PDA

View Full Version : Masters Degree - Which School?

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
If you had to chose an online program between Purdue and Walden University, which would you chose and why?

I am going back to get my masters degree. Due to many circumstances i have to do it online. Purdue and Walden both offer a program that fits what i want to do. Purdue has stricter entry requirements (namely a good score on the GRE -- YUCK).

I'm tempted to enroll at Walden, but worry it wont look as good, or be worth as much as if i were to get it from Purdue.

symple19
05-30-2011, 09:10 PM
I would choose the University of Phoenix

Frenzy
05-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Masters is sweet pretty much no matter where you get it tbh. Not everyone has a masters.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I would stay away from any for-profit university (e.g., Walden).

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
I would stay away from any for-profit university (e.g., Walden).

Which one's aren't for profit? Seriously, I'm curious.

CubanMustGo
05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Purdue by far. Walden = WTF U.

Sisk
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM

This

DMX7
05-30-2011, 09:34 PM

Serious question? Most of them....

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Serious question? Most of them....

How do you figure?

Seriously, aren't they all "for profit"? The school I graduated from charges such a ridiculous amount of f'ing money, and that was 10 years ago......I can't imagine what they are charging nowadays.

No one or no school does something to better mankind......they do it for money......period.

Frenzy
05-30-2011, 09:41 PM
How do you figure?

Seriously, aren't they all "for profit"? The school I graduated from charges such a ridiculous amount of f'ing money, and that was 10 years ago......I can't imagine what they are charging nowadays.

No one or no school does something to better mankind......they do it for money......period.

No they are care for education. See they make you take classes you don't need and most likely will never use in your major field because ....well.....you see...like...cause..

Yeah they all for profit.

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 09:44 PM
No they are care for education. See they make you take classes you don't need and most likely will never use in your major field because ....well.....you see...like...cause..

:lol That's exactly right......I want to know how Freshman Sociology helped me with a Construction Mgmt degree.....and if no one can answer me that, I want my $1,000 that class cost me, plus every other waste of time class I took.

Then again, not a day goes by when I don't wish I was still back there, so maybe it is worth it.

Sisk
05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
:lol That's exactly right......I want to know how Freshman Sociology helped me with a Construction Mgmt degree.....and if no one can answer me that, I want my $1,000 that class cost me, plus every other waste of time class I took.

Then again, not a day goes by when I don't wish I was still back there, so maybe it is worth it.

They want to raise tuition in Texas too. Because $6k for 13 hours isn't enough.

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
According to everything i can find, Walden has an OK reputation. Purdue is highly regarded and on a few "top schools" lists though.

I am just really wondering if it matters so much WHERE you got the degree from, or moreso just that you have it.

I am already employed in the field, and have been for 4 years. Getting a masters and moving into Instructional Design "should" increase my salary by around 30k a year though.

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 09:55 PM
They want to raise tuition in Texas too. Because $6k for 13 hours isn't enough.

Also, and on a total side note, I still dislike and have very little respect for college prof's. Out of the many I've met, only a handful could actually work in "the real world".

imho

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 09:55 PM
According to everything i can find, Walden has an OK reputation. Purdue is highly regarded and on a few "top schools" lists though.

My big question is, I am already employed in the field in which i am seeking a masters, and wondering if WHERE i got my masters is really going to matter when i decide to try and move up in the field. Or will it be OK that i just have it, regardless of where it is from.

From what I've seen, it doesn't matter where it's from......just as long as you have it.

Chief Brody
05-30-2011, 09:56 PM
A Masters from UTSA will get you in the door anywhere.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 09:58 PM

My big question is, I am already employed in the field in which i am seeking a masters, and wondering if WHERE i got my masters is really going to matter when i decide to try and move up in the field. Or will it be OK that i just have it, regardless of where it is from.

Is is just the same field or at the same company too?

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Is is just the same field or at the same company too?

same field, i doubt my company has many opportunities above where i am currently in this line of work.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
same field, i doubt my company has many opportunities above where i am currently in this line of work.

If that's the case, then the reputation of the school probably matters a little more. Also, you should contact the school and inquire about placement rates post-graduation.

johnsmith

Then especially, who gives a fuck? Just get it at the cheapest place you're comfortable with, and then throw it out there at every networking or interview opportunity.

