PDA

View Full Version : John Hollinger thinks the Heat's win was a fluke

Muse
06-02-2011, 01:46 AM
It was a nice start for the Heat, and between their 1-0 lead and their home-court advantage, they're certainly in a strong position. But let's not start the coronation just yet.

Here's the thing: Dallas didn't play that badly. In fact, if you're sifting through the wreckage for positive takeaways from Game 1, you can find a lot to like.

If you just pick out two lines from the box score -- 3-point shooting and bench scoring -- you'd think Dallas lost by 40. The Heat's much-maligned bench outscored Dallas' vaunted unit 27-17, the first time all season the Miami subs were plus-10 against an opponent. Obviously, if that advantage holds up, the Mavs are dead ducks, but we have little reason to believe it will.

Similarly, Miami shot 11-of-24 on 3-pointers while Dallas was 9-of-22. And in this case, it was the players taking them that are the real exclamation point. LeBron James (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1966/lebron-james) shot 4-of-5 on 3s and Dwyane Wade (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1987/dwyane-wade) shot 2-of-4; those are generally shots you want the Heat's superstars to take. Two of them, in particular, were unlikely -- a crazy fadeaway by James to end the third quarter, and a contested, off the dribble triple by Wade over Jason Kidd (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/429/jason-kidd) in the fourth.

But by and large, the Heat were taking shots Dallas wanted them to take. Miami had only 28 points in the paint, and the only reason it was that high was because of its 16 offensive rebounds.

The fact that those tough Heat shots went in can throw off your perspective on the game. Instead, take a step back and look at the questions Dallas had entering the series. Most of them had positive answers in Game 1:

Would the Mavs be able to play Jason Terry (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/841/jason-terry)? Yes. He played 33 minutes, and at no time were you thinking, "This is a horrible defensive mismatch, they've gotta get Terry out of there." Terry, in fact, was the only Dallas player to avoid a negative plus/minus; he finished dead even.

While Mavs coach Rick Carlisle alluded postgame to the need to play zone because of some challenging defensive matchups, and the role that may have played in Miami's 16 offensive rebounds, there were only a couple of occasions when the Heat found Wade with a mismatch against Terry. Wade, whom some Miami scribes suspect is not right physically, also had trouble beating Kidd off the dribble.

Between the defense of James on Terry and some cold shooting that he supplied all by himself, the Dallas guard didn't have one of his better games -- 3-of-10 shooting, one assist. But he'll have better ones. The fact that Dallas could keep him on the floor so long is a very encouraging sign.

Would the Mavs' starters be able to compete? Yes. Coming into this series I was worried that Dallas' starters -- who have a negative plus/minus this postseason, despite the team's overall success -- would mount nightly deficits against a Heat five-man unit that has performed very well. But in Game 1, Dallas' starting five posted a respectable minus-2 plus/minus in their 9½ minutes together on the court. That isn't great, but since the Mavs' bench should have the advantage on most nights, it is enough for the Mavs to win.

Would Miami shut down Dirk? No. Nowitzki mostly did as he pleased, scoring 27 points on 18 shots and committing only two turnovers. While he was only 7-of-18 from the floor, he earned 12 free throw attempts and made all of them. Plus, as usual, he drew swarms of defensive attention, which created space for Dallas' other shooters.

By the way, it looks like Nowitzki's torn tendon in the middle finger of his left (non-shooting) hand won't be a major problem. I did some research, and this is a pretty rare injury for basketball players, but others have been able to play through it. Clippers guard Eric Gordon (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3431/eric-gordon) tore a tendon in the ring finger of his right (shooting) hand in January and kept playing, albeit not for long -- a different injury knocked him out a couple of days later. In the more distant past, Portland guard Brandon Roy (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3027/brandon-roy) suffered a similar injury against Dallas in December 2008 on his shooting hand -- and was so affected that he scored a career-high 52 points against Phoenix four days later. Nowitzki's injury isn't good news, obviously, but I don't think it makes Dallas' outlook dramatically worse.

