PDA

View Full Version : Doing business in argentina

velik_m
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
A Constant Feeling of Crisis

Think the U.S. economy feels shaky? Try doing business in Argentina, where corruption is the norm, regulations are absurd, inflation is rampant, and financial crises are a dime a dozen (11 cents next month).

But although Argentina talks and walks like a European country, its style of doing business is distinctly Third World. The country ranks 115th on the World Bank's Doing Business index and 138th on the Heritage Foundation's Index of Economic Freedom, thanks to a tangle of taxes, tax credits, subsidies, prohibitions, exemptions, and delays. These rules change constantly, aren't enforced uniformly, and are forever subject to bending or breaking if a bribe is paid. And almost everybody pays: Transparency International ranks Argentina 105th in terms of corruption, worse than famously corrupt countries such as Mexico, Egypt, and Liberia.

More... (http://www.inc.com/magazine/201106/doing-business-in-argentina.html)

Wild Cobra
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Transparency International ranks Argentina 105th in terms of corruption, worse than famously corrupt countries such as Mexico, Egypt, and Liberia.
And we're worried about Libya.

Is president Obambam going to attack Argentina next?

coyotes_geek
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM

:rolleyes

ElNono
05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for posting. I had a couple of friends working for that company (OfficeNet) before I left back in 1999. From what I hear, things got substantially better in the economy since that 2001 crash, and since there's basically no credit available in the country, the 2008 crisis didn't even register. But it's indeed a palace of corruption and shady connections.
I still remember having to do a presentation of a pretty innovative (at the time) interactive kiosk we developed to a government agency. The 'arrangement' with the government official was that we would need to overcharge by a considerable amount and then split the difference. They didn't give a shit about the tech or what it did. A week later the dude was being investigated on corruption charges and so they called the whole thing off. That's just the way you do 'business' over there.

ElNono
05-31-2011, 03:53 PM

Argentina is a democracy. Savagely corrupt? Sure, but people still vote over there.

And Liberia is not Lybia...

Wild Cobra
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Argentina is a democracy. Savagely corrupt? Sure, but people still vote over there.

And Liberia is not Lybia...
There are so many democracies on paper that really aren't. From the data I have seen, Libya was a better nation for people than Argentina.

I know Libya is not Liberia. In fact, Libya was even better. Not worse.

ElNono
05-31-2011, 04:14 PM
There are so many democracies on paper that really aren't. From the data I have seen, Libya was a better nation for people than Argentina.

Define 'better'?

Argentina is definitely a democracy. There are elections, different parties, opposition, Congress, etc etc etc.

Lybia is definitely not a democracy.

I know Libya is not Liberia. In fact, Libya was even better. Not worse.

That's hardly surprising seeing that Liberia is a tiny country in western Africa.
I was merely pointing to Liberia since the quote you used to start your Lybian defense didn't include Lybia in it.

MannyIsGod
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Whats the problem? Isn't the free market in Argentina just setting the price for elected officials services? Can't another company just come in and pay more for the corruption if they wish? Surely we don't need regulation there.

TeyshaBlue
05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Whats the problem? Isn't the free market in Argentina just setting the price for elected officials services? Can't another company just come in and pay more for the corruption if they wish? Surely we don't need regulation there.

Now you're just begging for speculators to start bidding up corruption. Dammit!

velik_m
05-31-2011, 11:39 PM

Regulations don't help, if everybody is ignoring them.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
yeah, tell me something I don't know. The problem with Argentina stems from its defective "raw material". I've been to a lot of places in my life, but I'd have to say that Argentina takes the cake for having the most ignorant, entitled, lazy electorate of any place I've been to. No sense of the importance of planning for the future, its all give ME, and give ME NOW! Hence why people here are so easily duped by populist pieces of crap who promise to keep subsidizing the shit out of everything.

Having said that, I don't think the problem stems from ignorance here, not really. We used to have a pretty educated society once upon a time, and even then corruption was still the name of the game. Civic responsibility is a fucking joke down here.

I must say, I'm pretty fucking disgusted at the state of things in Argentina. They've turned my once beautiful country into a fucking cesspool, breading ground for ignorant and increasingly more violent criminals.

I don't see things changing any time soon either. It'll take us hitting rock bottom for people to realize that things can't keep going the way they are. That's hot ignorant we are as a nation.

/rant

PS. I really don't give a fuck if I hurt some Argies' feelings of national pride with that rant, so don't bother getting all butthurt about it. You'll only be wasting your time.

ElNono
06-01-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't disagree. That said, it's easy to figure out why planning for the future never takes place. The rules of the game are ever changing (and corruption has a lot to do with that), and frankly people are already waiting for the next crisis and money siphoning/printing.

The biggest problem with Argentina is that it always goes in a vicious cycle, of which everyone is aware of (and even got used to it), but are completely unwilling to get out of (and I don't mean the average citizen, I'm talking about the never changing political class).

MannyIsGod
06-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Regulations don't help, if everybody is ignoring them.

Well, I said regulation, which by definition would be the enforcement of regulations.

Kyle Orton
06-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Doing business in Argentina is pretty easy as long as you help gas 6 million Jews to death

boutons_deux
06-01-2011, 07:32 AM

UCA is no better, just much more sophisticated in its savage corruption. And voting makes no difference, as Barry demonstrates.

RandomGuy
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
And we're worried about Libya.

:rolleyes

Thanks Wild Bizarro Boutons

"Me am worried about Libya Obama"