PDA

View Full Version : Coach Jim Tressel out at Ohio State

Pistons < Spurs
05-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel has resigned, university sources told The Dispatch today.

Less than three months after President E. Gordon Gee and Athletic Director Gene Smith said they fully supported their embattled coach, mounting pressure, a pending NCAA disciplinary hearing and new revelations about the culture of the program forced the university to act on their once-revered coach, sources said.

Neither Gee, Smith nor Tressel could be reached immediately for comment.

Sources said assistant coach Luke Fickell, who had been named to coach the first five games of the season while Tressel served his suspension for withholding information from the university compliance office and the NCAA, will serve as interim coach of the Buckeyes all of next season.

The Dispatch has obtained a memo Gee sent to OSU trustees this morning:

"I write to let you know that later this morning we will be announcing the resignation of Jim Tressel as head coach of the University's football program. As you all know, I appointed a special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program. In consultation with the senior leadership of the University and the senior leadership of the Board, I have been actively reviewing the matter and have accepted Coach Tressel's resignation.

"My public statement will include our common understanding that throughout all we do, we are One University with one set of standards and one overarching mission. The University's enduring public purposes and its tradition of excellence continue to guide our actions," Gee wrote.

Ohio State's football program came under fire in December when six players were suspended by the NCAA for selling or trading uniforms and other memorabilia to a Columbus tattoo-parlor owner. The NCAA also drew criticism for allowing the players to participate in the Sugar Bowl instead of serving their suspensions immediately.

Tattoo-parlor owner Edward Rife was under investigation for drug trafficking when his unrelated trading for OSU memorabilia came to light. It was revealed in federal court on Friday that Edward Rife, owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos on Sullivant Avenue on the Hilltop, agreed in December to plead guilty to drug trafficking and money laundering. As part of the agreement, Rife must forfeit all of his OSU memorabilia if he does not come up with $50,000, the amount federal investigators say he made in profit selling marijuana.

Tressel expressed surprise in December at the revelations of his players being involved with the tattoo-parlor operator, but the university learned in January that Tressel was told of the relationship last April in an email from a former OSU player. The coach did not share that information with the university as his contract requires, nor did he reveal it when he signed an NCAA compliance form in September verifying that he was unaware of any possible violations.

He was suspended two games and fined $250,000 for his actions. He requested that his suspension be increased to five games to match the penalty his players received. The university obliged.

Tressel's contract was renewed last spring through 2014. He earns about $3.7 million annually in salary and other incentives. He leaves Ohio State with an impressive coaching resume, having led the school to its fifth national title as well as directing impressive runs of Big Ten championships and victories over archrival Michigan.

The coach who came to Ohio State from Division I-AA Youngtown State University leaves OSU as one of the most recognizable figures in college football and all sports with a record of 106-22 at OSU. His http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/05/30/ohio-state-news.html?sid=101

Pistons < Spurs
05-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Embattled coach Jim Tressel has resigned from Ohio State, The Columbus Dispatch has reported, citing university sources.

The news comes two weeks after Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith affirmed his support for the coach, who has coached Ohio State for 11 seasons.

At the Big Ten spring meetings earlier this month, Smith -- while declining to discuss any details of an ongoing NCAA investigation of Tressel -- said his outlook toward the coach's position hadn't wavered.

"Oh, definitely, no question," Smith said. "I haven't changed, I haven't changed. But I'm not talking about the case beyond that."

Smith noted last month in an interview with The Associated Press that Tressel should have apologized at a March 8 news conference, where Tressel acknowledged he failed to notify Ohio State officials of emails he received about some of his players receiving improper benefits.

Smith has also talked about the high legal costs Ohio State is dealing with, calling the ongoing NCAA situation "a nightmare."

Tressel also received support at the spring meetings from fellow coaches such as Michigan State's Mark Dantonio and Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, as well as from Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne, a longtime friend.

"Coaches are great," Tressel said. "They understand all the challenges everyone has. It's good to be with them."http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

Kyle Orton
05-30-2011, 08:44 AM
blessing in disguise for OSU tbh. Sucks that he resigned after they coulda hired a solid replacement next season, but now OSU won't choke away games with pussy play calling and a run heavy offense that should be pass first with all the weapons it has.

tlongII
05-30-2011, 09:17 AM
blessing in disguise for OSU tbh. Sucks that he resigned after they coulda hired a solid replacement next season, but now OSU won't choke away games with pussy play calling and a run heavy offense that should be pass first with all the weapons it has.

Blessing in disguise? :lol :wtf

Six consecutive Big-10 championships and a natty during his reign and you think this is good for Ohio State???