So if all three of those questions had positive answers, what happened?

Well, a lot of the difference was simply Dallas' clanging shots it usually makes. The Mavs were just 16-of-45 on 2s; in particular, Miami's defense seemed to erase those clean forays down the lane for J.J. Barea (added bonus for Miamians: If Barea keeps struggling like this, there's a chance Zuleyka Rivera becomes available).

But you can also run through a highlight reel of makeable shots that the Mavs simply missed, with Brendan Haywood's rim-check dunk attempt topping the list. Dallas' scorching four-man bench unit of Terry, Barea, Haywood and Peja Stojakovic (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/813/peja-stojakovic) shot 4-for-22 in Game 1, and again, most of their looks were quality attempts.

As for the 3-point differentials, two questions legitimately can be asked. First, the Mavs gave up way too many corner 3s, the easiest kind, and that's a formula for defeat if it continues. Miami had an 11-7 edge in corner 3 attempts and an 8-2 advantage in corner 2s; even the likes of James and Wade become potent threats if their 3s are coming from the corners. Included was one particularly egregious blown rotation where LeBron had time to take a comfort dribble, check his email, and compose a sonnet about the crab dribble before firing away.

Second, one wonders if the clock has struck midnight for Peja. He was brutal, missing all three 3-point attempts despite little resistance on each, face-planting on an attempted dribble drive and committing three fouls in 14 minutes.

Nonetheless, all the big-picture takeaways from the opener have to leave Dallas feeling fairly comfortable. By and large, the Mavs were able to play their game on Tuesday; they just happened to play it badly, and the Heat got some unlikely shots to go in.

We don't know if those situations will play out the same in Game 2, obviously, but what we can say for certain is that Miami's Game 1 win was built on advantages in areas like 3-point shooting, offensive rebounding and bench points that the Heat are highly unlikely to sustain throughout the series. All told, there are far worse ways to go down 1-0.
Mavs in 6 :lobt:

DJ Mbenga
06-02-2011, 01:47 AM
interesting coming from a heat homer. his stats must be telling him something

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 02:30 AM
LOL at relying on Hollinger for shit! PERIOD.

Baseline
06-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Did Mark Cuban ghostwrite this article?

This is like saying, "Yeah, we lost. But we're better looking than those guys. So there."

DMC
06-02-2011, 08:46 AM
There's no statistical reference for choking.

redskinfan
06-02-2011, 08:50 AM
If my Aunt Minnie had balls she would be my Uncle Manny!

said7
06-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I guess he hasn't seen Miami's defense. Force Dirk baseline, series over...

stretch
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
funny how dumbasses like DPG said I had a total homer take on the game, whereas a known hater of the Mavs in Hollinger had basically identical takes to mine.

DPG, teabagged again

Ace
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Every gleam of hope...

Brazil
06-02-2011, 09:45 AM
mavs in 6 tbh

ClipshowDynasty
06-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Dpg wrong
bout
dem
mavs

DPG21920
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
funny how dumbasses like DPG said I had a total homer take on the game, whereas a known hater of the Mavs in Hollinger had basically identical takes to mine.

DPG, teabagged again

It was a homer take. Many more pundits agree with me than you. Saying Dallas defended better than MIA is a shit take and nowhere did hollinger agree with you on that.

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Hollinger is a moron, but the Mavs will win the series in 6.

Greg Oden
06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Why don't you tell us to book it?

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Why don't you tell us to book it?

Already did, brah...try to keep up.

Greg Oden
06-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Maybe after you change you prediction for the 8th time you can tell us to book that one too, dumbass.

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe after you change you prediction for the 8th time you can tell us to book that one too, dumbass.

Like I booked your mom last night? :lol

stretch
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
It was a homer take. Many more pundits agree with me than you. Saying Dallas defended better than MIA is a shit take and nowhere did hollinger agree with you on that.

Oh, he didn't?

By and large, the Mavs were able to play their game on Tuesday; they just happened to play it badly, and the Heat got some unlikely shots to go in.

