PDA

View Full Version : Copa America 2011 thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

diego
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
The tournament is a month away, so I thought it would be good to get this started for predictions etc.

Since the tourney is in Argentina, I'd like to see what some of the other argies in the forum think about our team:

1) Is Batista a good coach?
2) Are we the favorite?

I think Batista is not a good coach, but still consider us the favorites- we are at home, we have the best player in the world, and neither Brazil, Uruguay, or Paraguay are particularly strong at the moment (still easily the best of the continent with Chile and Mexico just behind, IMO).

I think our main weakness is goal keeper, followed by center back; and I am worried that Batista is putting a team that is too light and too messi-dependent to break big, tough defensive teams like paraguay, uruguay, and brazil. Still, if messi plays at a high level and we can keep teams on the defensive, coupled with being at home, I think we are slight favorites over the other 3.

------

Group A
Argentina
Colombia
Bolivia
Costa Rica

Group B
Brazil
Paraguay
Venezuela
Ecuador

Group C
Uruguay
Chile
Peru
Mexico

DAF86
06-01-2011, 10:04 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165819 tbh, but I don't care really.

I don't know if Batista is a good coach, he hasn't had the experience to tell. I like the idea of trying to copy Barca's style, I think it will help Messi a lot.

And yes, we're the favourites, best names and at home, if this was an all vs all league kind of tournament I would confidently say that Argentina would win it, but in a tournament with a knockout stage anything can happen, and many times the best team doesn't end up winning. Also, there could be some pressure on our players to perfrom well at home.

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2011, 10:27 PM
diego forlan is going to shine

it's me
06-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Argentina hasn't had a real coach for years....... and their main issue is defense, while Argentina has the best forwards/strikers, they could easily be the "phoenix suns" of the tournament..... Brazil has the best defense in the world and everybody will play Arg counterattacking.... Sorry but I think it'll be another big disappointment .... and it'll be Messi's fault for most idiots.

ElNono
06-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Batista is a dog. They won't play like Barça because we can't make 3 passes without turning it over. That said, what I want to see is what the defense looks like. That's what basically define whether they're contender or pretenders. If you see guys like Burdisso or Carrizo, we're done.

I see it playing out somewhat like the last Copa America. Argentina dominating some games, winning some fairly comfortably, and if they go down, they go down big.

IronMaxipad
06-01-2011, 11:11 PM
CONCACAF is only letting Mexico take their U23 team.. :(

DAF86
06-01-2011, 11:22 PM
CONCACAF is only letting Mexico take their U23 team.. :(

Bush league, I had a lot of expectations of seeing Chicharito and co. play, I've always loved their style an now they have some young talent to make them even more interesting.

People in charge of football in South America should start treating the Copa America like Europeans do with the Eurocup, 1 month every 4 years is too little to see some meaningful Nationl Team football.

FkLA
06-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Brasil seems to own Argentina tbh, even when Argentina is steam rolling through everyone like the last Copa America...also isnt Tevez being left out of the roster because of some beef with the coach??I see Brasil taking it again even with Arg hosting it.

Also Mexico is gna take a U23 squad+3 refuerzos imo....Chicharito & Gio should be eligible tho since theyre like 21/22. Not sure if theyll go tho since theyll play the Gold Cup this month :(

IronMaxipad
06-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Brasil seems to own Argentina tbh, even when Argentina is steam rolling through everyone like the last Copa America...also isnt Tevez being left out of the roster because of some beef with the coach??I see Brasil taking it again even with Arg hosting it.

Also Mexico is gna take a U23 squad+3 refuerzos imo....Chicharito & Gio should be eligible tho since theyre like 21/22. Not sure if theyll go tho since theyll play the Gold Cup this month :(

They aren't going. This is Mexico's copa america roster:

Goalkeepers

Luis Ernesto Michel Vergara - Guadalajara
Liborio Sánchez - Veracruz
Carlos Felipe Rodríguez - Monarcas

Defenders

Jonny Magallón - Guadalajara
Miguel Ponce - Guadalajara
Darvin Chávez - Atlas
Néstor Vidrio - Atlas
Hiram Mier - Monterrey
Néstor Araujo - Cruz Azul
Paul Aguilar - America
Israel Jiménez - Tigres
Fernando Navarro - Atlante

Midfielders

Jorge Enríquez - Guadalajara
Marco Fabián de la Mora - Guadalajara
Javier Aquino - Cruz Azul
Jorge Hernández - Jaguares
David Cabrera - Pumas
Diego Reyes - América
Néstor Calderón - Toluca
Jonathan Dos Santos - Barcelona B
Edgar Pacheco - Atlas

Forwards

Rafael Márquez Lugo - Monarcas
Javier Cortes - Pumas
Oribe Peralta - Santos
Carlos Vela - Arsenal
Erick Torres - Guadalajara

:depressed

Mexico is also in the Under-20 world cup this summer and there are some good players on that roster that won't be in copa america either.

FkLA
06-02-2011, 02:13 AM
They aren't going. This is Mexico's copa america roster:

Goalkeepers

Luis Ernesto Michel Vergara - Guadalajara
Liborio Sánchez - Veracruz
Carlos Felipe Rodríguez - Monarcas

Defenders

Jonny Magallón - Guadalajara
Miguel Ponce - Guadalajara
Darvin Chávez - Atlas
Néstor Vidrio - Atlas
Hiram Mier - Monterrey
Néstor Araujo - Cruz Azul
Paul Aguilar - America
Israel Jiménez - Tigres
Fernando Navarro - Atlante

Midfielders

Jorge Enríquez - Guadalajara
Marco Fabián de la Mora - Guadalajara
Javier Aquino - Cruz Azul
Jorge Hernández - Jaguares
David Cabrera - Pumas
Diego Reyes - América
Néstor Calderón - Toluca
Jonathan Dos Santos - Barcelona B
Edgar Pacheco - Atlas

Forwards

Rafael Márquez Lugo - Monarcas
Javier Cortes - Pumas
Oribe Peralta - Santos
Carlos Vela - Arsenal
Erick Torres - Guadalajara

Mexico is also in the Under-20 world cup this summer and there are some good players on that roster that won't be in copa america either.

:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss

wtf would chepo waste the refuerzos on guys like marquez lugo, peralta, and paul aguilar...these niggas will be lucky to get out of the group stage smh

diego
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165819 tbh, but I don't care really.

I don't know if Batista is a good coach, he hasn't had the experience to tell. I like the idea of trying to copy Barca's style, I think it will help Messi a lot.

meh, that thread has been dead for 6 months!

Batista hasnt had experience to tell? He's been coaching for over a decade, mostly fighting for promotion/relegation in our domestic league (with more relegation than promotion IIRC), and failing to qualify the sub20 squad to the WC (a category that argentina has been dominating for over a decade). He did win the 2008 olympics though- I believe that is his only win as a coach aside from promotion. I remember you and Manumaniac blasting Maradona for lack of experience, and now a guy whose only achievement in over a decade is an olympic gold gets a "wait and see" pass?

