View Full Version : Olajuwon offers up some advice

Jimcs50
06-10-2005, 07:41 AM
June 10, 2005, 2:18AM

Olajuwon offers up some advice
By FRAN BLINEBURY
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
RESOURCES

SAN ANTONIO - Hakeem Olajuwon returned to the NBA Finals to get a close look at what he started.

There was a Spurs roster with Manu Ginobili from Argentina, Tony Parker from France, Rasho Nesterovic and Beno Udrih from Slovenia. In the other locker room was Darko Milicic from Serbia-Montenegro.

"It is the world's game now," said Olajuwon, who recently returned to the United States after completing another two semesters of Arabic language study at the University of Jordan.

He was attending his first NBA game since November 2002, when his number 34 was retired at Compaq Center.

"If you have the talent, you can come to the NBA and play at the highest level," he said. "It doesn't matter what you are from. The world is open."

It wasn't that way 24 years ago, Olajuwon arrived in Houston from Lagos, Nigeria, and became a pioneer.

"I never imagined that it would grow like this, that the international influence would be so great," he said. "I think it is wonderful for the NBA and wonderful just for the game of basketball."

Olajuwon drove in from Houston with his friend, Bejan Esmali, and they attended the Spurs' shootaround Thursday morning, when he spent some time giving Tim Duncan some pointers.

"Hakeem was reluctant to go there," said Esmali. "He didn't want to act like he was big time and trying to take the show from the Spurs. But he got to the court, and the players were all over him. Tim reached out and told Hakeem he wanted to talk. It touched Hakeem."

Olajuwon offered tips from one great big man to another.

"I was honored that Tim Duncan wanted to hear what I had to say. He is a great player, so fundamentally sound. I just offered him a few things that could maybe open up his game to a different level."

And the series?

"The home court means a lot," he said. "And the Spurs are a team that doesn't make mistakes." :smokin

MaNuMaNiAc
06-10-2005, 08:08 AM
I find it funny when they say the "NBA" is full of foreigners, when in reality the only team that has foreigners playing an intrical part in the championship run are the Spurs. What other team had the international roster that we have? Ofcourse there are some other teams that have bothered to look overseas for players, but not in the way the Spurs have.

Jimcs50
06-10-2005, 08:12 AM
I think Dallas and Sacto had more foreign players playing integral parts in their team's success than SA in the past years. They started the influx and the Spurs went with it later.

CyberSnake
06-10-2005, 08:51 AM
"I was honored that Tim Duncan wanted to hear what I had to say. He is a great player, so fundamentally sound. I just offered him a few things that could maybe open up his game to a different level."

That's interesting.
"reached out and told Hakeem he wanted to talk" that so not like Tim that WE know.
I guess Tim respects Hakeem quite a bit but then again they do seem to be the same type of superstar, quite and unassuming.
I wonder what the conversation went like.

ambchang
06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Hakeem is a cool dude, and despite him dispatching the Spurs in 95, I still respect him as a basketball player. He is probably my favourite non-spur of all time (Magic #1).

NCaliSpurs
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Hakeem should be mentioned as a top 5 center all time and is wholly ignored.

Jimcs50
06-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Hakeem should be mentioned as a top 5 center all time and is wholly ignored.

He is considered Top 5 in every conversation.

Solid D
06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Detroit spends tons of money on international scouting led by Tony Ronzone.

leemajors
06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
the dream shake was unstoppable

boutons
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Can't anybody find a pic of Tim and Hakeem?
Where are the paparazzi when you really want them?

LilMissSPURfect
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Can't anybody find a pic of Tim and Hakeem?
Where are the paparazzi when you really want them?

Hakeem , David and Tim would be sweeter..

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I thought it was kind of crappy for some at the game to boo Hakeem when he came out on the floor last night. Clyde Drexler got a wonderful reception, but Dream got a mixture of boos and cheering and it wasn't nearly as loud for Dream as it was for Clyde. I understand the whole 1995 thing, but Drexler got the Spurs in 1995 and in 1990 (and beat the crap out of Willie Anderson along the way).

Dream was one of the very best ever. He deserves nothing but praise for his basketball exploits.