But by and large, the Heat were taking shots Dallas wanted them to take. Miami had only 28 points in the paint, and the only reason it was that high was because of its 16 offensive rebounds.

Well, a lot of the difference was simply Dallas' clanging shots it usually makes.

But you can also run through a highlight reel of makeable shots that the Mavs simply missed, with Brendan Haywood's rim-check dunk attempt topping the list. Dallas' scorching four-man bench unit of Terry, Barea, Haywood and Peja Stojakovic shot 4-for-22 in Game 1, and again, most of their looks were quality attempts.

So he didn't say the exact words "Dallas defended Miami better than Miami defended Dallas", but its pretty obvious that is what he was saying throughout the article. I apologize for your inability to read and comprehend anything beneath the surface. :dizzy

Bill_Brasky
06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
So the mavs played a good game and still lost.

stretch
06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
So the mavs played a good game and still lost.

The Heat played a better game and won.

DPG21920
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
If you truly think Dallas defended better than Miami, I don't know what to tell you. That doesn't mean they were bad, it just means they weren't any better than MIA.

Isitjustme?
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Mavs defended better than the Heat imo

Findog
06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
It's true that the Mavs forced Miami to take the shots that they wanted them to take, they just made them. What else can you do when LeBron is tossing up an off-balance fadeaway three that goes in right before the third quarter buzzer? That was worth one possession.

Bill_Brasky
06-02-2011, 01:06 PM
It's true that the Mavs forced Miami to take the shots that they wanted them to take, they just made them. What else can you do when LeBron is tossing up an off-balance fadeaway three that goes in right before the third quarter buzzer? That was worth one possession.

He's been doing shit like that throught the entire playoffs now. I honestly wasn't surprised to see that shot go in and barely touch any net in the process.

Findog
06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
He's been doing shit like that throught the entire playoffs now. I honestly wasn't surprised to see that shot go in and barely touch any net in the process.

Scary thing is that Wade and LeBron were kinda pedestrian by their standards. A lot of things went right for the Mavs in Game 1 and the Heat still iced this in the final four minutes.

stretch
06-02-2011, 01:08 PM

DPG obviously is too ignorant to understand that the Mavs entire defensive gameplan was to allow Miami to shoot long jumpers all they want, and keep them out of the paint. Dallas did a damn good job of that, while on the other end, they were able to get a lot of good looks and shots they normally make. When Miami realized they were not having a good shooting night, it allowed them to close down on Dirk more and take more gambles defensively.

While Miami does a solid job of closing out on shooters, I noticed though, they have a definite weakness with their rotations, in that they allow a lot of space for dive cuts. Marion had quite a few, and could have had a lot more. Terry and Chandler both need to look for dive cuts as well. The shooters need to pump and either step in for a closer shot, or look for the dive cutter.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't think either team was clear-cut better defensively than the other in Game 1. They both played great D, Miami just hit a few more shots. Also doesn't hurt when you have 2 guys who can force the action and get to the line when shots aren't falling. Dallas only has one, and that's what's ultimately going to decide this series.

Findog
06-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't think either team was clear-cut better defensively than the other in Game 1. They both played great D, Miami just hit a few more shots. Also doesn't hurt when you have 2 guys who can force the action and get to the line when shots aren't falling. Dallas only has one, and that's what's ultimately going to decide this series.

Yeah, this is the series that we're finally going to miss Butler. Not that he's on Wade or Bron's level, but to have another good scoring option, plus he's a decent defender. I think Peja is useless in this series.

Bill_Brasky
06-02-2011, 01:18 PM
DPG obviously is too ignorant to understand that the Mavs entire defensive gameplan was to allow Miami to shoot long jumpers all they want, and keep them out of the paint. Dallas did a damn good job of that, while on the other end, they were able to get a lot of good looks and shots they normally make. When Miami realized they were not having a good shooting night, it allowed them to close down on Dirk more and take more gambles defensively.

