PDA

View Full Version : Shaq on 95 Finals

Lakers2009champs
06-02-2011, 02:54 AM
"If I'm going to fight you, I'd rather just beat you," he said. "If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to cry about it. . . . I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt. These guys now are crying, 'Three seconds!' It's just funny to me."

-Shaquille O'Neal

Muse
06-02-2011, 02:56 AM
:p:

Sean Cagney
06-02-2011, 03:03 AM
BEST QUOTE THERE! MY GOD most fans can learn from this shit here, hell players too! YOU LOSE YOU LOST! Just get over it and move on.

Lakers2009champs
06-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Shaquille dropped a little note to Hakeem after the finals ended, challenging him to some one-on-one. Sports Illustrated's Andy Gray unearthed the note and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL766/13370716/23815701/397058171.jpg

Sleepy_Floyd
06-02-2011, 08:10 AM
This, along with Kaazam and Shaq-Fu are what first comes to mind when I think of Shaq's carrer and legacy :downspin:

lefty
06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
He didnt say Duncan ass-raped him in 2003

Fucking hypocrit

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
"If I'm going to fight you, I'd rather just beat you," he said. "If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to cry about it. . . . I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt. These guys now are crying, 'Three seconds!' It's just funny to me."

-Shaquille O'Neal

Two bosses

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/Shaq%20and%20Hakeem%20Olajuwon/ShaqHakeem.jpg

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Probably never see again anyone with the footwork of Hakeem, the fundamentals of Duncan, or Shaq's pure dominance.

Fabbs
06-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Fucking hypocrit
And who was the team that he said they cheat to win.
After the cheating __ck Fakers were ref gifted the Kings playoff series.
Hypocrit indeed.

hater
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Hakeem The Dream

ambchang
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
And when Shaq couldn't beat the Spurs back in his Orlando days, he would lie about not getting an autograph from David Robinson.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
And when Shaq couldn't beat the Spurs back in his Orlando days, he would lie about not getting an autograph from David Robinson.

:lmao

GuerillaBlack
06-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Shaq understands that Hakeem was the best center ever to play the game. He said it himself. Shaq comes in second. Never seen a big man so dominate.

Giuseppe
06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Shaq understands that Hakeem was the best center ever to play the game. He said it himself. Shaq comes in second. Never seen a big man so dominate.

Hakeem was too brief. He lit bright & bold and then blew out like a candle in the wind.

He was too pitiful at the end. Ewing was the same way. Now Duncan insists on making an ass of himself in a like manner.:depressed

Killakobe81
06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Of course hakeem was more skilled than either Shaq or duncan ... but they also won more than he did. But keep in mind hakeem's best team-mates were a young pre-injury Sampson and an aging clyde.

Duncan had: David, manu and Tony

Shaq: Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash, Lebron and the big 3 ...

Like someone said if you like power, force with deceptive quickness Shaq is all of that...and those that think Howard is stronger becuase his muscles are ripped and Shaq's wasnt never saw the man destroy backboards and opposing big men.

What set duncan apart was his bankshot, fundamental foot-work and patience. duncan despite not being extremely athletic knew when to go quick and when to take his time on the block EXTREMELY smart post player.

Hakeem. I think the best defensive player I have ever seen. This guy did the chasedown block way before Lebron or tayshaun ...youtube the one he did on rod strickland. his quickness, anticpation, his footwork. He had in his bag of tricks:
James Worthy's best line spin ...
A jump hook ...
the dream shake ...
up and unders ..
the mchale drop-step ...
a jordanesque fade-away ...

He could pick PG's like KG, swat shots like Mutombo chase down plays like Lebron ...rebound like rodman the guy was amazing. hard for me to say any big man was better if we discount rings ...but I can't. The rings place him a notch below.

picc84
06-02-2011, 03:53 PM
3 team tournament between Shaq, Duncan, and Dream's all-time teammates, who wins?

21_Blessings
06-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Fucking hypocrit

Duncan had Robinson doing his dirty work.

dunkman
06-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Duncan has better career than both Shaq and Hakeem.

Better than Shaq, while Shaq was dominant for as many seasons as Duncan, and a little better low post scorer, Shaq was never a great defensive player.

And better than Hakeem because Hakeem initially was unpolished offensively, it took him 10 seasons to develop his (fantastic) offensive game. Duncan had much longer period of dominance which allowed him win more than Hakeem.

If we compare their primes only, Hakeem in 1995, Shaq in 2000 and Duncan in 2003, it's difficult to say who was the best.