IronMexican
05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Not a blessing in disguise. It will hurt them this year, and probably next. I know OSU is a very prestigious college, but he actually got 5 star recruits in a state like Ohio.

JMarkJohns
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Blessing in disguise because on his watch they had several pay-for-play scandals, including the $1000 a week car wash job, a bunch of crap with Clarett, and now this memorabilia sales. Factor in a few other off the field issues and the NCAA could have come down pretty hard on OSU had Tressel remained coach. Now the sanction could follow Tressel, but be light for the University.

Oh, and the only reason Tressel was so successful at OSU is because AP and coach voters still labor under the delusion that the Big-10 is a powerhouse. Save for the 2002 Title Game, OSU has been blown out in every major matchup vs. other similar programs. If we want to get technical about it, Miami beat OSU in that Title game, but the refs robbed them, calling a BS defensive pass interference in the endzone to all-but ensure OSU's win in overtime. That pass interference call is largely considered one of the worst calls in a Title game and basically giftwrapped the win for OSU.

JMarkJohns
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Supposedly Sports Illustrated has a tell-all report coming out in next week's issue exposing the levels of corruption in the program that Tressel was involved in or knew about. SI might release an internet version (so smaller) of the report as a teaser tonight.

The writer of the piece said via twitter that the resignation and timing will make sense once the story is read.

AD Gene Smith may be in some trouble too...

DMX7
05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I think Tressel is a stand-up kind of guy who I respect, but he just lost control of this program and started turning a blind eye to too many things.

JMarkJohns
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I think Tressel is a stand-up kind of guy who I respect, but he just lost control of this program and started turning a blind eye to too many things.

Shit has been going on for a decade now. He hasn't been at OSU much longer than that. He's a dirty coach hiding behind a facade of propriety. Whether or not he orchestrated all the pay-for-play dealings, he's known about them and would rather cover them up and deal with them. This tattoo scandal is still just the latest and last of them.

tlongII
05-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Blessing in disguise because on his watch they had several pay-for-play scandals, including the $1000 a week car wash job, a bunch of crap with Clarett, and now this memorabilia sales. Factor in a few other off the field issues and the NCAA could have come down pretty hard on OSU had Tressel remained coach. Now the sanction could follow Tressel, but be light for the University.

Oh, and the only reason Tressel was so successful at OSU is because AP and coach voters still labor under the delusion that the Big-10 is a powerhouse. Save for the 2002 Title Game, OSU has been blown out in every major matchup vs. other similar programs. If we want to get technical about it, Miami beat OSU in that Title game, but the refs robbed them, calling a BS defensive pass interference in the endzone to all-but ensure OSU's win in overtime. That pass interference call is largely considered one of the worst calls in a Title game and basically giftwrapped the win for OSU.

There is no way this doesn't hit the school just as hard as it hits Tressel.

shyne
05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Makes me appreciate ole Mack even after last seasons abortion.

symple19
05-30-2011, 12:49 PM

goods

leemajors
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM

He knew everything and just sat there and lied over and over. How can you respect that? Dude was dirty at Youngstown State too.

tlongII
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Because of the USC precedent Ohio State is going to get hammered.

Brutalis
05-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Auburn is fucking ignorant if they think they are getting off now that OSU is burning in flames. They will be next and it will be 2x worse likely. And what's even worse for them is there are still NCAA investigators in the state of Arkansas questioning coaches about Auburn's recruiting. Also in Louisiana as well. There has been 2 articles about it in the state paper this month alone. It's a brewin something big.

OSU should vacate everything in Jim's years as coach. He is a complete dumb fucking idiot of a disgrace. That guy shouldn't be allowed to get another coaching job in this country.

symple19
05-30-2011, 02:41 PM
love how brutalis makes every one of these types of threads into an Auburn thing. Your asspain knows no bounds

JoeTait75
05-30-2011, 04:19 PM
If we want to get technical about it, Miami beat OSU in that Title game, but the refs robbed them, calling a BS defensive pass interference in the endzone to all-but ensure OSU's win in overtime. That pass interference call is largely considered one of the worst calls in a Title game and basically giftwrapped the win for OSU.

Miami, which was one of the most penalized teams in college football that season, had 30 yards in penalties against Ohio State, in a double-overtime game. That was a third of their average penalty yardage. Miami's offensive line got away with blatant holds all night against an Ohio State DL that destroyed them right from the start.

Also, Ohio State should have clinched the game in regulation. But Chris Gamble's first-down catch with two minutes left was ruled incomplete despite the fact that he had BOTH feet in bounds AND was obviously held on the play.

Ohio State outplayed Miami in that game and controlled the tempo. Miami was very fortunate to force overtime, TBH. Not to mention the Canes failed to stop Ohio State on a 4th-and-13 three plays before the pass interference call.