While Miami does a solid job of closing out on shooters, I noticed though, they have a definite weakness with their rotations, in that they allow a lot of space for dive cuts. Marion had quite a few, and could have had a lot more. Terry and Chandler both need to look for dive cuts as well. The shooters need to pump and either step in for a closer shot, or look for the dive cutter.

Tbh after Kidd hit a few 3's in the first quarter he never got another open look. Peja and Terry were off so Miami knew they could be a little more lazy with them.

Ace
06-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Both Wade and LeBron got a combined 7 FTAs, while Bosh had 12. They both need to be more aggressive and take advantage of that...

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, this is the series that we're finally going to miss Butler. Not that he's on Wade or Bron's level, but to have another good scoring option, plus he's a decent defender. I think Peja is useless in this series.

This is true. A few days ago someone asked whether bringing Butler back for this series would be good or hurt the team chemistry. As I said then, I don't see how it hurts to give him 8-12 minutes a game. He's their 2nd best option offensively when healthy, and Dallas needs all the guns they can get against this defense.

Peja is a massive liability on defense, but he also had a plethora of open looks that didn't go. If he's not knocking down his shots, he basically becomes Matt Bonner.

Findog
06-02-2011, 01:26 PM
This is true. A few days ago someone asked whether bringing Butler back for this series would be good or hurt the team chemistry. As I said then, I don't see how it hurts to give him 8-12 minutes a game. He's their 2nd best option offensively when healthy, and Dallas needs all the guns they can get against this defense.

Peja is a massive liability on defense, but he also had a plethora of open looks that didn't go. If he's not knocking down his shots, he basically becomes Matt Bonner.

You are right. I fail to see how giving Peja's minutes to Butler hurts us, unless conditioning wise he is incapable of playing that much. Peja is not a 40 minutes per game starter. Somehow against the Lakers he was a net plus since he was making his shots and he wasn't isolated against Kobe that much. But he didn't give us much against OKC and he's not giving us anything now. There is nobody to hide him against Miami on defense.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Both Wade and LeBron got a combined 7 FTAs, while Bosh had 12. They both need to be more aggressive and take advantage of that...

That was a statistical anomaly...one we're not going to see in any other game this series. Credit Dallas' defense for much of that, but I don't think we're gonna see anywhere close to 7 combined FTAs for the duo the rest of the series.

06-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Game 1 could have been a fluke. We will see soon enough.

stretch
06-02-2011, 02:15 PM

They probably could be more aggressive, but a lot of it was the zone was not allowing them to have any good driving lanes. On the other hand, Bosh should benefit from the zone, because of his shooting ability, and making baseline cuts to get in position for offensive rebounds.

But I definitely do think they will get more visits to the FT line than that, just probably not as much as they would normally expect to get.

Venti Quattro
06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Terry could be that guy next to Dirk but he is too inconsistent.

Findog
06-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Terry could be that guy next to Dirk but he is too inconsistent.

Dirk and Jet run a great two-man game in the 4th Quarter but they're up against Bron and Wade. There's not that much dropoff from LeBron to Dirk in terms of running your offense in crunchtime (yes I know Bron is a much more versatile all-around player), but there is a decisive gap between Wade and Terry.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
They probably could be more aggressive, but a lot of it was the zone was not allowing them to have any good driving lanes. On the other hand, Bosh should benefit from the zone, because of his shooting ability, and making baseline cuts to get in position for offensive rebounds.

But I definitely do think they will get more visits to the FT line than that, just probably not as much as they would normally expect to get.

This x100.

With the effectiveness of Dallas' zone, Chris Bosh provides the perfect zonebuster. I see him having a massive series the rest of the way.

Tiago Splitter
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
This x100.

With the effectiveness of Dallas' zone, Chris Bosh provides the perfect zonebuster. I see him having a massive series the rest of the way.
Still not a 100% sold on Bosh tbh. He's been great but for some reason I keep expecting him to regress...

stretch
06-02-2011, 03:08 PM
This x100.