In theory copying the barca system sounds good, but Argentina does not have the same quality at the back to compensate for 2 playmakers with limited defensive ability in midfield (xavi and iniesta in barca). Not to mention years of playing time together...

Batista is a dog. They won't play like Barça because we can't make 3 passes without turning it over. That said, what I want to see is what the defense looks like. That's what basically define whether they're contender or pretenders. If you see guys like Burdisso or Carrizo, we're done.

Batista said that he has a weakness for Carrizo not long ago...
I agree that our D is our main problem. If we can keep teams on their heels then maybe it wont show, but I have no faith in the defense, especially the goalie, whether it be romero, carrizo, andujar... maybe we should nationalize a yankee goalie :lol

---

it sucks that mexico cant send a better team, but I think that has more to do with FIFA politics (to insure they send their best to their own regional tournament than to an invitational, same with the U20 WC). It should be a good experience for their B team players. They have a good chance of qualifying past the group stage IMO, but I dont see them going farther than that.

Muser
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I'd be very surprised if Argentina doesn't win this comfortably.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I remember you and Manumaniac blasting Maradona for lack of experience, and now a guy whose only achievement in over a decade is an olympic gold gets a "wait and see" pass?

First of all, we were right about Maradona. Second, I don't think Batista is a good coach, but I do think he's got the right idea. Copying Barca is out of the question since for all the firepower this team has, we don't have anyone resembling a Xavi or an Iniesta like you said, but mimicking them is the right choice. Learning to play through ball control and precise passing is key.

I will agree with you that our main weakness is defense. Now, how to solve that problem escapes I must admit.

MB20
06-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Nobody sees Uruguay as a contender?
Aren´t them basically the same team that went far into last WC?

Argentina misses those great central backs they used to have.
Who is our best defender today? Check the list:

Defenders: Gabriel Milito (Barcelona, España), Ezequiel Garay (Real Madrid, España), Nicolás Burdisso (Roma, Italia), Javier Zanetti (Inter, Italia), Nicolás Pareja y Marcos Rojo (Spartak Moscú, Rusia), Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City, Inglaterra) y Fabián Monzón (Boca Juniors).

:bang

As someone said in a previous post, Argentina will be the Phoenix Suns (or the 2010/2011 Spurs :hat)

Off topic:
I will watch the tournament, but I honestly are more interested in the BB Preolympic tournament in Mar del Plata. (tickets go on sale next monday...have you seen how much do they cost? :bang)

DAF86
06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
meh, that thread has been dead for 6 months!

Well, the idea was to bump by the time the Copa America arrived. But like I said, I don't care.

Batista hasnt had experience to tell? He's been coaching for over a decade, mostly fighting for promotion/relegation in our domestic league (with more relegation than promotion IIRC), and failing to qualify the sub20 squad to the WC (a category that argentina has been dominating for over a decade). He did win the 2008 olympics though- I believe that is his only win as a coach aside from promotion. I remember you and Manumaniac blasting Maradona for lack of experience, and now a guy whose only achievement in over a decade is an olympic gold gets a "wait and see" pass?

He hasn't had the chance to coach any big name team, that's what I meant.

In theory copying the barca system sounds good, but Argentina does not have the same quality at the back to compensate for 2 playmakers with limited defensive ability in midfield (xavi and iniesta in barca). Not to mention years of playing time together...

Well, we play with Mascherano, Cambiasso and Banega in midfield so those are three players with defensive abilities. And I'm not hoping to play exactly like Barcelona but if we can copy some things for example the pressing in the other teams half (which is a matter of desire, not talent), and the message of trying to get the possesion of the ball (instead of having 70% like Barca, having 60% like normal teams) then I think we would be OK.

Batista said that he has a weakness for Carrizo not long ago...
I agree that our D is our main problem. If we can keep teams on their heels then maybe it wont show, but I have no faith in the defense, especially the goalie, whether it be romero, carrizo, andujar... maybe we should nationalize a yankee goalie :lol

I like Carrizo, he's very complete at all aspects of the game: good on the air, good with his feet, and great positioning. Defense is where we suck specially if like it appears to be the case Milito starts.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Our best defenders are old: Samuel and Zanetti. Sucks that Maradona left out Cambiasso and Zanetti for the WC roster and unfortunately Samuel was injured in the first game. I couldn't take watching Otamendi, Burdisso, and Demichelis.

Argentina needs defenders asap, obviously good in attack, could use one or two more quality attacking midfielders but in a couple of years Pastore can be a really good player and Messi now pretty much plays in the midfield and forward areas.

DAF86
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Our best defenders are old: Samuel and Zanetti. Sucks that Maradona left out Cambiasso and Zanetti for the WC roster and unfortunately Samuel was injured in the first game. I couldn't take watching Otamendi, Burdisso, and Demichelis.

Otamendi is good at centerback, the problem is that Maradona played him at right back.

Argentina needs defenders asap, obviously good in attack, could use one or two more quality attacking midfielders but in a couple of years Pastore can be a really good player and Messi now pretty much plays in the midfield and forward areas.

Erik Lamela (the guy on my sig) and Ricky Alvarez are those miedfielders, both will be >> Pastore when they get to Europe. In fact I would have add them to this Copa America roster.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Otamendi is good at centerback, the problem is that Maradona played him at right back.

Erik Lamela (the guy on my sig) and Ricky Alvarez are those miedfielders, both will be >> Pastore when they get to Europe. In fact I would have add them to this Copa America roster.
I'm still not convinced of Otamendi, I think he's a scrub. If only Cambiasso were on that WC team, you could experiment with Mascherano in the back line just like Barca have been doing now. They've used him as a central defender but I think he could do a decent job as a full back given the type of player he is.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Thats weird that Mexico can't take their A League team. Who gives a shit who they take if they're not taking them away from their clubs?

diego
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Nobody sees Uruguay as a contender?
Aren´t them basically the same team that went far into last WC?

Argentina misses those great central backs they used to have.
Who is our best defender today? Check the list:

Defenders: Gabriel Milito (Barcelona, España), Ezequiel Garay (Real Madrid, España), Nicolás Burdisso (Roma, Italia), Javier Zanetti (Inter, Italia), Nicolás Pareja y Marcos Rojo (Spartak Moscú, Rusia), Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City, Inglaterra) y Fabián Monzón (Boca Juniors).

As someone said in a previous post, Argentina will be the Phoenix Suns (or the 2010/2011 Spurs :hat)

Off topic:
I will watch the tournament, but I honestly are more interested in the BB Preolympic tournament in Mar del Plata. (tickets go on sale next monday...have you seen how much do they cost? :bang)

Uruguay is definitely a contender, I included them in my OP. but I dont think they will replicate their WC success because I dont think Forlan is in the same form he was then- you never know though, thats whats great about this sport.

