PDA

View Full Version : Game 1's Unsung Heros: Nazr and Big Dog

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Nazr straight up outplays Ben Wallace...

Nazr: 10 points, 7 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 0 turnover, 4-8 FG, 2-2 FT.
BWall: 5 points, 7 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 1 turnover, 2-5 FG, 1-2 FT.

Nazr is playing his way towards spending the rest of his career getting paid well and playing ball next to Tim Duncan.

Glenn "Defense Is My Middle Name" Robinson:
6 minutes, 3 boards, 3 blocks.

The Big Dog is back, and his bite is as vicious as ever.

nkdlunch
06-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Nazr >> Ben "supposedly DPY"

'nuff said

Manu20
06-09-2005, 11:53 PM
I hope Big dog gets more minutes in game 2.

mookie2001
06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
big dog was

BIG

Dre_7
06-09-2005, 11:55 PM
6 minutes, 3 boards, 3 blocks.

The Big Dog is back, and his bite is as vicious as ever.

:lmao @ "Defense Is My Middle Name"

Word!

milkyway21
06-09-2005, 11:59 PM
NBA Finals notebook
Popovich says Big Dog won't play much in series
Posted: Thursday June 9, 2005 10:52PM; Updated: Thursday June 9, 2005 10:52PM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Gregg Popovich can't think of many ways Glenn Robinson could play a big role in the San Antonio Spurs' championship drive.

"You know, people foul out and get hurt," Popovich said Thursday before Game 1 of the NBA Finals. "That's about it."
Even though the Big Dog was one of the league's better pure scorers of the previous 10 seasons, Popovich doesn't think the recently acquired veteran forward is ready to be a big factor in San Antonio's pursuit of a third championship in seven seasons against the Detroit Pistons.

"The guy hasn't played in five months or something like that," Popovich said. "We're not just going to throw that guy in there just because he's a scorer. ... It's not like I'm going home and beating my head against the wall about how I'm going to get him in the rotation."

Robinson, who was on the injured list with Philadelphia and New Orleans for most of the year, averaged 10 points per game in his nine appearances with the Spurs in the regular season. San Antonio initially hoped to sign Karl Malone late in the season before settling on Robinson to provide a possible spark to their sometimes stagnant offense.

Robinson played briefly in the early part of the playoffs, but didn't play in the Western Conference finals, missing the first three games of the series against Phoenix to deal with family business before sitting on the bench for the final two.

Though Popovich doesn't count on it, Robinson is ready to make whatever contribution necessary. The No. 1 overall draft pick in 1994 reached the conference finals with Milwaukee in 2001, but is in his first NBA Finals.

"I'm just trying to stay ready if they need me," Robinson said. "This is what you wait for in your career."

i hope Pops change his mind & give him a little bit more min.......he had 3 blocks :wow

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
^^^^^ dude, milkyway, you should know by now that you can pretty much expect Pop to do the opposite of what he says.

Mr. Body
06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Three blocks? Wow.

I wanted to see him get more time. Now I Definitely want to see him get more time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Big Dog is enjoying every minute of this playoff run.

And he's playing like it's his last, balls to the wall.

I think he'll keep playing like that.

AND I think he'll be here next year.

Mr. Body
06-10-2005, 12:05 AM
dude, milkyway, you should know by now that you can pretty much expect Pop to do the opposite of what he says.

Every quote in that article looked like a smoke screen to me.

You know, I'm beginning to think so, too.

NeoConIV
06-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Big dawg's dunk was so freaking timely too...his dunk put a lid on that sloppy play...it was just the boost we needed..

grjr
06-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Pop put Big Dog in there in the first period and we made a nice comeback. Then he sits him for Devin to start the 2nd period and things kinda went stale.

More Big Dog---Less Devin.

Dingle Barry
06-10-2005, 12:30 AM
It is truly shocking to see glenn f'ing robinson out there playing solid D. I bet you anything every single coach in the league is impressed by that.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I'd agree with the premise of the thread -- Big Dog brought a palpable difference to the game; his rebounding was strong, but his on-the-ball defense was tremendous in the short spurts that he got. He's already been a difference maker in the series.

Nazr was great, too. A workman-like effort from the big fella -- good garbage points and nice work on the glass against Big Ben. I'd be thrilled if Nazr could rebound and box out like that for the rest of this series, even if he doesn't score a single point. He was a little impatient after one offensive board -- he needed to pass out of a double and reset the offense and, instead, forced a bad, bad shot. But beyond that, I thought Nazr made plays tonight that Malik Rose couldn't have ever made in that setting. No offense to Malik -- I absolutely love Malik -- but Nazr is vital to winning this series and his presence is more meaningful than Malik's would have been.

Mark in Austin
06-10-2005, 12:48 AM
My fav big dog play was when both he and Horry were above the rim following a Duncan chip shot. Duncan made it, but that kind of offensive hustle, combined with his freakish D makes him an incredible luxury for Pop to have.