Anyway, it's in the books to stay: 2002 Buckeyes, 14-0, National Champions.

JMarkJohns
05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Miami, which was one of the most penalized teams in college football that season, had 30 yards in penalties against Ohio State, in a double-overtime game. That was a third of their average penalty yardage. Miami's offensive line got away with blatant holds all night against an Ohio State DL that destroyed them right from the start.

Also, Ohio State should have clinched the game in regulation. But Chris Gamble's first-down catch with two minutes left was ruled incomplete despite the fact that he had BOTH feet in bounds AND was obviously held on the play.

Ohio State outplayed Miami in that game and controlled the tempo. Miami was very fortunate to force overtime, TBH. Not to mention the Canes failed to stop Ohio State on a 4th-and-13 three plays before the pass interference call.

Anyway, it's in the books to stay: 2002 Buckeyes, 14-0, National Champions.

In the books until it's vacated... who knows. If we're gonna just bring every scenario into it, McGahee being out from early had a HUGE impact on the game.

JoeTait75
05-30-2011, 06:13 PM
In the books until it's vacated... who knows.

There's no reason to believe Ohio State's 2002 title will ever be vacated. For all the talk about the malfeasance that went on during Tressel's tenure at YSU, none of their titles have been vacated.

If we're gonna just bring every scenario into it, McGahee being out from early had a HUGE impact on the game.

McGahee didn't get hurt until the fourth quarter. He had 63 yards on 20 carries, barely over three yards per carry. No one ran on Ohio State that year.

Isitjustme?
05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
BOOM!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

DMX7
05-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Auburn is probably next up on the list.

JMarkJohns
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
BOOM!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

Pretty tame for all the hype.

elbamba
05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Because of the USC precedent Ohio State is going to get hammered.

Agreed. They will lose scholarships and bowl games for a a couple of years I think.

rjv
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Pretty tame for all the hype.

seemed pretty egregious to me

Sisk
05-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Corruption in college football? Oh my...

symple19
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
I think it was the length of time this allegedly went on that makes it so egregious

JMarkJohns
05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
I think it was the length of time this allegedly went on that makes it so egregious

Agreed. I was looking for one or two big damnations, not a lengthy list of this and that with maybe a link to a few heavy infractions.

I got the gun, but it wasn't smoking.

JamStone
05-31-2011, 05:51 PM
There's no reason to believe Ohio State's 2002 title will ever be vacated. For all the talk about the malfeasance that went on during Tressel's tenure at YSU, none of their titles have been vacated.

The one big violation case at Youngstown that got the NCAA involved happened with a kid on the 1991 national championship team. The reason Youngstown kept that 1991 championship was because the statute of limitations had expired for the NCAA to strip or vacate it after the investigation was complete.

I don't know what the current statute of limitations is that would apply to OSU. So maybe that will come into play so they can keep their championship. However, I also agree with what some have already suggested on here, and that is that USC would be the more appropriate precedent, not Youngstown. The NCAA has more at stake considering Ohio State being in a major BCS conference and as a perennial football power on the national stage, as opposed to a smaller division 1-AA school like Youngstown. USC's title was already vacated by the NCAA. I would tend to think there's enough reason to believe Ohio State will get its championship vacated as well, unless as I mentioned the statute of limitations prevents that from happening. The pattern of violations and the apparent ongoing nature of those violations do not help their case though.

JoeTait75
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
USC's title was already vacated by the NCAA. I would tend to think there's enough reason to believe Ohio State will get its championship vacated as well, unless as I mentioned the statute of limitations prevents that from happening.

The difference is that the subject of the original investigation at USC- Reggie Bush- was on the 2004 team. None of the "Tat 5" were on Ohio State's 2002 team. All they have regarding 2002 is the allegations of a few anonymous, untrustworthy sources.

My guess is the NCAA will be satisfied with Tressel's head, along with possibly Gene Smith's and Gordon Gee's. (Neither of the latter two were at Ohio State in 2002.) They'll reach back to 2008, Terrelle Pryor's freshman season, for ammunition for sanctions and that will be it.

Ohio State's 2002 BCS Championship will stay on the books, as it should.

JMarkJohns
05-31-2011, 07:26 PM
The difference is that the subject of the original investigation at USC- Reggie Bush- was on the 2004 team. None of the "Tat 5" were on Ohio State's 2002 team. All they have regarding 2002 is the allegations of a few anonymous, untrustworthy sources.

My guess is the NCAA will be satisfied with Tressel's head, along with possibly Gene Smith's and Gordon Gee's. (Neither of the latter two were at Ohio State in 2002.) They'll reach back to 2008, Terrelle Pryor's freshman season, for ammunition for sanctions and that will be it.

