PDA

View Full Version : 2001-2008 KG or Duncan

daspurs
06-02-2011, 12:07 AM
In those years who would you say was a better overall player ? I say KG . Dude was slept on for a little bit in Minny too.

GoodOdor
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Honestly, there is no reason to believe KG couldn't have done what Duncan did, had he had the same teams around him.

daspurs
06-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Honestly, there is no reason to believe KG couldn't have done what Duncan did, had he had the same teams around him.

No doubt.

DAF86
06-02-2011, 12:18 AM

He didn't have the dominance inside that Duncan had, specially on the offensive side, that makes a big difference IMO. Still a great player though.

GoodOdor
06-02-2011, 12:22 AM
He didn't have the dominance inside that Duncan had, specially on the offensive side, that makes a big difference IMO. Still a great player though.

Tbh I don't think someone who thinks manu>dirk is qualified to post here.

Get back upstairs please.

phyzik
06-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Duncan > KG...

There is no comparison.... At all... None....

All you have to do is look at 2003.... Duncan had NO ONE and carried that team to a 'ship.

Garnett? He folded.

Duncan is going to be remembered as the ultimate true sportsman....

Garnett is going to be remembered for his trash talk to guys 1ft smaller than him and backing away when they stepped up to his bitch ass...

I mean, come on, Matt fucking Bonner punked his ass out....

DJ Mbenga
06-02-2011, 12:33 AM
kg was a rich mans rasheed wallace. didnt post up like duncan did, but was as much of a beast defensively.

skut_farkus
06-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Garnett better than duncan? :lol garnett doesnt have the class to hold timmys classy jockstrap, thats a 4 time champion compared to a 1 time :lmao

4>1
:flag:

Nathan89
06-02-2011, 12:34 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/images/smilies/clueless.gif

Tim Duncan career playoff averages-22.7ppg,12.4rpg,2.6bpg
Kevin-19.6ppg,11.1rpg,1.4bpg

Duncan was the better than Kg at defense and offense. Only a fucking idiot would think a good jump-shooting could replicate what Tim did with surrounding talent.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Problem is:::the longer Duncan plays the more harm he does to his legacy. He's not pitiful yet, but, he's stalkin' it.

He should follow Daddy's lead & hang it up. He's just a check casher now.

pass1st
06-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, Duncan is a better teammate than KG. Duncan helps team chemistry and keeps everybody together. As an individual player I think KG was a little more versatile on offense but Duncan was a fair amount better on defense while being a better presence in the paint.

Nathan89
06-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Problem is:::the longer Duncan plays the more harm he does to his legacy. He's not pitiful yet, but, he's stalkin' it.

What Duncan does now doesn't change what he did in the past...uh uh... it's impossible to change the past.

TDMVPDPOY
06-02-2011, 12:49 AM
3 rings
b2b mvps, 03/04 he came runners up to KG for the mvp

ummm this comparison is fail...dont bring in excuses with the shit around KG, dude if you wanna earn max contracts that fck up ur teams payroll to do anything to add pieces, then you can only blame urself...

look at the career earnings of KG compared to TD, he benefited from the previous CBA agreement, 285m compared to td 185m....

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 12:54 AM
What Duncan does now doesn't change what he did in the past...uh uh... it's impossible to change the past.

True, it doesn't change it, but, it certainly sullies it.

If he were in a large market, they'd ride his ass outta town on a rail. & they'd be justified in their fervor.

If he had an ounce of self-respect left, he'd renounce that last year on his contract and take up the rocking chair year round instead of just November-April.

He looks ridiculous:::a grown black man with a fork stuck in his ass.

DAF86
06-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Tbh I don't think someone who thinks manu>dirk is qualified to post here.

Get back upstairs please.

Why do you adress me like if I care about what you have to say?

Jacob1983
06-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Comparing a jump shooter with an average inside game to a dominant PF with an excellent inside game and a good mid range game? Really?

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 01:02 AM
GoodOdor is right, DAF. Manure, like Duncan has hung around too long. Now he looks positively silly out there trying to bait players & referees into his comedic routines. It's pitiful. Last year he broke his nose. This year he twisted his arm & sat on his ass.

He used to be something special. Now he's just a check casher, like Duncan.

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Duncan > KG...

There is no comparison.... At all... None....

All you have to do is look at 2003.... Duncan had NO ONE and carried that team to a 'ship.

Garnett? He folded.

