PDA

View Full Version : So Shaqs Jersey is going up in Staples

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
i dont like it...

Although i remember the 3 championships he gave us, Ill also remember Shaq...for dissing Dr. Buss...for clowning the Lakers fans....for talking trash about the Lakers and Kobe....for joining our most hated rival, the Celtics, to specifically match up against the Lakers. I'm not as forgiving as you guys. Imo, to be up in the rafters, you need to be a true, respectful "Lakers" player....and Shaq isn't one.

Lakers Front Office are pussies.

Killakobe81
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
nah, he deserves it. We have to stay classy holding a grudge against Shaq just adds fuel to Kareem's fire ....tbh.

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
nah, he deserves it. We have to stay classy holding a grudge against Shaq just adds fuel to Kareem's fire ....tbh.

fuck class, do we look like the Spurs?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
3/10 trolljob...not nearly as good as the Josh Smith one

DMC
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
So does Kareem's jersey get yanked because he bitched about a statue?

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
3/10 trolljob...not nearly as good as the Josh Smith one

FAIL...the Josh Smith one was a troll job that you clearly fell for.

This is legit and is all over the news....so you FAIL even more for thinking it is a troll job.

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM

nope cuz thats about a statue not retired jerseys.

DMC
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
nope cuz thats about a statue not retired jerseys.
Eh?

Shaq hasn't bitched about retired jerseys. If Kareem raped a puppy and posted the video on Youtube, would his have his jersey removed?

A: Not if the puppy didn't mind him wearing it

frodo
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM
shaq just be funny intentionally no malign imho, whereas kobe is more of a douchebag than anyone and im pretty sure staples will have his jersey hung beneath the ceiling as well after he retires.

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Eh?

Shaq hasn't bitched about retired jerseys. If Kareem raped a puppy and posted the video on Youtube, would his have his jersey removed?

A: Not if the puppy didn't mind him wearing it

lets put it this way...did Kareem diss the lakers before his jersey got retired?

pass1st
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm not a big Shaq fan, but he did give us his prime years and was the main reason for a 3peat. He's a pretty big icon for the NBA, the guy deserves some respect.

It's not like he's getting a statue like Kobe probably would and Kobe threw around his share of shit too. A retired number is the least LAL can do for Shaq, I guess.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
FAIL...the Josh Smith one was a troll job that you clearly fell for.

This is legit and is all over the news....so you FAIL even more for thinking it is a troll job.

1. The Josh Smith one was good, and yes I fell for it.

2. I know Shaq's jersey is going up, it's one of the top stories on ESPN. The troll job here is you thinking that Shaq doesn't deserve his jersey retired.

He's one of the most dominant players ever seen and his prime was with the Lakers. He saved us from Ced Ceballos purgatory and eventually gave the Lakers 3 titles.

If you're a real Laker fan then you can appreciate this and see through the personal bullshit. You don't strike me as a Kobe fanboi so I assume you're trolling

DMC
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
lets put it this way...did Kareem diss the lakers before his jersey got retired?

Before or after, a retired jersey is a retired jersey.

Shaq is a huge part of the Lakers history. You cannot deny that. His jersey in the rafters is only fitting and to not do that would be a huge disgrace for a future lock HOFer and top 5 ever to play the big.

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
You are right, Shaq deserves recognition for getting us championships...thats why he got rings and finals mvps so we can remember him.

...what he doesnt deverve, is to be honored as a Lakers player after burning bridges the way he did. Going up in the rafters is a privilage, its unfortunate he didnt think of that when he was opening his mouth.

ElNono
06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
By that rationale, Kome talked shit about management and asked to be traded too at some point. Do you not retire his jersey also?

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
when did he talk shit about the management? when did he leave to the celtics?

spurs777
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Shaq is the best player in Lakers history, if you don't put his jersey up, no ones jersey should go up.

ElNono
06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
when did he talk shit about the management? when did he leave to the celtics?

We had a summer long of whining about management and talking about getting traded...

First, Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York: "I would like to be traded, yeah. Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

"[The Lakers] obviously want to move in a different direction in terms of rebuilding," Bryant said, adding he could have opted to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers or Chicago Bulls instead. "Three years ago when I was re-signing they should have told me they wanted to rebuild."

Speaking at 8:27 p.m. ET, according to the Times, he said: "Nothing's changed. It's just a matter of I don't want to go no place else. I don't have much of a choice. When things like this go down, you just sit back. What can I do? It's like a broken record."

The Times asked Bryant if he still wanted to be traded.