I would add Gonzalo Rodriguez (villareal) to the list of defenders. He's had bad luck with injuries but he is still relatively young and I think he is better than some of the guys you listed (though I admit I havent seen him very much post injury, maybe he's lost a step). Milito and Garay are very overrated IMO, though Milito lost a lot to injury. Still, we dont have anywhere near the quality we need to be a world power.

as for the OT, I live in Chile and had been planning to go to watch the Preolympic tournament, but changed my mind when I saw the prices. I'll just go see family instead...

MB20
06-03-2011, 08:17 AM

I wouldn´t go that far.
Lamela and Alvarez are very good...for our local league. We´ll have to wait and see how they perform once they get to Europe and face the best players.
Pastore had a very good season in Italy, so he is proven against quality competition. And he is very young (Chelsea is interested in him. His team (Palermo) said that would cost $ 80 million :wow)

IronMaxipad
06-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Giovani Dos Santos given permission to play in Copa America! Still not close to our "A" team but better than nothing.

Also Arsenal will not let Carlos Vela play in Copa America

SAtown
06-07-2011, 04:56 PM

LOL Vela's career already going down the shitter

Spurstro
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Giovani Dos Santos given permission to play in Copa America! Still not close to our "A" team but better than nothing.

Why not? Might as well give him a chance to play

Spurstro
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
LOL....is this true?

http://rumorsandrants.com/2011/06/email-the-reason-brazilian-player-not-on-national-team-roster.html

IronMaxipad
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Why not? Might as well give him a chance to play

I don't know, think they said something about wanting him to play in pre season games for Arsenal.

diego
06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
LOL....is this true?

http://rumorsandrants.com/2011/06/email-the-reason-brazilian-player-not-on-national-team-roster.html
well the source is the coach, can't be dismissed to easily... but who knows, maybe the coach is making this up to hide another reason, I haven't read any report with the player's version of events

ElNono
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Our best defenders are old: Samuel and Zanetti.

Samuel is the only above average defender we have left. I can't believe Diego didn't play him again after he recovered in the WC. I disagree that Otamendi is any good at center-back. He's slow footed and just doesn't have the experience. You need more than just grit to play there.

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
LOL....is this true?

:lmao that's nuts, can someone verify it?

Spurstro
06-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't know, think they said something about wanting him to play in pre season games for Arsenal.

Guess they want him him ready for those early rounds of the Carling and FA Cups....he'll play good.....fans will get excited....he won't do anything else in the league and get loaned out in Jan.

IronMaxipad
06-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Youtube is going to be streaming all Copa America games on their youtube channel and you can watch old games: youtube.com/copaamerica

Great game :)
http://youtu.be/vxvgm0vc0Sg

http://i.min.us/icZAwg.gif

lefty
06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Thks for the heads up

Man, I can't wait, it's gonna be good :D

DAF86
06-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Youtube is going to be streaming all Copa America games on their youtube channel and you can watch old games: youtube.com/copaamerica

Great game :)
http://youtu.be/vxvgm0vc0Sg

http://i.min.us/icZAwg.gif

Nice find.

IronMaxipad
06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Mexico should withdraw our team fucking sucks.

fuck you CONCACAF :bang

ElNono
06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
That YouTube find is awesome :tu

Thanks

ALVAREZ6
06-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Just noticed the new Argentina away kits, I like them a lot.

http://www.worldcupjerseys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/argentina-lionel-messi-adidas-2011-home-and-away-kits.jpg

DAF86
06-16-2011, 06:18 AM
I hate them, the previous uniform was much better.

http://www.ligafutbol.com/uploadimages/messi_en_el_partido_vs_grecia_17487.jpg

IronMaxipad
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
The second kit is ugly

lefty
06-16-2011, 02:04 PM
The 1st one is sweet, the 2nd one is fugly

ALVAREZ6
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM
you guys are ugly

lefty
06-16-2011, 02:19 PM
you guys are ugly
I admit, I'm one ugly motherfucker

IronMaxipad
06-16-2011, 02:25 PM

ElNono
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Don't like them. IMO, the last great t-shirt they had was the Germany 2006 one:

http://ronaldoscorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/300px-ArgentinaShirt2006WorldCup.jpg

ALVAREZ6
06-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Don't like them. IMO, the last great t-shirt they had was the Germany 2006 one:

http://ronaldoscorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/300px-ArgentinaShirt2006WorldCup.jpg

No the last two unis have been good.

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/18-world-cup-uniforms-061010-lg-55140532.jpg

Simple, new white stripe look.

http://www.biztrademarket.com/User/180042/bb/argentina_0809_home_rgi.jpg

These were nice and simple too, and you can't tell on the pic because of the resolution+size but they had the AFA shield embedded/grooved/can'tthinkofwordI'msearchingfor on the entire front side.

ElNono
06-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Alvarez, I have all 3. :lol

I normally put them on when I go see the Spurs, since Manu spots you right away when you're wearing one.

What I like about the Germany one is the little longer back, and the golden lines. Plus the material is the nicest of the 3 IMO.

ElNono
06-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Looks like the Argentina back 4 are going to be:

Javier Zanetti, Nicolás Burdisso, Gabriel Milito, Marcos Rojo

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110217001626/callofduty/images/d/d9/FUUUU.jpg

MB20
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Defensive 4 are not very good, but it also depends on who will be the defensive midfielders.
If Argentina is going with Mascherano and Banega as a "double" 5, then it would be ok, I guess.
Batista tried with the following midfield: Mascherano, Banega, Biglia and Pastore.
I haven´t heard from Biglia in a loooooooooooong time. He used to be good at the U21NT.
Question mark there for me.

it's me
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Looks like the Argentina back 4 are going to be:

Javier Zanetti, Nicolás Burdisso, Gabriel Milito, Marcos Rojo

^ = Fucked TBH

ALVAREZ6
06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Alvarez, I have all 3. :lol

I normally put them on when I go see the Spurs, since Manu spots you right away when you're wearing one.

What I like about the Germany one is the little longer back, and the golden lines. Plus the material is the nicest of the 3 IMO.

I agree it's a good one, but I like the material of the 3rd one as well (08/09 uni), the one I have. The sleeves are nice too and I like it's minor details.

I'm not a big fan of the new collar on the home uni though, just seems to not fit to me with the other modern details/look of the jersey. I like the use of the collar when it fits the uni, like the typical England jersey.

ElNono
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I agree it's a good one, but I like the material of the 3rd one as well (08/09 uni), the one I have. The sleeves are nice too and I like it's minor details.

I'm not a big fan of the new collar on the home uni though, just seems to not fit to me with the other modern details/look of the jersey. I like the use of the collar when it fits the uni, like the typical England jersey.