Fuck, I'd hire a guy with a masters over those without and I'd NEVER ask where it's from.......I think that's par for the course too.

johnsmith
If that's the case, then the reputation of the school probably matters a little more.

:lol

We disagree.

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I currently manage an LMS (learning mgmt system) basically a system that delivers online course ware to individuals in the Air Force.

I would like to be able to design and build the course ware, rather than just manage the site it resides, which is where the masters comes in. Instructional Designers make really good money, and are becoming more and more in demand, especially with all the budget cuts to traditional teachers.

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Then especially, who gives a fuck? Just get it at the cheapest place you're comfortable with, and then throw it out there at every networking or interview opportunity.

Fuck, I'd hire a guy with a masters over those without and I'd NEVER ask where it's from.......I think that's par for the course too.

Part of me agrees with this. I have friends that are IDs and only have a bachelors degree. Of course they have been doing it for ages now though. When i go and look for ID jobs on Monster, etc...most only ask for a Bachelors, with a lot of experience then it says "masters preferred"

So i think if i had a masters It probably wouldnt matter.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 10:04 PM

What if both candidates have a masters degree and similar resume except which school they graduated from (and they are fighting for one job opening)?

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 10:05 PM
What if both candidates have a masters degree and similar resume except which school they graduated from?

Honestly, I'd base it on the interview and whoever has more refined "soft skills".

Wouldn't have anything to do with which school.

Having said that, I'm speaking from an industry specific standpoint, which sounds like it is absolutely nothing like the industry in which the OP is in.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:05 PM

The vast majority aren't for profit. State schools and most older private schools do not make profits. Places like Devry and Phoenix are for profit and as a result don't really focus on students the same way since its all about the bottom line.

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 10:06 PM
If that's the case, then the reputation of the school probably matters a little more. Also, you should contact the school and inquire about placement rates post-graduation.

True, i need to research that a little. Purdue has a pretty highly regarded program in this field...they have been offering it for over 35 years and many of their staff are leaders in the field of instructional design and technology.

I just balk at the price (22k for a 2 year program) and i would LOVE to avoid taking the GRE if i could. lol....

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
How do you figure?

Most schools do not make a profit. That doesn't mean they are cheap. That means they don't charge more than it costs in some way shape or form. In other words, UT charges what it takes to break even. U of Phoenix charges whatever it takes to pay what it costs them AND make a profit - hence for profit.

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 10:08 PM
The vast majority aren't for profit. State schools and most older private schools do not make profits. Places like Devry and Phoenix are for profit and as a result don't really focus on students the same way since its all about the bottom line.

But really though? They don't make any profit? I guess I just find that totally hard to believe.......it seems like politicians to me.....they aren't for profit either, but you know those cocksuckers are making money, lots of it (besides their salaries).

This could be strictly bitterness on my end though. So what the fuck do I know?

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Appreciate the spot to brainstorm a bit. I am going to call Walden in the morning and listen to their pitch on what they offer.

I already am most of the way through the acceptance process at Purdue, i just need to take the GRE and pay the app fee...I just started second guessing my choice again today. Opening this fucking GRE study guide tends to do that.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
SP if I were you I would take the GRE (assuming you haven't yet) and take it from there. Which is more expensive? Do you want to be able to do your job well or do you just want the piece of paper (I assume Perdue is highly regarded for a reason) Talk to professionals in your fiend and find their opinion on whether or not it matters.

Right off the bat I would lean to Perdue but really it should be the professionals within your field who have the opinions that matter.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
But really though? They don't make any profit? I guess I just find that totally hard to believe.......it seems like politicians to me.....they aren't for profit either, but you know those cocksuckers are making money, lots of it (besides their salaries).

This could be strictly bitterness on my end though. So what the fuck do I know?

They definitely do not make profits. Public schools function off of tax dollars, tuition and fees. Private non profit schools function off of endowments, other alumni donations, tuition and fees. But the books are very much public information due to their status as non profits.

Thats not to say there aren't people making money. Obviously administrators and professors don't work for free. But overall the school as an organization does not make a profit.

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Talk to professionals in your fiend and find their opinion on whether or not it matters.

WTF Manny? Are you saying that talking to these people you've mentioned is a better outlet for information than spurstalk.com?

What the hell is wrong with you?

:p:

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 10:14 PM
They definitely do not make profits. Public schools function off of tax dollars, tuition and fees. Private non profit schools function off of endowments, other alumni donations, tuition and fees. But the books are very much public information due to their status as non profits.