DDS4
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
If Tim was smart, he should've soaked up anything Hakeem had to offer. It's not often you have a non-Spur legend come by.

wildbill2u
06-10-2005, 11:47 AM

That's interesting.
"reached out and told Hakeem he wanted to talk" that so not like Tim that WE know.
I guess Tim respects Hakeem quite a bit but then again they do seem to be the same type of superstar, quite and unassuming.
I wonder what the conversation went like.

Hakeem had the best footwork of any center, ever, (with the possible mention of Kevin McHale who had to have footwork since he had no physical ability).

It would be awesome if Hakeem coached Timmy on his pivot moves. Tim is not above listening to and learning from the best ever.

E20
06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Hakeem is fucking sick!!!!

picnroll
06-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I hope Amare never talks to Hakeem. He's alrady a handfull.

E20
06-10-2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050609/050609_14.jpg

This pic was on Spurs.com

Question:
Is Hakeem in the HOF?

TDfan2007
06-10-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050609/050609_14.jpg

This pic was on Spurs.com

Question:
Is Hakeem in the HOF?

he should be.

WalterBenitez
06-10-2005, 03:34 PM
June 10, 2005, 2:18AM
Olajuwon offers up some advice

I did not watch Olajuwon a lot, I know he was a great player, but i'd like to know if his game was similar to TD's game?

E20
06-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Hakeem was more of a point guard than a power forward.

I remeber two Dream Shakes very well, one was on David Robinson and the other was Shaquille O'neal. He had them way up in the air with his fake, it made laugh out loud.

WalterBenitez
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Hakeem was more of a point guard than a power forward.

I remeber two Dream Shakes very well, one was on David Robinson and the other was Shaquille O'neal. He had them way up in the air with his fake, it made laugh out loud.

thx

CaptainLate
06-10-2005, 03:48 PM
the dream shake was unstoppable

It's about time Tim developed that turnaround baseliner (like Rasheed). Tim would then truly be UNstoppable. I can only imagine what DRob could have been had he developed a decent hook shot.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-10-2005, 03:50 PM
I did not watch Olajuwon a lot, I know he was a great player, but i'd like to know if his game was similar to TD's game?

His game envolved more muscle than TD. That said, he wasn't Shaq, a pure muscle monster. He had sweeet post moves, a good post, hook shots, great footwork, but didn't have TD's range (he could hit jumpshots, but not as well as Timmy). He evolved into a more complex player around 1992, before that he didn't try jumpers or fadeaways. His rebounding numbers aren't as good as Timmy (TD averages one rebound more than Hakeem in their compared careers so far). His defence was awesome, he averaged something like 3 blocks per game, and was selected Defensive Player of the Year (93, 94), and to the All Defensive Team (five times).

In my opinion, one of the greatest big men of all time.

timvp
06-10-2005, 04:18 PM
I thought it was kind of crappy for some at the game to boo Hakeem when he came out on the floor last night. Clyde Drexler got a wonderful reception, but Dream got a mixture of boos and cheering and it wasn't nearly as loud for Dream as it was for Clyde. I understand the whole 1995 thing, but Drexler got the Spurs in 1995 and in 1990 (and beat the crap out of Willie Anderson along the way).

Dream was one of the very best ever. He deserves nothing but praise for his basketball exploits.

I was actually surprised he got as many cheers as he got. His demolition of the Spurs in 1995 was one of the low points in the franchise. He killed David Robinson and San Antonio. At the time he was more unpopluar than Santa Ana.

I guess Spurs fans forgive and forget, but that would be like Bob Stoops getting cheers in Austin.

Oh well.

:hat

T Park
06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I thought it was kind of crappy for some at the game to boo Hakeem when he came out on the floor last night

why, the guy was a hated rival.

I think its kinda crappy how people in this forum are always on their fuckin high horses telling people how they should act

Fuck Hakeem.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2005, 04:23 PM
I think the boos were boos of respect, if you can buy that.

Not boos because he's disliked, but 1995 was just so painful. Everyone was booing with memories of DRob helplessly caught in the air against the Dream Shake.

The cheers for Ice gave me chills, though.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 04:45 PM

I think its kinda crappy how people in this forum are always on their fuckin high horses telling people how they should act

Fuck Hakeem.