"Yes," he said.

"They said nothing to me about a long-term plan. Absolutely nothing," Bryant said. "They told [Lakers coach] Phil [Jackson] one thing and they told me another. Actions speak louder than words."

Lakerfan has short memory...

NewcastleKEG
06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
If Shaq never signs in Hollywood who knows if Kobe is still even a Laker.

You guys are probably still jerking to Magic and Byron

lefty
06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
i dont like it...

Although i remember the 3 championships he gave us, Ill also remember Shaq...for dissing Dr. Buss...for clowning the Lakers fans....for talking trash about the Lakers and Kobe....for joining our most hated rival, the Celtics, to specifically match up against the Lakers. I'm not as forgiving as you guys. Imo, to be up in the rafters, you need to be a true, respectful "Lakers" player....and Shaq isn't one.

Magic was no angel either

Got Westhead fired because he wanted "to have fun"

And he probably got Nixon traded so he could play PG full time

Ashy Larry
06-01-2011, 10:04 PM
It deserves to be up there ......

NewcastleKEG
06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
i dont like it...

Lakers turned their back on Shaq who was still an elite big man. He was justified in his dissing....he won a title 1st right?

Don't be so concerned about the past, worry about the domino effective of Shaq signing in Hollywood. Without Shaq there is no Phil in LA, without Shaq & Phil there is no Kobe winning titles and anyway Phil would be riding some other HOF's to titles instead

Kai
06-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Shaq won Finals MVP x3 for the Lakers. No way he isn't getting his jersey up there.

Giuseppe
06-01-2011, 10:27 PM
he won a title 1st right?

True. But, then Kobe made him eat ass:::

Kobe: 2

Daddy: 1/for eternity

NewcastleKEG
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
True. But, then Kobe made him eat ass:::

Daddy: 1/for eternity
Looking back Shaq should have just stayed teamed up with Wade. Taken a paycut and brought a 3rd star in. The quality of big men in this league is pretty damn low

For the record Shaq threw up 18 & 8 just two seasons ago in PHX playing 73 games

Giuseppe
06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I got nothin' against Daddy.

Kobe vanquished him. That's all I wanted for Kobe. Made me no diff.

NewcastleKEG
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I got nothin' against Daddy.

Kobe vanquished him. That's all I wanted for Kobe. Made me no diff.
LOL @ robin vanquishing batman

Giuseppe
06-01-2011, 10:51 PM
LOL @ robin vanquishing batman

I don't qualify 'em. I just tote up the cyphers:::

Daddy: 1|for eternity

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Daddy has 3
Kobe has 2
tee, hee forever more

Giuseppe
06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Daddy has 3
Kobe has 2
tee, hee forever more

No.

Kobe: 5

Daddy: 4|for eternity

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Wrong again my thick headed chap.

Kobe : 5
MJ: 6
Bets unpaid : 1 -- ChrisRichards, teehee.

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
We had a summer long of whining about management and talking about getting traded...

First, Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York: "I would like to be traded, yeah. Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

"[The Lakers] obviously want to move in a different direction in terms of rebuilding," Bryant said, adding he could have opted to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers or Chicago Bulls instead. "Three years ago when I was re-signing they should have told me they wanted to rebuild."

Speaking at 8:27 p.m. ET, according to the Times, he said: "Nothing's changed. It's just a matter of I don't want to go no place else. I don't have much of a choice. When things like this go down, you just sit back. What can I do? It's like a broken record."

The Times asked Bryant if he still wanted to be traded.

"Yes," he said.

"They said nothing to me about a long-term plan. Absolutely nothing," Bryant said. "They told [Lakers coach] Phil [Jackson] one thing and they told me another. Actions speak louder than words."

Lakerfan has short memory...

And where in there does he talk shit?

Venti Quattro
06-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Maybe nono thought that andrew bynum was the franchise, so talking shit about him meant talking shit about the Lakers...

ElNono
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM

crofl, really?

That's not talking shit? lol

:downspin: that shit, Machine...

Maybe nono thought that andrew bynum was the franchise, so talking shit about him meant talking shit about the Lakers...

Meh, no. Notice how I conveniently didn't mention talking shit about teammates. As somebody else already pointed out, Magic got his coach fired, and that didn't (and shouldn't) matter as far as having your jersey retired.

Venti Quattro
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Kobe didn't get anyone fired. If anything, he lit a fire under the whole team. The bench was stellar that year (lol sasha's contract year), and Mitch worked his ass to land Pau Gasol.