Duncan is going to be remembered as the ultimate true sportsman....

Garnett is going to be remembered for his trash talk to guys 1ft smaller than him and backing away when they stepped up to his bitch ass...

I mean, come on, Matt fucking Bonner punked his ass out....
Only part that raises a question mark. How did 2003 have no one?

60 win team. Only 06 and 11 had more wins and neither won title
Tony Parker
Bruce Bowen
Stephen Jackson
David Robinson
Malik Rose
Manu Ginobili
Steve Smith
Claxton/Kerr
Willis

2003 TWolves, won 51 games
Wally
Troy Hudson
Rasho Nesterovic
Anthony Peeler
Kendell Gill
Joe Smith
Rod Strickland

That's like a quality team Kobe would miss the playoffs with

mystargtr34
06-02-2011, 01:35 AM
KG has become slightly under rated IMO even after winning a championship ... He did things during his prime that really no other player did in history in terms of scoring rebounding passing playing all world defense.. but at the end of the day Duncan will be compared to guys like Hakeem and Shaq while Garnett will be compared to Malone and Barkley.

FkLA
06-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Only part that raises a question mark. How did 2003 have no one?

60 win team. Only 06 and 11 had more and neither won title
Tony Parker
Bruce Bowen
Stephen Jackson
David Robinson
Malik Rose
Manu Ginobili
Steve Smith
Claxton/Kerr
Willis

the
2003 TWolves, won 51 games
Wally
Troy Hudson
Rasho Nesterovic
Anthony Peeler
Kendell Gill
Joe Smith
Rod Strickland

That's like a quality team Kobe would miss the playoffs win

thats like saying the old jailblazers were stacked in the early 00s because they had guys like zbo, jermaine oneal, pippen, etc on top of their main guys like sheed...those niggas werent ready yet or were over the hill. much like manu (rookie), sjax (practically a rookie), parker (soph), and robinson (last yr). that team was all timvp tbh, nigga carried the spurs on his back like the greatest PF of all time should.

kg vs dirk diggler would be a closer comparison

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 01:52 AM
KG has become slightly under rated IMO even after winning a championship ... He did things during his prime that really no other player did in history in terms of scoring rebounding passing playing all world defense.. but at the end of the day Duncan will be compared to guys like Hakeem and Shaq while Garnett will be compared to Malone and Barkley.
Duncan & Hakeem created SA/Houston
Shaq went to LA and within 6 years had 3 rings

KG left Minnesota with no Finals appearances. And at the of the day he couldn't overcome refs/injuries to win 2010. That would have put him equal to Hakeem in many eyes

FkLA
06-02-2011, 01:56 AM

Kobe aint far behind Cubby. He aint getting a free pass, nuh uh. Not on my watch.

He needed Ron Ron and co. to bail him out of 6-24 and followed that up with The Skunker. Youve no room.

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I would take Duncan over KG any day of the week that ends in Y....

You never once heard Tim Duncan punching other teammates during practice, Tim Duncan didn't try to cuss out his opponents either...the dude set an example with his actions on the court.

Even though I'm a Mavericks fan, Tim Duncan is the NBA player I have the most respect for. When the Spurs were winning those championships in the early to mid 2000's, it didn't bother me much. Why? Because I knew the player that was leading those championship teams was a pure class act.

Real talk..troll face off.

Anyone who chooses KG over Tim is fucking retarded.

BRHornet45
06-02-2011, 02:09 AM
KG

hands down

Duncan was just blessed to be on stacked teams

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:12 AM
KG

hands down

Come on son, if those Timeberwolves teams of the early to mid 2000's had Duncan instead of KG, I'm pretty sure that just Duncan's presence alone would have been enough to at least get them to the finals.

KG might have had the better statistics, but when you think of Duncan today...it's usually when people are discussing the subject of "Who is the best PF of all time?"

Amaso
06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
lol

Duncan is better than KG, not even a comparison. KG is in the 25-30ish range of greatest players of all-time, Duncan is an easy top 10.

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 02:19 AM
lol

Duncan is better than KG, not even a comparison. KG is in the 25-30ish range of greatest players of all-time, Duncan is an easy top 10.
Whoa there. KG's passing and most importantly defense is still superior to Duncan's. Garnett is one of the greatest post defenders ever

Where do you have David Robinson because KG ranks above him.

