PDA

View Full Version : TSA Could Ban Flights From Texas If State Passes Anti-Patdown Law

phxspurfan
05-27-2011, 11:47 AM
http://consumerist.com/2011/05/tsa-could-ban-flights-to-texas-if-state-passes-anti-patdown-law.html

A showdown is in the works over an anti-patdown law, which the Texas House of Representatives recently approved by a unanimous vote. Texas legislators say the rule is needed because existing laws "let government employees fondle innocent women, children and men."

Nathan Explosion
05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Finally Texas lawmakers taking a stand for something I agree with. Yeah, lets ban flights to the second most populated state in the union, the only state with of the 10 largest cities in the country and 2 of the 6th largest metro areas.

2 of the 10 busiest airports in the country will be shut down? 6 of the 50 busiest, with 4 of those 6 in Houston and DFW? Not likely.

z0sa
05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Secede!!!!

leemajors
05-27-2011, 12:41 PM
They already caved FYI, yesterday:

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/26/texas-anti-tsa-grope.html

Nathan Explosion
05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Leave it to Texas lawmakers to renege on promises (actually politicians in general). I think if Texas challenged the rule in federal court, the federal law can be struck down. All these pat downs aren't doing anything for safety, just creating lines and throwing away useful liquids.

And as Adam Carolla once said, if a terrorist wanted to strike again, they'd just take a liquid bomb, and "throw it away" in a trashcan next to the security line and then detonate it. Or suicide bomb in a security line before going through the checkpoint. How many people stand in that line and how many victims would there be all because we had to take off our shoes and be pat down if we refused to be bombarded by x-rays?

These rules are the illusion of safety. They had an Israeli security official review US travel policy, and he laughed at the airport "security" we have here saying it was flawed and ineffective.

Mark in Austin
05-27-2011, 05:46 PM
These rules are the illusion of safety. They had an Israeli security official review US travel policy, and he laughed at the airport "security" we have here saying it was flawed and ineffective.

As somebody who has traveled to Israel and experienced real airport security, I completely agree.

BlackSwordsMan
05-27-2011, 06:34 PM
we could always go back like in the wild west days and use wagons, trains and horses. I played red dead its not that hard

mingus
05-27-2011, 07:36 PM
i don't know what the big deal is about patdowns. then again i've haven't been felt up and i don't travel that often. i can see why it would be annoying for people who travel a lot and have to deal w/ patdowns constantly. maybe for the people who travel on a regular basis (i.e. for business) and clearly don't pose a threat (obviously nothing is definitive) you could allow them to bypass the procedure.

4>0rings
05-27-2011, 07:56 PM
i don't know what the big deal is about patdowns. then again i've haven't been felt up and i don't travel that often. i can see why it would be annoying for people who travel a lot and have to deal w/ patdowns constantly. maybe for the people who travel on a regular basis (i.e. for business) and clearly don't pose a threat (obviously nothing is definitive) you could allow them to bypass the procedure.Nor have you had your wife's vagina/breasts felt or your childs genetalia felt up. Still cool?

BlackSwordsMan
05-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd rather have that than a plane flown into a building

DMC
05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Political posturing at it's most obvious. What next, Texas going to claim property on the Moon and back down after the headlines?

DMC
05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Nor have you had your wife's vagina/breasts felt That costs more.

I fly 3 - 5 times a month on average. I've never been patted down. I've never seen anyone get patted down. If you refuse the detector, you accept the pat down.

I breeze through, never any issues.

4>0rings
05-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd rather have that than a plane flown into a building
What about if you don't have to get molested and not have a plane fly into a building?

You know you could die in a car accident, you should stop driving also.

Das Texan
05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Terrorists wont fly a commercial jet into a building again.

They are smarter than that.

Wild Cobra
05-27-2011, 09:13 PM

Well, they were smart enough to use a Boeing instead of an Airbus.

Those things fall out of the sky on their own.

BlackSwordsMan
05-27-2011, 09:38 PM
What about if you don't have to get molested and not have a plane fly into a building?

handjob and peanuts? You call that a bad day?

Nathan Explosion
05-28-2011, 12:21 AM

Yeah. As I stated earlier, Adam Carolla was commenting on how long the security lines are and how they tell you you have to pour liquids or throw away bottles into a trash can that's right next to the line of people that's snaking around the checkpoint and he thought, "This would be a good place to place a bomb because of all the people crammed into a tight spot with little room to escape."

And the bomber would never have to worry about getting past the checkpoint because they'd never reach it.

Also, I hear the x-ray machine emits the same amount of radiation as a dental x-ray, yet, don't dentist take precautions to protect themselves and you from the radiation during the x-ray?

And there are even issues about what can be seen during the x-ray. Again, it's all in the illusion of safety.

This is what the TSA is saying to people by claiming that the security checkpoints are preventing people from flying into buildings.

SdBn5G7Y2RA

Hell, Adam Carolla (he bitches a lot about the airports) accidentally took a good sized knife onto an airplane not that long ago. He was at some convention and one of his sponsors gave him a goodie bag. When he was on the plane he started sifting through the bag to see what he got, and pulled out a knife with a 2" blade or something like that. Doesn't seem that big, but if can cause some real damage if you stabbed someone in the neck with it. And he got by security with it without a hassle.

DMC
05-28-2011, 02:27 AM

That would totally kill the false dichotomy, then where would we be?