If I were the Mavs, I would just let Dirk guard him, so they can't keep pulling Chandler out of the paint on defense. Bosh isn't exactly some monster scoring machine, or a guy who will consistently get you in foul trouble, I think Dirk can handle him alright. Either that, or Dirk needs to step up on the rebounds and do a better job of boxing Joel Anthony out.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Still not a 100% sold on Bosh tbh. He's been great but for some reason I keep expecting him to regress...

...once Noah opened his mouth it was over. Bosh has been on a rampage ever since.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM

From a statistical standpoint, he's stepped his game up (from reg season to playoffs) more than anyone else on the Heat. He's hit clutch baskets, had key rebounds, and has played "decent" defense.

This current matchup has his name written all over it. He can be automatic in the high post with that midrange J...it's all in how he's utilized and how aggressive he chooses to be. Game 1 he had 12 FTAs, so that's a good sign for Miami.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
If I were the Mavs, I would just let Dirk guard him, so they can't keep pulling Chandler out of the paint on defense. Bosh isn't exactly some monster scoring machine, or a guy who will consistently get you in foul trouble, I think Dirk can handle him alright. Either that, or Dirk needs to step up on the rebounds and do a better job of boxing Joel Anthony out.

Possibly...are you advocating going to a man-d or just playing some box-and-1, with Dirk on Bosh? tbh it would be funny to see Bosh as the focal point of the box and 1, rather than James or Wade:lol

Dirk's not the most physical guy in the world, and that's all Anthony's game is...so I'd rather see him guarding Bosh instead of fighting for boards.

stretch
06-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Possibly...are you advocating going to a man-d or just playing some box-and-1, with Dirk on Bosh? tbh it would be funny to see Bosh as the focal point of the box and 1, rather than James or Wade:lol

Dirk's not the most physical guy in the world, and that's all Anthony's game is...so I'd rather see him guarding Bosh instead of fighting for boards.

In the time they play man-d, which is usually what they play when they have the starting unit on the floor, Dirk should be on Bosh.

It's interesting to note how good of a job Stevenson has done in the time he spent defending d-wade this season. Wade has scored only like 5 or 6 points the entire time this season and postseason when Deshawn has been on him, with a pretty bad percentage.

Honestly, the Mavs IMO need to play more Stevenson in this series, and maybe a little less Terry. Stevenson just needs to be ready to knock some open 3s down like he did in G1, and the Mavs in general need to have Dirk work harder to open each half to get the Mavs off to a good start, and to try to draw some quick fouls on the opposition.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2011, 03:36 PM
In the time they play man-d, which is usually what they play when they have the starting unit on the floor, Dirk should be on Bosh.

It's interesting to note how good of a job Stevenson has done in the time he spent defending d-wade this season. Wade has scored only like 5 or 6 points the entire time this season and postseason when Deshawn has been on him, with a pretty bad percentage.

Honestly, the Mavs IMO need to play more Stevenson in this series, and maybe a little less Terry. Stevenson just needs to be ready to knock some open 3s down like he did in G1, and the Mavs in general need to have Dirk work harder to open each half to get the Mavs off to a good start, and to try to draw some quick fouls on the opposition.

I agree with Stevenson over Terry, especially if they gravitate more to man-defense, but he's gotta hit the open shot. As Game 1 showed, points are going to be at a premium in this series, so if he's cold than Carlisle's gotta put Terry in and switch back to zone.

With Stevenson, the Mavs have 4 pretty damn good defensive starters (with Dirk being the only mediocre/subpar defender), and offer a better perimeter D than anyone else Miami has faced thus far.

My only reservation with the man-d is that Miami is much more likely to get the individual defenders in foul trouble. The zone has already proven to be effective against Miami, so a variation of the box-and-1 (with Dirk on Bosh) could work--especially since it keeps Tyse in the paint.

Tiago Splitter
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
From a statistical standpoint, he's stepped his game up (from reg season to playoffs) more than anyone else on the Heat. He's hit clutch baskets, had key rebounds, and has played "decent" defense.