I'll probably get the new one too. The guy that works at the local Soccer Post is from Argentina (San Isidro), and he always gives me a discount.

diego
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't like those fitted, modern jerseys very much. Of the recent ones, I like this one the most:

http://www.pasionalbiceleste.com.ar/media/galeria/1186/6/1/3/1/n_seleccion_argentina_varios-1781316.jpg

The new one looks nice, I dig the collar, but the away is also too modern IMO

DAF86
06-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't like those fitted, modern jerseys very much. Of the recent ones, I like this one the most:

http://www.pasionalbiceleste.com.ar/media/galeria/1186/6/1/3/1/n_seleccion_argentina_varios-1781316.jpg

The new one looks nice, I dig the collar, but the away is also too modern IMO

That is the ugliest shirt in Argetina's history imo.

ALVAREZ6
06-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Definitely up there. That shit looks like a 12 year old made a rough draft and no one even bother editing it.

ElNono
06-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Agreed.

ALVAREZ6
06-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Argentina-Albania friendly on ESPN3. Goal in the 6th minute, Messi assists Lavezzi. Good to finally see the real players playing.

ALVAREZ6
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Lavezzi just returned the favor in assisting Messi. Nice build up and goal.

ElNono
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Argentina is the champion of meaningless midfield passing with no depth. Somebody tell Batista that passing and passing in the midfield isn't the same as "playing like Barça".

ElNono
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Also, DiMaria is so overrated. The guy has no right foot, and only seem to give a shit when attacking.

ALVAREZ6
06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Argentina is the champion of meaningless midfield passing with no depth. Somebody tell Batista that passing and passing in the midfield isn't the same as "playing like Barça".

While I've barely watched much of this game (just happened to get lucky in seeing both goals in the few mins I watched), I know exactly what you mean. It can be very frustrating. I think a lot of it has to do with the team as a whole not moving very well without the ball, relative to the firepower the team has. That's just my opinion, but it's just damn frustrating to see years of awesome talent go to waste, especially the 2010 WC. Granted Germany was an awesome team, they still shouldn't have had any business being knocked out in the quarterfinals. Sick of being knocked out by the Germans, especially 06, that was a fluke.

ALVAREZ6
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Also, DiMaria is so overrated. The guy has no right foot, and only seem to give a shit when attacking.

:tu

I'm finally beginning to understand what lefty has been preaching all year long :lol.

ElNono
06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
This is not even "the best" Albania team (whatever that turd is anyways). We should be up 6-0 before starting to waste time with meaningless passing...

DAF86
06-20-2011, 06:05 PM

meaningless midfield passing is a whole lot better than useless long balls or mindless forwards runs that only leads to losing possession of the ball. At least if you have "meaningless possession" you can't get scored on.

DAF86
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Disagreed, I like Di Maria a lot. It's true that he has no right foot but he's fast, has a great first touch and ball control, and with Mourinho he has grown a lot tactically and in terms of work rate without the ball.

ElNono
06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
meaningless midfield passing is a whole lot better than useless long balls or mindless forwards runs that only leads to losing possession of the ball. At least if you have "meaningless possession" you can't get scored on.

Possession of the ball is meaningless without actually having depth in attack. When the circuit is Banega, Mascherano, Biglia, Zanetti and back to Banega the other team is winning that battle. Teams like Barça actually keep probing and moving forward as they pass around. They move from back to middle pretty quickly, and eventually they do their passing routine from the middle to the front of the penalty area, where they can actually do damage.

Unfortunately, in Argentina, Messi seems to be the only one actually able to do something different on offense (both on passing and getting past defenders somewhat at will), which makes this team very predictable, IMO. I did like what Agüero brought in this game though.

And we've proven for well over a decade that having possession and getting scored on are not mutually exclusive. When you have a fairly mediocre defense, it doesn't take more than a couple of chances.

Disagreed, I like Di Maria a lot. It's true that he has no right foot but he's fast, has a great first touch and ball control, and with Mourinho he has grown a lot tactically and in terms of work rate without the ball.

I disagree. That's all he has, running. He actually has terrible ball control. Unless he's outracing somebody he can't dribble himself out of anything. He's a fairly poor passer. In a nutshell he's all vertigo and no brains.
His 'defense' can be summed up as running to the person with the ball, and either standing in front of him waiting for the guy to pass or just fouling him.

I was really high on him when he was with the youth teams, and I thought that as he would grow his game would get more polish, but he's just as raw as back then. Pretty disappointed actually.

DAF86
06-21-2011, 01:26 AM
BTW watching Messi play outside of Barcelona makes you appreciate just how good he is. In Barcelona he's obviously regarded as the best player by pretty much everybody but in most games he has the luxury of staying upfront and rest or dropping back to get in touch with the ball but just to make some passes and chill a bit. In argentina he doesn't have the teammates he has in Barcelona so he knows he has to do a lot more. He has to drop back to miedfield get past a couple of defenders, make a "through pass" and sprint to the box to finish off plays. He has to be Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all in one, there's virtually no offensive play that can be made without the intervention of Messi in Argentina, it's both mind blowing and disturbing to watch for me.

sonic21
06-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Di Maria is talented but he seems to have a low football IQ. He's overrated imo. I didn't understand how Mourinho played him instead of Ozil against Madrid

I'll root for for argentina as always.

MB20
06-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Are you people trying to analyze yesterday´s friendly game vs Albania? Really?
It was just a training...

By the way...Messi´s assist to Aguero for the 3rd goal was really nice.

ElNono
06-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Are you people trying to analyze yesterday´s friendly game vs Albania? Really?
It was just a training...

By the way...Messi´s assist to Aguero for the 3rd goal was really nice.

Meh, we were commenting on the game as it was going on. My issues with the team and guys like DiMaria predate the friendly. Seeing more of the same prompted the comments, that's all.

ElNono
06-21-2011, 07:39 AM
BTW watching Messi play outside of Barcelona makes you appreciate just how good he is. In Barcelona he's obviously regarded as the best player by pretty much everybody but in most games he has the luxury of staying upfront and rest or dropping back to get in touch with the ball but just to make some passes and chill a bit. In argentina he doesn't have the teammates he has in Barcelona so he knows he has to do a lot more. He has to drop back to miedfield get past a couple of defenders, make a "through pass" and sprint to the box to finish off plays. He has to be Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all in one, there's virtually no offensive play that can be made without the intervention of Messi in Argentina, it's both mind blowing and disturbing to watch for me.

Agree. And that ties with what I was saying earlier about predictability. Granted, it's difficult to stop him, but it's not unreasonable to think that if you manage to control him, argentina would have a very difficult time generating actual offense.

