? People are still pretending he has no help, when almost their entire rotation has played about as well as they can possible play during the past two rounds.

:lol Can't stand the thought of Dirk getting that GD ring.

Tinystarz
How
Many
Wide
Open
Shots
Did
Korver
+
Bogans
Miss?

How many point blank layups did Boozer miss?

lets not bring up the past :lol

davethedope
Mvp mvp mvp

Red Hawk #21
05-26-2011, 10:55 PM

:lolwut? Nowitzki has been one of the most scrutinized and criticized players for the past 5 years.

PS-Nowitzki>>>>>rose

midnightpulp
05-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Less ball-dominant? To cater to who?

Before the series started, many felt the Bulls' primary matchup advantage was inside, yet Rose, who was being shutdown something fierce by Lebron, still felt the need to take 117 shots in this series?

Also, let's not forget this was essentially a 7 game 5 game series. Chicago blew two significant leads late in the 4th in back-to-back games. Last game Boozer and Deng went for 40 combined on 50% shooting while Rose stunk it up, so it patently obvious he has enough help.

All these excuses the media is making for him via criticism of his supporting cast reeks of big market star protection.

hitmanyr2k
05-26-2011, 10:59 PM

Rose actually wanted Joe Johnson who probably would have fit perfectly on the team. It's a shame JJ took that big paycheck to stay with the Hawks instead of trying to play with a contender.

NewcastleKEG
05-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Rose actually wanted Joe Johnson who probably would have fit perfectly on the team. It's a shame JJ took that big paycheck to stay with the Hawks instead of trying to play with a contender.
What are we gonna do with Boozer? Year 1 of 5 down and I'm already over him. He has 2 more playoffs of this kind of play. 10 & 7 guy.

We dont make the ECF without him and Rose/Thib don't win their awards bringing confidence and stability to the organization

But yeah he makes a lot.

picc84
05-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Before the series started, many felt the Bulls' primary matchup advantage was inside, yet Rose, who was being shutdown something fierce by Lebron, still felt the need to take 117 shots in this series?

Also, let's not forget this was essentially a 7 game 5 game series. Chicago blew two significant leads late in the 4th in back-to-back games. Last game Boozer and Deng went for 40 combined on 50% shooting while Rose stunk it up, so it patently obvious he has enough help.

All these excuses the media is making for him via criticism of his supporting cast reeks of big market star protection.

Did you watch Carlos Boozer this series? He couldn't make anything around the basket, and would pass up even more opportunities to shoot.

Noah can't score for shit.

Gibson is a jumpshooter who couldn't shoot after game 1.

Who was supposed to go to work on the block for Chicago? Kurt Thomas? :lol

Boozer and Deng get their points off of spot-up shots and put-backs. Neither can create their own shot consistently, especially against Miami. Rose wasn't stellar, or even good, this series, but acting like he had help and just didnt use it.... :rollin

DMC
05-26-2011, 11:14 PM
The same happened to MJ. Rose is no MJ. He's a PG, but the best PG in the league as far as having it all with some to spare. He's no Nash or Rondo at passing, and he's no Chris Paul at steals, no Parker with his drives in the paint and finesse, but he's got damn close to all of them (needs to work on passing just a bit). He's got a good team, really good team, but the Heat were stacked by the powers that be to win it all. Not much you can do about it unless you can stack your side. NY tried that, see what that got them.

DMC
05-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Did you watch Carlos Boozer this series? He couldn't make anything around the basket, and would pass up even more opportunities to shoot.

Boozer and Deng get their points off of spot-up shots and put-backs. Neither can create their own shot consistently, especially against Miami. Rose wasn't stellar, or even good, this series, but acting like he had help and just didnt use it.... :rollin
Boozer had a 20/11 and a 27/17 game in the series, and had 1 game where he was 1 rebound shy of a double double. I wouldn't say he was always shitty, but he was inconsistent, and the times he did well it didn't really make his team that much better. When he did poorly, he did really really bad. He was getting things someone else on his team would have gotten anyhow.

midnightpulp
05-26-2011, 11:32 PM

You're right. I'm not suggesting that the blame be placed entirely on Rose and that his cast be exonerated, but to act like Rose doesn't have a capable enough team to beat the Heat is wrong. They lost 3 games in crunch time, and to me, that speaks of Chicago's relative inexperience more than it does of an insufficient team. Yet, not once did I hear one of these analysts say that they need more big game experience, or that Rose needs to develop into a better playmaker. It was nothing but criticism of his supporting cast.