ElNono
06-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Kobe didn't get anyone fired. If anything, he lit a fire under the whole team. The bench was stellar that year (lol sasha's contract year), and Mitch worked his ass to land Pau Gasol.

It was all about talking shit to get Mitch to do shit. I still remember the media throwing Mitch under the bus until he pulled the great Gasol. After that, Wilbon and co couldn't stop fellating him.

crc21209
06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
i dont like it...

If you don't think Shaq's jersey should be up there then go take down the 3 championship banners he won for the Lakers....

06-01-2011, 11:53 PM
i don't think any gm in the NBA would pass up trading kwame for gasol. lol at kobe lighting a fire under mitch.

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
crofl, really?

That's not talking shit? lol

:downspin: that shit, Machine...

Thats it? LOL...you are comparing THAT to what Shaq has said in the past 7 years? :lol

TheMACHINE
06-01-2011, 11:58 PM
If you don't think Shaq's jersey should be up there then go take down the 3 championship banners he won for the Lakers....

lol thinking championships are the only reasons why someone should be on the rafters.

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 12:07 AM
He showed he wouldn't coexist with Shaq in the Detroit series. He was willing to shoot LA out of it instead of having O'neal get another MVP

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 12:24 AM
He showed he wouldn't coexist with Shaq in the Detroit series.

& he was proven right. Bryant went on to win 2 NBA Titles after the divorce. Daddy only 1.

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 01:26 AM
& he was proven right. Bryant went on to win 2 NBA Titles after the divorce. Daddy only 1.
They would have won atleast 2 together. It's why I don't understand why Laker fans get bitter at Phil's feelings towards Kobe. In Phil's perspective he didn't nor should he care about Kobe's legacy. He'll never view Kobe in the same light since he cost him 2 titles (04 & 08) AND who knows how many if he accepted Pippen role for another 2 seasons

Thompson
06-02-2011, 01:37 AM

They should have Shaq and Kareem unveil the new statues on the same day; Shaq pulls the drape off of his statue and Kareem pulls the drape off of Horry's. Kareem's expression would be priceless.

TheManFromAcme
06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
old wounds for me as a die hard fan
I hated to see Shaq go

how do you "not" retire his number?

controversial dude, no doubt, but he was still the foundation to those championships. when the Lakers picked him up, Shaq was the centerpiece of the franchise. nobody else.

glad to see #34 back home where he belongs.
When I think back to all that joy and how great it felt to get that 3-peat, yeah,....i forget about all the other stuff. :tu

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 07:05 AM
They would have won atleast 2 together. It's why I don't understand why Laker fans get bitter at Phil's feelings towards Kobe. In Phil's perspective he didn't nor should he care about Kobe's legacy. He'll never view Kobe in the same light since he cost him 2 titles (04 & 08) AND who knows how many if he accepted Pippen role for another 2 seasons

& once again Kobe was proven right. It was Phil who came back, hat-in-hand, beggin' for his job back. & Kobe signed off on his return, quietly, unobtrusively. It was very gracious of Kobe. Phil learned his lessons there. Kobe the teacher.

hater
06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
the 2000-2002 3 peat is 80% or more thanks to Shaq. It's the least they could do.

ElNono
06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Thats it? LOL...you are comparing THAT to what Shaq has said in the past 7 years? :lol

He wasn't in the team by then... They fucked kicked him out of the backdoor, what do you think he would say? :lol

Thanks for the memories :cry :cry :cry

ambchang
06-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2909549

ambchang
06-02-2011, 10:09 AM

You mean Jerry West worked his ass to land Pau Gasol. But then, why does it matter? Gasol is this soft euro who can't ball. Kobe won despite him, n'est pas?

ambchang
06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
& once again Kobe was proven right. It was Phil who came back, hat-in-hand, beggin' for his job back. & Kobe signed off on his return, quietly, unobtrusively. It was very gracious of Kobe. Phil learned his lessons there. Kobe the teacher.

Phil Jackson begged for his job back with the Lakers after the Lakers were kicked out of the 1st round?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/06/14/jackson/index.html

Sounds like the Lakers fans and management begged him back.

"One of the reasons why I've returned is the support has been so tremendous in this city," he said. "It is a town that truly supports its team and has a tremendous amount of affection for it."