Amaso
06-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Better than Shaq, while Shaq was dominant for as many seasons as Duncan, and a little better low post scorer, Shaq was never a great defensive player.

And better than Hakeem because Hakeem initially was unpolished offensively, it took him 10 seasons to develop his (fantastic) offensive game. Duncan had much longer period of dominance which allowed him win more than Hakeem.

If we compare their primes only, Hakeem in 1995, Shaq in 2000 and Duncan in 2003, it's difficult to say who was the best.

Strong basketball history knowledge. Hakeem always had a very strong offensive game, amazing footwork and a soft touch will do that. Hakeem was a superstar that had literally 0 talent around him post 86, and won with role players in 94, and an old drexler in 95. Hakeem was dominant from 85-95, while duncan was dominant from 99-07. Duncan won more championships because he had talent and good role players surrounding him his entire career.

Greg Oden
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM

:lmao I don't think I've ever heard such a retarded statement.

Hakeem had 12 seasons of at least 20 and 10, missing the 13th by less than a rebound, compared to Duncan's 9 such seasons. And Hakeem shot over 50% from the field his first 13 seasons.

The notion that Hakeem had a few excellent seasons and barely anything else is a retarded myth, especially from spurfans.

TheMACHINE
06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Probably never see again anyone with the footwork of Hakeem, the fundamentals of Duncan, or Shaq's pure dominance.

Bynum in a few years.

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 05:40 PM

You're a retard

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Bynum in a few years.

Should've saved that one for April fool's

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
strong basketball history knowledge. Hakeem always had a very strong offensive game, amazing footwork and a soft touch will do that. Hakeem was a superstar that had literally 0 talent around him post 86, and won with role players in 94, and an old drexler in 95. Hakeem was dominant from 85-95, while duncan was dominant from 99-07. Duncan won more championships because he had talent and good role players surrounding him his entire career.

:lmao i don't think i've ever heard such a retarded statement.

Hakeem had 12 seasons of at least 20 and 10, missing the 13th by less than a rebound, compared to duncan's 9 such seasons. And hakeem shot over 50% from the field his first 13 seasons.

The notion that hakeem had a few excellent seasons and barely anything else is a retarded myth, especially from spurfans.

this

dunkman
06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Strong basketball history knowledge. Hakeem always had a very strong offensive game, amazing footwork and a soft touch will do that. Hakeem was a superstar that had literally 0 talent around him post 86, and won with role players in 94, and an old drexler in 95. Hakeem was dominant from 85-95, while duncan was dominant from 99-07. Duncan won more championships because he had talent and good role players surrounding him his entire career.

He looked great when he made that long fadeaway jumper, but he missed them often. He made 1.28 points out of every field goal attempt. And that was in time when defensive schemes were less elaborate. Contemporary bigs like Robinson (1.46), Malone (1.41), Barkley (1.52) and even Ewing (1.29) were more efficient.

Duncan is 1.32 and Shaq 1.47, however defense was more elaborate in their playtime.

In '95 Hakeem had Drexler still in his prime also various clutch players like Horry, Cassell and Elie.

In '94 Hakeem was without Drexler but it's not so big deal for Duncan though, he also made something similar in '03 and against much better competition.

dunkman
06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
You're a retard

Sure an retard must think everyone is a retard, but keep in mind it's not really like that . . . :lol

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 06:13 PM
He looked great when he made that long fadeaway jumper, but he missed them often. He made 1.28 points out of every field goal attempt. And that was in time when defensive schemes were less elaborate. Contemporary bigs like Robinson (1.46), Malone (1.41), Barkley (1.52) and even Ewing (1.29) were more efficient.

Duncan is 1.32 and Shaq 1.47, however defense was more elaborate in their playtime.

In '95 Hakeem had Drexler still in his prime also various clutch players like Horry, Cassell and Elie.

In '94 Hakeem was without Drexler but it's not so big deal for Duncan though, he also made something similar in '03 and against much better competition.

Hakeem was a better defender/rebounder and a better scorer.

In 1994, he won Defensive Player of the Year and was 3rd in the league in scoring. Meaning he was the best defender in the league and at worst the 3rd best offensive player in the league. In the playoffs he went through Malone's Jazz, Barkley's Suns and Ewings Knicks with no other all-star teammates to win a title. So your notion that Duncan had better competition is FALSE

In 1995 he went through Malone, Barkley, Shaq, and Robinson, without having home court in any round. Those 2 post seasons combined, he averaged around 30, 12, 4 and 4.

dunkman
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
:lmao I don't think I've ever heard such a retarded statement.

