View Full Version : Not so fast Scottie...

cobbler
06-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Some interesting thoughts from Cap:

Gotta agree with him.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar released a letter Tuesday saying he disagrees that James may be the greatest player of all time and Jordan is the greatest scorer of all time, while Isiah Thomas said the potential is there for James to match Jordan, but he's not sure that the Heat's superstar will pass Jordan.

"I have nothing but respect for you my friend as an athlete and knowledgeable basketball mind. But you are way off in your assessment of who is the greatest player of all time and the greatest scorer of all time," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on kareemabduljabbar.com. "Your comments are off because of your limited perspective."

He challenged the notion of Jordan as the greatest scorer by saying that crown belongs to Wilt Chamberlain, citing Chamberlain's 1961-62 season when he averaged 50.4 points and 25.7 rebounds. Abdul-Jabbar, who is the league's all-time points leader, also wrote about Chamberlain's 100-point game and the smaller league size, which he said meant there was better talent in the league then compared to when Jordan played from the 1980s-2000s.

"So MJ has to be appraised in perspective," Abdul-Jabbar wrote. "His incredible athletic ability, charisma and leadership on the court helped to make basketball popular around the world -- no question about that. But in terms of greatness MJ has to take a backseat to The Stilt."

The former Lakers and Bucks center didn't stop there, though, as he also compared Jordan to Bill Russell and his eight straight titles, as well as Russell's profound career rebounding average. He only mentioned James once in the letter.

"Bill played on a total of 11 Championship teams and as you very well know, Scottie, the ring is the thing, and everything else is just statistics. So I would advise you to do a little homework before crowning Michael or LeBron with the title of best ever," Abdul-Jabbar wrote. "As dominant as he is, LeBron has yet to win a championship. I must say that it looks like Miami has finally put the team together that will change that circumstance. Its my hope that today's players get a better perspective on exactly what has been done in this league in the days of yore."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6613625

Kyle Orton
06-01-2011, 01:41 AM
lol Wilt
lol dominating a bunch of 6'5" honkies

cobbler
06-01-2011, 01:42 AM
lol Wilt

You are too young to have any clue. Had you seen, you would know. :toast

Veterinarian
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Lol MavDynasty banned

Kori Ellis
Current Activity: Regulating

Kyle Orton
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
You are too young to have any clue. Had you seen, you would know. :toast
I have a clue. Wilt dominated a bunch of 6'5" honkies and is vastly overrated for it. Same with Russell.

Kyle Orton
06-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Lol MavDynasty banned

Kori Ellis
Current Activity: Regulating
lol lets see how this turns out

cobbler
06-01-2011, 01:45 AM
I watched him dominate Kareem on many a night...

hmmmmm

hobbler
06-01-2011, 01:48 AM
You don't think NBA players sit around discussing stats and PER, they discuss rings. I know exactly how their private talks go and the fact that Kobe for example was but a mere sidekick discounts nothing. He has 5 rings therefore he is way, way better than Lebron and Wade. Same reason Horry is considered better than Rodman and Worthy tbh.

cobbler
06-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Wow, sitting around in wait. I'm honored.

Mere sidekick in the haters minds. Not so much in those based in reality.

This wasn't about Kobe anyway, your bringing him into the conversation only shows your obsession. It's cute!

This was about Wilt and Kareems letter to Scottie pretty much stating what I have told your ignorant ass all along.

But again, I am honored after not posting for some time that you so quickly acknowledged me! :toast

ChrisRichards
06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
KAJ comparing Jordan's rebounding numbers against Bill Russell?

really now?::rolleyes

Lol Lew Alcindor
Lol butthurt because he doesn't have a statue
Lol Oklahoma Storm coaching career
Lol goggles
Lol 7'2 weighing in at 225 lbs
Lol Airplane

Josepatches_
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM
lol Wilt

cheguevara
06-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Shaq would have dominated just as easily or more in that timeframe vs. frail white scrubs.

that being said, Wilt was a true legend and banging 20,000 women in his private underground sex room and surviving all the STDs prove it. Wilt was more than a mere human.

Josepatches_
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Wilt was great but I have no doubt that Shaq could do the same if he had played in the 50s or the 60s.
And sure Russell was good too but no way he could be as dominant in the 90s.

Basketball changes like all the sports.
Players from all the world come to the NBA today.Players are stronger,faster.....The knowledge of the game is higher......the Basketball Shooting Techniques and Fundamentals are a lot better.....Rules has changed so big men can't be in the paint all the day.........

We could be reaching the human limit now but they were far away in the 50s.
Usain Bolt is able to run 100m 0,75 seconds faster than the world's fastest man in 1960.
In 1990 the men's high jump indoor was 2,43 m.It was 2,17m in 1960.