ElNono
06-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Di Maria is talented but he seems to have a low football IQ. He's overrated imo. I didn't understand how Mourinho played him instead of Ozil against Madrid

I don't think Ozil is anything special either, tbh. He's a better defender than DiMaria (not that difficult, imo) and probably has better midfielder skills, but he isn't particularly skilled.

sonic21
06-21-2011, 08:10 AM
I don't think Ozil is anything special either, tbh. He's a better defender than DiMaria (not that difficult, imo) and probably has better midfielder skills, but he isn't particularly skilled.

well i thought he was Madrid's best player this year. I don't agree with you though, i think he'll become a crack in the future.

diego
06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
well to each his own with the jersey, but I don't see how you can like to see or wear those fitted jerseys with gold highlights, they are both fruity and non-traditional IMO.

Di Maria isnt a bad player, hes just a bit redundant with messi, tevez, and aguero available. The only thing he does better than them is shoot from distance but he doesnt do it enough and the other guys bring more to the table. I agree Ozil is better, because he is a legit playmaker and that is always more valuable than a dribble/shoot player. And yes, Messi made a very nice assist for Aguero's goal.

I didnt bother watching the game, but I dont get why people are knocking argentina for being predictable and playing through messi- first, that has been batista's stated goal since he began, and second, if it wasnt his stated goal you'd all be criticizing him for not using messi as the focal point... My point is, they have to play through messi, what they need to work on is taking advantage of the attention he gets and space he creates, use him as a decoy, etc... In real games they need to keep possession to protect the shaky back, but they should take advantage of these games to risk more and find those openings and see what works for them.

lefty
06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
I think Argentina will win the tournament

Of course, I have been on a red hot jinxing streak lately, so I apologize to all Argies.

DAF86
06-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Two different positions, Di Maria is a winger while Ozil is a playmaker, maybe Mouriho wanted to attack Barca opening up the field and coming from the sides (that's how they won the Copa del Rey, where Di Maria was player of the game). To me is not a matter of chosing one or the other, I would have played with both guys.

DAF86
06-21-2011, 09:41 AM
I think Argentina will win the tournament

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3kxybtiAu1qan659o1_500.jpg

lefty
06-21-2011, 09:44 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3kxybtiAu1qan659o1_500.jpg

:lol

DAF86
06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
well to each his own with the jersey, but I don't see how you can like to see or wear those fitted jerseys with gold highlights, they are both fruity and non-traditional IMO.

How can you dislike the other shirts for beign "non-traditional" and like that Reebok design without the traditional stripes an with some thin black ones that look awful? IMO that Reebok shirt is the less traditional shirt we have had, that's why I hate it so much.

lefty
06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Di Maria and Messi seems to have a good chemistry on the NT

ElNono
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
The biggest downer about the Reebok shirt for me was that the material was pretty crappy. It just felt cheap. I could excuse the design if it's high quality.

ElNono
06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
I didnt bother watching the game, but I dont get why people are knocking argentina for being predictable and playing through messi- first, that has been batista's stated goal since he began, and second, if it wasnt his stated goal you'd all be criticizing him for not using messi as the focal point... My point is, they have to play through messi, what they need to work on is taking advantage of the attention he gets and space he creates, use him as a decoy, etc... In real games they need to keep possession to protect the shaky back, but they should take advantage of these games to risk more and find those openings and see what works for them.

Being the focus is one thing, being entirely dependent on one guy to generate offense is another. Argentina has suffered with that before Messi, for example when the team was dependent on Riquelme. The other team controls one guy and then your offense dilutes completely. That's because the team as a unit doesn't generate much offense. For example, attacking with the left back or right back is pretty much non-existent. You can't ask a 37 y/o Zanetti to keep making his runs up and down for 90 minutes anymore. Rojo is not even a true left back. IIRC, he was a center back, and his offensive skills are very lacking.

Agüero, Tevez, Lavezzi... they're all strikers. You need to figure out a way to feed them without relying just on Messi. I mean, Lio is incredible but you're putting a huge burden on him and if Maradona could be slowed down (see Final '86), then Lio can be slowed down too.

IronMaxipad
06-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Brasil should be fun to watch

http://upload.riposte.nl/upload/neymardive.gif

ElNono
06-29-2011, 01:16 PM
crofl...

2 days to go... I think Univision is showing this shit in the US, right?

ElNono
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Brasil should be fun to watch

http://upload.riposte.nl/upload/neymardive.gif

http://venezuela07.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/penalty.gif

ElNono
06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks like it's going to be split between Telefutura and Univision. Friday's opening ceremony and game is going to be on Telefutura.

DAF86
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Neymar and Robinho are more than similar in their style of play.

DAF86
06-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Quarters
Argentina-Ecuador
Colombia-Uruguay
Brasil-Costa Rica
Chile-Paraguay

Semis
Argentina-Uruguay
Brasil-Chile

Final
Argentina-Chile

Champion
Argentina

No jinx pick so we better win :lol

It's hard to predict this thing because it's difficult to predict who will qualify as the two best "third placers" and I don't know how Mexico will perform.

Fixture here if you want to play http://www.copa-america2011.net/fixture-3

IronMaxipad
06-29-2011, 07:57 PM
It's hard to predict this thing because it's difficult to predict who will qualify as the two best "third placers" and I don't know how Mexico will perform.

Fixture here if you want to play http://www.copa-america2011.net/fixture-3

M:lolxico=F:lolcked

tbh.

IronMaxipad
06-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Now instead of sending our U-22 team, we're basically sending the U-20 team.

weeeeeee unstackkkkkkkked

ElNono
06-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Now instead of sending our U-22 team, we're basically sending the U-20 team.

weeeeeee unstackkkkkkkked

Yeah, but the U-22 team had a blast... :lol

ElNono
06-30-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm re-watching ARG-MEX from the last WC (lol Tevez offside, lmao Osorio) and Romero is garbage. Burdisso is also pretty mediocre. Not having Heinze and Demichelis is probably an upgrade, but there's really nobody better to replace the first two?

I really can't think we're going to win shit with those two + Milito in the back.

Notables from this game: Higuain is probably the best classical striker we have since Crespo, and I didn't remember how washed up Maxi Rodriguez was.

ALVAREZ6
06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
What time is the game tomorrow??? on ESPN it lists the game at 20:45 EDT...what is EDT???

Basically trying to figure out when it is for the east coast.

IronMaxipad
06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
What time is the game tomorrow??? on ESPN it lists the game at 20:45 EDT...what is EDT???

Basically trying to figure out when it is for the east coast.

8:45 eastern time

ALVAREZ6
06-30-2011, 05:10 PM
8:45 eastern time

That was fast, thanks son.

urunobili
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I am welcoming myself to this thread. Argentina has a coach now so I think they'll go all the way...

ElNono
06-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Welcome uru... :tu

lol Batista... he was a coke-head too

urunobili
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Batista made Argentina win gold and played Buonanotte... not that it means a lot but River's failure to give him minutes proved to be REALLY wrong...

ElNono
06-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Good luck in the cup... I'll definitely be watching Uruguay. Forlan is always a treat to watch.