Ohio State's 2002 BCS Championship will stay on the books, as it should.

Clarrett was found guilty of receiving improper benefits, and if ties can be made from Tressel to the middle man of any kind, I wouldn't be so sure. Lack of knowledge is no longer the excuse it once was in the early 90s.

symple19
05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
if the NCAA can prove that improprieties did indeed take place as far back as 02' (as the SI article states) then it could certainly be vacated

fwiw, I hope that doesn't happen, despite my dislike of OSU

symple19
06-01-2011, 11:02 AM
lol @ this article... Poor Tressel

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Former-Ohio-State-coach-Jim-Tressel-is-product-of-flawed-system-053111?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

The Gemini Method
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
lol @ all the Bucknuts who used to laugh at USC's shady doings...lol @ all the other idiots who think their programs are 100% clean.

tlongII
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I doubt we're 100% clean, but we're pretty clean.

JoeTait75
06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I doubt we're 100% clean, but we're pretty clean.

I doubt you were that clean when Dennis Erickson was the head coach.

The Gemini Method
06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
The whole system is rotten. It doesn't behoove anyone to say contrary. That is something that should be admitted first and then the changing of the culture would need to follow that. At this point, I can't see collegiate sports ever being clean unless you allow kids to go pro after their senior year in H.S.--which is insane in contact sports like football. Just ceases to amaze me how much Tressel has gotten away with over the decade plus. Even at Youngstown St. he supposedly didn't know his QB was taking 10k.

It's a shame what USC did...what Oklahoma did in the 80's and with the dealership incident...etc...etc...it's also a shame what the NCAA continues to do by raking in billions and committing a command of ethics that seems kind've contradictory to me...

JamStone
06-01-2011, 03:08 PM
"Clean" is a subjective term. I think most people, especially fans of college football and basketball know that the top programs do shady shit all the time. And even the coaches and programs with the "cleanest" images have their share of skeletons in their closets. But when you get caught, you take the fall, you pay the price, and you don't get a "well everyone does it" sympathy pass. The thing with Tressel and any other coach or program that likes to pat itself on its back, wax rhapsodic about their holier than thou approach to the game, preach about discipline and doing things the right way is that when you get caught, you can't play victim. You can't avoid getting bashed for the hypocrisy, the pretentious righteousness. You get caught, even if everyone else is doing it, you get shitted on. That's how it should be. For everyone. Not just for Tressel. Not just for Ohio State. Not just for USC football. Not just for Michigan basketball. Everyone.

We know shit goes on behind the scenes. But once you get caught, you take your medicine, pay the price, and sleep in the bed you made.

Did I use enough cliches?

tlongII
06-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I doubt you were that clean when Dennis Erickson was the head coach.

Oh no doubt about that! :lol Riley runs a pretty clean program I think.

The Gemini Method
06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
The Sports Illustrated article on the Ohio St. situation is an interesting read. The blantant disregard the athletes were showing is amazing. I wonder, though, for the remainder of their lives will they look on their tats as symbols of a crooked past?

symple19
06-01-2011, 08:50 PM
"Clean" is a subjective term. I think most people, especially fans of college football and basketball know that the top programs do shady shit all the time. And even the coaches and programs with the "cleanest" images have their share of skeletons in their closets. But when you get caught, you take the fall, you pay the price, and you don't get a "well everyone does it" sympathy pass. The thing with Tressel and any other coach or program that likes to pat itself on its back, wax rhapsodic about their holier than thou approach to the game, preach about discipline and doing things the right way is that when you get caught, you can't play victim. You can't avoid getting bashed for the hypocrisy, the pretentious righteousness. You get caught, even if everyone else is doing it, you get shitted on. That's how it should be. For everyone. Not just for Tressel. Not just for Ohio State. Not just for USC football. Not just for Michigan basketball. Everyone.

We know shit goes on behind the scenes. But once you get caught, you take your medicine, pay the price, and sleep in the bed you made.

Did I use enough cliches?

as usual, jam with the goods

there's a reason they're cliches

symple19
06-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I still think the biggest problem are those on the periphery; boosters, street agents, parents etc

These are people who will never be controlled, no matter how much a coach/staff can do.

It's time to look outside the box for a solution, one I don't pretend to have

JoeTait75
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
It's time to look outside the box for a solution, one I don't pretend to have

I don't think there is a solution.

As long as there's this much importance placed on amateur athletics, as long as you have young men with talent in close proximity to old men with money and an interest in the success of a program, as long as you have so many temptations and choices available to these kids, things like this are always going to happen.

There's no draining this swamp.

symple19
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think there is a solution.

