PDA

View Full Version : Education: Think Before You Decide on Nov. 2

JohnnyMarzetti
09-22-2004, 01:08 PM
School Achievement Gap Grows
Under President Bush, the US has continued to fall behind other industrial nations in academic performance. Our high school graduation rate is lower than in countries like France, Germany and Japan.

Broken Promise for "No Child Left Behind" Act
Bush said that the No Child Left Behind Act was designed to close this achievement gap, yet in 2004 his budget provided $9 billion less for the Act than Congress authorized. In fact, President Bush has never met the level of funding authorized to implement his key education Act.

After School Programs: Underfunded
Up to 15 million children go home after school to empty homes, yet President Bush's 2005 budget includes only half the funding he promised for after-school programs in the No Child Left Behind Act.

No Help Fro Soaring College Costs
College tuition and fees have risen 35% since President Bush took office, yet the Bush administration has refused to provide funding that would allow more students to attend college. For 3 straight years, Bush has broken his campaign promise to increase the federal student Pell Grant maximum to $5,100 a year.

New Limits on Early Education
The country's biggest early education program, Head Start, has proven to help poor childred succeed. Yet President Bush plans to freeze Head Start enrollment, preventing 40% of children eligible for Head Start from benefiting from the program.

Tommy Duncan
09-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Did you ever stop to think that the poor performance of public K-12 schools in this country has more to do with the fact that the government is the one in control than anything else?

JohnnyMarzetti
09-22-2004, 03:12 PM
And who is the head of our Government?

Alrighty then!!

Spurminator
09-22-2004, 03:16 PM
:shootme

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Do you expect performance to improve when asshole lawyers like Edwards run around filing lawsuits against schools if they don't pass mommy's dearest even though he/she can't spell his/her own name in high school?

Some of the blame falls to PC liberal crackpots who scream that assessment tests that ask you to do things like identify runons and find spelling errors, not to mention add 2 plus 2, are somehow inherently racist.

Tommy Duncan
09-22-2004, 03:30 PM
:lol

Oh man. Yeah, you got me there.

Joe Chalupa
09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
So now the blame is on lawyers and PC liberals?

Brahahahahahaha!!! :lol

I don't blame Bush for everything but come on people. Is it really so hard for anyone on the right to admit that "some" of Bush's education policies have not been up to par with his campaign promises?

Is he really that perfect in your conservative eyes?

Tommy Duncan
09-22-2004, 03:54 PM
So what if Bush had proposed eliminating the US Department of Education and most federal regulations of public K-12 schools?

Bush's policies were clearly political in nature. If he had pushed for the real reform that is needed (ie reduce the govt's role) then the Left would have screamed bloody murder and trotted out a bunch of poor kids who they claimed would be hurt or whatever (nevermind the shitty education they are receiving in the current system).

Joe Chalupa
09-22-2004, 04:17 PM
For me, I put much of the blame with parents in regards to the public education system.
Many just expect to send their kids to school and then do nothing else. My kids go to public schools and I don't have a problem with it.
My oldest is an A-B student but we spend time with her EVERY night going over her homework and planner.
I encourage her and attent the PTA meetings and the teacher conferences. We go to the library and talk about her thoughts for her future even thought she is only 10 years old.
I let her know how important her education is and let her know that we support her 100%.

I know the public school system may not be the best but there have also been many success stories as well.

SpursWoman
09-22-2004, 04:17 PM
A friend of mine forwarded me a revision proposal for the "No Child Left Behind" act initiated by Sen. Kennedy addressing the system's weaknesses and how to correct some of them.

It sounded pretty solid, and no reason it wouldn't be accepted.

Tommy Duncan
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
There have been successes in spite of the system.

Joe Chalupa
09-22-2004, 04:20 PM
But successes they are.