This current matchup has his name written all over it. He can be automatic in the high post with that midrange J...it's all in how he's utilized and how aggressive he chooses to be. Game 1 he had 12 FTAs, so that's a good sign for Miami.

I've been definitely shock at the level he is playing at so far but still keep expecting him to fold, just hoping I'm wrong there scrah...

stretch
06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree with Stevenson over Terry, especially if they gravitate more to man-defense, but he's gotta hit the open shot. As Game 1 showed, points are going to be at a premium in this series, so if he's cold than Carlisle's gotta put Terry in and switch back to zone.

With Stevenson, the Mavs have 4 pretty damn good defensive starters (with Dirk being the only mediocre/subpar defender), and offer a better perimeter D than anyone else Miami has faced thus far.

My only reservation with the man-d is that Miami is much more likely to get the individual defenders in foul trouble. The zone has already proven to be effective against Miami, so a variation of the box-and-1 (with Dirk on Bosh) could work--especially since it keeps Tyse in the paint.

I agree completely about foul trouble on man-d. There is still just no stopping Bron when he gets momentum, as evidenced when he got that and-1 dunk late in the game. I would honestly prefer that the Mavs play more zone, because its a proven weakness for the Miami offense, and just use man defense at select times to keep them guessing and not let them get in a rhythm against the zone.

DAF86
06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm not a Hollinger hater but the article is retarded, he's looking the glass half full from a Mavs perspective, I could take the same examples and make an analysis in favour of the Heat.

For example:

Are the Heat going to keep the three point battle close? The 11-24 3pt Fg of Miami against the 9-22 of Dallas indicates they will.

Would the Mavs' starters be able to compete? The 27-17 bench points difference in favour of the Heat prove they can.

Would Dallas shut own the big three? No, the big three mostly did as they pleased, scoring 65 pts with 28 rbs, 14 assts an 3 blks.

We can also say that the Mavs zone allows the Heat to take a lot of offensive rebounds.

Then there's this:

Would the Mavs be able to play Jason Terry? Yes. He played 33 minutes, and at no time were you thinking, "This is a horrible defensive mismatch, they've gotta get Terry out of there." Terry, in fact, was the only Dallas player to avoid a negative plus/minus; he finished dead even.

Of course Carlisle is going to play one of his best players for 33 minutes, how effective is that player while on the court is another thing.

Would Miami shut down Dirk? No. Nowitzki mostly did as he pleased, scoring 27 points on 18 shots and committing only two turnovers. While he was only 7-of-18 from the floor, he earned 12 free throw attempts and made all of them. Plus, as usual, he drew swarms of defensive attention, which created space for Dallas' other shooters.

I'm pretty sure Heat fans would be pleased to see Dirk scoring 27 pts on 7/18 shooting all the games of this series.

See what I did there? It's pretty simple.

Ghazi
06-02-2011, 04:29 PM
:lol Manu > Dirk
:lol DAF
:lol skullfucked by 8th seed

Phillip
06-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm not a Hollinger hater but the article is retarded, he's looking the glass half full from a Mavs perspective, I could take the same examples and make an analysis in favour of the Heat.

you arent a hollinger hater, but you are a mav hater, and a stupid fucking idiot who thinks manu > dirk

Are the Heat going to keep the three point battle close? The 11-24 3pt Fg of Miami against the 9-22 of Dallas indicates they will.

this is dumb because the mavs are known as being a great 3pt shooting team, and miami is known to struggle from there. this is pretty much an anomaly, not only that they shot as well as they did (lol fadeaway sideways 3s and pullup 3s with hands in your face), but took so many. shooting 3s is not their style of play, and going by their history, this game was more them being fortunate than actually being a team that is expected to outshoot the mavs from 3

Would the Mavs' starters be able to compete? The 27-17 bench points difference in favour of the Heat prove they can.

this doesnt even make sense. but as for the bench, all season Dallas has been known for having perhaps the best bench in the league, while Miami has been known for having one of the worst. again, this is more of an anomaly than anything.