Hakeem had 12 seasons of at least 20 and 10, missing the 13th by less than a rebound, compared to Duncan's 9 such seasons. And Hakeem shot over 50% from the field his first 13 seasons.

The notion that Hakeem had a few excellent seasons and barely anything else is a retarded myth, especially from spurfans.

Some time from now somebody will compare Duncan's and KG's stats and will say KG was a better player. However, KG often played in trash time padding his stats, he didn't dominate inside, he didn't command so much defensive attention, and he couldn't guard very strong players.

Slightly over 50% FG% from the field is a disgrace without made FT's, that alone doesn't say enough.

Greg Oden
06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
What the hell does all those things that pertain to KG have to do with Hakeem? Hakeem obviously did dominate inside, commanded defensive attention, and guard strong players. So what's your point?

Slightly over 50% FG% from the field is a disgrace without made FT's, that alone doesn't say enough.

So what does that say about the seasons Duncan's FG% was < 50? Kareems career FT % was also higher :lol

dunkman
06-02-2011, 07:01 PM

In 1994, he won Defensive Player of the Year and was 3rd in the league in scoring. Meaning he was the best defender in the league and at worst the 3rd best offensive player in the league. In the playoffs he went through Malone's Jazz, Barkley's Suns and Ewings Knicks with no other all-star teammates to win a title. So your notion that Duncan had better competition is FALSE

In 1995 he went through Malone, Barkley, Shaq, and Robinson, without having home court in any round. Those 2 post seasons combined, he averaged around 30, 12, 4 and 4.

Anyone who saw Duncan play knew he could drop 30, 40 or even 50 on anyone between 1999 and 2004. But that's not how the Spurs play, Pop wanted him to move the ball and share the field goal attempts. In the end, the Spurs won more than the Rockets.

Hakeem was in his prime during his two championship runs. Great runs, but Duncan is also considered to be better than Malone, Barkley, Ewing and Robinson.

While they didn't guard one another very often, Duncan played better than Shaq various times in the playoffs (sometimes Shaq played better too). Now, Duncan always faced Shaq in his prime.

Hakeem played against Shaq when he was 22 and had dismal 1 point per shot efficiency while Shaq scored in similar numbers in far less FGA's.

Prime Shaq, prime Kobe and Phil Jackson was better than anything Hakeem ever faced, and Duncan was too the only all-star of the 02/03 team.

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone who saw Duncan play knew he could drop 30, 40 or even 50 on anyone between 1999 and 2004. But that's not how the Spurs play, Pop wanted him to move the ball and share the field goal attempts. In the end, the Spurs won more than the Rockets.

Hakeem was in his prime during his two championship runs. Great runs, but Duncan is also considered to be better than Malone, Barkley, Ewing and Robinson.

While they didn't guard one another very often, Duncan played better than Shaq various times in the playoffs (sometimes Shaq played better too). Now, Duncan always faced Shaq in his prime.

Hakeem played against Shaq when he was 22 and had dismal 1 point per shot efficiency while Shaq scored in similar numbers in far less FGA's.

Prime Shaq, prime Kobe and Phil Jackson was better than anything Hakeem ever faced, and Duncan was too the only all-star of the 02/03 team.

:lmao You're contradicting yourself. If Duncan was more dominate than Hakeem, than that's not a reason that he wouldn't be more dominant. It's because he wasn't. Hakeem was just more dominant on offense and defense. Hakeem is the only center to rank among top 10 players in steals, and is the all time shot block leader.

2. Shaq averaged around 28 a game in the finals, so it wasn't like Hakeem didn't face a prime Shaq. PLUS, Shaq was in shape then.

3. Really? So that Lakers team was better than the Showtime Lakers in the 80's or the 80's Celtics that Hakeem had dealt with? Outside of Shaq (Who was not in shape that season due to the toe surgery) and Kobe, that Lakers team was strapped of depth

Oh and Hakeem's prime wasn't just two years. He put up like 20 and 10 for 12 years, 25 and 10 for 4 years, while Duncan did it for 9. So longevitywise, Hakeem was still beasting at Duncan's age right now

Proxy
06-02-2011, 07:22 PM

The competition level is a matter of opinion. None of the teams Hakeem went through were even close to the level of the LA 3-peat team. The '95 Rockets would not have beat Prime Shaq and Kobe. Duncan did, and without a second all-star as well.