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:19 AM
lol

I would say top 5

FkLA
06-02-2011, 02:23 AM
kg is one of the most versatile defenders ever but his post d wasnt on par with timmy's, hes always been too skinny

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 02:25 AM
KG

hands down

What else did we expect your hating ass to say there! I knew you would be in here and just say that.

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 02:27 AM
lol

I agree, fuck any motherfucker who says otherwise! Tim is near top 10 all times, KG IS NOT! PERIOD.

Muse
Garnett might have more range when playing defense, however the main defensive task of a PF/C is to guard the paint, and I can honestly say that I have never seen a better player defend the paint better than Duncan.

KG still trails Duncan with 11 ALL-NBA Defensive teams compared to Duncan's 13 ALL NBA Defensive team selections.

NewcastleKEG
kg is one of the most versatile defenders ever but his post d wasnt on par with timmy's, hes always been too skinny
KG - DPOY, 9x 1st All Defense, 2x 2nd All Defense

Duncan - 8x 1st All Defense, 5x 2nd All Defense

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Garnett might have more range when playing defense, however the main defensive task of a PF/C is to guard the paint, and I can honestly say that I have never seen a better player defend the paint better than Duncan.

KG still trails Duncan with 11 ALL-NBA Defensive teams compared to Duncan's 13 ALL NBA Defensive team selections.
No DPOY award though?

That's like the whole current James defense hype. Where's the DPOY award?

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM

You're talking as if KG is light years ahead of Duncan in terms of playing defense :lol

I'd take Duncan, a player that knows how to lead teams and win championships...rather than a shit talker that had to go chase a ring with another team.

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 02:32 AM
No DPOY award though?

Get real Bowen never won a DPOY, but we know he deserved it atleast once! You know it and I know it so DPOY means shit to me at times.

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:32 AM
No DPOY award though?

You're fucking retarded

Mutombo also won a DPOY, does that make him better than Duncan?

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 02:35 AM
You're fucking retarded

Mutombo also won a DPOY, does that make him better than Duncan?
At playing defense - YES

KG better defender. Kinda unfair but people will always remember him on these Boston teams and being the man in the middle

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 02:38 AM
At playing defense - YES

KG better defender. Kinda unfair but people will always remember him on these Boston teams and being the man in the middle

Duncan is better than KG all times, thats all I gotta say there, period! Most know that.......... Motumbo okay if you say so, he was a great defender yes and a shot blocker, but come on man he was better than KG then at D if he was better than TIMMAY.

BTW like I said where was BOWENS DPOY award for those years? DOES NO MEAN he did not deserve it.

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:39 AM
At playing defense - YES

:rollin:rollin

Mutombo played 20 seasons in the NBA and only made the ALL NBA defensive teams 6 times

Duncan has played 13 seasons and has been on 13 ALL NBA Defensive teams

Do you still think Mutombo > Duncan at defense?

:rollin

100%duncan
06-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Comparing a jump shooter with an average inside game to a dominant PF with an excellent inside game and a good mid range game? Really?

This, fuck the TD haters

TDMVPDPOY
06-02-2011, 02:40 AM
comparing dpoy and all defensive team selections.....lol some players have no business winning them awards and appearing on them list aka kobe playin on rep again since his first nomination

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 02:41 AM
This, fuck the TD haters

Yep, like I said TIM best PF ever, fuck these haters now, he is older now so they talk! In his prime nobody talked but now he has slowed down some so they talk!

TIMMAY = LEGEND AND TOP 10 of all times.
comparing dpoy and all defensive team selections.....lol some players have no business winning them awards and appearing on them list aka kobe playin on rep again since his first nomination

OH KOBE is one of the most overrated defenders ever, and I agree it's rep! He is so overrated there it's rediculous.

100%duncan
06-02-2011, 02:48 AM
:lol NewcastleKEG saying chicago will prevail to be champs, :lol grey named SOB, :lol choosing KG over Duncan, you might wanna call BR he's got a free room for 1 more sucker

100%duncan
06-02-2011, 02:50 AM

4>1
2 consecutive nba mvp
3 finals mvp
and that stats of yours fucking backfires bitch

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:51 AM
:lol: @ NewcastleKEG

Jacob1983
06-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Shouldn't Duncan's dominant inside presence basically end this debate?

100%duncan
06-02-2011, 03:14 AM

stupid people make this longer

mystargtr34
06-02-2011, 05:18 AM
I still havent figured out whether NewcastleKEG is a troll or just retarded.