I hope both these guys stay / are extended, because I'd love to see what Glenn and Nazr could do with more time in the system. I think as the Spurs run more motion, especially w/ Scola being another player with lots of motion experience, it really plays to Robinson's offensive strengths. Plus it fills a gap - the Spurs really don't have a mid-range shooter anywhere near Robinson's caliber.

The Spurs offense and defensive systems could extend Robinson's career for several years.

As far as Nazr goes, he's really showed us something tonight. His athleticisim was on full display. It looks like the rest really helped Nazr, just as much as it helped Tim and Manu, if not more. He's still being caught out of position multiple times a game, but has, more often than not either recovered or come down to the other end and made a great play.

Props to them both.

SouthernFried
06-10-2005, 12:54 AM
My fav big dog play was when both he and Horry were above the rim following a Duncan chip shot. Duncan made it, but that kind of offensive hustle, combined with his freakish D makes him an incredible luxury for Pop to have.

Man, I noticed that too...almost makes u wish Duncan missed that shot, cuz one of those two were gonna slam it back. Impressive to see them BOTH over the rim on an offensive rebound.

Glenn looked like a monster out there.

Mr. Body
06-10-2005, 12:56 AM
I hope both these guys stay / are extended, because I'd love to see what Glenn and Nazr could do with more time in the system.

If Robinson continues with us next year (and doesn't mind coming off the bench), that would be absolutely mad. You can tell he's itching for the ball and shots, though is the good soldier for the team's benefit. Can you imagine running plays off for him? Giving him 15 minutes or so a game?

Add that, possibly, to Scola, another gifted scorer, and with Barry and Udrih, and possibly Nesterovic, you have a crazy talented scoring unit.

myhc
06-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Damn, since when did Glenn Freaking Robinson turn into a defensive force? That was a nasty block he had on Prince I think it was. The Spurs defensive philosophy is contagious! :elephant :elephant

T Park
06-10-2005, 01:11 AM
just let Glenn play Devin and Brent Barry's minutes and be done with it.

Next....

milkyway21
06-10-2005, 01:29 AM
i think BIG DOG is the luckiest NBA player in the 2005 playoffs

cause if Malone signed, who would have thought of him?
Poor Malone:cry

jcrod
06-10-2005, 01:35 AM
didn't see this thread before i opened one. bdog was huge, put him in instead of barry. who said he can't play defense

milkyway21
06-10-2005, 01:50 AM
dont say that bastards name here milky

:lmao

milkyway21
06-10-2005, 02:07 AM
BTW, Aggie could you please ADD Bruce Bowen in the title?

thanks in advance:lmao

wildbill2u
06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Nazr straight up outplays Ben Wallace...

Nazr: 10 points, 7 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 0 turnover, 4-8 FG, 2-2 FT.
BWall: 5 points, 7 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 1 turnover, 2-5 FG, 1-2 FT.

Nazr is playing his way towards spending the rest of his career getting paid well and playing ball next to Tim Duncan.

6 minutes, 3 boards, 3 blocks.The Big Dog is back, and his bite is as vicious as ever.

Absolutely. The Spurs are more than a one-superstar,..er two-superstars, ...Ok, three superstars, team. You never know who is going to surprise you with a good game because we have good players at every position and great depth as well.

milkyway21
06-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Big Dog is enjoying every minute of this playoff run.

And he's playing like it's his last, balls to the wall.

I think he'll keep playing like that.

i think Big Dog will still be a Spur next season,too.

from Express News:

As are the Spurs, who signed him April 4 and have been thrilled with the way Robinson has adjusted to being a role player. :rolleyes

Robinson missed the first three games of the Western Conference finals to attend his mother's funeral. He received a round of applause from his teammates when he rejoined the Spurs during a film session before Game 4 against Phoenix.

team-work
06-11-2005, 05:27 AM
In Spurs' 2003 Championship run, the most special player to get his first ring was probably Kevin Willis, after all his 19 years' quest. This year that player should be Glen Robinson, because of his up and downs this year (including coping with his mother's death.)

Brodels
06-11-2005, 08:02 AM
It's fun to watch him. He still gets beat on D too frequently, but he seems to find a way to recover and get his hands on the ball somehow. I couldn't believe one of the blocks he had in game one...it's crazy that he's actually playing defense. I love it.

He's been great. That having been said, I still can't imagine him bolting San Antonio for more playing time. If the Spurs win, he'll have his ring. And he can still probably get more money and playing time elsewhere. We'll see, but I can't imagine him coming back.

ducks
06-11-2005, 09:01 AM
ok if spurs will only keep devin brown or big dog
WHO DO YOU GO WITH
And yes I know they have bird rights with devin brown but spurs do have a budget

wildbill2u
06-11-2005, 10:46 AM
San Antonio is going to become the mecca for veterans and superstars who never got a ring but are willing to buy into the Spur's team concept and contribute.

You can start a list with Ferry, Willis, and now Robinson and Barry. I exempt Elie and Kerr because they already had rings--but they still wanted to play on a winner.