Jeanie Buss, the owner's daughter and the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations, publicly lobbied for months for the return of Jackson, her longtime boyfriend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/sports/basketball/14cnd-jackson.html?hp

The biggest exception was Jeanie Buss, a Lakers vice president, the daughter of the team owner and Jackson's girlfriend of five years. Although she does not work on the basketball side of team operations, Buss played a central role in Jackson's return, lobbying both Jackson and her father for the last few months.

The Lakers just completed their worst season in 11 years, going 34-48 and missing the playoffs. In two weeks, they will participate in their first draft lottery since 1994.

I mean, what's up with Laker fans and revisionist history?

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Phil Jackson begged for his job back with the Lakers after the Lakers were kicked out of the 1st round?

Yes, and Kobe was magnanimous to grant him absolution.

Ashy Larry
06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
people like to think Kobe got Shaquille ran but when you run up and down the court screaming at Doc Buss, chance are, you're done. Let one of us roll into our boss's office and say "Pay Me My Money, Muthafukka" and see what happens.

TheMACHINE
06-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Really? They got beat be the Spurs in 03, then got assraped in the Finals in 04. Yet people still think "ohhh if they stuck together, they would have had more titles"...bullshit...based on the past 2 years they played, it was clear one had to go.

BlackSwordsMan
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
This is typical for kids daddy brings hope the food and yet he gets shit on when he leaves mommy because shes too old and bitches a lot and doesn't stick her pinky in daddy's asshole when she blows him anymore. Get over it lakerfags.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Daddy wanted Kobe to be "Gilligan" to Daddy's "Skipper." Kobe was going to have none of it. Phil was "The Professor." Kori would be of course "Ginger." I would take the part of Thurston Howell, III. "Lovey" will be played by Swords in drag. "Maryann" will be played by Tiny.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
This is typical for kids daddy brings hope the food and yet he gets shit on when he leaves mommy because shes too old and bitches a lot and doesn't stick her pinky in daddy's asshole when she blows him anymore.

Gulp.

Killakobe81
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Talk about revisionist history, how in the world were the Lakers going to win in 2008? Odom and Pau got punked and we were mossing two vital role players. Celts played some of the best defense of the past 20 years but Kobe could of magically won the title in 2008 by passing more? GTFO!

As for 2004 a case can be made we were the more talented team, but the Pistons played harder, played better defense and were better coached.
2004 was one of the most dysfunctional teams EVER assembled maybe on ly the Jailblazers and some of Karl's early flameout Sonics were teams of equal talent that could not put it all together ...I lived in L.A. the national media just focused on Kobe/shaq that team dealt with:

1. the Kobe shaq feud at it's worst
2. Colorado
3. Karl malone allegedly hitting on Kobe's wife
4. Payton feuding with Phil about the triangle
5. fisher being demoted ...

I could go on, but that group had more talent but Pistons were a better "team". they out played us ...period. Kobe was a stubborn ass that Finals but i was not surprised when we flamed out ...fuck that team. that and the 2002-2003 squad (that actually won) were my LEAST favorite Lakers teams. Watching Kobe chuck, Smush run point and Luke as a starter were better than either year tbh ...only saving grace is we completed the 3 peat but that team needed to be reconstructed if they could not mend fences, but whoo breaks up a potential dynasty. Magic, west etc hoped they could kiss and makeup but the media fed the beats and it spun way out of control. Some laker fans are still divided along pro-Kobe/Shaq supporter party lines ...

TheNextGen
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
"Is Shaq a Hall-of-Famer? Of course. Should the Lakers retire his #? Hell, no!"

"With all the terrible things Shaq said about Dr. Buss, the Lakers and Los Angeles when he left, let the Heat retire his jersey."

"The Lakers will cowtow to Shaq and retire his jersey, but I'd tell him to go f*** himself if I were Dr. Buss."

"You yell "Pay me, mother****** at me during a game?" Enjoy your jersey ceremony in Miami, Shaq."

"Shaq sacrificed all post-career honors after ripping into everyone with the Lakers and Los Angeles."

"Would your boss give you a big severance package and retirement ceremony if you behaved like Shaq? No."

"Shaq told his boss to f*** himself, called L.A. "fake" and ripped the fans and his teammates. No way!"

"As a final "f*** you" to the Lakers and their fans, Shaq signs with the Celtics! Get lost!"

"Agreed, Shaq was a great, though underachieving, player. So let the Heat retire his jersey."

"Shaq was happiest man in America when Lakers lost to Cetics in '08. "Kobe, tell me how my ass tastes""

"It would be a joke for the Lakers to retire the Big Ingrate's #."

