PDA

View Full Version : Texas brewers get hosed by their own reps in favor of global beer-maker

Spurminator
05-27-2011, 03:45 PM
http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2011/05/hb602-is-dead/

The latest effort by Texas’ small craft brewers to bolster their business by letting people leave tours with a six-pack or two is dead.

The final, unresolvable conflict was a last-minute objection by Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest beer company. The Belgium-based conglomerate, which brews Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob and other high-volume beers in breweries in Houston and elsewhere, opposed a provision in the bill that would have denied large manufacturers the ability to offer the take-home beers.

AB-InBev does not host regular tours.

A spokesman for Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said Thursday that time simply ran out on House Bill 602, which was never offered for a vote by the end of the day Wednesday, deadline for the Senate to consider bills approved by the other chamber.

While saying he’d never heard Dewhurst announce he would not formally recognize such an offer, as required per Senate rules, spokesman Mike Walz said the lieutenant governor had made clear he wanted the bill to create a “level playing field” that did not favor “a select few” brewers.

The bill would have allowed companies that produce no more than 75,000 barrels annually to charge varying rates for tours. Visitors could then take home up to 144 ounces of packaged beer, depending on how much they’d paid. The wording of the bill was designed to satisfy distributors, who in Texas have nearly exclusive rights to move beer from breweries to retailers.

Even in its limited form, the bill would have had a big impact in terms of marketing, brewers said.

Brad Farbstein, owner of Real Ale Brewing Co. in Blanco, said letting people take home beers after a tour, and share them with friends, would create new customers for stores, bars and restaurants, while adding tax revenue and allowing small breweries to expand.

“We weren’t privy to the back-room discussions and deals that get done,” he said.

Of AB-InBev’s opposition, he said, “I find it ironic. They haven’t had a tasting room open in Texas for 15 years.”

This session, both major distributors’ groups voiced public support for the bill. But Keith Strama, attorney representing the politically powerful Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas, said the group would not agree to it without the cap, since the bill should target small breweries seeking to build market share. Helping major manufacturers such as AB-InBev that collectively command more than 90 percent of the market, he added, “was not the purpose of this bill.”

State Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, who sat on the Senate committee that approved the bill with no amendments, said last Friday that he was prepared to offer one removing the cap should the bill come up for a vote. He also said he’d heard Dewhurst planned to hold up the bill unless such an amendment was added.

A spokesman for Senate sponsor Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville, has not yet returned a call for comment.

Campaign contribution records, compiled by Texas Tribune from Texas Ethics Commission filings, show that since 2000 Dewhurst and Whitmire have received $275,000 and $70,000, respectively, from distributors and their representatives, including John Nau, who owns Houston-based Silver Eagle Distributing, one of AB-InBev’s largest distributors.

Saint Arnold Brewing Co. founder Brock Wagner, one of the driving forces behind this and two previous legislative efforts, said he was “annoyed” at the continued failure to pass a bill that had no other organized opposition.

“We just got outgunned,” he said.

“The laws in Texas need to be changed,” he said. “Right now, the laws in Texas are biased against in-state craft breweries. It makes no sense.”

Wagner and Farbstein said the brewers will try again in 2013.

TIMELINE:

House Bill 602, which died when the Texas Senate failed to act on it, would have made an exception to existing alcohol laws by allowing small breweries to let tourists leave with small amounts of packaged beer. This was the third time state Rep. Jessica Farrar, D-Houston, has introduced such legislation — and the third time it has failed to overcome the opposition of major beer interests.

2007: Bill never made it out of a House committee.
2009: Bill was voted out of committee, only to die when it was never placed on the calendar for a vote by the full House.
2011: Bill passed the House and was voted out of committee in the Senate, but it was never brought up for a floor vote after last-minute objections from Anhueser-Busch InBev.

Join Beer, TX on Facebook at facebook.com/rcrocker.beertx or follow me on Twitter: @rcrocker

fyatuk
05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Having a brother who has worked in brewing, that SUCKS.

boutons_deux
05-27-2011, 04:46 PM
TX Repugs love themselves a "free market", as long as they are paid well to keep it "free" of intrusive big govt (and "Christian" Taleban) overreach.

CubanMustGo
05-27-2011, 05:05 PM
So fucking tired of our "representatives" representing their wallets instead of the people.