Would Dallas shut own the big three? No, the big three mostly did as they pleased, scoring 65 pts with 28 rbs, 14 assts an 3 blks.

are you retarded? first off, no one is shutting down the big 3. second, shutting the big 3 down isnt the goal. keeping them in check is, and the mavs did a pretty solid job of that. bron was the only one who had a really good game, and even then, he was forced to do things he usually is not very proficient at.

I'm pretty sure Heat fans would be pleased to see Dirk scoring 27 pts on 7/18 shooting all the games of this series.

with 12 ftas? big difference. and exactly how often does dirk shoots that poorly? :rolleyes

See what I did there? It's pretty simple.

no youre an idiot

lol manu > dirk

dumbshit

Ghazi
06-02-2011, 04:44 PM
CRUCIFY him Phillip. send that Manu loving ass to the TREE OF WOE

DAF86
06-02-2011, 11:04 PM
you arent a hollinger hater, but you are a mav hater, and a stupid fucking idiot who thinks manu > dirk

this is dumb because the mavs are known as being a great 3pt shooting team, and miami is known to struggle from there. this is pretty much an anomaly, not only that they shot as well as they did (lol fadeaway sideways 3s and pullup 3s with hands in your face), but took so many. shooting 3s is not their style of play, and going by their history, this game was more them being fortunate than actually being a team that is expected to outshoot the mavs from 3

this doesnt even make sense. but as for the bench, all season Dallas has been known for having perhaps the best bench in the league, while Miami has been known for having one of the worst. again, this is more of an anomaly than anything.

are you retarded? first off, no one is shutting down the big 3. second, shutting the big 3 down isnt the goal. keeping them in check is, and the mavs did a pretty solid job of that. bron was the only one who had a really good game, and even then, he was forced to do things he usually is not very proficient at.

with 12 ftas? big difference. and exactly how often does dirk shoots that poorly? :rolleyes

no youre an idiot

lol manu > dirk

dumbshit

Are you really this retarded or just playing the troll character? I was mocking Hollinger's article. All of those points can be seen from both sides and get something good out of it. If you look at the three point thing Mavs fans can say "well, they won't repeat that", Heat fans will say "yes, we can compete in that area", same thing happens with the bench play an all the other things Hollinger mentioned. I wasn't making an analysis, just noting how retarded this article was.

BTW, I said Mavs will win in 5 or 6.

P/S: lol at the Pokemon fan.

DPG21920
06-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Now this was a fluke.

HornetLoveJones
06-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Now this was a fluke.

I thought that way about the way Game 4 of the OKC series ended... this was no fluke. This was a determined superstar not letting his team lose unlike 2 other guys who chucked 3 balls like they're Reggie Miller or Ray Allen out there.

ogait
06-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Now this was a fluke.

The whole game was a fluke.

Mavs dominated the first half, should be leading by 10 or more and ended up the half tied thanks to turnovers and putting the Heat on the line.

Then on the second the Heat dominated almost completely, and the Mavs made that comeback out of nowhere.

I'd like to see someone rationalizing this game.

DPG21920
06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
:lol everyone called the Mavs chokers after game 1. Now the Heat are chokers. This was a great win, but a fluke win. It's a win and all that matters. The series is likely over bc of it.

ogait
06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
I thought that way about the way Game 4 of the OKC series ended... this was no fluke. This was a determined superstar not letting his team lose unlike 2 other guys who chucked 3 balls like they're Reggie Miller or Ray Allen out there.

Funny thing is those are the shots Lebron has been making the entire playoffs, I didn't see no one criticizing him when he was making them. On the other hand everyone was pronouncing Dirk as the biggest chocker of all time before that comeback.

Like it or not luck plays a big factor in basketball.

DPG21920
06-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Against the best defense in the NBA, the mavs erased a 15 point lead with 6 minutes to go. This was also against a team that has 2 of the best offensive players in the game that make a living off of carrying teams when they need a score. People are probably not fully grasping what type of win this was.