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 05:27 AM
The reading comprehansion on this forum is poor. Where did I ever say KG is better than Duncan? I said he's better than Robinson and YES defensively KG is superior to Duncan.

Read the 1st page noobs

NewcastleKEG
06-02-2011, 05:28 AM
4>1
2 consecutive nba mvp
3 finals mvp
and that stats of yours fucking backfires bitch
Okay and none of that has to do with our defense debate. Tim is the superior player, as he is the Greatest PF of All Time BUT KG is a superior post player in his career. Not a big margin but he is

LkrFan
06-02-2011, 05:29 AM
KG

hands down

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Kobe aint far behind Cubby. He aint getting a free pass, nuh uh. Not on my watch.

He needed Ron Ron and co. to bail him out of 6-24 and followed that up with The Skunker. Youve no room.

The Skunker!!!

100%duncan
06-02-2011, 07:11 AM
:lol haters gonna hate

ambchang
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
What's with Laker fans and early 00's revisionist history? I mean, it's fun troll bait and all, but after a while, doens't it get boring?

DMC
06-02-2011, 08:39 AM

A check casher who commands a double team.

hater
06-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Duncan hands down behind the back blind folded

Killakobe81
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Duncan is better I agree, but those that say he is better on defense ...not so sure. both were two of the better defenders of their era, but KG could guard guys that Tim duncan either could not or the coaches did not trust to guard. Although skinny KG could guard pretty much most of the bigger guys Tim guarded, but was not a liabilty when sitche don to smaller, quicker players. Even at his advanced age KG is still better at this and the gap has gotten larger.

Offensively to me, especially in the post, is where Tim "outclasses" KG. His bankshot in his prime was a thing of beauty, his passing game (though not as good as KG's), improved mightily over the years and I would say not far behind. He was one of the best paint/rim protectors I have ever seen ...despite his limited athletic gifts. And he made more funny half-hooks and runners in the lane then any bigman, primarily because he was not a freak like shaq or had the grace of hakeem. He maxed out his potential because you can see the time he spent honing Magic/Bird/MJ era ...unlike many on here I give him a slight edge on shaq, and slightly behind Hakeem as far as individiual greatness.
But 4>2 ... LOL

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
A check casher who commands a double team.

That was before he took up the tired old shit bag.

JamStone
06-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Maybe, but maybe not, at least as it applies to offense.

In his prime, is Elton Brand a better power forward than Dirk Nowitzki because Elton would dominate inside the paint? If you score 2 points, it's 2 points whether it's a slam dunk or a 19 foot jumper. You don't get extra bonus points for scoring in the post.

I do agree with most here that Duncan's low post presence at both ends is probably one of the distinctions that go in Duncan's favor. KG's defensive versatility was great but it's not necessarily what you need from your PF. Duncan stayed in the paint on defense, guarded the post, and defended the rim. KG wasn't a slouch at any of those things, but he wasn't as good as Duncan.

It's probably really close between the two from 2001-08. The championships will skew most people's opinion. As far as individual talent goes, the argument is there for KG. KG was much more of a freak athlete and had better perimeter skill that made him uniquely great as a 7 foot PF. On talent alone, there's a case for KG. But in sports, results matter. Winning matters.

I was a bigger fan of KG than Duncan over the last decade, but I'd take Duncan over KG 9 times out of 10 on my team, knowing they'd have a better chance to win.

Killakobe81
06-02-2011, 11:09 AM

In his prime, is Elton Brand a better power forward than Dirk Nowitzki because Elton would dominate inside the paint? If you score 2 points, it's 2 points whether it's a slam dunk or a 19 foot jumper. You don't get extra bonus points for scoring in the post.

I do agree with most here that Duncan's low post presence at both ends is probably one of the distinctions that go in Duncan's favor. KG's defensive versatility was great but it's not necessarily what you need from your PF. Duncan stayed in the paint on defense, guarded the post, and defended the rim. KG wasn't a slouch at any of those things, but he wasn't as good as Duncan.

It's probably really close between the two from 2001-08. The championships will skew most people's opinion. As far as individual talent goes, the argument is there for KG. KG was much more of a freak athlete and had better perimeter skill that made him uniquely great as a 7 foot PF. On talent alone, there's a case for KG. But in sports, results matter. Winning matters.