Das Texan
05-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Im constantly surprised when people bitch and bitch and bitch, yet send the same mother fuckers to represent them time and again.

ChuckD
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Republifail.

RandomGuy
05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Im constantly surprised when people bitch and bitch and bitch, yet send the same mother fuckers to represent them time and again.

Not me man. When our current jackass liberal-bashing, "look how conservative I am" representative comes up for re-election, I am going to volunteer for his opponent.

I highly doubt representative Isaac is going to get a second term. He seems more worried about catering to the tea party line than worrying about the local issues affecting his district.

Das Texan
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
i still find it funny how rick perry and his boys seem to be getting a free pass for fucking our budget.

Meanwhile that crazy as fuck Granny Strayhorn was pretty much right, even though Perry and Co pretty much laughed at her and called her retarded.

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2011, 05:54 AM
This session, both major distributors’ groups voiced public support for the bill. But Keith Strama, attorney representing the politically powerful Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas, said the group would not agree to it without the cap, since the bill should target small breweries seeking to build market share. Helping major manufacturers such as AB-InBev that collectively command more than 90 percent of the market, he added, “was not the purpose of this bill.”

The big boys won't allow for ANY competition.

The bill would have allowed companies that produce no more than 75,000 barrels annually to charge varying rates for tours. Visitors could then take home up to 144 ounces of packaged beer, depending on how much they’d paid. The wording of the bill was designed to satisfy distributors, who in Texas have nearly exclusive rights to move beer from breweries to retailers.

WTF? How byzantine can you get?

boutons_deux
05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
"How byzantine can you get"

As byzantine as the lawyer-whores can spin it. Byzantine knows no limits, and lawyers know nothing called self-respect. They'll whore any project they're paid to whore.

scott
05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Here is a copy and paste of my comments on the subject on another message board.

Allow me to chime in and say a few things.

First, Silver Eagle - and The Beer Alliance (TBA), of which Silver Eagle is a prominent member - were huge supporters of HB 660 and that bill would not have gotten as far as it did without them. Furthermore, Silver Eagle and TBA have been supporters of the St. Arnold bill throughout the years, not just this session. John Nau (President of Silver Eagle) sees where the beer business is going and has been progressive enough to want to be on the leading edge of the change, rather than caught in the wake of it. Does Silver Eagle make most of their money by carrying A-B products? Yes. Is there anything wrong with that? Not if you ask me.

HB 602 never had a size limitation placed on it until the WBDT put it to let it out of committee. That's why A-B was never against before, it was never directly discriminating against them (along with MillerCoors and Spoetzel) until WBDT put this in. Of course A-B would be against this - why wouldn't ANY business be against potential legislation that gives their competitors an unfair advantage? Some of you may know that I'm not just a beermonkey, but an Economics professor too, so when I say this it's because I *actually* believe in free markets, unlike people who say they are just to get elected. I believe A-B should be allowed the same rights as every other brewery. I think there should be no distinction between breweries and brewpubs, no matter the size. Call me crazy.

So, here is the WBDT, a group that has taken increasing heat over the years for opposing progress in getting fair beer laws. Everyone is well aware how they buy their way to the legislation they want. Everyone knows how they do this in their own self-interest. They constantly take a beating in the press. They saw a golden opportunity to let someone else be the bad guy here, and it paid off in spades. They knew A-B would be against this, and they knew it would kill the bill. But the WBDT never wanted this bill, so they just used A-B to do the dirty work for them. Silver Eagle, being primarily an A-B house (but a house that was one of the first to break A-B exclusivity, and they are one of the largest if not the large distributor in the nation) has to obviously go with A-B on this. I don't blame them.

Keith Strama, the WBDT's lawyer, is quoted saying "this bill was about helping the small breweries, not giants like A-B." But remember, this is the same snake who stood up in the HB660 hearing and gave a rambling, incoherent diatribe about how babies in dry counties would be chugging barleywine on streetcorners if we allowed brewpubs to distribute.

Bottom line: the WBDT are liars and snakes and will do whatever they can to make sure their pockets are lined first and foremost. I have no problem saying this because even if it means a bill like HB660 will never pass, there is nothing they can ever do to my existing business.

Boycotting Silver Eagle or A-B isn't going to solve anything (heck, most of us have been "boycotting" A-B for years in the sense we don't drink their products). Boycotting Silver Eagle just hurts the great people and my friends at St. Arnold. Boycotting BEK only hurts the great people and my friends at Real Ale.