"Signed with Celtics,danced in celebration when Celtics won in '08. "You couldn't do it w/o me. Kobe, tell me how my ass tastes.""

"Shaq didn't bring 3 rings. It was Shaq, Kobe and Phil. Kobe also never called L.A. a "fake city" and faked injuries."

"I can't believe all the ass kissing of Shaq going on all over the country. None of them live in L.A., evidently."

"How can you call yourself the "Most Dominant Ever" when you never led the NBA in rebounding, blocks or been named 1st team all-defense?"

"Remember when Shaq refused to have surgery in summer of '02, because "I'll do it on company time, not my time." Cost them a championship."

"Remember how he began every season, except 1999-00, out-of-shape? $20M salary and he loafed through every season."

"Remember this quote from Shaq? "Jerry West didn't bring me here to play defense and rebound.""

"Remember when Shaq threatened to intentionally let opponents score? "When you don't feed the big dog, the big dog don't guard the yard.""

"Remember this one, when Shaq demanded a trade? "If they don't trade me, I'll go and get surgery and miss the season." Extortion."

"Before the Heat trade, Shaq called Dr. Buss "senile," Kupchak an "idiot," ripped the organization and blamed his teammates for losing."

"When Shaq got to Miami, he said L.A. was "a fake city," Dwyane Wade was "better than Kobe" and Mickey Arison the "best owner in the NBA.""

"At Heat parade, Shaq said "Heat was the best organization I've ever played for and Miami is the best city.""

"Then, as a final "F*** you" to the Lakers and their fans, Shaq signed with the Celtics "Because I want to help them win a championship.""

"Just speaking the truth for all the ass kissers out there lying about Shaq."

"He was a great player here and contributed to championships. But his hatred and vitriole after he left eliminates him."

"Until he apologizes to Dr. Buss, Chick Hearn, Kobe, the fans and his teammates, nothing is resolved."

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
lol thinking championships are the only reasons why someone should be on the rafters.

3 Straight Titles, 3 STRAIGHT finals MVPs, 1 League MVP, and was possibly the most dominant player the league had ever seen during that time. He cemented his hall of fame status in a Lakers uniform

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Since we're gonna go the stats route:

2000 -- Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers
Averaged 38.0 points, 16.7 rebounds and 2.67 blocks to lead the Lakers to a 4-2 victory over the Indiana Pacers and the franchise’s first NBA Championship since 1988. O’Neal’s best Finals performances came at the Staples Center with 43 points, 19 rebounds in Game #1, 40 points, 24 rebounds in Game #2 and 41 points, 12 rebounds in Game #6.
2001 -- Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers
Averaged 33.0 points, 15.6 rebounds and 3.40 blocks to lead the Lakers to a 4-1victory over the Philadelphia 76ers and the franchise’s second consecutive NBA Championship. O’Neal’s best Finals performances came at the Staples Center with 44 points, 20 rebounds and five assists in Game #1, 28 points, 20 rebounds and nine assists in Game #2 and 34 points, 14 rebounds in Game #4. 2002 -- Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers
Averaged 36.3 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.75 blocks to lead the Lakers to a sweep of the New Jersey Nets and the franchise’s third consecutive NBA Championship. O’Neal’s best Finals performances came at the Staples Center with 36 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks in Game #1, 40 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists in Game #2, 35 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks in Game #3.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 11:20 AM
dj, runnin' as fast as he can.:lmao

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
dj, runnin' as fast as he can.:lmao

And threw down a windmill dunk

The Gemini Method
06-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Sure he was a prick at times but he does (one day) deserve to have his number retired. He was as feared as they come when his peak happened in L.A. The rapid claim that his number does definitely have the majority of proud Laker fans a bit weary, but there is no denying his importance int he franchises' return to prominence. Let's hope he doesn't turn into another Favre and continuously clamor to return to the game he played professionally for nearly 2 decades.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
We skimmed the cream, then dumped him for Odom who then delivered 2 more rings.

Not bad ROI.

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Shaq is the best player in Lakers history, if you don't put his jersey up, no ones jersey should go up.

Magic Johnson says hi.

Prime Shaq was a beast, no doubt, but better than Magic? Uh...no...

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Without Magic there is no breakthru in MA. in '85. And without that breakthru, we're still drifting in the winds the last 25 years.

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Without Magic there is no breakthru in MA. in '85. And without that breakthru, we're still drifting in the winds the last 25 years.

^ Cully with the goods overnighted to your doorstep. :toast

kamikazi_player
06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
i dont like it...

lmao ungrateful laker fan