I was a bigger fan of KG than Duncan over the last decade, but I'd take Duncan over KG 9 times out of 10 on my team, knowing they'd have a better chance to win.

Agree and agree.
One thing though yes protecting the paint is more vital since that is where most high % shots come from. But the NBA is a heavy iso and pnr league and KG's ability to show hard and recover ... maybe the best in the NBA over the past 15-20. Plus his ability to switch and be a credible defender in isolation makes him extremly valuable in today's NBA. two of the best PF defenders in NBA history but both did things differently. KG's game despite a serious injury has "aged better" and although KG may not catch him in rings KG's career numbers will probably eclipse Tim's except maybe in PER or win shares ...

It will be a very interesting debate if KG puts up similar numbers the next few years and duncan's declines or stays where it is now. But like you say because of his post game and the rings especially for me, it's tim.

Muser
06-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Duncan, but KG was a monster in his prime. Too bad for him he stayed on those shitty Minny teams for so long.

Leetonidas
06-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Garnett was a more versatile defender while Duncan was a better defensive anchor. Garnett was a better midrange shooter while Duncan was a much better post player.

Duncan > Garnett

A better thread is "Garnett > Dirk??" honestly

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
People are seriously discussing this??? :lmao

Duncan >>>>> KG

Always and forever...

JamStone
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Duncan > KG

But the gap between the two in their primes is not nearly as big as many Spurs fans think. They are two different types of players, so the comparison gets skewed by the opinion of what style of play is better. Effectiveness isn't dependent on style. The way Dirk plays as a PF is a testament to that.

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Duncan > KG

But the gap between the two in their primes is not nearly as big as many Spurs fans think. They are two different types of players, so the comparison gets skewed by the opinion of what style of play is better. Effectiveness isn't dependent on style. The way Dirk plays as a PF is a testament to that.

What if KG went to the Spurs in 2004 to replace DRob??? More 'ships for San Antonio???

jjktkk
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM

If all things being equal, the championships can be the deciding factor, which applies in this case.

jsandiego
06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Shouldn't this be more of a DRob vs. KG debate? Both won MVPs and led their teams to #1 seeds, but didn't win titles until they became 2nd or 3rd banana, where their defense was their primary asset.

DRob was a bigger winner as the #1 guy, and 2>1 titles over KG when they were 2nd/3rd banana.

I take Dave, and I love Dave. But light years ahead of that is Duncan.

Duncan>>>>DRob>KG

Findog
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
In those years who would you say was a better overall player ? I say KG . Dude was slept on for a little bit in Minny too.

Nope. You could never and you would never run your offense through KG in crunch time the way you could with Duncan.

JamStone
06-02-2011, 01:51 PM
If all things being equal, the championships can be the deciding factor, which applies in this case.

Sure. But that wasn't my point. I also chose Duncan over KG. And the championships are a factor. But I think the championships have skewed the perception that the gap is much wider than it actually is. As individual players, they are very comparable in terms of production.

And this has been talked about before on these boards. While you can give an individual some credit for winning championships, certainly when they are the main guy and Finals MVPs of most of those championships, titles are still mostly a team accomplishment that requires more than just one individual being great. And that goes even for Duncan in 2003, Jordan, Hakeem, or other examples where one individual player was by far the most important piece. Winning it all still required help from teammates.

As I said, Duncan > KG. I just disagree that it's not even a debatable topic. KG in his prime was one of the most uniquely great players this league has ever seen. And there are things KG was able to do that Duncan could not. Vice versa obviously. It's a better debate than some people might lead you to believe.

ambchang
06-02-2011, 01:52 PM
FWIW:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=garneke01&p2=duncati01

Head to heads show they are pretty much dead even over their careers.

Also, when comparing the career stats, note that Duncan has played on the Spurs, which has predominantly been a slower-paced, lower scoring team than any team Garnett was on.

Duncan has demonstrated that he is easier to build around, as his ability to score in the low post in such a varied way relieved a lot of stress in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, Garnett was great, but the general consensus is that Duncan is a top 10 all-time NBA player, while Garnett isn't. On top of that, both pretty much had their peaks around 01 to 08. Basic logic flows that Duncan > Garnett.

Josepatches_
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
, but I'd take Duncan over KG 9 times out of 10 on my team, knowing they'd have a better chance to win.

enough said.

Jacob1983
06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Dirk's never had the help that KG has had. The help I'm talking about is from the years KG has played with the Celtics.