Yeah, thanks for giving me that context. You know, I just started following the Spurs. :rolleyes

I'm not telling anyone how to act, TPark. It's just my opinion.

I'm just wishing that fans would appreciate that the men who were at center court last night entertained all of us for years. Hakeem played for the Rockets and his team burst the bubble in one of the years that the Spurs had a chance. But, you know, it's inconsistent to me that the fans who booed Hakeem would give a rousing cheer for Clyde Drexler. I guess you could extend the same logic to Mario Elie and Robert Horry, both of whom played key roles in dispatching the Spurs in the 1995 WCF. Somehow, people forgave those guys enough to cheer loudly for all of them, but can't take a step back and appreciate that Hakeem was a tremendous ball player and, from what I know, a good man, too.

Nice perspective.

By the way, ShoogarBear, I can buy that the boos were "boos of respect;" in fact, that was my rationalization for it last night. But when I'm the Supreme Ruler of the World, I'll outlaw those kinds of things. :king

Boos were appropriate in 1995; I thought respectful cheers were a better choice last night.

That's just me.

whottt
06-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I am surprised he got booed too...Yeah Hakeem whipped our butts but he was classy about it. I bet the boos he got were nothing like what Shaq will get in SA until the end of time. And IIRC Drob and Hakeem actually became fairly good friends during the 96 Olympics.

I think it's actually it's cool that Hakeem came to the game...it's too bad Drob wasn't there.

Hakeem was as classy on the court as any bigman to play in the NBA...The fact that he didn't want to act like he knew more than Duncan or show him up shows what kind of player he was...

But he needs a reality check...he most definitely was bigtime...and I am sure Duncan loved getting the chance to talk with him...Duncan's game is lot more like Hakeem's than it is like Drob's....What could Duncan really learn about moves from the physical freak that was Drob?

Drob: Hey Tim...try this move...be 7'1, the fastest guy on the court, able to jump through the Gym, and have upperbody strength that's almost in Shaq's league...it worked pretty well for me.

Tim: Uh thanks...I'll work on that one Dave.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2005, 04:50 PM
But, you know, it's inconsistent to me that the fans who booed Hakeem would give a rousing cheer for Clyde Drexler. I guess you could extend the same logic to Mario Elie and Robert Horry, both of whom played key roles in dispatching the Spurs in the 1995 WCF.

Drexler memories just don't cause the same pain, and Elie and Horry, of course, eventually ended up with the good guys--one winning a ring and the other trying to.

By the way, ShoogarBear, I can buy that the boos were "boos of respect," but when I'm the Supreme Ruler of the World, I'll outlaw those kinds of things. Boos were appropriate in 1995; I thought respectful cheers were a better choice last night.

Another five years and we'll be ready to cheer. As it was, I think most people were booing with a smile on their face.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Question:
Is Hakeem in the HOF?

His last season was 2001-02. He will be eligible in 2007.

whottt
06-10-2005, 05:13 PM
There was no excuse to boo Hakeem...We'd be outraged if the Rocketfans booed a retired David Robinson...IIRC the Rockets honored Drob during his last season(and game there) and he didn't get booed...and Hakeem was just as classy of an opponent as Drob was.

That's almost like LakerFans booing Bill Rusell....it was 10 years ago, Hakeem is retired and he is an elder statesmen of the game now whose awesome play no longer threatens anyone. Hakeem was an honorable rival that played the game the right way...he deserved better than to be booed when he was HONORING us by coming to our arena to watch our team play in the NBA finals. I am sure he was rooting for his old Texas rival and former teamate Horry to win and keep it in state since his team can't.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
His last season was 2001-02. He will be eligible in 2007.

and since he was a dominant player in both college and the NBA -- and since there is no NBA HOF, just a "Basketball HOF," which accounts for both collegiate and professional accomplishments -- Hakeem will be a no brainer on the first ballot in 2007.

And for what its worth -- I cheered, LOUDLY, last night when Hakeem was introduced.

I actually applauded as the Pistons were introduced last night.

myhc
06-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Fuck Hakeem.

It's called sportsmanship. And you've got your own issues if you think calling something as it is, acting like a classless fool and booing a guy like Hakeem, is the same thing as telling someone "how to act."