Sense
06-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Good luck in the cup... I'll definitely be watching Uruguay. Forlan is always a treat to watch.

What about Gio?! :greedy

ElNono
07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
What about Gio?! :greedy

This is a tournament for actual soccer stars, not average talent...

ogait
07-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Neymar and Brazilians have been talking a lot of shit about him becoming better than Messi.

Hope they get to play each other :ihit

urunobili
07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Neymar is good, but not Messi good.

cheguevara
07-01-2011, 10:34 AM
:lmao Bolivia. Gonna get destroyed.

I remember last game Messi got killed 1-6 vs. Bolivia.

Payback time. Argentina 10 Bolivia 0

That's right. you heard it from Che first. 10-0 or something close will be the score.

SAtown
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
:lmao

http://www.goal.com/en/news/585/argentina/2011/07/01/2556178/barcelonas-lionel-messi-i-will-win-a-world-cup-with

Barcelona's Lionel Messi: I will win a World Cup with Argentina

Argentina star Lionel Messi has stated that he believes he will lift the World Cup in his career, and says he is relishing the pressure that comes with his side's status as hosts and favourites for the Copa America.

The Barcelona phenomenon is the standard-bearer for Sergio Batista's team, and is set to play a pivotal role throughout the tournament, which starts this evening with the Albiceleste's clash against Bolivia. Argentina also face Colombia and Costa Rica in Group A, and will be expected to progress into the knockout stage in first position.

Speaking just hours before the Copa opener, Messi admitted that he is desperate to win silverware with his nation, and sees no reason why he cannot start picking up titles.

"I want to win something with the Seleccion more than anybody, and I will do it," 'La Pulga' told Ole in an interview published on Friday morning.

"I don't know why, but I know that I will win a World Cup. That time will come and I will enjoy it immensely. I don't know why, but something tells me I will win it."

This year's tournament is Messi's second appearance at the Copa America after experiencing final disappointment against Brazil four years ago. Expectations are high in front of a local crowd, but the number 10 is looking forward to the challenge.

"The pressure to win titles is always there for Argentina. Doing it here in our country raises that a little. But it is a nice pressure... that of starting a new era. If we win the Copa we can start working towards our World Cup preparations in the next years," he affirmed. Messi also highlighted his development as a player since the 2007 tournament in Venezuela.

"I feel like I have changed a lot. I have grown up, and now it is my time, my moment to shine with the Seleccion. The years have gone by and every one has been better for me."

I didn't know Iniesta and Xavi were becoming Argies.

hater
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
well he can start by winning copa america in his home country. It'd be funny if he fails at that. I would not be surprised, Neymar is surging

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
mexico only goes as far as that slowbro blanco takes them...lol last wc coming in unfit hahahah

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 01:23 PM
lolwut

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
You do know that the only reason that fatass was in the 2010 world cup was because the coach was a dumbass, hell our starting keeper was fucking Conejo :lol. Blanco wasn't even on the 2006 WC roster. and Mexico's copa america team is going to be their Youth Under 20 team. So don't really get your point tbh.

and LOL bofo

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
bringin u20 team even if you lose, at least you have legit excuse playin inexperience players....

ElNono
07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
It's not just Messi that needs to win something with the NT. Argentina hasn't won anything relevant since the '93 Copa America (excluding Olympic gold, which really is a U21 competition more or less).

Ain't going to get a better shot than this one at home, either.

Sense
07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
mexico only goes as far as that slowbro blanco takes them...lol last wc coming in unfit hahahah

Australian's know their soccer, tbh.

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
bringin u20 team even if you lose, at least you have legit excuse playin inexperience players....

Son even if we did take our A team Blanco wouldn't be on the team. He hasn't been A team material since what like 2007? :lol

Spurstro
07-01-2011, 02:16 PM

lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Argentina is really going to miss Osorio...

Y1VRjUzttGc

:lol :lol :lol

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
World class defending. :lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
lol I forgot how weak that baldie goalkeeper was too :lol

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Looking back at the 2010 wc team we fucking had Chicharito, Guardado, and Barrera all on the bench. smh

And probably the oldest and shortest goalie in the cup. :lol

Sense
07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Looking back at the 2010 wc team we fucking had Chicharito, Guardado, and Barrera all on the bench. smh

That's not the only thing that pisses me off....

He had BOFO AND FRANCO IN THERE FOR THEM.
:nope
We waited 4 years for Aguirre to fuck everything up.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Chicharito and Guardado played that whole game... I think Barrera came in later... Gio definitely started.

I thought Salcido was the best Mexican player that game...

Sense
07-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Chicharito and Guardado played that whole game... I think Barrera came in later... Gio definitely started.

I think Guardado did, but not Chicharito.... he had Franco in there...

Then Chicharito came in.. I think on the second half.. and scored.

But yeah.. Osorio, Perez, Franco, and the ref killed that game for us. :p:

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I think Guardado did, but not Chicharito.... he had Franco in there...

Then Chicharito came in.. I think on the second half.. and scored.

But yeah.. Osorio, Perez, Franco, and the ref killed that game for us. :p:

No, chicharito started and played the whole game. I was watching the game two nights ago.

http://www.fifa.com/live/competitions/worldcup/matchday=17/day=1/match=300061502/index.html

Barrera came off the bench in the 2nd half. Guardado was actually replaced in the 2nd half.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Chicharito was a bit green then though. His transfer to ManU was just announced.

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Yea that was one game. They didn't start at all during the group stage. Except for Guardado who i believe started the last group stage game.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I didn't watch much of Mexico through the group stage.

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Chicharito was a bit green then though. His transfer to ManU was just announced.

He was the leading goal scorer for mexico leading up to the world cup. tbh who would you rather have Franco or Chicharito? :lol

Or this faggot?
http://www.laschivasrayadas.com.mx/media/galeria/325/4/1/7/2/n_chivas_guadalajara_adolfo_bautista_herrera-1882714.jpg

Sense
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
No, chicharito started and played the whole game. I was watching the game two nights ago.

http://www.fifa.com/live/competitions/worldcup/matchday=17/day=1/match=300061502/index.html

Barrera came off the bench in the 2nd half. Guardado was actually replaced in the 2nd half.

I guess Franco affected me more than I expected...

God I hate that guy..

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:47 PM
He was the leading goal scorer for mexico leading up to the world cup. tbh who would you rather have Franco or Chicharito? :lol

Based Pea, obviously... but it's hard to make comparisons between the competition Mexico faces on the way to the cup and actual world cup talent...

I think Franco was there for height, especially after Borgetti was gone.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
lol bofo

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Based Pea, obviously... but it's hard to make comparisons between the competition Mexico faces on the way to the cup and actual world cup talent...

I think Franco was there for height, especially after Borgetti was gone.

