Bruno
05-27-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_carl_landry.jpg
Born: Sep 19, 1983
Height: 6-9 / 2.06
Weight: 248 lbs. / 112.5 kg.
College: Purdue
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/carl_landry/career_stats.html)

mountainballer
06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
just wondered why there isn't a single oppinion about him posted.
let's face our possibilities, this is one of the FAs Spurs might have a chance to get. (assuming the new CBA can't totally annul the MLE or compareable exceptions to get a FA)
Horntes are limited with their financial possibilities (and they also need to extend David West, which will be a priority over Landry), so they might not be able to match a MLE type offer.
and yes, I know what Landry can't do. question is, are his qualities what Spurs need? (scoring, very good midrange game, great P&R, decent post defense)

btw. Hornets are owned by the league. what do they allow them regarding signing new contracts?

k_nguyen93
06-19-2011, 12:15 PM
I'll pass. He can score but look at his rebounds? Blair would eat him up on the boards. He could have Jefferson effect on Spurs with all the scoring from guards.

k_nguyen93
06-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Well first better be Manu/Splitter's agent promising Gasol that Duncan will take paycut if he comes to San Antonio. Spanish star in San Antonio? Yes please.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-20-2011, 01:40 AM
i wouldnt be dissapointed if he was signed. he is young & has already become one of the better PF's in the nba. he would be a nice pickup for the future. he did pretty well against the lakers huge frontcourt.

mountainballer
06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
just tried to point out in the David West thread, that the opting out of West might increase the chance to get Landry, if Spurs see him as an option.
IMO Hornets will very likely re sign West, so they will have less (or no) money to re sign Landry.
as I mentioned last week, I think Landry is one of the few realistic options to improve the roster via free agency, he will be a typical MLE signing. with the Spurs he would take the starting spot at the 4, with Blair (Bonner) as his back up.
Tim will start at center, play for 25 MPG, so there will be enough minutes for Tiago. Tim-Tiago + Landry-Blair
is a nice big rotation. there are some reservations about Landry's rebounding, maybe if he plays alongside a rebounding force like Leonard, this won't be that much of an issue any more. (and he is still a better rebounder than Bonner)
however, Landry should be able to fit nice alongside Tim, on offense as well as on defense.

if Spurs can do this and they manage to sign a decent vet PG as back up for Tony (or somehow trade for such a player), they might be significantly better than last season.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2011, 11:32 AM
i think the NOH is going to dump most of its players, and sell the team...

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-28-2011, 03:27 PM
looking at his vids and stats. i want him to sign even more. dont know about everyone else but i have him 1st on my FA list. we have Leonard & so we can overlook rebounding & seeing how he will be on floor with either duncan or splitter. hes only 27, he has playoff experience with rockets and hornets and shows he doesnt crack under pressure. we dont need another old vet signing. a good young player like landry with a signing o a good vet like T.J Ford could get us back to being real contenders along with anderson & splitter getting real play time. also he would take alot of minutes away from bonner because he can spread the floor.

Nathan89
06-29-2011, 01:03 AM
I doubt the Spurs will even be able to afford this guy. That being said I would love have him on the team. He played very well against the lakers in the playoffs. He can shoot the mid-range shot which is nice to have when playing next to Duncan and Splitter. On top of that he showed the ability to drive the ball against Pau. This guy will make the offense very efficient and can take a lot of the scoring load off of Duncan. Although I don't think the Spurs will be able to afford him, it's only by a slim margin so I still have a little hope.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-29-2011, 01:27 AM
I doubt the Spurs will even be able to afford this guy. That being said I would love have him on the team. He played very well against the lakers in the playoffs. He can shoot the mid-range shot which is nice to have when playing next to Duncan and Splitter. On top of that he showed the ability to drive the ball against Pau. This guy will make the offense very efficient and can take a lot of the scoring load off of Duncan. Although I don't think the Spurs will be able to afford him, it's only by a slim margin so I still have a little hope.

thats what i was thinking. i would say he will land a multiple year contract with the first year starting from 5-8 mil. depends on who goes after him. if big markets go after him like the lakers or Mavs(who need a backup for Dirk) then we have no chance but i say we have as good of a chance as any other small market team thats over the cap.

Nathan89
06-29-2011, 02:41 AM
thats what i was thinking. i would say he will land a multiple year contract with the first year starting from 5-8 mil. depends on who goes after him. if big markets go after him like the lakers or Mavs(who need a backup for Dirk) then we have no chance but i say we have as good of a chance as any other small market team thats over the cap.

I don't think the Mavs or Lakers will get Landry. The team that signs him is going to need some money and a need for a solid pf. If I had to guess the three teams I think he might go to are:

1. Pacers
2. Nuggets
3. Hornets

mountainballer
06-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Pacers definitely, question is if at any costs. rumors say they will go for either West and Landry, knowing the Hornets likely will only be able to keep one of them.
question is, will they make other FAs priority over a player like Landry, for example Humphries, who might be a better fit considering Hibberts weaknesses. (rebounding). Landry is also somehow similar to Hansbrough.

Nuggets try to extend Afflalo and Chandler, this would eat their cap space. don't forget they have Harrington and Anderson on pretty big long term contracts as well. but yes, they will be interested as a possible K-Mart replacement, but they likely won't/can't offer more than the MLE.

SenorSpur
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Landry wouldn't and shouldn't be the first option for the Spurs. However, they could do worse. As mentioned earlier, he plays good D, but isn't a tenacious rebounder. Does have a presence and is a decent enough scoring threat.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Landry wouldn't and shouldn't be the first option for the Spurs. However, they could do worse. As mentioned earlier, he plays good D, but isn't a tenacious rebounder. Does have a presence and is a decent enough scoring threat.

we have size in duncan and splitter. we need a solid starting PF good enough that would eat away the majority of bonners minutes. signing a guy like Aaron Gray or Fresenko wont help any if bonner is getting 20-30 mins at PF. anyway any one else other than Kmart and landry would take the 5th big spot. like the draft this is a weak FA class.