Thats not to say there aren't people making money. Obviously administrators and professors don't work for free. But overall the school as an organization does not make a profit.

Sadly.....I didn't really know that.

You know who does make money though? The cocksuckers that I just finally paid off my student loans too.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Appreciate the spot to brainstorm a bit. I am going to call Walden in the morning and listen to their pitch on what they offer.

I already am most of the way through the acceptance process at Purdue, i just need to take the GRE and pay the app fee...I just started second guessing my choice again today. Opening this fucking GRE study guide tends to do that.

Don't expect to walk into a GRE exam and get a good score without work put in. I know you recently graduated but if I remember correctly this was after a fairly lengthy layoff from school so make sure you study your ass off.

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 10:15 PM
SP if I were you I would take the GRE (assuming you haven't yet) and take it from there. Which is more expensive? Do you want to be able to do your job well or do you just want the piece of paper (I assume Perdue is highly regarded for a reason) Talk to professionals in your fiend and find their opinion on whether or not it matters.

Right off the bat I would lean to Perdue but really it should be the professionals within your field who have the opinions that matter.

I agree Manny. When i first decided this, the only program i found was Walden. I mentioned it to three different IDs i know and they all said, "hell ya, that should be great for your career." That was before i found and talked with the admission office at Purdue. More i read and more i found out about it, the more I liked. I also liked the idea of being associated with a proper university. The people i talked to seem to think a degree is a degree is a degree, which i mentioned Purdue, they didnt really have an opinion on it either way, only saying "cool man go for it" My only issue with that is most of them only have a bachelors and were given preference for their jobs because they are prior military. Basically they didn't have to compete like you or I do for their job, so they aren't seeing it through the same eyes.

Going to go upstairs and unwind, thanks for all the advice though, check back tomorrow.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Sadly.....I didn't really know that.

You know who does make money though? The cocksuckers that I just finally paid off my student loans too.

Yeah, that shit was such a huge scam I'm extremely glad the government has put a stop to it. Companies like Sally Mae were making money on loans with zero risk while the tax payers backed them and got nothing out of it. Made no fucking sense.

Soul_Patch
05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Don't expect to walk into a GRE exam and get a good score without work put in. I know you recently graduated but if I remember correctly this was after a fairly lengthy layoff from school so make sure you study your ass off.

oh i know...believe me. the study guide itself is already scaring me. Im so out of touch with the math it is silly...that is part of the reason i am thinking maybe im in over my head going to Purdue.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:19 PM
You're not over your head but I assume your degree didn't require shit over college algebra. Math goes the fastest, IMO, but Jess says that there really wasn't anything worse than that on the exam. You should also check with UTSA as they may have resources available to you as an alum to help you prepare for the exam.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Jekka says the SA public library has a bunch of practice GREs you can do online for free as long as you've got a card.

Sisk
05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Also, and on a total side note, I still dislike and have very little respect for college prof's. Out of the many I've met, only a handful could actually work in "the real world".

imho

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."

Professors even suck at teaching, tbh.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Jekka says the SA public library has a bunch of practice GREs you can do online for free as long as you've got a card.

Manny, did you take the GRE? How did you do?

tlongII
05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Many corporations don't reimburse tuition expense at "for profit" universities, while they do at other schools. A University of Phoenix degree is not as highly thought of as one from Purdue for example. It might not make a difference now, but it could in the future if you were to look for a job elsewhere.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Manny, did you take the GRE? How did you do?

I have to graduate before I can take it. :lol

I'll let you know in a few semesters though.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Many corporations don't reimburse tuition expense at "for profit" universities, while they do at other schools. A University of Phoenix degree is not as highly thought of as one from Purdue for example.

Yeah, Intel doesn't even recognize it, so I can't imagine they are super eager to hire people from there.

ashbeeigh
05-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry I didn't pop into this one earlier.... you all may hate me and consider me a dumb blonde at times but consider this...I am in Top 10 Masters of Social Work program right now.