As long as there's this much importance placed on amateur athletics, as long as you have young men with talent in close proximity to old men with money and an interest in the success of a program, as long as you have so many temptations and choices available to these kids, things like this are always going to happen.

There's no draining this swamp.

as usual, you make a great point

I just want to see the playing field leveled. Programs like ours (not that Auburn really approaches OSU in all-time notoriety/accomplishments) are under the microscope far more than others. Thus, we become the scapegoats/examples(USC too, and Bama).

Do we pay these kids? If we do, does that mean people will just pay them more behind the scenes? Why should student/athletes be treated differently than an Economics major on scholarship? It boggles the mind.

At the end of the day, I believe all of this is a symptom of our modern society. Greed, and the obsession with being a winner cloud everyone's better judgement.

IMO, the only way to change this is to change our money grubbing society. And that's just not going to happen anytime soon.

You're good people, JT

JamStone
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
There's little anyone can do about boosters, agents, parents. That's outside program control.

But, as we see in the case of Ohio State, what is absolutely tantamount is that when a school/program discovers the indiscretion, immediate and appropriate action must be taken on that student-athlete. The biggest problems come when the student-athlete involved is a star player and coaches and the school find every avenue they can take not to punish a star player in a way that will hurt the team and team success.

I think when the bigger schools with the bigger programs start disciplining star players more strictly, it will help become a deterrent for even the star players who think they can get away with it. And that will help alleviate the influence of the outside-the-program problems without having to try to control them.

Let's take the example of Cam Newton (nothing against you, symple). Say as soon as an investigation is started no matter when it takes place, the NCAA automatically makes him ineligible to play and contact is cut off with coaches and school resources. He can go to class. And you can't force teammates to not talk to him. But he can't talk to coaches. He can't work out at the football facilities. And he's suspended from play. If the NCAA or the different college conferences started proactively implementing much more strict penalties then you at least scare a bunch of kids into not taking the chance. Will there still be violations? Sure. Will things be done even more low key and behind the scenes? I'm sure. But I think you prevent a whole lot of shit too. Think about Cam Newton getting penalized in the middle of their championship season. But beyond that, think about him not having the resources of the school facilities to train and get ready for the NFL draft. He can't have a pro day on campus. And he can't get attention from the football team's medical staff regarding anything. Now, someone will end up helping him out somehow, but it does make things far more difficult on him and his career aspirations for the time being, directly attributable to being investigated for potential violations.

I think stricter penalties are needed to prevent this shit. I think schools need to hold a higher standard on how they treat star players who make mistakes. No, schools and the NCAA can't control some things. But perhaps they can really make student-athletes think long and hard before doing something they know is wrong.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-02-2011, 12:20 AM
lol @ all the Bucknuts who used to laugh at USC's shady doings...lol @ all the other idiots who think their programs are 100% clean.
I know my program is clean because of how bad our last few recruiting classes have been. You don't need to be dirty to have the 75th best recruiting class in the country :lol

JoeTait75
06-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Do we pay these kids? If we do, does that mean people will just pay them more behind the scenes?

Of course. It would still be the same arms race. I mean, how much could athletic programs pay these kids per month even if they were allowed? $500? $1000? You'd still have the same "friends of the program" offering more and more over and beyond what was allowed.

Anyway, there's no way these kids can ever be paid because of Title IX if nothing else. If they pay football players they're going to have to pay female volleyball and lacrosse players too. It would bankrupt every athletic program in the country.

If anything they should at least allow these kids to profit from stuff like memorabilia and tickets. I get why Ohio State is going to be punished, I'm not trying to say they shouldn't be punished, but I think the rule itself, the one Pryor and the rest broke, is stupid. Why shouldn't these guys be allowed to sell their own property?

JamStone
06-02-2011, 08:47 AM
There's just too much opportunity for abuse. Where do schools and the NCAA draw the line? What is the money used for? Just so they can get by? Is it just to pay for rent like some have claimed? Is it to buy weed, alcohol, and tattoos? Is it even more like other drugs, prostitutes? Are they selling merchandise because they can't even get by without selling them? Or is it because they can't party like they want without selling them? Or is it because they can't live the way they want without selling them. Once the NCAA allows players to sell merchandise and autographs for profit, then they are also indirectly allowing what goes beyond the trade of merchandise for money. What is the money for? Schools and the NCAA can't control what kids do with the money, so they safer approach is to not allow student-athletes to pawn stuff off for money. How do you implement institutional control to prevent abuse?

