PDA

View Full Version : Syria goes off the deep end

RandomGuy
06-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Hard to read what happened to the boy before he died, and just as hard to verify it. The Reuters article below has the details, but it seems that some video has emerged of a medical examination conducted on the body of a 13 year old boy showing some extreme torture by Syrian police/intelligence.

If true, it marks something of a line that has been crossed, and it seems that it will not make the situation any better. The boy will be a very potent symbol, and I don't see Assad hanging on against pictures of that nature.

Dead Syrian boy emerges as symbol for protesters (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110601/ts_nm/us_syria)

One has to wonder if Syria will go the way of Libya.

(edit)
I am reasonably sure that the account is true, and that the regime is lying through its teeth about what happened. Just wanted that to be clear. Given the uncertainty of anything going on there, though it is hard to be 100% sure of anything.

Winehole23
06-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Live fire killings at mass protests with mass detentions/kidnappings beforehand have been the Syrian policy for (like) a month or two. I guess you have to push atrocities against women and children forward to get much of a reaction from the rest of the world: by comparison the man petitioning in the street for his own political rights is little better than garbage.

RandomGuy
06-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Live fire killings at mass protests with mass detentions/kidnappings beforehand have been the Syrian policy for (like) a month or two. I guess you have to push the women and children forward to get much of a reaction from the rest of the world.

The article noted as much, and called that a "red line" that seems to have been crossed.

Syria has always been bad, but was getting slightly better before the Arab Spring.

I don't see anyone that will really miss the Syrian regime when it is gone, and it looks like the ICC will be busy in the coming years.

One outgrowth of this is that the people who fled the violence in Iraq now have little choice but to go back, or hunker down and hope it doesn't get worse.

boutons_deux
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Assad is the son of Assad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_massacre

I'm so sick of these fucking Muslim countries. If Muslims aren't killing Christians or Jews or Hindus, they're killing themselves, often all four at same time.

Winehole23
06-01-2011, 09:25 AM
GOT dam Muslims done fucked up everything. Maybe we should get in another neo-c%#$ war so we can shoot more of them.

You in, boutons?

Nbadan
06-02-2011, 02:05 AM
bottom line: most of these middle east shitholes are both cursed and blessed with being the world's gas stations...