All 3 players have their own specific skill set.
Hakeem gives you stellar defense
Shaq gives you a dominating presence on both ends
Duncan gives you the longevity, and a secondary PG role at the post
... while all 3 give you 20 and 10 each night in HOF fashion.

Saying one of the three is more skilled than the other isn't a valid argument, since they all have different skill sets. While Hakeem has the better footwork of the three, Duncan is better fundamentally, and Shaq is more powerful. You can't knock TD and Shaq down just because their games weren't as aesthetically pleasing as the Dream's was.

due to the longevity and collected accolades of TD and Shaq, they deserve to be ranked higher than Hakeem. It really shouldn't be an argument unless you're a homer for Houston.

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
The competition level is a matter of opinion. None of the teams Hakeem went through were even close to the level of the LA 3-peat team. The '95 Rockets would not have beat Prime Shaq and Kobe. Duncan did, and without a second all-star as well.

All 3 players have their own specific skill set.
Hakeem gives you stellar defense
Shaq gives you a dominating presence on both ends
Duncan gives you the longevity, and a secondary PG role at the post
... while all 3 give you 20 and 10 each night in HOF fashion.

Saying one of the three is more skilled than the other isn't a valid argument, since they all have different skill sets. While Hakeem has the better footwork of the three, Duncan is better fundamentally, and Shaq is more powerful. You can't knock TD and Shaq down just because their games weren't as aesthetically pleasing as the Dream's was.

due to the longevity and collected accolades of TD and Shaq, they deserve to be ranked higher than Hakeem. It really shouldn't be an argument unless you're a homer for Houston.

Ranking Duncan higher than Hakeem because of rings is ignoring the fact that Hakeem was the better player. Horry has 7 rings, so we can rank him ahead of Duncan too right? Hakeem was the better two way player, covered alot more ground on defense, and performed better under pressure.

Proxy
06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh and Hakeem's prime wasn't just two years. He put up like 20 and 10 for 12 years, 25 and 10 for 4 years, while Duncan did it for 9. So longevitywise, Hakeem was still beasting at Duncan's age right now

For 9? how do you justify that?

Duncan has 13 (9 1st, 3 2nd, 1 3rd) all NBA appearances
to the Dream's 12 (6 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd)

Duncan even has 13 all Defense appearances to Hakeem's 9.

While Hakeem has the DMVPs, lets not forget TDs 2 MVPs and 4 rings.... so if you want to argue longevity, then you're a fool

Proxy
06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Ranking Duncan higher than Hakeem because of rings is ignoring the fact that Hakeem was the better player. Horry has 7 rings, so we can rank him ahead of Duncan too right? Hakeem was the better two way player, covered alot more ground on defense, and performed better under pressure.

it isn't just rings. It's All-NBA appearances and MVP awards too.

Shut the fuck up with the Horry argument too. That's weak.

Proxy
06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
And what proof do you have that Hakeem performed better under pressure? They're all the same in that regard. That's why they're all hall of famers. Every post you make just exposes you for the homer that you are.

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
it isn't just rings. It's All-NBA appearances and MVP awards too.

Shut the fuck up with the Horry argument too. That's weak.

Which rely on voting and aren't an exact science. Proof - Kobe again on the all nba first team defense to which Kobe has been on since 05. :lmao Two different eras. Hakeem came in during the showtime Lakers and the Bird Celtics, that's a big difference

djohn2oo8
06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
For 9? how do you justify that?

Duncan has 13 (9 1st, 3 2nd, 1 3rd) all NBA appearances
to the Dream's 12 (6 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd)

Duncan even has 13 all Defense appearances to Hakeem's 9.

While Hakeem has the DMVPs, lets not forget TDs 2 MVPs and 4 rings.... so if you want to argue longevity, then you're a fool

That's why Hakeem still was putting up 23 and 9 at 34.

Capt Bringdown
06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Hakeem's 94/95 performances were the best big-man play I've ever seen in the playoffs. As great as Duncan has been, he's never produced an awesome display of basketball such as we witnessed in Hakeem's utter destruction of David Robinson.

Proxy
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
That's why Hakeem still was putting up 23 and 9 at 34.

If you're going to keep ignoring the entirety of my posts, then I'll stop wasting my time with you.

The all-nba appearances show that TD has been better quality and quantity wise... I won't deny the fact that Hakeem put on arguably, the greatest big man display of all time in 95, but one season doesn't make a legend. If it did, then we would have the Reignman in the hall of fame.