The problem goes further than the student-athletes just being able to sell their own stuff. You have to look to why these players can't live without doing it when they get free scholarship and room and board paid for. Sure, it's nice to have extra pocket money when you're a college student. But why do some of these kids have $1000 monthly rent and $500 monthly car notes? They're college students, not first year associates at an accounting firm. The indiscretions start at the root of the problem, the student-athletes and their lifestyles. They're treated like rockstars so they want to live like rockstars too.

Yes, the whole system is flawed. And a lot of it goes to how big a money producers college football and college basketball are. But even if you feel like the system is to blame and outside factors like greedy parents or shady agents and boosters share blame, don't let the student-athletes off the hook. I think the vast majority of cases where there are student-athlete violations, the kids knew or had a very good idea of what they were getting themselves into. Just because other players are doing it, it doesn't mean you don't know it's wrong.

JoeTait75
06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
The problem goes further than the student-athletes just being able to sell their own stuff. You have to look to why these players can't live without doing it when they get free scholarship and room and board paid for. Sure, it's nice to have extra pocket money when you're a college student. But why do some of these kids have $1000 monthly rent and $500 monthly car notes? They're college students, not first year associates at an accounting firm. The indiscretions start at the root of the problem, the student-athletes and their lifestyles. They're treated like rockstars so they want to live like rockstars too.

LeCharles Bentley has a radio show in Cleveland and he made this exact point yesterday. He said there are levels of expectations that come with being a big-time college athlete: you're expected to dress a certain way, live a certain way and drive a certain car to act the part.

He also said that when he would come back to Columbus in the summer to work out- and this is when he was playing in the NFL- there really wasn't much of a difference between the cars in an NFL players' lot and the cars in the college players' lot, with the egregious exceptions of Bentleys and things like that.

JamStone
06-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah it's just really hard to control everything enough to make a huge impact on stopping all the shady shit. And while I think the NCAA would like to clean up a lot of stuff, I don't believe they do everything they can to really make a huge step in preventing this shit from happening. The penalties just aren't always enough. Say you're a big time player at a big time school and you're projected to be a third round pick or better in the NFL or a first round pick in the NBA. If you lose eligibility, how bad does it hurt you? You'll still end up getting drafted and playing professionally and make big money. How bad has Reggie Bush or OJ Mayo been punished really? Has it really hurt Chris Webber's basketball career that he can't have contact with the University of Michigan for a number of years (forget how many exactly). They're not taking his money or his job opportunities as an NBA analyst. Players (especially those who have futures in pro sports) don't really get hurt when they're caught.

So what if the NCAA worked with the NBA and NFL and did something like if a NCAA student-athlete gets caught with serious enough violations, they would have to wait a two year period after they are actually eligible to go into the draft before being able to enter the draft? Think that would deter players from some of these violations? The violations now only really affect the universities or football/basketball programs.

Or a guy like John Callipari. He gets caught, and oh well... he can just quit and go to another school. What if the NCAA institutes a rule that if a coach or athletic director gets caught multiple times or with serious enough violations, they are banned from getting another NCAA job for a period of 5 years? It doesn't prevent them from getting a job in the NFL or NBA, but at least a guy like Callipari won't be able to just get another (even better) gig so quickly after leaving a program in violation shambles.

I just think the NCAA needs to take a good, long look at the extent they can actually find serious and legitimate ways to really stop a lot of this stuff from continuing to happen. The NCAA will make an example of a school here and there, but I don't think they do enough to address the problem and how serious it is.

Thompson
06-02-2011, 06:56 PM
More evidence is coming to light; someone really should have noticed this.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/198010/buckeyehelmet.jpg

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/198010/buckeyehelmet.jpg

JMarkJohns
06-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I like how because Pryor's car is in service he gets to drive a Nissan Z at no charge and love how the kid's attorney is saying this treatment is no different than treatment for anyone else...

If that's the case, that service center better have a shit ton of Nissan Z's available in the coming days because I 'spect a run on car servicings.

NFO
06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I like how because Pryor's car is in service he gets to drive a Nissan Z at no charge and love how the kid's attorney is saying this treatment is no different than treatment for anyone else...

If that's the case, that service center better have a shit ton of Nissan Z's available in the coming days because I 'spect a run on car servicings.

Sounds like you have been reading one to many SI articles lately.

Pryor's first car was a Hyundai Sonata, which Pryor drove for a year, and the second was a Dodger Charger, both bought in the Pryors' hometown of Jeanette, Pa.

The Charger was recently traded in for the 2007 Nissan 350Z that Pryor drove to a team meeting Monday night. James provided the bill of sale that showed a trade-in of more than $7,000 for the Charger, with Pryor's mother then paying $11,435.05 for the car, financed at nearly $300 a month for more than four years.