Rose is "not there" yet. But the media is somehow too afraid to admit it.

JamStone
05-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Rose has some nice talent around him. It just shows that it's not enough against a team that simply has more top end talent and plays great defense, just like Miami. Agree that the Bulls need another shot creator for the times opposing teams just force Rose to be only a jump shooter or force the ball out of his hands. Boozer is an okay secondary scorer, but he's more or less just a finisher, not a playmaker.

Rose has no excuses, but he doesn't need any either. He just needs to get better. For a third year player to help lead his team to the best record in the league and to a conference finals, I think he's right on course to being a great, great player. Sure he has things to work on. But I think he's on the right path so far.

picc84
05-26-2011, 11:38 PM
You're right. I'm not suggesting that the blame be placed entirely on Rose and that his cast be exonerated, but to act like Rose doesn't have a capable enough team to beat the Heat is wrong. They lost 3 games in crunch time, and to me, that speaks of Chicago's relative inexperience more than it does of an insufficient team. Yet, not once did I hear one of these analysts say that they need more big game experience, or that Rose needs to develop into a better playmaker. It was nothing but criticism of his supporting cast.

Rose is "not there" yet. But the media is somehow too afraid to admit it.

Thats a whole different criticism of Rose, which is warranted. He played like crap in the clutch, and his team is fishing because of it.

Attributing any of the series loss to his inability to utilize teammates who can't score for themselves is a mistake. If Rose plays better, we're still watching the ECF, obviously. If anyone else on the Bulls was capable of taking some of the pressure off him, we're also still watching it.

He may have shit the bed, but he was utterly ALONE out there on offense and that was blatantly clear.

ducks
05-26-2011, 11:41 PM
bulls coach got outcoached

bulls and thunder will be better next year
both got good lessons this year

DMC
05-26-2011, 11:46 PM

out coached... lol

Spo vs Thibbs

lol

hitmanyr2k
05-27-2011, 12:03 AM

I wouldn't say Thibs got out-coached. Spo simply did what any other coach would have done...swarm Rose and live with the outcome.

Thibs definitely made some mistakes on offense though. He kind of abandoned (or forgot) what the Bulls had done all year and relied too much on Rose in the end even when it was clear the kid was gassed. I don't think Rose got a breather the entire 2nd half of Games 2, 3 and 5...can't speak for 4 since I missed it. I also couldn't figure out why he had Korver out there if he wasn't going to try to get him shots. All year long and earlier in the playoffs they constantly ran Korver off staggered screens (similar to what Boston does with Ray Allen) to get him good looks. Even if Korver didn't get the shot it made the defense work and scramble out of position to keep up with him which opened up lanes for other players. Instead they had Korver flat-footed spotting up most of the time which defeated the purpose of him being out there in the first place.

Another thing I didn't like was they kept putting Rose and Noah in the pick and roll throughout the series when everyone and their mother knew the trap was going to stay with Rose because Noah isn't the best finisher. Thibs took too long to dust off Kurt Thomas and his consistent jumper and even when he did they still didn't work the pick and roll with him enough.

BlackSwordsMan
05-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I never agree with colin cowherd w/e his name is but he said why isn't there negative press on rose if lebron was in the same situation everyone would shit on him

hitmanyr2k
05-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I never agree with colin cowherd w/e his name is but he said why isn't there negative press on rose if lebron was in the same situation everyone would shit on him

I don't remember Lebron getting any negative press when he was a young player in the league going through his first playoff runs either. It wasn't until around his 6th year in the league when the "King James" novelty started to wear off that he started getting scrutinized for not winning a title.

jjktkk
05-27-2011, 12:40 AM
A somewhat similar situation to Lebron's run with the Cavs. Chicago is a Joe Johnson type wing from taking the next step.

FkLA
05-27-2011, 01:34 AM
A somewhat similar situation to Lebron's run with the Cavs. Chicago is a Joe Johnson type wing from taking the next step.

Was about to say the same. Both had solid role players but neither had anyone that could consistently create their own shot.

We actually did hear some of the same 'excuses' for Bron in Cleveland. Althought there also was some criticism in there...but that probably had alot to do with Bron having the potential to be the GOAT. Rose, as great as he is, doesnt and he's younger too this is his first year on the big stage as an elite player. I think if Rose continues to shit the bed in the ECF/Finals he'll start getting some criticism too.