The program is also online. I would ask a lot of questions about the layout of the programs. Is Purdue new? I haven't heard of them having a program...just a quick google search it says its a new program. I am in the first group of people taking online classes at USC (holy cow let's talk student loans) and there are many kinks as far as schedules, course work, professors, etc. How is the technology? Is it sound or have other programs had any stumbling points? Is this an online program only? If not, does it mirror the program that is offered "on the ground" - i.e.- are you really getting a Purdue education? I had one professor that was old school Trojan..she was such a bad ass. I loved it. Ask them who runs the platform (as you know about the platforms and all that stuff..right?) see what their reputation is...our's is run through 2tor and aside from running across one of the employees on twitter I can't highly recommend their platform.

With Walden, while it is generally a for-profit school, I don't know what type of technology kinks they would have because it is primarily discussion and popwerpoint based, right? And since they have been around more and have a ton of people to support it there are always people there to help out with it. Sure it's a for-profit school but the lack of kinks could be worth it.

But, think of the connections you get with the alumni associated with Purdue. They are scattered all over the place. That was the main reason I chose USC, name recognition and its program. Oh, and I didn't have to take the GRE.

Good luck!

johnsmith
05-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry I didn't pop into this one earlier.... you all may hate me and consider me a dumb blonde!

I stopped reading here.

Chief Brody
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I stopped reading here.

DMX7
05-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry I didn't pop into this one earlier....

I stopped reading here.

Jekka
05-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Also, you should contact the school and inquire about placement rates post-graduation.

This. I had a friend in grad school who ended up making her decision (both schools had great programs in the field) based on the fact that Michigan had an average job search of less than 3 months and Maryland was averaging about a year.

Jekka
05-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Re: the GRE - I am not really mathematically inclined, but I did just fine on the test after having my sister (math major) tutor me in trig/geometry/algebra for a weekend. The GRE isn't made to measure your mathematical knowledge so much as your logic and knowledge potential. If you have math down to college algebra you should be okay - the reason you really need to do practice tests is to get the hang of the word problems. My math major sister was even tripped up by some of the wording on the problems - just practice until you get the hang of it.

Also: try not to take the test during flu season. I did, and the amount of gross, phlegmy coughing was absolutely disgusting and totally distracting (those "noise canceling headphones" don't cancel out shit).

My recommendations ended up making a much more of a difference with my applications than my GRE scores. If you are really concerned about your GRE scores, though, it may be worth it to take a class.

tlongII
05-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Soul_Patch already has a job so placement rates are basically irrelevant.

Drachen
05-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Also, if the GRE is anything like the GMAT (and I am told they are very similar), the test itself will have pretty much nothing to do with the coursework that you put in for your bachelors. Most of the stuff on the test reflected coursework I did in 7th 8th and 9th grade.

Also, I don't know which study guide you are using, but for my GMAT, I got the one published by the princeton review. It worked out pretty well for me (except the video which looked like an episode of saved by the bell - lots of unintentional comedy). The basic thing I like about the book was the way it was written. The authors basically call the GMAT/GRE test makers arrogant douchebags and then write the book from that angle. They even say something to the effect of "will this test score you on how well you will do in grad school? No. Will it test you on how well you know your language and math? No. The GMAT will test you on how good you are at taking the GMAT." LOL

It made the book easier to get through.

Also, while practice tests are important, do not, DO NOT take more than 1 in the 3 or so days before taking the actual test.

I took mine on a Wednesday, and I took off of work Monday and Tuesday. I took a full practice test on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. This left me completely burned out by the end of my actual test Wednesday and I just started cruising right through it without paying close attention. I still got a very good score, but it could have been so much better.

ferg
05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
I currently manage an LMS (learning mgmt system) basically a system that delivers online course ware to individuals in the Air Force.

I would like to be able to design and build the course ware, rather than just manage the site it resides, which is where the masters comes in. Instructional Designers make really good money, and are becoming more and more in demand, especially with all the budget cuts to traditional teachers.

would that be ADLS? i hate that system with a passion....:bang good thing its not longer in my life!:downspin:

Soul_Patch
05-31-2011, 11:40 AM
would that be ADLS? i hate that system with a passion....:bang good thing its not longer in my life!:downspin:

Haha yep, although i work on MedLearn, the medical derivative of that. You are probably very familiar with it.

I have to say, AETC has done good with getting ADLS moving in the right direction, it is vastly better than it was 4 years ago.

You and i probably know each other.

I have chosen Walden University. It is about 30% cheaper, no application fee, no GRE and costs associated with that, and everyone i spoke to that is in the field said it most likely wouldnt matter as long as you could do the work.