PDA

View Full Version : Donaghy on 2011 Final Game 1

La Peace
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Tim Donaghy On Game 1: How The Refs Set The Tone Of A Game
Tim Donaghy — As he did for us last year, Tim Donaghy, a contributing writer for The Sports Connection and a former NBA referee who spent 11 months in prison for relaying inside information to gamblers, will review the performance of his former colleagues during the NBA Finals. Here's a quarter-by-quarter break down of Game 1, with accompanying video.

FIRST QUARTER

11:22 [MIA 2-0] Quick three-second call on Tyson Chandler. Ball is deflected and loose. Three-second violations, like handchecks, are often made early in a game to set a tone and open up the lane so players can get to the basket.

10:50 [MIA 4-0] Cheap foul on Dwyane Wade. Another call to set the tone for the game and the series. If this type of play were whistled all night, there would be 100 fouls called in the game.

10:23 [MIA 4-2] Jason Kidd is in the lane and never clears. A defender in the paint for more than three seconds must be within arm's length of an opponent unless his man has the ball. Kidd is in the paint for eight seconds.

7:49 [MIA 6-4] Bosh sets an illegal screen on Stevenson. Bosh must give a defender time and space to stop and/or change direction. Missed call.

7:35 [MIA 6-4] Bosh pushes off on this rebound, but Dallas keeps the balls as it goes out of bounds. Had Miami gained control, this foul would've been called.

5:30 [MIA 10-5] Cheap foul on Nowitzki as James runs into him. Similar play occurs in the second quarter with Barea at 6:54 and no call is made.

4:51 [MIA 11-8] James clear lifts his left foot, his pivot foot, allowing him to get off a pass. Travel missed.

3:47 [MIA 13-11] James lowers his shoulder into Chandler on a drive to the basket. This is a missed offensive foul — too much contact to ignore.

http://deadspin.com/5807464/tim-donaghy-on-game-1-how-the-refs-set-the-tone-of-a-series/gallery/1
Link contains actual video clips of all the calls in discussion.

Just some tainted insight.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Hiring a felon lol

Hooks
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Fuck the Lakers.

TampaDude
06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Tim Donaghy calling out NBA refs is like Floyd Landis accusing Lance Armstrong of doping. :lol

badfish22
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Only call I can remember having a problem with was that Dirk strip late in the game. Looked clean.

stretch
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Only call I can remember having a problem with was that Dirk strip late in the game. Looked clean.

There were a couple others I didn't like (call on Stevenson in the 3rd giving Wade an and-1, and Dirk being called for an over the back on Miller in the 4th were both REALLY weak or nonexistent), but all games have a few bad calls both ways. Like Marion should not have been granted continuation when Miller elbowed him in the head.

I felt it was pretty decent overall. Mavs (Chandler and Dirk in particular) just need to get more physical on the rebounds.

badfish22
06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Chandler only having 4 boards is pathetic. Really need him to step up. Haywood outplayed him in game 1 imho.

Findog
06-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Chandler only having 4 boards is pathetic. Really need him to step up. Haywood outplayed him in game 1 imho.

He does need to step up but it's partially having him guard Bosh and being drawn out to the high post.

badfish22
06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
He does need to step up but it's partially having him guard Bosh and being drawn out to the high post.

I saw many boards that were in his reach that he just didn't get. I even remember one that Miller got over him.

badfish22
06-02-2011, 04:09 PM

And looking back at it, Bosh had more offensive rebounds than Chandler had total rebounds.