Findog
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Against the best defense in the NBA, the mavs erased a 15 point lead with 6 minutes to go. This was also against a team that has 2 of the best offensive players in the game that make a living off of carrying teams when they need a score. People are probably not fully grasping what type of win this was.

A potential series-altering win.

Phillip
06-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Are you really this retarded or just playing the troll character? I was mocking Hollinger's article. All of those points can be seen from both sides and get something good out of it. If you look at the three point thing Mavs fans can say "well, they won't repeat that", Heat fans will say "yes, we can compete in that area", same thing happens with the bench play an all the other things Hollinger mentioned. I wasn't making an analysis, just noting how retarded this article was.

BTW, I said Mavs will win in 5 or 6.

P/S: lol at the Pokemon fan.

doesnt matter

you say manu > dirk

anything and everything else you say is worthless

lefty
06-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Hollinger :wow

Phillip
06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
A potential series-altering win.

+1

could be very similar to Game 3 of the 06 Finals, when the Mavs unexpectedly blew that game, thinking they had just put a stranglehold on the series.

Bill_Brasky
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Tbh rememba det time miami closed out chicago on the road by erasing a 10 point lead in the last 2 minutes? Yeah, this series is nowhere close to over.

DMC
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
There's no such as a fluke win. You have to do two things right, defend and score. You don't get lucky on both for 22-2 run. That's just solid basketball by one team, lapses by the other. Runs happen, the Heat just let one go on too long and at the wrong time in the game clock.

Phillip
06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
the only fluke win is if someone hurls like a full court shot as the buzzer goes off to win the game, or hits some ridiculously bizzare shot like that

DPG21920
06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I meant fluke win as in the improbability of the comeback. First time since Jordan in 1992 that a team has comeback from 15 down in the 4th to win in the finals.

Brazil
06-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I meant fluke win as in the improbability of the comeback. First time since Jordan in 1992 that a team has comeback from 15 down in the 4th to win in the finals.

dpg wrong about mavs brazil right about mavs

if the mavs don't choke and play their bb they win this shit

mavs know how to close games miami knows shit about closing games: lebron iso Offense trying to be MJ :lol when that happens thats a fluke not the contrary

Brazil
06-03-2011, 05:15 PM
^ I tried ducks style, not sure it's a success

GuerillaBlack
06-03-2011, 05:51 PM

That's true and all, but we saw what those two superstars were doing. LeBron got the ball and dribbled for 20 seconds, and either shot up a dumb, contested shot thinking it would go in, or pass it to a teammate with little time to get the shot up (Haslem). Heat just stopped playing their offense and got too cocky in their shots (like Oklahoma City did). The Heat will win game 3, IMO, but it'll be close.

Findog
06-03-2011, 06:48 PM
It's clear that Miami's athleticism and defensive intensity is giving the Mavs problems. But it is also clear that while the Mavs may have been tentative at times, they aren't anymore. The Heat were punking us with all the dunks and showboating, but we've had stretches where defensively in half court sets we've forced them into taking the shots we want them to take and walling off the paint, and on offense when we patiently run our sets with good ball movement, we can get decent looks even with how good their rotations are. There was a stretch in the second quarter where we scored on 10 straight possessions...against the #1 defense in the league.

We've shown we can compete and hang with these guys. It doesn't mean we'll win the series, but I don't think we're overmatched.

Ace
06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
When the Mavs were down by 15, they looked defeated and overmatched. Good news imo LeBron lost the game for Miami with bad shot after bad shot, which is easily something that could be corrected. Bad news is, now Dallas has confidence and is going home...

Red Hawk #21
06-03-2011, 08:16 PM
To me, the Mavs shouldn't have been down 15 in the first place. They had so many lazy and unnecessary turnovers which lead to fastbreak points for the Heat. And when the Heat weren't making 3's they were making tough shots. Next game, the Mavs need to focus on rebounding, taking care of the ball and hitting their open looks.

spurs777
06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
So true, Kidd and Dirk was aweful in the third and beginning of 4rth with their terrible passing and ballhandling