On ESPN Joe Schad said that Pryor drove a "new Nissan sports car"' earlier this week, and that TP's attorney told him that Terrelle's mom "purchased that vehicle for about $11,000."

No mention of the fact the car has 80,000 miles on it, or that the trade-in of TP's previous Dodge was part of the deal.

Pretty objective reporting by Joe Schad, who provided slanted and biased reporting that would make casual viewers wonder how TP's mom was able to buy a "new Nissan Sports car" for "about $11,000".

But I'm not surprised, it's ESPN.

JMarkJohns
06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds like you have been reading one to many SI articles lately.

Pryor's first car was a Hyundai Sonata, which Pryor drove for a year, and the second was a Dodger Charger, both bought in the Pryors' hometown of Jeanette, Pa.

The Charger was recently traded in for the 2007 Nissan 350Z that Pryor drove to a team meeting Monday night. James provided the bill of sale that showed a trade-in of more than $7,000 for the Charger, with Pryor's mother then paying $11,435.05 for the car, financed at nearly $300 a month for more than four years.

On ESPN Joe Schad said that Pryor drove a "new Nissan sports car"' earlier this week, and that TP's attorney told him that Terrelle's mom "purchased that vehicle for about $11,000."

No mention of the fact the car has 80,000 miles on it, or that the trade-in of TP's previous Dodge was part of the deal.

Pretty objective reporting by Joe Schad, who provided slanted and biased reporting that would make casual viewers wonder how TP's mom was able to buy a "new Nissan Sports car" for "about $11,000".

But I'm not surprised, it's ESPN.

If I'm mistaken, fine, but I was going off what the lawyer was saying. Said something about a car being serviced and the cars being driven by Pryor were loaners available to anyone getting their car serviced. If the Z wasn't involved in that, OK... If it was, the notion that it isn't special treatment is ridiculous because no dealership is providing a free of charge Z loaner for a serviced Charger.

Kyle Orton
06-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Terrell Pryor's mom miraculously coming up with $11,000 to drop on a car no matter how old is fishy enough.

NFO
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Terrell Pryor's mom miraculously coming up with $11,000 to drop on a car no matter how old is fishy enough.

Who said she came up with $11,000????

She was put on a 51 month payment plan for about $280 a month. Now if your questioning how she miraculously came up with the first payment of roughly $280 then that is a different story.

I don't blame you at at but not all the facts are given when these stories are released causing in this case for you to believe that Pryor's mom laid down $11,000 for the car that was purchased on 5/24/11.

NFO
06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
If I'm mistaken, fine, but I was going off what the lawyer was saying. Said something about a car being serviced and the cars being driven by Pryor were loaners available to anyone getting their car serviced. If the Z wasn't involved in that, OK... If it was, the notion that it isn't special treatment is ridiculous because no dealership is providing a free of charge Z loaner for a serviced Charger.

There is an issue with a car Pryor had serviced where he did receive a loaner car, but it was no 350Z.

I'm not sure on that dealerships policy where Pryor went, but I have received a loaner for taking my car into a local dealership.

Blake
06-03-2011, 04:59 PM
does the car issue have any bearing on whether Pryor will play this coming season for Ohio St?

NFO
06-03-2011, 05:48 PM
does the car issue have any bearing on whether Pryor will play this coming season for Ohio St?

In general terms I would say yes.

As far as the 350Z car issue I would say "no" on that particular car issue, but there are other cars he used in which could very well affect his eligibility next year past the 5 games he is already suspended for.

Personally I don't think he plays another down for Ohio State. Time will tell I guess.

JMarkJohns
06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
If that financing has any sort of immediate payment relief in expectancy of future income, it would be a violation. You qualify for financing on what is earned NOW, and a $300 car payment isn't that easy to come up with for people without steady, well-paying work.

Perhaps his mom has such a job? I'm not privy. But this isn't the first issue with Ohio State stars and cars, so I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt, even if it is just $11,000 financed over 4 years at $300 per month.

NFO
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM
If that financing has any sort of immediate payment relief in expectancy of future income, it would be a violation.

agreed.

Perhaps his mom has such a job? I'm not privy. But this isn't the first issue with Ohio State stars and cars, so I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt, even if it is just $11,000 financed over 4 years at $300 per month.

It has been reported in the Columbus Dispatch the Pryor's mom lives in Columbus and works as a lab tech at a hospital in the Columbus area making betweem $10 to $15 an hour. The Dispatch also reported that she works on average between 40-50 hrs per week.

This is for the 350Z car, specifically.

I think the issue with Pryor and cars are the loaners he received at a dealership where the his Dodge Charger was purchased and he was having work done on it. The owner of that dealership has come out and said he does the same thing for all customers who have purchased a vehicle there. My guess is that is what the NCAA is looking at more closely than the 350Z car.