Imo Wilt Chamberlain couldn't score 100 points today.

ElNono
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
You don't think NBA players sit around discussing stats and PER, they discuss rings. I know exactly how their private talks go and the fact that Kobe for example was but a mere sidekick discounts nothing.

lol pretending to know what NBA players talk about
lol hobbler

dunkman
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Wilt was extremely stong, some reports exist that he would block a dunk of other center and almost send him out of bounds. He was quick and athletic, I read that he and Russell were able to touch the top of the board. He was able to block Kareem's sky hook sometimes. He would jump from the FT line and dunk the ball, and the NBA had to change the rules. When MJ did that in a dunk contest it was a sensation, apparently Wilt did that regularly.

Wilt could shot in different ways. I saw some hooks from distance of the board, long 2's fadeaway jumpers, he had post moves too, it seems that he was much more skilled than Shaq.

David Robinson scored 71 once, when his team mates passed him the ball to get the scoring title competing vs. Shaq. I wouldn't rule out 100 for him with 60-65 field goal attempts. With modern training, God knows what would Wilt be able to do.

TheNextGen
06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
im sure the scoring champion knows a thing or two about scoring.

NewcastleKEG
06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
You don't think NBA players sit around discussing stats and PER, they discuss rings. I know exactly how their private talks go and the fact that Kobe for example was but a mere sidekick discounts nothing. He has 5 rings therefore he is way, way better than Lebron and Wade. Same reason Horry is considered better than Rodman and Worthy tbh.
Link?

Bill_Brasky
06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Nothing to see here, just hobbler with yet another shitty take...

lefty
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
WUt?

Booharv
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
:lmao The amount of people taking hobbler seriously in this thread is fantastic. The best of which is cobbler's point by point rebuttal of his post. :lmao :lmao :lmao

MidnightPulp with the goods, per the usual

Bill_Brasky
06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
:lmao The amount of people taking hobbler seriously in this thread is fantastic. The best of which is cobbler's point by point rebuttal of his post. :lmao :lmao :lmao

MidnightPulp with the goods, per the usual

When I said hobbler, I meant OP, I get that hobbler the poster is a troll lol

Booharv
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
When I said hobbler, I meant OP, I get that hobbler the poster is a troll lol

I know. I meant cobbler, and also NewCastle and Lefty who disputed the factual accuracy of hobbler's post. :lmao

ambchang
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
While I am pretty sure Wilt, if his prime was today, is not able to score 100 points a game, average 50.4 points or 27 rebounds over a season, I am sure he would still be dominate the game better than anybody else.

Take this into perspective, a older, past-his-prime Wilt at least stood his ground against a young Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. KAJ did the same to Hakeem (well, Hakeem was better most of the time, but KAJ was 35 years old then), Hakeem destroyed Shaq, and Shaq played Duncan even. Then big man went extinct.

Sure, Wilt didn't have to exert as much energy in those days because he only had to deal with the likes of KAJ, Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell and such a handful of games a season, but he has demonstrated that he could play against players that have proven to do well in the modern NBA (KAJ). But if Wilt was to play today, he would be given the same nutrition, training, etc ... as today's players, and he would thus be stronger and faster.

Note: I do not believe Wilt can put up the stats he did back then in today's game is because:
1) Teams have much more complex offensive and defensive plays nowadays
2) The games are much lower in scoring (related to point 1)
3) Wilt has to play against top-notch competition every night, rather than a fraction of the time. Yes, I know there are teams right now that has pretty much no center, but collectively, a no-center team like the Heat has proven that they can stop opposing big men.

DMC
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
While I am pretty sure Wilt, if his prime was today, is not able to score 100 points a game, average 50.4 points or 27 rebounds over a season, I am sure he would still be dominate the game better than anybody else.

Take this into perspective, a older, past-his-prime Wilt at least stood his ground against a young Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. KAJ did the same to Hakeem (well, Hakeem was better most of the time, but KAJ was 35 years old then), Hakeem destroyed Shaq, and Shaq played Duncan even. Then big man went extinct.

Sure, Wilt didn't have to exert as much energy in those days because he only had to deal with the likes of KAJ, Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell and such a handful of games a season, but he has demonstrated that he could play against players that have proven to do well in the modern NBA (KAJ). But if Wilt was to play today, he would be given the same nutrition, training, etc ... as today's players, and he would thus be stronger and faster.

Note: I do not believe Wilt can put up the stats he did back then in today's game is because:
1) Teams have much more complex offensive and defensive plays nowadays
2) The games are much lower in scoring (related to point 1)
3) Wilt has to play against top-notch competition every night, rather than a fraction of the time. Yes, I know there are teams right now that has pretty much no center, but collectively, a no-center team like the Heat has proven that they can stop opposing big men.

4) He's dead