They played Italy, Netherlands, and England. That's actually better than the teams we faced in the group stage tbh. :lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
They played Italy, Netherlands, and England. That's actually better than the teams we faced in the group stage tbh. :lol

lol, I'm talking games that matter... We also beat Germany 1-0 in Germany a month before the WC...

You know how that go once we were playing to advance... :lol

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
lol, I'm talking games that matter... We also beat Germany 1-0 in Germany a month before the WC...

You know how that go once we were playing to advance... :lol

Well yeah, but either way Chicharito was far better than Franco & bofo.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Well yeah, but either way Chicharito was far better than Franco & bofo.

I can't disagree with that...

ElNono
07-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Looks like they're going to do some 3D mapping for the intro ceremony. That should be nice to watch.

This is a sample of what that tech can do:
M0JSbfFS2pI

The ceremony is being televised by Telefutura at 7:30 PM EST.

DAF86
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
well he can start by winning copa america in his home country. It'd be funny if he fails at that. I would not be surprised, Neymar is surging

Are you ready for the beatdown tonight Hater? :ihit

MmP
07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Im really looking forward to what these Argentina Mavericks can do...

Libri
07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
So who's the dark horse?

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Chile? maybe.

DAF86
07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Im really looking forward to what these Argentina Mavericks can do...

Crofl, Are the Mavs the 4th best franchise in NBA history?

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
ARG starters confirmed:

Romero
Zanetti, Burdisso, Milito, Rojo
Banega, Mascherano, Cambiasso
Lavezzi, Messi, Tevez

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I would swap Lavezzi with Pastore being a playmaker... Pastore needs to play, IMO.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Youtube channel is on:

http://www.youtube.com/copaamerica

TK7sfO-TxNg

DAF86
07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
So who's the dark horse?

Chile? maybe.

I don't know about calling Chile a dark horse. Everybody expects them to do well, they're placed alongside Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay as the contenders. But if you go with the most traditional picks of Argentina and Brazil only, I agree: Chile has to be the pick.

Keep an eye on Colombia, they have a great generation of players.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Uruguay also had a great WC... they're definitely a good team that battles...

DAF86
07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I would swap Lavezzi with Pastore being a playmaker... Pastore needs to play, IMO.

I would rather play Pastore on miedfield, I prefer to have fast, more direct players on the wings like Villa, Pedro, Lavezzi, etc.

MmP
07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Crofl, Are the Mavs the 4th best franchise in NBA history?
lately argenting is owes winning at a major championship. especially with always being hyped up as candidate but never winning, not even with messi.

it's been 24 years...

DAF86
07-01-2011, 06:24 PM
24 years isn't that much when you play one tournament every two years. Specially when you have won 2 gold medals in that time span.

ElNono
I would rather play Pastore on miedfield, I prefer to have fast, more direct players on the wings like Villa, Pedro, Lavezzi, etc.

Well, I would play him 3/4, right in front of the midfield... typical argentine number 10 playmaker... with Messi-Tevez in front of him as the attack.

Unfortunately we need every bit of that defensive midfield because the back sucks.

MmP
If you wanna keep being one of the top teams in the world...

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:26 PM
What do you mean 24 years?

Argentina won the Copa America in '93...

But I do agree that when you look at the talent, we've done pretty badly and need to get back to winning.

MmP
07-01-2011, 06:27 PM
24 years isn't that much when you play one tournament every two years. Specially when you have won 2 gold medals in that time span.
:rollin gold medal..
be honest, what do u recall better? a gold medal or a world cup. those are merely meaningless, empty cups.

argentina can't keep relying on maradona's heroics from 30 years ago. they has to win something by themselves. if not i think they're not a powerful national team. mostly like spain before 2010.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
What makes you a top team is top talent... Argentina hasn't been lacking that.
Winning validates everything though.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Olympics is basically a U21 tournament... can't take that as a big accomplishment, IMO

MmP
07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
sorry but saying that CA or GM mean something for themselves as champhionships is like a spurs fan being proud for winning the divition title in 2011...win in June, when it matters, when you make history.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
sorry but saying that CA or GM mean something for themselves as champhionships is like a spurs being proud for winning the divition title in 2011...win in June, when it matters, when you make history.

Copa America = UEFA Championship. It does mean something.

None means as much as the World Cup, but they do mean something.

That's like saying Spain wasn't a top team until they won the last world cup. It's just baloney.

DAF86
:rollin gold medal..
be honest, what do u recall better? a gold medal or a world cup. those are merely meaningless, empty cups.

argentina can't keep relying on maradona's heroics from 30 years ago. they has to win something by themselves. if not i think they're not a powerful national team. mostly like spain before 2010.

I recall better the gold medals because I'm 24 years old, those gold medals were a big deal, the first one allowed us to join France as the only two Nations to have won every single tournament in football an the second one prevented Brazil from joining that distintict group. And as ElNono said, we won a Copa America 18 years ago.

ElNono
Ceremony started...

MmP
07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
To the world were almost meaningless. Especially if you they'd fail at winning the WC it only agravates more the idea of slipping great winning chances. Just like the Mavs dealt with it from 06 finals up to this month...

Im not saying Argentina is at that level, they're just gettiing close. Having the team they have, they're almost oweing the world a WC, IMHO

DAF86
07-01-2011, 06:42 PM
The WC is knock out tournament (which means many times not even the best team wins) that is played every four years, winning a WC can't be the only measure to determine a team's worth. In 2014 there will be 24 years since Germany won a WC, will it mean that Germany isn't elite?

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
To the world were almost meaningless. Especially if you they'd fail at winning the WC it only agravates more the idea of slipping great winning chances. Just like the Mavs dealt with it from 06 finals up to this month...

Im not saying Argentina is at that level, they're just gettiing close. Having the team they have, they're almost oweing the world a WC, IMHO

It's absolutely embarrassing that, with the riches of talent the country produced, they've failed to even nab a Copa America. So you definitely have a point there.

I've been watching since 1978, and my best guess is mediocre defenders and lousy coaches. I just don't see them losing their status as a top team while you still have talent like they have. But you do need to win.

Winning a World Cup is HARD. I can't believe I lived to see win the two we have.

MmP
07-01-2011, 06:48 PM
It's different for Germany I think I don't mean it logically, but it's something I feel towards Argentina. They probably one of the most talented and admired teams in the world. But failing repeatly has a price. Of course they won't be out of the elite list but as I said they need to win. It's something that is obvious, it's the back of every argentinean mind. They know it...

As I recall argentina has not reached a SM in 18 years. QF are the best they got and its way down to what they can accomplish...

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:51 PM
No doubt... And considering the talent, the frustration is bigger. We weren't this stacked in '78. Heck, arguably we weren't this stacked in '86 or '90.