NFO
06-04-2011, 08:14 PM
FWIW

Ohio State football: More suspensions unlikely, lawyer says (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/04/more-suspensions-unlikely-lawyer-says.html?sid=101)

Owner Of Tattoo Shop Disputes Much Of Sports Illustrated Article (http://www.10tv.com/live/content/teninvestigates/stories/2011/06/03/story-ohio-state-football-tattoo-owner-dispute-article.html?sid=102)

tlongII
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Apparently Pryor was breaking rules. Why would he quit OSU otherwise?

rold50
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

COLUMBUS -- Terrelle Pryor, who announced through his attorney Tuesday that he would bypass his senior season at Ohio State, made thousands of dollars autographing memorabilia in 2009-10, a former friend who says he witnessed the transactions has told "Outside the Lines."

The signings for cash, which would be a violation of NCAA rules, occurred a minimum of 35 to 40 times, netting Pryor anywhere from $20,000 to $40,000 that year, the former friend says. The source spoke to ESPN under the condition that his face not be aired on TV and that his name not be published.

He said Pryor was paid $500 to $1,000 each time he signed mini football helmets and other gear for a Columbus businessman and freelance photographer, Dennis Talbott. Talbott twice denied to ESPN that he ever paid Pryor or any other active Buckeye athlete to sign memorabilia. He said last week he has only worked with former players to set up signings. On Tuesday evening, he declined to comment whether he had ever operated a sports memorabilia business and said he was not an Ohio State booster.

Pryor's former friend also told "Outside the Lines" that the player often received preferential treatment in the Columbus community, receiving thousands of dollars in free food at local restaurants and convenience stores, free drinks at bars and free tattoos. In addition, he said the quarterback had access to free loaner cars from local dealerships. The source said he spent nearly every day with Pryor before their relationship soured when Pryor began taking on a more "arrogant" attitude after his 2009-10 season.

He said Pryor would get the merchandise to sign from Talbott, who would "bring it to TP, and he would sign it and he would bring him cash. Dennis would give him cash." He said he witnessed the transactions occur about three to four times a week at Pryor's apartment.

The former friend said Pryor would spend his money lavishly at times, that the player had a "shoe fetish" and bought many expensive hats, belts and pieces of jewelry. He said he was particularly fond of Gucci items. ESPN independently confirmed Pryor made multiple such purchases.

Pryor's attorney, Larry James, denied the allegations against his client.

Pryor may not have been the first active Buckeye player to collect cash for signatures from Talbott. The parent of one former Ohio State player told "Outside the Lines" that he saw Talbott provide what he called "stacks of money" to active Buckeye players, including a player now in the NFL.

Pryor's former friend said he was wary of Talbott: "He's the type of person that ... I think he really took advantage over TP because he was that person, and he would bring him, he would bring TP like memorabilia to sell for other people. So Dennis is not a good guy for college athletes. That's the guy you really don't want to be around."

Talbott, 40, shot photos of the major sports teams in Ohio, including Ohio State and the Cincinnati Bengals, as a freelance photographer. He has sold images to ESPN.com in the past.

On Tuesday, he denied that he ever received game tickets from players, though records from Ohio State show that he and his wife were on a player's will-call ticket list multiple times throughout the 2008 season. When asked about those records, Talbott said he couldn't remember if he had received such tickets.

According to public websites, Talbott claims to have earned an undergraduate degree from Kent State University and later attended Ohio State briefly.

He has managed or owned staffing and employment recruiting businesses over the last decade, though a search of public records reveals a series of liens and financial judgments against him. The most substantial include an Internal Revenue Service lien filed in 2009 for $278,875 in unpaid federal taxes, followed by a state of Ohio tax lien in 2010 for $74,227.

The latest news about Pryor comes just eight days after Buckeyes coach Jim Tressell was forced to resign for not reporting information he'd received about players receiving improper benefits.

Pryor's career at Ohio State, which started with so much promise and potential, came to an abrupt and scandal-ridden end Tuesday evening, when he announced through his attorney that he would not play for the Buckeyes this season. He had already been suspended for the first five games for breaking NCAA rules by accepting improper benefits from the owner of a tattoo parlor.

"In the best interests of my teammates, I've made the decision to forgo my senior year of football at The Ohio State University," Pryor said in a statement issued by James.

James said entering the next NFL supplemental draft is Pryor's "desire." But James acknowledged labor uncertainty could lead to consideration of the Canadian Football League or working with a personal quarterback coach first.

ChuckD
06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Tressel was just another "fake" Christian running around and saying all the right things to get into recruits living rooms, all the while serving Satan with his lying and cheating.