T Park
06-10-2005, 05:28 PM
It's called sportsmanship

WTF, it doesnt apply to joe blow in the stands who just spent 400 bucks a pop to go to that game last night.

If they want to boo Hakeem Olajuwon, they can, and I support it.

You dont stop hating a guy like Hakeem after the 95 season.

He humiliated David Robinson in that series.

Absolutely disgustingly humiliated him.

Im suprised, that Whottt, the biggest DROB supporter would not have done that extremely loudly.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I was and still am, a big anti-Rocket fan....but as a fan who believes in sportsmanship...I give credit where it is due. I never rooted for Hakeem but I had and still have, the utmost respect for him on and off the court. The dude was incredible even when taking out the Spurs. He had a killer instinct but carried himself with dignity and class. I would have cheered for him.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 05:30 PM
He humiliated David Robinson in that series.

and yet David still thinks very highly of him and still speaks well of him....if its good enough for Dave...its good enough for me.

ShoogarBear
06-10-2005, 05:32 PM
There's a difference between an opponent who is an ass versus one who has merely just kicked yours.

myhc
06-10-2005, 05:39 PM
WTF, it doesnt apply to joe blow in the stands who just spent 400 bucks a pop to go to that game last night.

:rollin

So the less sophisticated and the people who can't afford courtside tickets are exempt from being called classless because..........they're naturally part of a lower social class! Got it!!!! So what about the more sophisticated fans who were sitting closer to the court and who booed him. Can I still call them classless whiners or does their higher social status give them exemption from the sportsmanship rule too?

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 05:48 PM

Pay your money and you can do pretty much whatever you want, right? I'm sure those jackholes in Detroit (the handful of real troublemakers) agree with you completely, TPark.

I guess it comes down to this: if you don't believe in being respectful of those who've accomplished a great deal and a good sport about recognizing achievement in athletics, there's really no problem with booing Hakeem or anyone else who beat your team. After all, it's a good practice to remain bent about a loss for 10 years -- it does the soul a lot of good.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 05:55 PM
After all, it's a good practice to remain bent about a loss for 10 years -- it does the soul a lot of good.

You mean changing the channel every time "the Catch" is shown, is a bad thing? :lol

E20
06-10-2005, 05:56 PM
:lmao @ TPark, doesn't have a clue.

Hakeem was a badass player on and off the court.

whottt
06-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Im suprised, that Whottt, the biggest DROB supporter would not have done that extremely loudly.

It's overblown...I actually was at the SA games in person...I'm telling you guys that if Hakeem had to guard Drob one(and he didn't in SA) on one he wouldn't have had those kinds of numbers, look at nearly every game they played outside of that series...he'd have been in foul trouble...he could never handle David one on one without getting in foul trouble. Drob's offensive numbers would have still been bad because he didn't have anyone that could stretch the defense under playoff pressure other than the Rifleman and he was pretty much done by then.

I don't think David played that badly considering he was doubled and even tripled at times, ...the Rockets were the better team , they were more talented and they were better coached...it hurt, but I wasn't that surprised by it...they were the defending champs and we were 2 players away from being a top lottery contender.

I've never had the perspective on that series that most people have...all you gotta do is listen to Rudy T talk about Drob and his ability to get to the foul line and you'd know there was no way he would have left Hakeem on David one on one for an entire game. Rudy T is one of the biggest backers Drob had.

Even if was true though...I still wouldn't boo Hakeem now that he's retired...because he was as classy an opponent as there was, in fact he was probably the classiest rival the Spurs have ever had...he never badmouthed an opponent....he wasn't one of the guys that called Drob soft..in fact he's said otherwise...he never played dirty...if he had issues(like Drob not mentioning him during his MVP acceptance speech)...he settled them on the court.

Shaq deserves to be booed until the end of time...Hakeem no longer deserved boos the day he retired...not even the respect boos...if you really want to respect a great rival at the end of their playing days, you cheer them, that's the ultimate sign of respect for their career...and Hakeem's career deserved it...

Besides he swept Shaq's fucking ass out of the finals like they were a CBA team...how can you not like that?