They need to start with baby steps. Winning this cup would be a good start. Not winning would be pretty bad, IMO.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM
lol Diego Torres

DAF86
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
It's different for Germany I think I don't mean it logically, but it's something I feel towards Argentina. They probably one of the most talented and admired teams in the world. But failing repeatly has a price. Of course they won't be out of the elite list but as I said they need to win. It's something that is obvious, it's the back of every argentinean mind. They know it...

As I recall argentina has not reached a SM in 18 years. QF are the best they got and its way down to what they can accomplish...

That sentence alone shows your bias on this argument. If you knock on Argentina for not winning a thing in 24 years, then you have to do the same with Germany. I think Spain has been past the quarters only twice in history, what should we say about them?

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
That was kinda lame... oh, well... 45 mins to the game

ElNono
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
lol Hugo Sanchez... bitter man rigth there

DAF86
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Hugo Sanchez=Pele in bitterness.

it's me
07-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Fucking annoying Mexican commentators..... where to find the game called by argentines? anybody knows?

ElNono
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Fucking annoying Mexican commentators..... where to find the game called by argentines? anybody knows?

Maybe here:
http://www.youtube.com/copaamerica

Not sure.

it's me
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
^ I'll try it.... THX

ElNono
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry, looks like that broadcast is in English

ElNono
07-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm prognosticating Argentina wins 16-1 :lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 07:35 PM
That YouTube feed looks great

Sense
07-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Lets see how much "better" Argentina is than Mexico :P

Even if it's practice for them

ElNono
07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
lol... Bolivia >>>>>>>> Trinidad y los Vagos

Sense
07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow Bolivia's national anthem kinda reminded me of Mexico's in the beginning.. except this sounds much gayer..

it's me
07-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Lol Bolivia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Guadalupe... and all the islands of concacaf.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 07:48 PM
start the game already

Sense
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Wtf where's the time....

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Top left? on Telefutura. even though the announcers are fucking annoying

Sense
07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm watching it on Youtube

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
22 minutes in.

SAtown
07-01-2011, 08:22 PM
even though the announcers are fucking annoying

i never understood why they keep these two clowns. I wish we had a direct feed of the Televisa guys from Mexico, or if Azteca America would show the games instead.

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 08:25 PM
did Cambiasso just block his own shot that should have been a goal ....:wtf

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Fight fight fight

SAtown
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
did Cambiasso just block his own shot that should have been a goal ....:wtf

he's a great defender

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
They cry after every call.

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm prognosticating Argentina wins 16-1 :lol

Hmmm... this shit ain't happening... lmao

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:39 PM

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:40 PM
They stopped passing the ball... everybody wants to do their shit and Messi is the only guy that can get around 3 players..

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh, and Hugo Sanchez should go back to coaching, tbh

Sense
Hmmm... this shit ain't happening... lmao

Oh you were serious? :lol

ElNono
Oh you were serious? :lol

Sense
07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Oh, and Hugo Sanchez should go back to coaching, tbh

He is a hoooooooorrible commentator.. no doubt, but.. he's right most of the time, he's just so boring and dull..

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
lol Batista "Argentina will play like Barcelona" :lmao

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Sons it's all good Bolivia >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Guadalope no shame in drawing. :lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:45 PM
A draw would be terrible...

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Argentina gonna drop like 3 in the second half tbh

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I expect some half-ass goal in offside and a totally undeserved 1-0 win... :lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
People are going to shit on Messi, but he had a hand in everything we did in the 1st half

ElNono
07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
BTW, the pitch is awful!!

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
People are going to shit on Messi, but he had a hand in everything we did in the 1st half

Par the course. He always has to do everything.

SAtown
07-01-2011, 08:59 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

IronMaxipad
Holy shit :lmao

ElNono
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
lol defense

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
lmao argentina

fuckin missed the goal cus of my gay ass internet spikes

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Was that an own goal? Looked like he heel tapped that shit. :lmao

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Well... your prediction is getting there :lmao

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:02 PM
All part of the plan sons, Now Argentina will drop 16

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
omfg. great job ever, you shitbag.

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
why the fuck is this Rojo clown playing who the fuck is this guy???

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:05 PM
How's that draw looking now? :lol

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Lot of average players out there. Argentina could use a Gio type player right about now. :lol

ALVAREZ6
...OMFG again! is Lavezzi capable of crossing the ball?

Sense
Lot of average players out there. Argentina could use a Gio type player right about now. :lol

that Lavezzi guy looks horrible

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 09:12 PM
di maria is a faggot

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 09:16 PM

that Lavezzi guy looks horrible

I'm actually a fan of Lavezzi, he's got some serious pace but he is sucking cock tonight for sure.

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:17 PM
:lmao what a dumbass

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow.. that guy fucked up a possible 2-0 scenerio

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Man fuck telefutura with these pointless replays wtf

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Here comes to goal

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:24 PM
What happened to ElNono? He was posting quite a lot before the 1-0 :lol

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
There it is sons

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Great goal by Aguero...

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:28 PM
dat was a great chest pass tbh

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2011, 09:28 PM
KKKKKKKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN N my fuckin nigga Sergio is a fucking bossman

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:29 PM
KKKKKKKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN N my fuckin nigga Sergio is a fucking bossman

You're not being loyal right now... WHAT ABOUT AMERICA!? :lol

SAtown
07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Di Maria is terrible. They should favor Milito

MannyIsGod
07-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Sick fucking goal.

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:35 PM
:wow dat was close

SAtown
Bolivia doesn't want to win.

Sense
Aw that had potential

SAtown
07-01-2011, 09:36 PM
You're not being loyal right now... WHAT ABOUT AMERICA!? :lol

SAtown
07-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Wow, playing it in the box without anyone flopping for a pk? Impressive Argentina

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Awesome pass by Messi

IronMaxipad
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Look at that dive. :lol

SAtown
07-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Bolivia is too hard:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110217001626/callofduty/images/d/d9/FUUUU.jpg

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
aaaaaand Bolivia wins !!!!! 1-1

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
What happened to ElNono? He was posting quite a lot before the 1-0 :lol

lol, I'm trying to watch this game :cry :cry :cry

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Was off only by 15, tbh

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
What did I tell you? This team has no defense, and it's all Messi

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
and fucking Batista is another cokehead

SAtown
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Sick ass goal by the Kun tho

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Wow, playing it in the box without anyone flopping for a pk? Impressive Argentina

:cry :cry :cry

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
lol wasting 70 mins with Lavezzi
lol Kun >>>>> Lavezzi
lol Higuain watching from the bench
lol Guadaloupe >>>>>>>>>>>> Argentina

Sense
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
tbh... we're probably going to be crying on the 4th as well... but at least we don't have a real team :lol

SAtown
07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Lol Bolivia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Guadalupe... and all the islands of concacaf. :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
On the other hand, last time we played Bolivia we lost 6-1... so this is definitely an improvement... :lol

ElNono
07-01-2011, 09:55 PM
tbh, I can't believe the goal that number 9 from Bolivia missed... should've been down 2-0 then