The WBDT is your enemy. They don't even listen to their own members. I can't say who, but they have prominant members who supported HB660 but the WBDT went against their memberships wishes.

The solution: keep buying Texas Craft Beer. Only when the distributors have the financial incentive to do so will they finally get out of the way. And spend the next 2 years writing your reps CONSTANTLY telling them your feelings on this topic. Tell them how much it will influence your vote. I've already begun on the 2013 strategy for the brewpub bill, and part of that includes coming up with a list of candidates Texas Beer Freedom (the organization) will endorse.

Thanks for reading.

Scott Metzger
Freetail Brewing Co.

scott
05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Not me man. When our current jackass liberal-bashing, "look how conservative I am" representative comes up for re-election, I am going to volunteer for his opponent.

I highly doubt representative Isaac is going to get a second term. He seems more worried about catering to the tea party line than worrying about the local issues affecting his district.

I don't know much about Rep. Issac but I will tell you that he was a supporter of the brewpub bill.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-28-2011, 09:57 PM
whoops

MannyIsGod
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
whoops

I don't think RG was making hiss decision based on any one bill.

Whoops indeed.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-29-2011, 10:49 AM
"He seems more worried about catering to the tea party line than worrying about the local issues affecting his district."

greyforest
05-30-2011, 05:17 AM
“The laws in Texas need to be changed,” he said. “Right now, the laws in Texas are biased against in-state craft breweries. It makes no sense.”

It makes perfect sense. Welcome to America.

boutons_deux
05-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Just another example of voters being disenfranchised by UCA.

While the Dems aren't innocent, they're way behind the Repugs in protecting/enriching the Corporate-Americans capitalists by fucking over Human-Americans.

Maybe one of these decades, you right-wingers will see, but not admit, how fucking evil and destructive the Repugs are, how VRWC/conservative strategy since St Ronnie has pushed USA into a hole, and how, eg Ryan's crap, and current Repug tactics fully intend to keep USA in a hole to the benefit of UCA and Wall St.

boutons_deux
05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10007954.html?tag=mncol

Lizard_King
05-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Whats the point of this thread? :rolleyes

RandomGuy
05-31-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't know much about Rep. Issac but I will tell you that he was a supporter of the brewpub bill.

Good thing, in my book.

From what I have seen about some of his other stances, statements and votes though, I am not overly impressed.

I still want to have a conversation with him at some point, just to get a good feel for the man, although I am not overly sure that would change my decision. I will try to keep an open mind.

boutons_deux
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Gov. Walker Targets Wisconsin’s Craft Breweries

craft brewers — the 60 of whom make up just 5 percent of the beer market in Wisconsin — like corporate mega-brewers, forcing them to use a wholesale distributor to market their product. Under the provision, it would be illegal, for instance, for a small brewer located near a restaurant to walk next door to deliver a case of beer. They’ll have to hire a middle man to do it instead.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/print/gov_scott_walker_targets_wisconsins_craft_brewerie s_20110611/

==========

Repugs fuck everybody everywhere to protect and enrich corps and capitalists.

ChuckD
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Gov. Walker Targets Wisconsin’s Craft Breweries

craft brewers — the 60 of whom make up just 5 percent of the beer market in Wisconsin — like corporate mega-brewers, forcing them to use a wholesale distributor to market their product. Under the provision, it would be illegal, for instance, for a small brewer located near a restaurant to walk next door to deliver a case of beer. They’ll have to hire a middle man to do it instead.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/print/gov_scott_walker_targets_wisconsins_craft_brewerie s_20110611/

==========

Repugs fuck everybody everywhere to protect and enrich corps and capitalists.

Recalls can't come quick enough, especially Darth Walker.

Spurminator
06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Typical small-government / deregulation conservatism.

PublicOption
06-16-2011, 07:23 AM
TX Repugs love themselves a "free market", as long as they are paid well to keep it "free" of intrusive big govt (and "Christian" Taleban) overreach.

"free market" is bullshit:lmao. I laugh when I hear repugs talk about "free market". We live in a Fascist market, Managed market....whatever you want to call it, but we don't live in a free market by any means.

To actually have a law that forbids a private company from giving away beer....how "American" is that repugs:lmao