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 05:59 PM
You mean changing the channel every time "the Catch" is shown, is a bad thing? :lol

Ok, you make a compelling argument with that one, mikey. Good point.

You know, now that I think about it, I still hate f'ing Clark High School for that beatdown they put on me and my Marshall Rams in 1988 (ahem, 38-9). Bastards. I make it a point to boo those guys everytime I see them . . . .

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Its ok...I remember in '86 when Marshall hosed us (Taft) 15-14. :)

whottt
06-10-2005, 06:01 PM
What happened last night was the equivalent of Celtics Fans booing Magic Johnson at Larry Bird's jersey retirement ceremony. It was a stupid thing to do. I think it's bad ass that Hakeem actually attended a Spurs game...it probably won't ever happen again.

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
It also didn't help that Rodman stood under the basket and watched Horry nail 3's.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Its ok...I remember in '86 when Marshall hosed us (Taft) 15-14. :)

Yes, a rare victory against a Northside team in that era for the mighty Rams!! That was the last one for a good while -- I'm pretty sure that MHS and THS tied in 87, and I know that we (Marshall) got shut out in 88 and 89.

Those bitter memories . . . .

maybe I should have booed Hakeem after all. :lol

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes, a rare victory against a Northside team in that era for the mighty Rams!! That was the last one for a good while -- I'm pretty sure that MHS and THS tied in 87, and I know that we (Marshall) got shut out in 88 and 89.

Those bitter memories . . . .

Bitter for YOU maybe! :)

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 06:06 PM
What happened last night was the equivalent of Celtics Fans booing Magic Johnson at Larry Bird's jersey retirement ceremony. It was a stupid thing to do. I think it's bad ass that Hakeem actually attended a Spurs game...it probably won't ever happen again.

I think that's right. Frankly, Hakeem seemed surprised to hear any boos, and I can't say that I blame him, particularly after Drexler got such a great reception.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Bitter for YOU maybe! :)

well, yeah, but I'm a raging bitterman most of the time anyway. :lol

oh wait, I forgot for a second there -- I'm not TPark.

E20
06-10-2005, 10:02 PM
On the topic of 'Top 5 Centers' what would be like, I'm thinking like this:

(No particular order)

Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bill Russel
Hakeem Olajuwon
David Robinson

???

Kori Ellis
06-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Why was it okay for Spurs fans to boo each Pistons player last night as they were introduced but it's not okay to boo Hakeem?

Fans can boo whoever they want. It's not people were cursing or throwing things at him.

Kori Ellis
06-10-2005, 10:09 PM
:rollin

So the less sophisticated and the people who can't afford courtside tickets are exempt from being called classless because..........they're naturally part of a lower social class! Got it!!!! So what about the more sophisticated fans who were sitting closer to the court and who booed him. Can I still call them classless whiners or does their higher social status give them exemption from the sportsmanship rule too?

For the record, when Tpark said people spent $400 for seats last night, I think he was talking about people in the balcony. A pair of courtside seats went for $8,000 to last night's game.

E20
06-10-2005, 10:10 PM
http://sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg
They're mad because he owned Drob in the 1995 NBA playoffs!! :lol

exstatic
06-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Yes Hakeem kicked SA tail more than a few times. He was redeemed by:

offering a few tips to Tim on how to expand his game. He didn't have to.

reining in that fool Abdul Rauf when he tried to say that Muslim's can't respect the flag.

Brutalis
06-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I really can't be a fan of Ice other than cause was was a Spur once. I never knew or watched his game personally. Only 20 and havent seen much footage I guess.

Hakeem/DRob best centers of the 90s imho talent wise.

He had the cast DRob didn't though.

FromWayDowntown
06-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Why was it okay for Spurs fans to boo each Pistons player last night as they were introduced but it's not okay to boo Hakeem?

Fans can boo whoever they want. It's not people were cursing or throwing things at him.

I don't disagree -- I just thought it was in bad taste; just my opinion. Like I say, I was down with booing Hakeem in 1995, but I dislike booing retired players. Just my thing.

And, as I said earlier, I actually applauded the Pistons as they were introduced. I have a great deal of respect for that team and its players. I didn't go crazy in hollering for them, but I felt obliged to applaud cordially out of respect. Again, just my thing.